November 15th, 2012 at 12:35 PM

It's been no secret that New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz and star hip hop artist Jay-Z are friends away from the football field, but the two are now taking things to a new level with an entertainment management deal that will give Jay-Z control over securing entertainment deals for Cruz, as well as helping him grow his non-football resume. It may also include Cruz's own rap album somewhere down the line.

'Jay-Z' photo (c) 2012, Adam Glanzman - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"There's no turning back now!" a source told the New York Post. "I wouldn't rule out him working on a record down the line. … [Cruz could] snap his fingers and be on a famous artist's single like that."

In February, Cruz signed with IMG Worldwide to represent him and negotiate all endorsement deals, but the New York Post reports this would not conflict with any agreement he has with Jay-Z.

Roc Nation, the Jay-Z owned record label and entertainment company, currently represents artists like M.I.A., Shakira, Rihanna, Willow Smith and others. They also represent other athletes like skateboarder Theotis Beasley.

Several weeks ago Cruz hinted that something big was brewing between he and Jay-Z, and this may just be it. After all, Cruz has been throwing up the "ROC Diamond" hand symbol -not the Illuminati symbol- after each touchdown.

Tags: Football, Jay-Z, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

45 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Close to Signing Entertainment Management Deal with Jay-Z”

1.  kujo says:

Nice to see he’s surrounding himself with Gotham’s elite. Hopefully this means he’s further entrenching himself in New York and that the plan is for him to remain here.

2.  kujo says:

LOL at the titles of the related posts:

“I Haven’t Gotten Hollywood at All”

“Victor Cruz ‘Humbled’…”

“Victor Cruz Would Like a New Contract”

3.  JimStoll says:

after 4 straight poor and worsening games I believe that eli and Giant offense are at their nadir and better performances on are the immediate horizon. in fact, now that Phil (who I love) has proclaimed Eli non-elite, I suspect eli will outperform Mr. Elite himself in the Giants’ next performance

4.  TonyMW says:

It’s looks like Krow and I will be holding each others hair while puking a la teenage Jersey Shore girls. This literally makes me uneasy. At least we now know why Cruz has been throwing up the “Illuminati” symbol after TD’s.

H to the izzo, V to the izzay….

Amazing.

Cruz + NYG Football = rich celebrity

Cruz – NYG Football = a nobody

Keep your priorities straight or you’ll lose it all.

•  TonyMW says:

I can’t fault a guy for reaching stardom by any means possible, but can’t it wait until is career is over? or the season at the least?

Strahan is a perfect example of that. The guy was a superstar for the better part of his career. Honed his game to the point of being the best DE in the game for the most part and saved all that other crap until he was done. Seems like it’s working out pretty well thus far.

I know it’s tempting … and you can’t really blame anyone for grabbing for it. But it’s a matter of priorities. As long as the football is right then everything is right. No one wants him for his looks … or his acting ability … or his fashion sense … or that fake book someone wrote for him. It’s all football. Too bad that they all can’t be Mannings.

•  NYGfreek says:

I don’t really see the problem with this. If Cruz were to hit the free agent market healthy, he’s worth a lot more than the Giants could readily pay him without having serious cap problems.

If he’s making money outside of football, there’s a greater chance he’ll take a bit of a hometown discount to stay here.

5.  TonyMW says:

TonyMW says:
    November 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    So my 4 yr old son randomly comes up to me and says “Daddy, I wanna be just like Eli Mannay”. In that single moment, without a shadow of a doubt, I knew that my job as a father has been a success thus far.

fanfor55years says:
    November 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Nothing quite like passing on the love to a son. My son and I talk Giants football nearly every day. It’s wonderful.

•  TonyMW says:

In all seriousness, it’s a great feeling. My dad has been a Giant’s fan since the 70′s and made sure I was a fan since I was old enough to walk. Unfortunately I was too young to fully experience the SB’s in 86 and 90, much as my son was for 07 and last year. Hopefully he get’s to experience some later in life because it truly was a bonding experience for my father and I. We watched every game together since I was 11 yrs old, but I just recently moved over 2 hrs away from him. I guess it’s true that you don’t realize what you have until it’s gone.

•  kujo says:

Last time I was up in NY was a few years ago for Thanksgiving, when we played the Broncos and lost. I went out to a bar with my dad, my uncle and my cousins to watch the game, to the chagrin of our mothers. They later accused us of bailing on “family time,” to which my 7 year old cousin replied “We had family time with the Giants. What were you 2 doing during your family time by yourself?”

6.  TonyMW says:

Haha…that’s awesome.

I’m no longer “allowed” to go out anywhere w/ my dad and his friend Joe (his buddy from NY), so at least you have that. I have to watch from home. They always get me in trouble w/ my fiancee……..think “Rachel’s”. I thought it was a restaurant, I swear!!!

•  JimStoll says:

a killer for me and my giant loving son
      he comes home from college for the week this weekend — no game this weekend due to the bye; he has to leave next saturday to get back (he’s in Ohio at Kenyon College; we live in Boston) and the giants don’t play until sunday night

•  demo3356 says:

LOL! Rachels is one of my accounts.. I keep telling my wife I hvae to go their for business and only stay for the buffet.

•  kujo says:

I have a story involving a handgun, a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and a foreign exchange student that ends with lapdances at Rachels. Oh, college…

•  TonyMW says:

Haha…that’s hilarious. The worst part is that we were heading to the Giants/Bucs game (the one where you and I were supposed to meet up Demo) for my birthday, and we were in Orlando to pick up his buddy from the airport. He said he was gonna buy me “dinner” for my birthday. I guess by “dinner” he meant repeated lapdances.

I had no clue on his true intentions though. I left my cellphone in the car, and my fiancee called my dad’s phone (no clue why he answered it). Her first question? “Why is there stripper music playing in the background”. Busted.

•  kujo says:

I was at that game too, btw.

•  TonyMW says:

Well, I haven’t been keeping track of the scheduling trends, but the next time the Giants are in FL we definitely need to get all of us together.

•  demo3356 says:

Indeed we need to. I go to every Giants game in the state with about 15-20 other Giants fans. We will have our own FL version of a g101 tailgate

7.  Samardzija says:

Pretty sure Cruz putting his hands together has nothing to do with “Illuminati” and everything to do with the fact that the new nike glows completes a logo when holding them together.

Cruz? He’s the guy who dropped that sure TD, right?

9.  rlhjr says:

demo3356 says:
    November 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    “I’m thinking that there may have been some merit to the fact that the Giants wanted Martin”…………………

+100

Martin was “ready now” and I am sure that Ross/Reese knew that.
    If not then they are not the **** Jack duo we always wax poetic about.
    Fact is Reese would have gladly taken Martin if Tampa had not.

Wilson? Going to be fine IMHO. He just needs more exposure to pro type offense.

What he did to Cleveland is going to come. He just needs to be able to play without thinking about assignments and audibles.

His running style is extremely instinctive and reactive. In other words natural. He’s going to be a killer back either by the last few games this year, or the entire year next season.

•  demo3356 says:

agreed, there is no doubt in my mind that Tampa knew we were taking MArtin at 32 if he was there.

•  BLU-82 says:

I honestly believe the Giants wanted Wilson. Garafolo defended this last week on twitter. He said he had sources tell him BEFORE the draft that they liked Wilson a lot.

Everyone could see that Martin had an immediate impact skillset, but we chose to draft someone like Wilson for a reason (Well, we didn’t get to make a decision but if MG is right we wouldn’ve gone Wilson anyway).

He’s the CJ Spiller mold. It will take a while to get him going but his raw physical talent, if developed properly, is something that you cannot coach.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

We have been saying the same thing since draft day. People can argue it all they want. The Giants had Wilson ahead of Martin on their board.

•  TonyMW says:

Reese has stated in the past that he wanted Revis ahead of Ross and he had a trade package ready if DHB fell to 15. There was even talk that he wanted Maclin over Nicks (damn, am I glad that never materialized).

Why is it so inconceivable that Reese is being truthful when he said his target was Wilson? I’ve said it before, Reese wants to get faster and more explosive. Wilson fits, Martin doesn’t. Is Martin better than Bradshaw and Brown? Definitely and probably. Is he as dangerous as Wilson? Absolutely not. If this were 07-08, Martin was probably the choice. In 2012, with THIS offense, it was Wilson all the way.

•  TonyMW says:

Also, there is the question about why the Bucs traded up for Martin. All they had was Blount, and he’s very inconsistent to say the least. You don’t take a “potential project”, as explosive as he is, before you have your “bell cow” every down back. Martin fit their plans, Wilson didn’t. There was obvious pre-draft talk about the Giants being in the market for a RB, but the Bucs didn’t know who the Giants were interested in, so why risk losing their guy?

•  rlhjr says:

We it’s a could be type of thing. This we know for sure.
              Martin is pretty darn good. Wilson will be pretty darn good in time.

I actually think Wilson will come around season’s end. I do maintain that Wilson is not as physical a back as Martin, and no where near the blocker.

But that should change in time.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

Used to big a big Jay-Z fan when he was first put on by Big L ( whom without Jay-Z would never had gotten that first freestyle on WKRC), Reasonable Doubt is still one of the best hip hop albums ever written.

I can’t stand this guy now. All the fame has gotten to his head. And can’t stand the guy.