November 6th, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Safety Will Hill returned to the New York Giants on Monday for the first time since October 8th following a four-game suspension for the use of Adderall. As it was with Tyler Sash before him, the Giants now have a one-week roster exemption that will allow them to practice with 54 players until Monday (11/12) or until Hill is put back on the 53-man roster.

Hill's return comes at an interesting time for the Giants, who have seen the emergence of Stevie Brown and will likely also see the return of Kenny Phillips on Sunday. Along with Antrel Rolle and Tyler Sash, Big Blue doesn't appear to have any additional room at safety, but it's unlikely Hill is going to get the ax.

After surprising in training camp, Hill came on strong in the preseason and carried it over into the regular season. Prior to his suspension, Hill had seen an increase in not only his Special Teams role, but his defensive role.

In five games this season, Hill has 11 tackles, two forced fumbles and one pass defended.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown, Tyler Sash, Will Hill

24 Responses to “New York Giants’ Will Hill Returns from Suspension; Team Has One-Week Roster Exemption”

1.  Dirt says:

First, all you clowns better go out and vote.

Second, while the Giants squdered a golden opportunity, as predicted, they lost no ground this week. In fact, they lost an AFC game, which hurts less than the Dallas and Philly losses.

Third, given how top seeds have shut it down and been spanked in the playoffs by desperate teams, maybe having a 3.5 game lead with 7 to play on the eve of all your divisional foes ready to knock each other out wasn’t really a great thing anyway. Especially for a team that (allegedly) thrives with its back against the wall.

2.  JimStoll says:

Eagles lose so giants indeed get a free pass for this past weekend now lets see if the G-Men can capitalize by winning this weekend against cincy

3.  GIANTT says:

Well , as much as the doom and gloom was written about and how bad the Giants played etc etc etc . What sayeth thou doom and gloomer ? I dont remember the last time the NFC east lost all its games but it hasnt happened often .
    The Giants are still up on the rest of the division . They played the toughest team on Sunday and score wise it could have gone either way . So , before anyone jumps anywhere , even off the curb , Just click on and read Redskins 101 and read some really serious commentary about how fans feel about their team . Im sure Benton would have banned half of the G101ers by now . (Just kidding Dan , you are the most easy going and liberal of moderators ) . Is he still reading ? but seriously , watching the Eagles last night , or at least towards the end of the game , how bad were they ? Just think of this , if the Eagles got up for and played as well against other teams as the do against the Giants then we would be in serious trouble . Be thankful that the Giants are the only team they and the rest of the NFC east gets up for .
    Stormwise , I see we are not out of the woods yet so I will be taking precautions for sure . I just hope that there is not any further serious damage from this coming storm .
    Its also Election day , – whoever you support make sure you get the chance and VOTE . no more politics

•  JimStoll says:

the state of the NFC East is truly making life easier on the giants, but they are not out of the woods
      the team is clearly slumping and the one thing the giants have always lacked is the killer instinct
      other than an occasional magical playoff run, they can never put anyone out of their misery
      that’s why the giants really need to beat cincy
      lose that game at at least one of their adversaries will be only one game behind with 7 to play
      and the g-men come off the bye and face GB
      so if they lose to cincy they likely will be 6-5 and tied for first heading into the final 6
      still a lot of work to do
      cincy may well be the most important game of the season

Your point is fair. But I will remind you as you probably are well aware of that there is no game we can’t win. There’s no way GB at home is at worse a toss up.

That being said this Bengal game is huge and does determine whether we can cruise or not. Regardless if we lose we are only one game on the loss column up. Conversely, if we win we are 2 games up.

Absolutely correct. Cincy should be a comfortable win. But sadly it’s exactly the scenario where we often fold.

But 7-3 … needing only 3 wins to ice the Division … is where we need to be sitting going into the bye. 6-4 not only makes us vulnerable but also gives hope to both the Eagles and the Cowboys. A loss to the lowly Bengals would be a punch in the gut.

4.  LUZZ says:

Eric – It doesn’t appear we are communicating very well. I would like to see Wilson get more touches as well. I would also like to see the passing game get more creative. But don’t you think every other fan base has a long list of things they would like to see their coaching staff do a lot better?

Critique Coughlin and the staff all you want. By the way, you were more than a little harsh with your comments, so don’t say you were doing it with a level head. Just know that when you are critiquing TC you are speaking about one of the best staffs in all the league and one that has produced outcomes that 100% of the NFL front offices would sign up for in a heart beat today.

Even though we are in a great position much like last year we have division control but have a very tough schedule left. Whereas both Dallas and Philly have what appear to be much easier schedules. So while neither team has inspired great confidence, a run is certainly possible.

For one of the few times in a while I will be rooting hard for Philly next week. I think Dallas has less core problems and really could generate a challenge if they beat Philly next week. Dallas has lost to us, bal, GB, ATL and sea. So while everyone gets on them for losing games they could have won maybe they just can’t beat the better teams. However, their second half is filled with below average teams which means they could put together a run without even playing any better. When you look at the state Philly and Was are in they have 4 games that are very winnable plus clev, cin and no. Only Pitt looks like a game they should lose. Which is exactly why I will be rooting for Philly. Philly has a horrible offensive line. Even if they get on a run I have to think that line will cost them at least two games.

•  Eric S says:

Clearly we’re having communication issues. For instance you say “Critique Coughlin and the staff all you want.” but you also say “But don’t you think every other fan base has a long list of things they would like to see their coaching staff do a lot better?” and “Just know that when you are critiquing TC you are speaking about one of the best staffs in all the league and one that has produced outcomes that 100% of the NFL front offices would sign up for in a heart beat today.” Both those retorts serve to delegitimize any and all criticism whether fair or not.

I’m sorry you’re so sensitive about my “harsh” criticism. But what was harsh about it? My use of the word “criminal”? Really? How about I say that it’s a shame Brown and Wilson don’t get more carries. That it’s a shame Diehl plays over Locklear etc.. is that gentle enough for you? It’s entirely possible to have a strong opinion and be level headed at the same time.

To recap, I never said Coughlin or his staff stunk or were horrible. Never said they should be fired. Never said the 2 SB runs were anything but awesome. All I’ve said is that the SB runs do not give them a free pass from fair criticism. What about any point I’ve made is unfair? I defended Jim’s point that we’ve seen this kind of up and down play from this team under Coughlin before. We have. The second half swoon meme didn’t just come from nowhere. Is it wrong to point that out? Is that too harsh? I’ve said Brown should start over Bradshaw and that Wilson should get more carries. I’ve said Locklear should start over Diehl. I’ve said we need to add more variety to our passing game. Did I use language to indicate how strongly I feel about these issues? Yes. Was it harsh or irrational? Not at all.

Last night’s game provided a good contrast of styles between Fewell’s BDB defense and Spags’ blitz-happy schemes.

While one has resulted in a Superbowl trophy … the latter is a hell of a lot more satisfying when it works. Of course when it doesn’t you’re scorched.

Not complaining … I’ll take the Lombardi any day of the week. But it was so fun watching that blitz devour the Eagles. I wish we could find some way to meld the two.

I said about ten days ago that 7-3 at the bye would be all we needed. And that was BEFORE the thud we all heard as the Eagles allowed the Saints to complete a shutout of the entire NFC East this past week. Now, even 6-4 would suffice, but 7-3 would be terrific. Why would 6-4 suffice? Because our three rivals have plenty of games against each other and none appear capable of sweeping the others. They should each have at least two more losses in the division and one outside it. If the best any will get to is 8 wins and the Giants need only three of their last six games they should be in great shape. If they only need two wins they’re sitting on top of the world.

While your overall point is fair I think 6-4 is not a strong position because Dallas or Philly will be 4-5. That’s just a game out in the lost column. We hope Dallas, Philly and Was just all beat up on each other but one could emerge.

Will Hill HAS to stay on the roster. Tyler Sash is absolutely expendable. One has the potential to be a starting safety in this league for a long time. The other is a “nice” player who could easily be replaced.

The more I think about it the issue with our special teams I believe is assisted by our injuries. Core special teams players in Herzlich and Brown are now starting so they don’t quite have the same pop. Getting KP and Blackburn back will turn Brown and Herzlich back into top sepecial teams players. Missing Williams and Hill for the last several games also has hurt. There return will help.

This is correct.

Some of the guys playing on specials right now are bottom-of-the-barrel players and a few don’t look like they welcome a lot of contact.

Question – I was on vacation last week. Why was beckum activated? I’m not sayin he couldn’t help but I’m just curious why so soon?

I still son understand the Diehl starting. I just hope that if Diehl play as bad this week that TC/KG/PF have the guts to pull him for Lockear doing the bye.

Like the Giants, I will make no excuse for their performance on Sunday. They were plain bad. But I am starting to believe that the chaos in the area caused by the storm (and which clearly affected the lives of a good number of the players, most of whom live in New Jersey) did have an effect on their readiness to play. They are, after all, human beings first and football players second.

I know many have said “Well, if that were true why did they play fine for three quarters and then go downhill?”. See, I don’t think they played well right from the opening kick. Frankly, if not for a questionable call on the Roethlisberger fumble and another on the hit on Cruz, the Giants are never really even in that game. They were dominated by a Steelers team that is good, but not better than the Giants. I thought the Giants were “out of rhythm” all game. Eli (who has a toddler and was directly affected in Hoboken by a flooded building that probably forced him into a hotel) and Kiwi (who has a family and lost his new home entirely) looked like they just weren’t focused all game. I’m sure others were just as unfocused but I don’t know their stories. The psychological toll from personal losses and the general depression that fell over the entire region HAD to have a real affect on the play of the team.

I’m not saying that’s an excuse. You need to try and get that stuff out of your head when you’re at work. But how many of us felt like it was tyough to focus last week? How many were upset that because cell service was spotty at best that our families couldn’t know we were safe? How many found the inconveniences ranging from the absence of fuel to the absence of heat annoying, at best? The players and coaches had the same experience. They’re not automatons. It HAD to influence them.

Thankfully, the loss cost them absolutely nothing except a chance to really put their foot at the throat of each of their NFC East rivals. But they get a chance to do that again this Sunday, much more removed from the worst psychological affects of Sandy. I expect a big game out of Big Blue in Cincy, after which the fan base will look up and see sunshine where they now see lots of clouds.

I also wonder if winning even though we didn’t play well for a few weeks hurt us. Sometimes you don’t learn in a win. I think the Bengal game will show us a lot about where we stand as a team. The bengals are good enough to beat us HU not good enough to beat us if we play well.

In addition, I wonder if playing the bengals a week after Peyton will help Eli. We know they talk and he might have some insights that will help Eli break out.

norm says:
      November 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM
      This one has all the earmarks of a loss.

An emotionally drained, Sandy-distracted Giants team gets rolled by a more focused, better prepared Steelers squad.

34-21, Pittsburgh.

Prescient. That score differential is about where it would have been had the zebras not done us some favors for a change.