Matt McCants Learning Pro Game as Member of New York Giants Practice Squad

November 16th, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Selected in the sixth-round of the 2012 NFL Draft, offensive lineman Matt McCants was considered a bit of a gamble for the New York Giants. Having already selected Brandon Mosley before him, Big Blue appeared to be filling out depth at tackle with the best remaining talent, and McCants fit the bill. Whether or not it would all pan out remained to be seen, but as the saying goes, in Reese we trust.

McCants was a three-year starter at AUB and earned All-Conference USA first-team honors his senior season. But the transition to the NFL is a difficult one, and before long, McCants found himself looking for a job as he was first cut by the Giants when they trimmed their roster to 53 players, then released off of their practice squad in early September.

However, McCants would find his way back to the Giants a few short weeks later, and has remained on their practice squad ever since.

"I’m just coming in here every day getting a chance to go against arguably the best defensive line in the league," McCants told Giants.com. "So I take advantage of that. It’s been a good ride for me just getting better every day going against the best. So I look forward to it."

Learning the pro game while going up against some of the elite pass rushers of the last five years certainly has its advantages, and McCants feels there's no other place he'd rather be.

"A team is a team regardless – practice squad or not," he said.

Barring an injury, McCants may not be in the best position to receive an opportunity this year, but with David Diehl aging, he may get more than just a glance next season so long as he continues to improve.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Brandon Mosley, Football, Matt McCants, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “Matt McCants Learning Pro Game as Member of New York Giants Practice Squad”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

wish the kid the best of luck. Hope he’s improved since that preseason game where the team might have just left his position voided.

2.  kinsho says:

So, just a very rough guess here since I haven’t done as much research on this as I normally would have liked, but it seems to me that the NFC playoff seeding would go something like this:

1: Falcons
    2: Bears
    3: 49ers
    4: Giants
    5: Packers
    6: Seattle Suckchickens/Tampa Bay Scumbags

Now, if it does end up like that, we end up facing the Packers in the first round of the playoffs. Fantastic. Beating them here would only make them even more revved for the possible rematch in the playoffs.

•  kinsho says:

By ‘beating them here’, I mean beating them when we face them in a little over a week.

Let’s see what happens a week from Sunday before we start worrying about playoff seedings. That’s now a game that could be much like the Jets game was last year: a game that acted as a launching pad for a successful run, but had it been lost would have required both a good, and lucky, finish to get to the “tournament”.

I bet one of the top 5 doesn’t make the playoffs. I hope it’s not us but I think everyone is at risk except maybe Atlanta of not making the playoffs. All of us seem to have pretty hard closing schedules.

•  kinsho says:

@f55

True, it’s still too early to worry about playoff seedings. But when you’re bored at work, your mind starts to wander….especially on a bye week.

•  demo3356 says:

Pretty sure the Packers win that division..Especially with Cutler out.. Also I have a bad feeling the Saints take that 6th Spot. They need to be in the mix with the Seahawks, Bucs Cowboys and Bears for those 2 wild cards

•  kinsho says:

I may be wrong, but Cutler’s only out for a week with a concussion, right?

Campbell is a downgrade from Cutler. But, on the flip side, I don’t think of Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick. Alex Smith is actually decent at being able to protect the ball, but I think Chicago’s tendency to create interceptions will undo that.

I actually expect Chicago to win that game and cement their spot on top of the division.

McCants looked awful in preseason. I think he was a wild card excellent-athlete-mediocre-technique pick by the Giants, who I think were looking much more to Mosley as the much surer bet. Unfortunately, thanks to his injury Mosley loses an entire season of teaching and experience, so he may now be in the same boat as McCants as far as being ready to help in 2013 (ie. no chance at all). I think you have to look to 2014 as the earliest date either of those two draft picks could pay off.

Interesting, though, that the Pats picked up Petrus and are signing him to a 2-year deal, meaning they see him as at least useful depth. I think that the Giants’ willingness to cut him speaks volumes about what the Giants think of Cordle, Brewer and Capers. I suspect Brewer starts at tackle in 2013 and Cordle and Capers are depth guys on the roster next season.

4.  demo3356 says:

Cutler is out This week @ San Fran so the Bears are in Trouble.

I think Campbell will be fine with a week of practice and better weather.

•  demo3356 says:

LOL! Campbell is always has been and always will be a complete stiff. He will not be alright in any weather. He will get clowned this Sunday in San Fran

He played well last year. I’m not saying he’s great but with a defense and running game he can perform well enough to win.

•  demo3356 says:

Where exactly did he play well last year? Are you referring to his stupendous play in Oakland that led the to trading 2 #1 picks for Carson Palmer? Campbell blows bro.. He is hot garbage

Has there been any buzz at all about Brewer?