New York Giants Hosting Running Back Kahlil Bell for a Workout

November 13th, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It's workout Tuesday across the NFL, and although most workouts are private, Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger has word that the New York Giants will workout a number of players today, including former Chicago Bears running back Kahlil Bell.

'California UCLA Football' photo (c) 2008, Avinash Kunnath - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Bell went undrafted out of UCLA in 2009, but was signed to the Minnesota Vikings practice squad where he spent three months. Shortly after being released, he was signed as a free agent by the Chicago Bears to their practice squad and eventually activated to their 53-man roster. In 22 career games with the Bears, Bell rushed for 589 yards on 131 carries (4.5 ypc). He also hauled in 21 receptions for 148 yards and a touchdown.

The Bears released Bell in late August after he refused to take a pay cut. He had been scheduled to earn $1.26 million for the 2012-2013 season, but Chicago wanted his salary reduced to $700,000.

Meanwhile, former Giants offensive lineman, Mitch Petrus, worked out for the New England Patriots.

UPDATE: Mitch Petrus has signed with the Patriots, while Bell has signed with the New York Jets (before he had a chance to workout with the Giants).

Tags: Chicago, Chicago Bears, Football, Kahlil Bell, Mitch Petrus, New England, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFL

24 Responses to “New York Giants Hosting Running Back Kahlil Bell for a Workout”

A RB? That makes me think there is real concern with Bradshaw. If he were just normal Bradshaw banged up we wouldn’t sign a RB. If we actually sign Bell I think it shows Bradshaw is probably out for at least a game.

2.  Levito says:

If Bradshaw misses time and the team signs Bell, would he immediately get more carries than Wilson because he’s a vet and more “mature” of a player than Wilson?

•  demo3356 says:

no.. He becomes depth in case something happens to Brown or Wilson and whichever one becomes starter he replaces on ST’s…

•  TonyMW says:

Exactly. Us as fans sometimes question the coaching staffs decision, but I see no way a guy like Bell gets carries over Wilson. I’m with Goat, I think something might be up with Bradshaw.

Of course it’s always possible that they just don’t feel comfortable with 3 RB’s and are finally looking for someone to fill Scott’s place.

It’s ironic but a bradshaw injury could force a number of young players into the mix. Not only would Brown and Wilson handle RB duties but Randle/Jernigan would handle KO duties. Like we saw in 2007 where we go this season will eventually be decided by the growth and production of our young players.

4. Demo — I think Levito was being sarcastic.

How can we expect this JAG RB to pick up the nuances of our offense in time to contribute anything?

•  TonyMW says:

I really don’t think anyone that is 4th on the depth chart at RB is expected to contribute at all, at least not on offense. If a guy like this WAS signed, I’d hope he’d have some time to learn before the 3 RB’s in front of are hurt. Although, at that point, his knowledge of the playbook would be the least of our problems anyway.

•  Dirt says:

You mean “if it’s a run, pick up as many yards as possible and if it’s a pass, block or run this route?”

Impossible, I agree.

6.  JimStoll says:

Joe Martinek
    say it
    dream it
    believe it

Signing Bell would mean that we really don’t think much of Martinek. The 3rd RB is mostly a special teams player.

8.  kujo says:

The tension rises with every second that passes without a long-winded, self-felating tome from FF55, reminding us that his prescriptions for this team over the offseason were correct, and that his fence-riding and hedging of his bets proved to be salient and true.

•  TonyMW says:

lmao @ tome…..You’re too much dude. Poor FF55….

Go look at my response to your fool-worthy post of earlier today, you foul-mouthed Fool (in the Shakespearean sense? Nah, too respectful especially for someone who thinks Shakespeare played tight end for the Redskins back in Sammy Baugh’s day).

I used absolutely ZERO hindsight, and hedged not a bit. As a matter of fact, you and demo were busy tearing me apart back when I was insisting we should keep Manningham even at the cost of dumping Bradshaw (if he wouldn’t take a salary hit) and refusing to sign Thomas (although I did say we should sign Ross instead, which became impossible when the Jags went beserk).

•  JimStoll says:

we always eat our own when the season implodes
        whether love will ever prevail depends on how we fare against GB and NO

kujo knows I’m just giving him back what he sends my way. I love the kid. Even if he is totally disrespectful of age and far superior wisdom, intelligence, looks, and anything else you can think of at the moment.

Why is it that none of us have ever focused on Mr. Ingram? Anyone really delighted with our running backs since BJ went into decline about three seasons ago? Anyone think we did ANYTHING to replace Tiki’s pass-catching ability in order to create a short passing game that could get first downs when needed and play well in fierce winds?

I’m starting to wonder about this guy. And what, exactly, are the other position coaches doing? The corners look lost half the time if their name isn’t Amukamara. The safeties are screwing up (well, okay, mostly it’s Stevie brown screwing up, but isn’t someone coaching him up?). The defensive line is not getting enough penetration. The linebackers look hopeless at times. And the quarterback seems confused. we’ve busily dissected Flaherty. What about Nunn, Guinta, Merritt, Ingram, and so on?

10.  Begiant says:

I do not agree with this prevailing sentiment that we need to draft Olinemen early. For the most part our oline has been fantastic this year. Diehl has been the (most likely) problem. Bradshaw was averaging almost 4.5 yards a carry and we say brown can do BETTER. In addition we have Brewer, cordle and a pair of rookies to develop overtime. Also, Guy Wimper and Jarmon Meredith have started games for the Jags and Buccs respectively…proving we can develop talent

Good post.

We have a lot of young players in the pipeline. Flaherty is a great teacher. I cannot agree that our O-line has been fantastic, but as to developing young players and not HAVING to use high picks I fully agree.

One really bad rumor I have heard though (through my son, who has a friend who is very friendly with one of the players) is that the locker room does not respect Beatty very much and think he is very, very, soft. Who knows if that’s true, but I sure hope not.

•  JimStoll says:

I disagree totally with the assertion that our O-Line has been terrific
        We rarely see any holes for the RB’s; there is never any push across the LOS like the Bengals did to our D-Line last week, and the pressure on eli is constant and intense, even if the sacks are low (for example, I would gladly trade 2 sacks for the 2 INTs Eli threw last week under ungodly pressure)
        I do believe that Brown would make the running game better and hence the O-Line look better
        but this line has not been fantastic or even good; it is bad almost to a man
        Diehl flat out stinks; Snee is a shell of his former self; Baas isn’t even as good as O’Hara was; Boothe is a journeyman and probably our best lineman; and Beatty is ok but nothing special