Eli Manning “Not Worried” About Struggling New York Giants

November 12th, 2012 at 12:15 PM

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning is in a slump. He may not want to call it that, Tom Coughlin may not want to call it that, and his teammates may not want to call it that, but when it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and throws like a duck … it's a slump. Still, Big Blue's fearless leader claims he's not worried about his struggles or the teams' struggles in recent weeks … even after a 31-13 beatdown at the hands of the lowly Cincinnati Bengals.

"I’m not worried. Every year we have gone through stretches where we didn’t play our best football and we were still able to bounce back. That’s what is going on right now," Manning said. "I have to start playing better personally and we need to as a group as well. We still have good players and a good scheme. We just have to put it together better."

Statistically, this is one of the worst stretches of Manning's career. In fact, there are any number of statistics that can be pointed out that not only back up that statement, but back up the Giants' overall futility in recent weeks. Moreover, it's doing little to shed the stigma of them being a very bad team in both November and the second half of the NFL season under head coach Tom Coughlin.

It was speculated early last week that perhaps one factor in Manning's recent struggles is that he's suffering from a tied arm. It would make sense considering the team has played in 14 straight weeks dating back to the preseason, but a notion he quickly dismissed on Sunday night.

"If my arm were tired I would tell the coaches and we would adjust. I don’t feel like we are overthrowing by any means, and the ball is still coming out fine, so I don’t see anything into it," he said.

Whatever the case may be, the Giants no longer have the luxury of time to help figure it out. They've gone from 6-2 to 6-4 and had their NFC East lead shrunken to 1.5 games. When they return from the bye week, there's a very realistic chance that lead will be down to a single game. From there, they enter what will be the most difficult six-game stretch of any team in the NFL this season.

There will be no backing into the playoffs this year. If the Giants are going to make it, they're going to have to do it the hard way.

photo credit: Kenyon's Travel via photo pin cc

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

65 Responses to “Eli Manning “Not Worried” About Struggling New York Giants”

1 2 3
  1.  TonyMW says:

I’m glad Eli isn’t worried. I sure am.

•  demo3356 says:

Yeah apparently he and Tuck are not concerned… I’m about as big of a wide eyed optimist as there is when it comes to the New York Football Giants and even I am a little concerned. I have faith they will get things going in the right direction as well but I wonder if they realize how close they are to actually being 3-7 vs 6-4.
      They were a coverage breakdown from the skins, a few inches of white line in Dallas and needed a Superman like comeback by ELi in week 2 or they could be 3-7 right now. They may not be “Concerned” now but a loss to Green Bay n week 12 coupled with wins by Dallas vs the Hapless Browns and Skins and the GMen are in 2nd place in the NFC East and on the outside looking in for the Wild card race..

•  TonyMW says:

I love Eli, but I wish he had some balls. I’m sick of the “well, we didn’t play our best, so we’re going to try hard to play our best. I also have to do a better job to play my best”

2.  TonyMW says:

Who else loves the way Brown looks after a carry when the camera zooms in? He looks like he’s on a direct path to kick someone’s a**.

•  demo3356 says:

I love how mad he runs and the way he hits the hole hard and fast, but I unlike most do not believe he is the stud many on here believe. He got ran down from behind by a linebacker yesterday. I think he is a nice complimentary back to a guy like Wilson, but not dynamic in any way

•  TonyMW says:

By no means do I think he’s a “stud”, but he IS what this offense needs and is the best option NOW. I’d love to see a combo of Brown and Wilson going forward, Bradshaw is on a serious decline unfortunately.

3.  Begiant says:

I am no longer confident about making the playoffs. Assuming we play .500 ball against our tough schedule we make it to 9-7. The Cowboys have an easy schedule…they can easily make 9-7 and have more divisional wins that us to own the tiebreaker. The good news is the Seahawks and Vikings also have a tough schedule…hopefully we can sneak in to the WC if we lose the division. We have the talent to compete with any team in the NFL. We need to split the next two games agains the Saints and Packers…dropping to 6-6 would be awful.

•  demo3356 says:

I dont see a wild card coming out of the East. The Bears or Pack will get one and then the other will come down to Minnesota, Seattle, Tampa or even New Orleans. The Giants need to win the division to make the playoffs. I still believe they will as Dallas still has games with Pittsburgh and New Orleans, not to mention their tendency to poop themselves in December

4.  Begiant says:

I almost want to root for the Eagles now…I want them not only to miss the playoffs but to be stuck with a mid round draft pick…It would be excellent if all their suffering does not lead to a top 10 draft pick.

Skins do not have a draft pick in the first round so might as well root for them this weekend.

•  demo3356 says:

i want the Eagles to have NOTHING to play for when we see them week 17. We may need that game to win the division

5.  Levito says:

Nobody on this team is ever worried. Eli’s never been worried a day in his life. Tuck’s seen this happen, but he’s not worried. Rolle thinks they’re just not talking enough trash, so he’ll have to do it for the rest of the team.

As a fan, I’m worried. I’ve watched this play out what seems like a thousand times over the past 8 years, even though I guess it’s only been 7 times. The team starts hot, cools off and hits bottom. Then they climb out of it a little. Sometimes it’s too little too late, other times they crawl out enough to get into the post season. From there, either they fizzle out early, or they get hot and win it all. Considering everything seems to be cyclical with this team, they’re probably due for a fizzle out. Looking at their schedule, it certainly looks bleak. But then again, this is pretty much the same roster (minus Diehl) that dominated SF a few weeks ago, so who knows. So this team always knows how to string the faithful along. Because there’s always hope. There’s always a chance the defense comes out and dominates. There’s always a chance Eli pulls of some late game heroics. And then there’s always the chance the team comes out like they couldn’t care less what happens. As long as they get to drive their fast-a$$ cars home.

•  Begiant says:

Excellent ending

I wonder if Jacobs would have inspired the team a little more…never thought about it until now…

•  kinsho says:

If anything, Rolle inspired the team more by being a BAMF and playing through injuries all the way to the Super Bowl.

Eli’s “decline”? Simple. Teams were quick to note that Nicks was playing hurt and shifted their best corner to Cruz, and sometimes even doubled Cruz. They also noted that Bennett was hurt and was not playing effectively and they could cover him with a linebacker. And then no one stepped up and produced as a #3 wide receiver.

There has been no separation because of the above. There have also been plenty of misreads by Randle as they tried to force-feed him into the mix. Add a few drops from the wideouts, a reduction in the pass protection because the running game wasn’t working all that well and voila, Eli struggles. I’ve often said that even though I was only a high school quarterback I learned way back then that a quarterback cannot do much if those around him aren’t doing their jobs. I went from a “star” to a mediocrity in a hurry when I lost five critical players to graduation, and back to a “star” when younger guys started to get the job done. I knew I had the same, rather mediocre, talent throughout that up-down-back up ride. Eli Manning has all the tools to be a great quarterback, and he is that. He’s playing poorly right now. Even Joe Montana and John Elway and Johnny Unitas had slumps. But Eli is not being helped at all by the players and coaches surrounding him.

I’ll say again, sure would be nice to have Mario Manningham about now.

I’ll also say that seeing Hakeem Nicks look better than he has in over a month yesterday could be a BIG factor going forward, especially if Hixon or Randle can do what’s necessary to make that third wide receiver a weapon once again in this offense.

Eli will be okay. People don’t go from great to horrid overnight. This break comes at a very good time. I think he will close out the season in good form.

I think “not worried” is not what Eli is really thinking, but he knows it’s his team and the leader has to calm the troops under all circumstances. Let’s just hope Eli’s “not worried” is not the equivalent of Mitt’s (and his campaign strategists’) “not worried” before being gut-punched by the election’s outcome.

This game against Green Bay has become so big as to be preposterous. They absolutely need a win. If they don’t right the ship that Sunday night it could get very, very, ugly.

•  Levito says:

I disagree, I think it’s the obvious: Diehl. Eli has half the time to find his receivers from what he had a few weeks ago. It’s not completely Diehl, Snee’s been pretty bad as well, and Beatty has regressed a bit. Eli’s feeling pressure even when it’s not there, and he’s rushing, his throws are off a bit, and he’s panicking and making bad decisions. Also the run game disappeared again and it’s all on him, with only one legit receiver who’s doubled all the time and another who’s hobbled.

If this team doesn’t draft a pair of O linemen early next April, I’m gonna lose it.

I think that’s the easy, but perhaps wrong, answer. The problems started before Diehl came back (although Eli’s heroics rescued us a few times). You’re right that Diehl IS a problem, and that plenty of others have regressed on the O-line, but I think what I wrote above is a better explanation. By the way, in some of the more recent games the running game has actually been okay.

I’ve noted earlier that some of those “bad decisions” yesterday were not so much bad as necessary risks in extreme circumstances that certainly did not work out.

•  demo3356 says:

Get ready to lose it bro.. They will do like they always do and draft One Lineman, probably a tackle in the 2nd round. Maybe they add a project in the 6th or 7th, but dont hold you breath for a couple of high picks on the OLine. There are some high priced vets going buh bye bye after this season ends to keep younger guys around. those positions will have to be restocked through the draft. Since Diehl will undoubtedly be one of them I think they take a tackle in round 2 or 3

7.  TonyMW says:

Eli Manning’s bad day wasn’t all his fault, says Tom Coughlin. The O-line wasn’t good. “He was under duress a lot today,” Coughlin said. “I think he got — what, (they had) four sacks and another seven or eight hits on the quarterback today? The protection was not what you would want; it’s a combination. Again, there were times when perhaps the protection was good and we were holding the ball a little bit longer (than usual) due to people not being open or whatever.” #NYG

I guess this quote means that around 11/18 we’ll hear the announcement that they’ve finally made a change. Beatty is benched in favor of Brewer.

8.  kinsho says:

They’ll be fine AS LONG as they actively go out of their way to correct their faults.

If not, then no. I do hope they’re not hiding behind this trend of breaking out of ruts late in the season. Relying on fate rather than skill is a great way to lose your title as world champions.

But I think we’ll be fine come the Green Bay game.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

What does Eli worry about? Seems like he’s has no concerns over anything.

10.  kinsho says:

Benching Diehl can make a world of difference on the offensive line. You bench Diehl and Eli can worry less about his right side. Defenses would also stop shooting linemen to the right in full knowledge that Diehl is a huge weak point. What that means is even less pressure on Snee and Baas to overcompensate for Diehl’s underperformance. Furthermore, our running backs would be more effective in protecting Eli if they did not have to worry about Diehl’s guy breaking through in a matter of two seconds.

But why do I even bother? They’re not going to bench Diehl. They’re not going to reduce Bradshaw’s snaps. Coughlin and his staff value loyalty too much to do so.

•  Begiant says:

Is Bradshaw really that bad?

He seems effective to me…obviously that fumble was backbreaking but he before that he picked up a couple of first downs on the ground.

•  kinsho says:

Personally, I think Bradshaw was holding us back. Our run game was pathetic in the first three quarters largely due to his inability to exploit holes quickly and his lack of vision.

I love Bradshaw, but I think he needs to split more carries with Brown. We can argue that Bradshaw did well yesterday at 5.7 YPC, but compare that to Brown’s 9.3 yards per carry, even though he only had 7 touches. Granted, he chewed off a huge run late in the game, but Brown has potential that we’re squandering when we force most of the rushes on Bradshaw’s shoulders.

1 2 3