November 6th, 2012 at 10:44 AM

'Justin Tuck' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Just prior to their game with the Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck warned that the team needed to forget their 6-2 record and focus on avoiding another second-half collapse. They were promptly defeated 24-20 on Sunday, and the immediate concern of another potential late-season swoon overcame fans and media alike. But Tuck brushed off said concerns, claiming that he's not worried about a collapse after only one game.

"No, I’m not worried," said Tuck. "We won the Super Bowl last year and didn’t win a game in November. If you ask me would I want to win a Super Bowl like that again? Sure."

Alas, Tuck isn't interested in a completely failed month of November. He and the Giants, ideally, would like to make it a bit easier on themselves than they did a season ago. That starts with having confidence in themselves and each other.

"Do I want to go 0-for November? Absolutely not," Tuck said. "[Are we] worried about it? No. I feel very confident in this team understanding the urgency of it. We kind of brought it to the forefront and everybody knows about it, rookies involved. We just got to go out and play better and not worry about what our past has been."

With their loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, the Giants' second-half record dropped to 27-38 under head coach Tom Coughlin since 2004. They'll have another opportunity to improve on that record this coming Sunday when they take on the Cincinnati Bengals.

Tags: Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

14 Responses to “Giants’ Justin Tuck not Worried About Potential Swoon: “I Feel Very Confident in This Team””

1.  JimStoll says:

Funny, but I’m pretty sure he said the exact same thing last year and “whoopsie”

at least we now live in the dysfunctional NFC East where there is a heated race to the bottom

If he didn’t feel this way I would be worried. As fans we can believe whatever but the team should always be confident in its abilities. Maybe the probowl version of Tuck is returning.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

This team really eats it at home.

The rookies have not done particularly well of late, but they are being used enough to have their learning curve improved and will hopefully contribute down the stretch.

Hosley had crazy talent but appears to have no idea what he’s doing on some plays. He left his man completely open on that penultimate Steelers conversion when they had third-and-long and completed a very easy pass into an area where no one was covering within 7-8 yards.

Randle appears incapable of reading the defense. Remember all that gnashing of teeth about Manningham and how his lack of intelligence was so obvious since he seemed to be in the wrong place half the time? Well I guess Randle must not have done much better on the IQ tests (or, once again, making the right reads as a rookie is very, very hard….when he had set patterns for one game he looked like a stud). Just possibly Mario was treated unfairly by a lot of fans. Randle was clueless against the Steelers (and then, topping it off, made a horrible effort on that fade into the end zone that he absolutely should have caught, which would have given the Giants a likely win in another game in which they seemed outplayed). he is contributing very little so far.

Wilson is doing well on returns but needs to break one. He should be getting more offensive touches but I guess has to wait until Bradshaw or Brown is injured. I still think he should become a MAJOR contributor down the stretch and into the playoffs. I just wish I knew what these coaches are thinking because he could create a threat in SO many ways that it would allow the offense to do things they now cannot simply because defenses have to deploy differently when Wilson plays.

•  BLU-82 says:

That Hosley play looked designed to me. He had Sanders blanketed and then went zone. Someone has blundered, I’m just am not sure it was him on that play.

Looked to me like he thought they were going to zone but weren’t.

Herzlich was FAR away and I don’t think he would have been so far off if they had called a zone.

Pretty sure it was Hosley’s fault.

•  JimStoll says:

Hosely has been awful for 3 straight weeks
          Randal has had a couple of nice long catches but not good otherwise — surprising to me that the giants are forcing him with Hixon and Barden available
          Wilson I can’t explain
          He hasn’t been given enough touches to know whether he’s ready or not
          given what Martin is doing in Tampa and Richardson in cleveland, the entire Wilson thing is depressing

but what is really too bad is the insistence on sticking with Bradshaw and the re-insertion of Diehl
          both may end up killing the season

•  Eric S says:

Careful Jim, can’t be seen critiquing those decisions to stick with Bradshaw and re-insert Diehl, lest the LUZZsaw will come down on your harsh abuse of this staff. After all, 2 SB’s in 5 years, yadayada, parity, blahblahblah, any team would gladly trade places with us, etcetera, etcetera, it automatically makes them beyond reproach. Didn’t you get the memo?

•  BLU-82 says:

FF55- you may be right, I’d like to see the play again. I don’t recall seeing the positioning of the rest of the players around him.

5.  norm says:

The second half steel cage death match between the rest of the NFC East gets underway next Sunday when the desperate Eagles host the reeling Cowboys.

The loser of that game will be 3-6, eliminated from any hopes at a divisional crown and all but eliminated from the postseason.

The winner will be 4-5 but would still find itself 2.5 games back in the division if the Giants take care of business against the Bengals.

Simply put, a Giants win on Sunday would pretty much clinch the NFC East for the boys in Blue. Pretty hard to fathom just halfway into the season but the numbers don’t lie. Barring an epic collapse by the Giants, 2.5 games represents a nearly insurmountable deficit for next Sunday’s Philly-Dallas winner to make up with just seven games remaining.

I think the bye will be extremely helpful to the rookies. I think they need to be recharged from the grind. The rookies will be need if we are to repeat. It reminds me a lot of 2007. It think it shows a lot that Randle and Hosley are gettin so much time even with their struggles.

I know everyone wants to see more Wilson but the fact is that he has two pretty good players in front of him. Brown has played well enough that he has earned time. And Bradshaw has earned confidence over the years. TB has a knew staff and no history with any of the players while Cleveland was always starting Richardson. A 3rd RB with as much as we run the ball just isn’t going to get that many touches. I do think if the offense struggles again next week that Wilson will be worked in more doing the bye.

I think the young players will determine where this team will go. Prince and Hosley will determine our CB play. Williams, Paysinger and Rivers will be needed especially in the passing game. Brown and Hill will continue to have some play at safety but be the bellcows of our coverage unit. In addition, our young stars like nicks, Cruz, JPP, Joseph, Beatty all need to raise their games. Of course we need Eli to bounce back but I think that’s almost a given. The key will be how our young talent can infuse energy and raise the level of play of our team.

7.  ERICHONIUS says:

I have a question, will Eli be quoted on the poor eli segment this week?

8.  ERICHONIUS says:

@FF55
    on Manningham vs Randle: Randle is a rookie, wow he has had difficulty making reads… Manningham was a 4 year vet and still was consistently making the wrong reads.

Manningham as a rookie had 4 receptions for 26 yards (6.5 avg)…
    Randle as a rookie has 9 receptions for 156 yards (17.1 avg)…
    Manningham this year has 28 receptions for 278 yards (9.9 avg)…

So you think Randle is better than Manningham, right now? What I said yesterday was that it would be great to have Mario right now and those who were quick to say “who needs him?” were dead wrong given Nicks’ injuries.

I just used Manningham’s rookie reputation to show that Randle has reasons for not having been all that effective in reading coverage. I think Randle is going to be an excellent receiver, but it won’t be until late this season, if then.

By the way, a big part of Randle’s stats (and I couldn’t care less about football stats) is based upon one big play. And Manningham was most certainly NOT “consistently making the wrong reads”. He made them occasionally. So, btw, do Cruz and Nicks. I was defending Randle’s inabilities in that area and also suggesting Manningham gets a bad rap. Your comment proves my point. Thanks.