New York Giants Donate $500K to Hurricane Sandy Relief

November 7th, 2012 at 6:50 AM
By Casey Sherman

'Hurricane Sandy & Marblehead [Front Street 5]' photo (c) 2012, Brian Birke - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The New York and New Jersey area were obviously greatly affected by Hurricane Sandy. There are many left without food, homes, and even loved ones. The New York Giants understand that those affected are their neighbors and many of them fans and took it upon themselves as an organization to contribute to the relief effort. Not only have they donated a sizeable amount of money, $500,000, but the players have found other ways to assist those they need it.

The organization's donation is being split between the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City and the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund

"The New York metropolitan area sustained extensive and devastating damage to its infrastructure in Hurricane Sandy," Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch stated. "The Giants want to do everything we can to assist our neighbors, fans and friends. Toward that end, after careful consideration, we have decided to make donations to these two very worthy funds. We are in this for the long haul and will continue to assist relief efforts in our hard-hit region."

Not only has the organization stepped up, but several individual players felt obliged to help their community as well. On Tuesday, Steve Weatherford, Prince Amukamara, Markus Kuhn, David Douglas, Brandon Mosley, Matt Broha, Terrence Fredrick and LaRon Scott could be found in Seaside Heights passing out foot to the victims. The New Jersey food bank also welcomed several Giants including Kevin Boothe, Lawrence Tynes, Justin Tuck, Domenik Hixon, Bear Pascoe, Jim Cordle, and David Baas, who helped prepare sandwiches.

Eli Manning and Osi Umenyiora recorded PSAs to raise awareness for the relief effort. Manning also made his way to Staten Island to help the Red Cross in their effort.

During the last game against the Steelers, a food drive was held that helped raise $18, 723 and 38,405 pounds of food. You can also help the relief effort by texting 9-0-9-9-9 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, John Mara, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Prince Amukamara, Steve Tisch

14 Responses to “New York Giants Donate $500K to Hurricane Sandy Relief”

Very cool thing to do. It’s going to be quite a while till it’s back to normal down there. And more weather on the way it seems.

I don’t know how many folks have seen this site … but it’s very informative. So for those who haven’t … FYI …

Well, first of all, kudos to the Giants for their concern for the region and their obvious commitment to make this donation one of a number of them. I still have no electricity at home but having seen the consequences of the storm in Gerritsen Beach, the Rockaways, and Long Beach, LI I am not going to complain about being inconvenienced and a bit discomforted. People are really hurting. I’ve given money and done some volunteering, but these poor souls need far more than anything any one of us can provide. It will be years before some of these communities recover fully, if ever.

Second, the big takeaway I get from that excellent link Krow offers is that Terrell Thomas will be back in 2013. I don’t know how his knee will hold up, but he will be given every chance to play since he is still owed the lion’s share of his guaranteed money and the Giants are going to want to get some production from what is a large investment that right now looks as if it may have gone bad. It would be BIG if he could come back as healthy as, say, Domenik Hixon, has.

Third, I want to answer Erichonious. I think you didn’t realize that I was not really criticizing Randle. I said he isn’t ready to make good route reads and is therefore not contributing enough, yet, but will in time. I also said his terrible play on that ball in the end zone on that fade route was unacceptable and had nothing to do with experience. He needs to catch that ball. I also said I think he will become a very good player. I also said a day earlier that anyone who didn’t miss Manningham right now was kidding himself because with Nicks damaged we really need a threat like Mario and don’t have it, and that those who had blithely dismissed the idea that he would be missed were dead wrong. And then I said you were wrong when you said Manningham “regularly” ran wrong routes. He did that occasionally, much more in his early years than later, and I used that as a reason to show that we should not assume Randle will correct this problem this season because either: Gilbride’s offense requires a lot of exposure before a player gets it; or, Randle is as dumb as Manningham supposedly was (my suspicion is that while neither is a rocket scientist neither is as “dumb” as one might suppose….I attribute the who thing to Gilbride’s options, which may be fine as a system, but not for rookie receivers).

4.  jfunk says:

People might not want to hear it, but the biggest problem with our offense right now isn’t Nicks’ injury, Manningham’s absence, or the RT.

It’s the quality of Eli Manning’s play. He sucks right now. When he turns himself around, the whole offense will go with him.

Sure, a healthy Nicks or a few more clutch plays where they could have been made by Cruz, Bennett, Randle, Bradshaw, etc. could certainly have mitigated our struggles and even changed the outcome of our losses…but that’s not “the problem”.

The problem is Eli is struggling right now. He’ll figure it out and he’ll get better. He always does. Hopefully Coughlin and Gilbride can help figure out a way to speed up that process or provide some sort of catalyst to it (perhaps changing up the routes like Cruz suggested Gilbride is doing will force Eli to “take a step back” as he has to learn something new.

But make no mistake Eli is the one true issue right now. Worrying about a drop here, a wrong route there, and the occasional blown blocking assignment is like worrying about the paint job on a car with no engine. Those things only matter when they are preventing this team from going as far as Eli will take them.

Yes, and no.

Eli is having a bad stretch and as he goes so go the Giants. Look what happened to the Packers when Rodgers was “off” his game early this season.

But part of the problem is that defensive coordinators (three in succession) are game planning very well, seem to have a good idea of what we’re trying to do on an awful lot of snaps, and are getting our receivers extremely well-covered while not worrying too much about our running game, feeling that they can handle it with 5-6 defenders. I watched the Steelers send a safety up toward the line on almost every play and then have him drop off into coverage on nearly every play yet never get hurt by the absence of that extra man in the box. They were making it tough for Eli to get an early read, tough for the receivers to read the defense, and tough for anyone to get very open. The bottom lines are that Eli and his receivers played poorly, the running game was non-existent, and LeBeau radically out-coached Gilbride. They thrashed us. As I’ve said, only two questionable calls, both of which went in our favor, kept that game from being an embarrassment.

And yet…… I think that much like Dallas, Pittsburgh put together their best game of the year against us; our players and staff HAD to be distracted by Sandy (which directly affected many of them); and we just seemed to play one of our usual mid-season stinkers at a time when, thankfully, the loss hurt not a bit in the divisional standings and in fact we GAINED ground on our divisional rivals that lost conference games while we did not.

You’re right. Eli will straighten this out. But those other factors played a big role in this too, and had been threatening to do so for the previous few weeks as well. All I know is that we are sitting pretty and will be sitting even prettier if we win on Sunday no matter what happens elsewhere. Win in Cincy and all the moaning and groaning should stop (but won’t).

I disagree … to a degree. It’s true that Eli is not in top form. We’ve all seen him a lot better. But it’s not like the offense is firing on all cylinders either. The run game is stagnant at best … and the WRs are really not getting a lot of separation.

Whether it’s scheme … good opposing game plans … injuries … predictability … bad karma … I really don’t know. But it’s not like Eli is missing wide open receivers.

What I’m saying it that there’s more to this than just Eli. Some of the problem can certainly be laid on his doorstep, but not all … and one could argue not even the lion’s share.

•  Dirt says:

I’m sticking by my assessment that part of the reason we’re seeing the plays called as they are is a conscious coaching decision as a result of some recent terrible mistakes by Eli.

I agree. I think the point Jfunk is making is that we got similar or better play around Eli last year and still had a high powered offense so if he returns to that play these other issues will not stop us from scoring more points. I think the MM over the season compare to last year is overstated some because he missed games as did Nicks so there were only a handful of games after we discovered Cruz that we had all 3 WRs healthy. Clearly we do have to replace his presence for the stretch run but we still have time to get Randle or Hixon to do a reasonable job by then. The OL is better as are the RBs. Bennett is more of a threat at TE – he caught a very clutch TD vs TB.

Repost:

Nosh.0 says:
    November 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    Crazy week. Just got power back today. Have a ton to say but I’ll wait for another day as I’m sure people are focusing on the election results tonight. Anyway here’s my weekly tuesday contribution.

Football Outsiders Week 9 Power Rankings
    Again these rankings are based on data from every snap played this season
    Giants
    Overall: 7
    Offense: 6
    Defense: 8
    Specials: 14

That’s actually pretty damned good.

This is very interesting. I know it’s a lot of stats but shows a few things that are contrary to popular belief. Our strength of schedule so far is ranked 13th and the remaining schedule is 15th. I know many would wait how did these geeks get that wrong. But think about it we play Cin, No, Was and Phi all who have been below average teams. It also highlights that dallas SOS so far is #1 and their remaining schedule is 30th. It also ranks us as the 3rd least consistent team – I think most of us would agree with that ranking. We are the record we should be with our stats while Dallas should be 5-3. Good stuff.

6.  F0XLIN says:

Nicks not practicing, swelling knee again.

I would shut him down until after the bye at this point

7.  rlhjr says:

In order to help Eli regain his “mojo” the running game and high percentage passing have to come into play. The “Bombs Away” approach is not going cut it.

He needs to develop rhythm and re-establish the feel for his receivers.
    Fundamentals first, then turn it loose. IMHO.