November 17th, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga was fined $15,750 for his hit on New York Giants wide receiver Domenik Hixon during the first quarter of a 31-13 Bengals victory last Sunday. The play drew a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness, and after review, the league determined Maualuga "struck a defenseless player in the head and neck area."

Hixon suffered a high ankle sprain during that play as the force of the hit bent him awkwardly backwards over his leg/ankle. He would not return to the game and may miss several weeks.

Maualuga was later involved on another questionable hit when he struck running back Ahmad Bradshaw helmet-to-helmet. However, the league determined that Bradshaw, who was sent for X-Rays on his neck after the game, was not a defenseless player.

This marks the second time this year that an opposing player has been fined for an illegal hit on Hixon. In week two, Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster was fined $21,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Hixon which resulted in a concussion for the veteran wide receiver.

photo credit: dweiskir via photopin cc

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Domenik Hixon, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rey Maualuga

36 Responses to “Cincinnati Bengals’ Rey Maualuga Fined $15,750 for Hit on New York Giants’ Domenik Hixon”

Well Dan, first of all, you’re an “old soul”. Revel in that compliment. Maybe it explains the pre-dawn awakening.

Second, Maualuga was a dirty player at USC and he remains so. Maybe it’s the booze. Maybe he’s just a thug.

There are still players in this league who think that being a mad dog and dirty hitter are the best ways to stay employed and get paid. That’s why I fully support the league’s crackdown on this stuff. I’ve said it many times: the future of the sport is at stake in this battle to improve player safety. If you want to see great NFL football the rest of your life you should be cheering Goodell on, because if they don’t clean it up the mothers of America are going to start taking their kids off the fields from high school ball all the way down to PeeWee leagues.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Well, the irony is, for repeat offenders like Maualuga and Foster, their fines are far less than, say, Kenny Phillips who was fined $30,000 earlier this season for what appeared to be (even on reply) a clean hit.

He’s a thug, but I wish we had a clone.

3.  demo3356 says:

I’m glad they are doing away with the H2H hits where guys launch helmet first into guys heads, but all the other ticky tack sh*t is ruining the game for me. I like a tough hard nosed, hard hitting game, not this flag football, up and down the field track meet they are trying to turn the game into.

4.  kujo says:

I may not be an “old guy,” but my days as a butcher, where my shifts began at 5 a.m., have prevented me from enjoying any sort of “sleeping in.” I routinely wake up at 7-7:30 a.m., even on days off or when my shift at the restaurant doesn’t begin until well after noon.

•  GIANTT says:

kujo , actually that IS “getting old ” For years I worked the early shift and always awoke at 4.40 am . I havent had that job in 20 + years but it has taken me much of that time to not automatically wake up at 4.40 . Get used to it , waking early is the easy part LOL

•  kujo says:

I’ve always been an early riser. It drove my parents nuts on the weekends, when I’d wake up at 5 or 6 to watch cartoons. I’d make myself a bowl of cereal and watch TV until like 7 or 8 before begging my sleeping folks to wake up long enough to let me go outside to one of the various “forts” I had in my neighborhood.

Those were the days…

•  demo3356 says:

I cant sleep beyond 8 because I usually have any of 3-4 sporting events every weekend and if not I have my 2 youngest in our bed bouncing around wanting to know when I’m getting up

5.  kujo says:

I didn’t think the hit on Hixon way dirty, to be honest.

6.  GIANTT says:

I always thought that a lot of these hits are not penalized enough especially if the injured party misses playing time . I can understand the fines but when a player minimum is what 300k ? what the h-ll use is a 15k fine ? I would much rather see a player suspended for the length that the injured player is out and a fine of a GAME CHECK no matter how much a player is paid . That would put a stop to thugs and headhunters if that is the way you want the game to go

7.  njm0m says:

Wow, look at what the bye week does to a person. Discussing the inability to sleep. To funny…between a bad back and two kids my body doesn’t know how to sleep.

And … for the record … unless we do a legendary, epic tank job we have zero shot at Manti Te’o.

9.  njm0m says:

God they better not start tanking. My family and I are going to the New Orleans game and I have yet to go to the new stadium so they need to get the hell of this funk and play like the Giants we know they can be.

10.  njm0m says:

We ‘ll be doing our best. If nothing else I’ll leave the parents behind and my brother and I will hunt you down.