New York Giants Legend Phil Simms Doesn’t Believe Eli Manning is Elite

November 14th, 2012 at 6:30 AM
By Casey Sherman

'Eli Manning' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ And so it begins again. Just when it appeared New York Giants QB Eli Manning had answered the ever lingering 'Is Eli Manning elite?' question by winning his second Super Bowl in five years, Giants legend Phil Simms raises the topic again. On CBS Sports Network's "NFL Morning QB," Simms stated he doesn't believe Manning is elite after playing poorly in the last three games.

"No, he is not one of the elites," Simms said. "Because when I hear the word elite, I’m thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves. There are very few quarterbacks in that category."

Phil must not have paid much attention to the league over the last five years, because if he had, he would have witnessed a list of "unbelievable" plays made by Manning, including one of the most impressive throws in Super Bowl history when he hooked up with Mario Manningham along the sidelines to help beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.

"I always bring up Aaron Rodgers," Simms continued. "He is one of them. So yes, Eli has been a tremendous team player. He has been MVP of the Super Bowl twice. I know that. But the way I look at it, the answer is no."

Simms' co-host Dan Fouts proved more rational by insisting Manning is in fact one of the league's top quarterbacks.

"You can’t spell elite without Eli," Fouts said. "The pressure situations that Eli has thrived in over his short career, in my mind, make him an elite quarterback. Because that is when you’re judged. How well do you do when the pressure is on, when you’ve got to win the game? And all you have to do is look back at his two Super Bowl wins and the way he beat the Patriots. I have to give him a nod and say Eli is elite."

At the young age of 31, Manning already has two Super Bowls and two Super Bowl MVP's under his belt, with a lot of football left in his career. Manning has showed many times that he can take over a game, especially in the fourth quarter. It is inevitable that every quarterback is going to hit a slump, it's only a matter of time when Eli returns to his usual self. Hopefully the bye week will allow Manning time to rest his arm, and his mind before finishing the last six games of the season.

It appears no matter how many Super Bowls Manning wins or how many times he can hoist the MVP trophy after each Super Bowl, the moment his productivity drops his elite status will be questioned. We here at Giants 101 believe you as fans should feel more than satisfied with Manning leading your team.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms

46 Responses to “New York Giants Legend Phil Simms Doesn’t Believe Eli Manning is Elite”

1.  G-MenFan says:

Yeah, we all saw this crap yesterday.
    Sad really.
    Another ex-Giant QB making an absolute **** out of himself. Maybe they should team Simms and Warner together and have them do some Giants games so it’s completely bad instead of just half bad with Simms in the booth.

I wonder where Phil puts his career in all of this? No doubt right where Manning is, even though they’re several rungs on the ladder apart.

•  JimStoll says:

First of all, don’t crap on the Great Phil simms or his Giant career. For those of us who lived through the 60′s and 70′s, he was our first savior. The guy overcame 5 consecutive season ending injuries to open his career to make us one of the top teams in the NFL between 1984 and 1990, and he did it under much different rules and with much less offensive talent than eli has to work with. Phil has also always been humble about his own career.

That being said, eli has proven himself to be a terrific QB overall. His problem (and I really thought this was behind him) is his propensity to play poorly for extended periods of time. Right now he is on a 4 game puke streak. Even the Washington game was a poorly QB’s game; but for the last second bomb to Cruz, everyone would recognize it as such.
      Last week was the nadir (I hope) as manifested by the two ridiculous INTs he threw. I haven’t seen INTs like that since the Tennessee game in 2010.
      As long as Eli has so many erratic performances, his star will be dimmed.
      But he’s still great; still capable of turning his performance on a dime; and if he does so once again after the bye, the accolades will return.

But through it all, never, never, NEVER, belittle TGPS

•  G-MenFan says:

Well we must be around the same age because I lived through the ’70s and early ’80s, it’s just that my having done so does not make me feel entitled to tell other people what they can and can’t say on this board.

Phil is an all-time great Giant for sure. But just because he is doesn’t mean he gets to say and do anything he wants for the rest of his life and never be criticized for it. I used to love Dave Meggett and as far as I’m concerned now he can rot in jail for the rest of his life.

Phil is being a bit of a hypocrite right now. When the talking heads and beat writers, all of whom are paid to render opinions, were harsh on his son Chris, Phil wailed about it in public. Now he’s out there saying a 2-time SB MVP is not elite. Phil needs to know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em.

2.  demo3356 says:

LOL, guess it is a what have you done for me lately world. Guy wins two SB’s is the MVP of Both, goes over 4000 yds for three straight years despite constantly loosing his weapons (Toomer Shockey Plax Mannigham Boss Smith) but now after a few bad games caused by a tired shoulder and now he’s no longer elite… SMH…

Well, I’m with Jim as a wholehearted forever-fan of Phil Simms. The guy was good, tough, and humble. Still is. I think he’s wrong about Eli, but I respect his opinion, and I particularly respect his unwillingness after Fouts’ comment to come back with a reference to his perhaps-greatest-ever-Super-Bowl-performance that took Giants fans out of what had been a long, miserable, Dark Ages by soundly beating the Elway-led Broncos.

4.  Hanshi says:

I was a fan during the Simms era so I can say this. Simms is jealous. He wasn’t close to the QB that Eli is.

•  JimStoll says:

no way is he jealous
      Phil had a great QB career — led us to 1 & 3/4 super bowls, 6 playoff appearances, and was a super Bowl MVP and pro bowl player
      if that was enough, his post playing career has been even more successful as a commentator and TV/radio personality

just because someone has an opinion you do not like, does not mean that they are being petty or that they need to be attacked

Phil did not say Eli was a bad person; he did not attack his character; he did not even say he was anything less than a terrific player.

so the “hate” Phil simms posts for having an opinion are a bit much

….although, I suppose you have tyhe right to hate him, and say so, with all the perjoratives you like

•  Hanshi says:

And one by one Eli is breaking all of his records.

•  Hanshi says:

I don’t hate Phil, he was a very good QB… But he was no Eli Manning.

•  JimStoll says:

not fair to count records across generations
          Is Eli better than Johnny U/ Joe Montana? Terry Bradshaw? Roger Staubach?
          Eli is terrific; hopefully after he shakes off this slump (assuming he is not seriously injured) he’ll be terrific again
          That ought to be enough
          The need to have everyone think your guy is the best in the world can never be fulfilled

moreover, if Eli were traded tomorrow, you would no longer care if he were elite, and indeed might find more to criticize in his week to week performances

5.  demo3356 says:

My predictions for the second half of the season
    1) David Wilson gets 10+ touches a game starting next week
    2) Nicks and Eli get back in rhythm
    3) With Phillips back along with emerging Prince Fewell dials up pressure packages
    4) Giants beat a Ravens team that is locked into #2 seed week 16
    5) Giants beat a punched out Eagles team week 17 to win the division at 10-6
    6) After winning 4 straight to get to 7-5 Dallas collapses in December for the 5th time in 6 years and misses the playoffs.

•  kujo says:

Your lips to Gods ears bro

•  JimStoll says:

Yeah, I hope you are right
        first, I have no faith that the Giants can ever beat the Eagles, and I don’t see where the Baltimore assertion comes from — what? they have the no. 2 locked up; can’t get the no. 1; and are resting?
        assumes a lot of facts not in evidence
        and then there is the little matter of finding 2 other wins between GB, NO, Atlanta and Wash. Only one of those games looks like a likely W right now, and that’s ignoring how closely they’ve played us over the past 3 years despite being a bad team

The Giants need to get a ground game going; it has to be Brown; and then I agree they have to figure out a way to capitalize on wilson’s god-given ability. But the latter seems less than likely in light of Ingram’s comments. they make it sound like he’s a prima donna who can’t be bothered to put in any effort to practice and learn
        we already know they intend to ride Diehl to wherever that takes them
        Bennet is toast
        Randal seems unready
        and there is still the rumor that eli has something wrong with his arm

so I hope you are right; but just looking for something more than a healthy Phillips and Nicks to support the optimism

•  demo3356 says:

Baltimore will pull away from Pitt due to Big Bens injury but they are flawed and Houston’s schedule is pretty easy down the stretch. They already Murdered Baltimore earlier this season so they would hold tie breaker. Remember how many times I’ve been right in the past when predicting season outcomes bro:-)

•  JimStoll says:

equal to me I think — so pretty good

•  demo3356 says:

???? Your the a^s clown that predicted 6-10 each of the last 2 seasons and mocked my 10-6 prediction in 10 and my control destiny, take Dallas twice to win the division last year after the 4 consecutive losses.. I’d say I’m the opposite of you:-) You were pretty good back in 08-09 before loosing your **** somewhere..

You will be right about #1 if Bradshaw is hurt, otherwise I think it’s more like 4-6 for a few weeks and then moving up toward perhaps as many as 12-13 later.

I absolutely believe in #2, but more because Hakeem looked healthier against the bengals than he has looked since the Bucs game. I don’t think they’ve been “out of sync”. I think it has been that Nicks just couldn’t do what he wanted to do and Eli thought he was a bit healthier than he proved.

I know Phillips’ return will make an enormous difference. I hope you are right about this because if we don’t do it the season will end badly.

Agreed about #4 and #5.

No idea about #6. I hope you’re right because that would be fun to watch. But I have NO idea what the Cowboys will do in any given game, nor do they. They could win out, lose out, or play somewhere in-between. I do think we’ll finish ahead of them, but am not about to predict records right now.

6.  kujo says:

Oh good, FF55 is up!

I wanted to tell you that your “he thinks Shakespeare was a tight end for the Redskins” line was uproariously terrible. Not only was it about the lamest insult ever (it hurts more when my goddaughter calls me “poopiehead”) but it’s simply untrue–I have done a fair bit of theater since I was in middle school, including the role of Dromio of Ephesus from The Comedy of Errors and portrayal of Iago that earned me a substantial grant going into my first year of college.

So suck on THAT, o ye turd of turds!

I never assumed it was “true”. What does truth have to do with a decent insult?

But a winning portrayal of Iago explains a lot, including myriad personality defects, to say nothing of smoldering jealousy of your many superiors.

(I enjoy this, but we probably should stop. It’s a Giants site and no one wants to compare witticisms between jousting web friends. Just stick to your blathering about the O-line, about which you were close to right in a rare confluence of universal probabilities that approached absolute zero, and I will stick to reminding people that Mario Manningham would look pretty damned good in Blue right about now).

7.  demo3356 says:

I love Phll Simms, he was a great leader and as tough as nails. He is not even in Eli’s league as far as talent, but didn’t need to be as it was a different game in a different time on a different type of team. Had it not been for the Walsh / Montana 49ers and LT’s penchant for nose candy and hookers, Phill may have won 3-4 Super Bowls.

•  JimStoll says:

there is no evidence to support the assertion that LT’s extracurricular activites hurt the Giants any more than they hurt other teams (who were often victimized by LT’s late night largess — or so the story is told)

8.  kujo says:

Are things really so dire around here that we’re going to take potshots at a Giant legend expressing a knowledgeable (and, in my view, incorrect) opinion about Eli, who has just played arguably the worst 3 game stretch since his first year? Simms is a beast and should be loved. So what he thinks Eli isn’t elite!? He’s not one of these jabberwokies who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. He’s a legend, a Super Bowl hero and our 2nd best QB of all time. Quit the hate.

•  JimStoll says:

here here
      save it for Kurt Warner who hates Eli simply because he ended Kurt’s 1 year Giant career 7 games early

9.  demo3356 says:

Come to think of it The Simms and Eli led Giants are complete and total, polar opposites. The Simms led Giants were a smash mouth, run it down your throat, behind a behemoth, dominant offensive line who had journeyman at best playing WR and ther best receiving threat was there stud TE. On Defense they were a bone crushing, fly to the ball, ultra aggressive defense led by the best Line backing unit in the NFL and in my mind the greatest group of LB’s EVER in the NFL. Taylor and Carson are HOFers and Carl Banks would have been the best OLB on 31 other teams at the time.
    Eli’s Giants are a Finesse offense behind a finesse line that runs through its aerial attack and doesnt have much of a running attack or TE production to speak of. On defense they are a read and react, bend but dont break defense thats weakest unit is there Linebackers.

•  JimStoll says:

one correction — of late, they are breaking a lot, and at the worst possible time

•  demo3356 says:

I disagree.. They had a really bad blown coverage last week but other than that they have been fine. Most of their problems the last month have been due to a horrifically inept offense. Way too many turnovers and 3 and outs to expect any defense to hold. In today’s flag football chuck and duck NFL you cant keep giving Offenses extra possessions with turnovers and 3 and outs. Had the Giants done ANYTHING offensively they win the Pittsburgh game and blow out the cow turds. Defense has struggled but they are getting way too much blame around here

•  JimStoll says:

I agree with that
          hard for the defense to stand an entire game without any help
          that was the story of the 1970′s giants
          only the giants of the 1980′s had the ability to hold opponents to 13 or less routinely and provide some really ugly offensive W’s

•  demo3356 says:

yeah, those days are over pretty much NFL wide. The rules are tilted towards offense and the amount of quality QB’s and Freakish athletes at Skill positions has bid them farewell. the best you can hope for now is a defense that keeps you in the game and gives the offense a chance to win. Every now and then you’ll see a unit catch fire like ours did for 6 weeks last year, but they are few and far between

That’s true since 2009 but Eli’s first SB was a lot like the old Giant teams though the defense had a different style.

10.  Paul Salvatore says:

First time poster long time reader,

I just wanted to say that I’m tired of the media and this “elite” quarterback question, who is who isn’t. Ever since Eli was ask this, it seems that all the media talks about, and to me it’s not so much is he (Eli) elite or is not, it’s more of a question in what is your definition of elite. To me he is, not only because what he has done but also if you’re on the other team up seven with two minutes left do you feel safe.

He will never be the statistical Elite QB like Brady, Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers, but then to me there is another definition of elite the winners and some follow over like Brady and Peyton but there is also Eli, Roethlisberger and maybe even Ryan.
    I’m glad we have Eli

Probably won’t post again but I’m always here