November 8th, 2012 at 1:12 PM

After missing practice on Wednesday due to swelling in his knee, New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks returned to the practice field on Thursday. He participated in a team walk-through and then ran routes in one-on-one drills, but his full level of participation will not be announced until later.

The news on offensive lineman Chris Snee was not nearly as positive, as he missed practice for the second consecutive day due to an ankle injury suffered in the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Head coach Tom Coughlin said on Wednesday that the injury was sustained early on in the game, and that Snee played through it.

Because of the lingering knee injury to Kenny Phillips and the uncertain status of Will Hill, who just returned from a four-game suspension, the Giants may have to shuffle their offensive line in the event Snee sits out on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Ideally, the team would re-sign Mitch Petrus to fill the void, but because they are likely to need Hill this weekend, that would require them to make two roster moves as opposed to one. Instead, they would likely shift David Diehl to RG and start Sean Locklear at RT.

In addition to Snee and Phillips, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, cornerback Michael Coe (unknown) and linebacker Jacquian Williams (knee) missed practice on Thursday.

Center David Baas (ankle), running back Andre Brown (shoulder), tight end Bear Pascoe (ankle), linebacker Keith Rivers (calf), defensive tackle Chris Canty (groin) and linebacker Chase Blackburn (hamstring) all appeared to be working on at least a limited basis.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, David Diehl, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Phillips, Mitch Petrus, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Locklear

36 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Returns to Practice; Chris Snee, Ahmad Bradshaw Sit Out”

I am not liking what I’m reading. Anyone who thinks the Bengals are stiffs who will just roll over no matter who we put out there on Sunday is deluding himself/herself. They are not a bad football team, they need a win, and they have players who can take advantage of problems on both sides of the trenches and make our game plans tough to execute.

I’m very, very, very cautiously optimistic that we win this game, but if we have to sit out Nicks, Snee, Canty and Blackburn I’m going to start getting very nervous.

•  Begiant says:

Obviously but to say were are underdogs is ridiculous. We are the defending Superbowl Champs and we just got outplayed on every level last week. We have the talent at key positions to win this game and Eli is taking extra time in practice to get the timing back. To say it is a guarantee is obviously absurd but we, as fans, should expect to win this game. The players should expect a tough game but realize that if they execute their plays then they will be in position to win.

Did I say we were underdogs?

I think we win, but I’m a lot less confident than the general fan base seems to be if we are sitting so many players. The Bengals are NOT stiffs.

•  Begiant says:

No I am just making a point saying we should feel confident and expect to win

obviously any given sunday and I am not guaranteeing a win, however we should expect to win despite our injuries

2.  TonyMW says:

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I just noticed that the game is blacked out Sunday. I’m unfamiliar with how that would effect someone with Sunday Ticket. Does that I mean I can’t watch the game?

•  Begiant says:

No. It means that you cannot watch it on local television, like Fox, if you live a certain distance away from the stadium because they want people to go to the game.

you pay extra for the right to see these games on sunday ticket so you are fine.

I think that is how it works

•  TonyMW says:

I figured that was the case, but I wanted to be sure. I’ve never experienced this scenario before. Thanks dude.

Blacked out where? That cannot be around New York.

It sounds like he’s a Giant fan in Bengal country because that’s the only place the game could be blacked out.

3.  TonyMW says:

Man, I really wish Antrel could keep his mouth closed, even just once. All I envision now is him either going for the big hit and whiffing, or taking a horrible angle en route to a 60yd TD.

•  Begiant says:

I like when Antrel talks. I think it adds a certain flare to our team. I would be angry if he just spouted BS and never backed it up but tells it like it is. In this instance I would rather he not challenge another player, especially one of Green’s caliber” but it is what it is. On the flip side it could challenge our defense to shut down one of the best receiveirs in the game.

•  TonyMW says:

Well, I don’t mind talking when the team as a whole is playing well and just shutting teams down, but this is not the case and not the time to be talking in my opinion. If the Giants need “talk” to challenge them to shut someone down, it’s time to make some changes. On top of that, we’ve been torched by much lesser WR’s than Green, he’s not the guy I’d go personally challenging.

Obviously, you didn’t hear what Green said. How is Rolle suppose to respond. I think he took the right tact. What if Green hesitates because he knows Rolle is looking to lay a shot on him. Anyway Rolle is one of our leaders and we have responded well to him before.

•  Begiant says:

I heard what Green said but Rolle just challenged him back

In this instance I would have rathered him say something like lets settle it on the field instead of directly challenging him

I believe Green just said our defense can be taken advantage of which never directly challenged Rolle

Green said we have a great pass rush but if they can protect then they will have chances. That’s clearly a shot at our secondary. All Rolle said as a safety was he shoul duck. I don’t see the issue with what Rolle said at all. In fact I’m glad he said it.

4.  Begiant says:

@NotoriousOHM
    Gilbride says going more no huddle is an option discussed to jump start offense
    ————————

HUZZAH!!!

F55 – I agree with you sentiment about this game. But I don’t think Nicks and Canty playing makes much difference. I think them playing banged up like Nicks has isn’t really any different than throwing Randle and Hixon out there. Canty if healthy enough makes a difference but I don’t know that he can even if he suits up. I think this is a tough game against a desperate talented team. In many ways it seems a lot like the Carolina game going in, I just hope we can play that well.

6.  rlhjr says:

Bengals WR A.J. Green on Giants: “I feel like they’ve got a lot of holes in their defense.”

Is that really such a lie? I do note he stoped short of calling them “soft”.
    But Coughlin did’nt. If they don’t play hard as a unit Sunday well……………..

That’s not the point. Players have pride so that type of talk is going to help fire on the secondary. Now will that cause improved performance idk but it’s just on of those things you try to aviod saying true or not.

Upset Watch: Cincinnati (+4) vs. New York Giants

The Giants started 6-2 before losing last week at home to the resurgent Pittsburgh Steelers. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The Giants have gone in the tank at midseason every year since 2006 — except for 2009, when they went in the tank at the start of October instead. Yes, twice the Giants made up for it by getting their collective act together by late December and going on a Super Bowl run. But they also missed the playoffs twice during that period.

Are the Giants about to enter another one of their second-half crashes? And is Cincinnati a team well-equipped to help make that happen?

The Bengals have the home-field advantage in this game, but otherwise they don’t seem to present the Giants with a particularly tough opponent. Cincinnati ranks just 24th in the Football Outsiders DVOA ratings. In fact, this game is an example of how the Giants won’t have to deal with one of the typical reasons for their second-half collapses: strength of schedule. Every year, the NFL seems to give the Giants a schedule that gets much, much harder after midseason. We projected the same problem for 2012, but because certain teams are worse than we had previously expected — particularly New Orleans and Philadelphia, but also Cincinnati — it’s not going to turn out that way. Based on the average DVOA of opponent, the Giants’ remaining schedule is about league average.

The other main culprit in these Giants collapses has usually been pass defense. Last year, for example, the Giants ranked 10th in pass defense DVOA through Week 9 and then 25th between Weeks 10 and 17. That was the fourth time in six years in which the Giants’ ranking in pass defense dropped by more than 15 places when we compare Weeks 1-9 to Weeks 10-17. In another year, it dropped by nine places.

If the Giants’ pass defense is going to have another midseason collapse in 2012, it didn’t start last week. The Giants kept Ben Roethlisberger to a reasonable 5.6 yards per pass play. The defense’s troubles in stopping the Pittsburgh running game and the Giants’ offensive struggles were bigger issues.

Can Andy Dalton put together a big game against this Giants defense? If he’s going to do it, he’s going to need better protection, as the Bengals are just 27th in adjusted sack rate. The Bengals are also going to have to figure out how to complete passes on third down. So far this season, the Bengals have the worst passing DVOA in the league on third down, while the Giants rank fourth in pass defense on third down.

Maybe part of the problem is that Dalton can’t seem to get it to A.J. Green enough when he desperately needs a conversion. Green is only third on the Bengals with 13 targets on third or fourth down, behind Jermaine Gresham (19) and Andrew Hawkins (16). Only four offenses have thrown less frequently to their No. 1 receiver on third/fourth down.

However, finding Green may be easier against the Giants. New York ranks just 19th in DVOA against No. 1 receivers. Corey Webster hasn’t played as well as he has in years past, and the Giants have given up some big games to other tall, speedy receivers of Green’s ilk, such as Vincent Jackson (128 yards) and Dez Bryant (195 yards in two games).

The Giants also have problems against little slot receivers, which could mean a nice game for Hawkins. New York is 27th in DVOA against “other receivers” (i.e., No. 3s and No. 4s). The Giants have the best defense in the league against running backs in the passing game, but that won’t matter much against a Bengals team that uses running backs in the passing game less than almost any other team.

We also could see the Giants allowing the same constant gains on the ground that were a problem against Pittsburgh. The Bengals don’t have a particularly good running game, but the main reason is that BenJarvus Green-Ellis almost never breaks off a long run. The Bengals do get good blocking and rank 11th in Football Outsiders’ adjusted line yards stats, which cut runs at specific lengths to measure the effect of blocking as opposed to running backs’ abilities in the open field. The Giants’ defense ranks 27th in ALY.

8.  Msoto says:

I think chase coming back is very important for us this week. I like herzlich and I think he will be a player but he looked very lost out there last week and we stop the run much better when chase plays. As for kildrive going more no huddle don’t you have to use the no huddle first to claim your going to use it more.

It’s nice that they’re discussing ‘no huddle offense’. But in Giantsland the time from when something new is discussed to when it’s actually tried on the field is about 2 years.

10.  njm0m says:

TonyMW are you in the NY area? I only ask because I don’t remeber what game it was this season, but my Direct TV Sunday ticket couldn’t air it, because it was blacked out. It was another NFC East team can’t remeber who. Demo has had it for years so he probably could answer better then me, but you may have a problem unless you get NY Fox.