New York Giants Insider Report: Post-Sandy Pittsburgh Steelers Edition

November 4th, 2012 at 10:56 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

'Ben Roethlisberger' photo (c) 2012, Jeffrey Beall - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ A bit late this week because of the storm, he's our weekly crossover piece with the boys from Steelers101.com as Eli Manning and the New York Giants hope to forget about the destruction caused by the storm for a few hours this afternoon while Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers come to town.

We've heard all about the Steelers having to travel from Pittsburgh this morning because they couldn't find a hotel, but let's get a little deeper with Mark Mihalko from Steelers 101 and see what we're in store for.

We've heard a lot this year about a shaky, unhealthy offensive line. Is Big Ben getting beat up that bad back there?

It is honestly hard to tell whether the Steelers offensive line has been playing better lately or if new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is just doing a better job game planning. The new dink-and-dunk offense has paid dividends with Roethlisberger getting the ball out of his hands quicker than he did in seasons past. It also looks like the reason for this new found success in the running games, as teams are playing outside for the quick passing game and Dwyer has been very patient.

Biggest weakness: rookie Mike Adams can be exposed by an outside speed rush at right tackle a la the Philadelphia Eagles wide-nine approach. To compensate, they play with a tight end or back chipping a lot on that side. Looming as an even bigger issue is depth, as one injury to a tackle will have them scrambling.

This makes us giddy at the thought of seeing Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul matched up against Adams.

Jonathon Dwyer had some pretty good games on my fantasy team the last two weeks, but it looks like he and Mendenhall are out. Should be scared of an Isaac Redman-led running game?

Redman should get the bulk of the carries with Baron Batch and Chris Rainey sprinkled in. They have been running Rainey a bit more in recent weeks and he may be the healthiest back available. However, his smallish size will limited his touches.

Survey says….not really? That Redman is averaging 2.5 yards a carry this season and hasn't done much while Dwyer and Mendenhall both had far more success when in there, and that Mark immediately brought up Rainey when asked about Redman makes us think the Giants can make the Steelers one-dimensional today.

The Steelers have a pretty good 1-2-3 punch in Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Heath Miller. How can we expect to see these weapons used? Are there any under-the-radar playmakers we should know about?

This new offense really suits all three of those guys and for the first time in his career Ben is really taking what the defense gives. If there is a difference in targets, it would be that Wallace seems to get more than Brown but it really appears to be a game-to-game situation. Miller is having a Pro Bowl season, and if he was not forced to stay in and block as much, he may have even better numbers.

One player that is really coming on is Emmanuel Sanders, the number three guy, who has come up big with some third down receptions in the past few weeks.

Sanders is a good young receiver who can definitely hurt us (especially if he gets locked up on rookie Jayron Hosley) That said, we're pretty worried about the Steelers passing game as a whole…they've got some big fish in that aerial attack and it's their best shot at knocking us off.

Of course, the biggest part of most NFL games are injuries and the Steelers have their fare share.

The Polamalu injury may hurt the worst, as it has exposed the safety position, especially when Ryan Clark is not on the field. Woodley is listed as probable and may play, but that is a fluid situation. Cornerback Ike Taylor has struggled all season when not given help, and we would think that the Giants attack him. The Steelers have also not done well against the run or on third down. The Giants should be successful by going no-huddle and mixing run and pass. That is what has killed this defense all season (especially in the fourth quarter).

And finally, the Steelers win if…

….they can get off the field on third down and keep Roethlisberger standing. The defense has been all over the place in 2012 and appear to be trending up. However, they are still not where they need to be. Last weekend the Washington Redskins let them off the hook with a ton of crucial drops that ended drives. Offensively, with Redman returning from injury and poised to carry the load, the Steelers may be forced to use the short pass as a running game. If they can do this and keep Ben clean for a couple shots downfield, they may be able to pull out a victory.

Big thanks to Mark for his work…and we absolutely love that "may be able to pull out a victory" line. Seems that people have started to recognize the Giants as a formidable foe.

Uh-oh.

Tags: Ben Roethlisberger, Chris Rainey, Eli Manning, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jayron Hosley, Mike Adams, Mike Wallace, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins

26 Responses to “New York Giants Insider Report: Post-Sandy Pittsburgh Steelers Edition”

1.  rlhjr says:

NFL net being “KIND” to the Giants. Warner picking Eli over Rapist.
    Sapp even taking the Giant defense over the (not so) steel curtain.
    Even the edge in receivers went the New York. The Frisco game taught them a lesson maybe?

Make no mistake, if the Giants play ball today, Pitt is toast. No going to be easy, but a combination of run and pass will win it for the Giants.
    Also, I would like to see some passing to set up (1st down) the run.
    And I would like to see how the steeler D will (not quick enough) react to Wilson.

Some screens to counter the blitz on passing downs. But the key is will they respect Wilson as anything else but a receiver/runner? Brown at this point might be more convincing as a blocker. Interesting watch today for sure.
    Are Wilson and Brown ready to be trusted in the pass blocking scheme? If not they almost give away the plays that can be used when they enter the game.

2.  kujo says:

Todd Haley is running the same dink and dunk offense that scrubs like Rex Grossman, Josh Freeman and Vince Young have used to such great effect against us in the past. The problem is that Ben Roethlisberger is no scrub, and his passing weapons, misused though they area, aren’t scrubs either. I don’t care who they pluck off the street to play running back today–this is going to be a tough game, especially if we’re down Kenny Phillips and Jaiquan Williams. I was thinking that the 3 safety look was tailor-made to counteract this offense, so not having it in our arsenal–or not having it at its optimum with AR, KP and Downtown– will surely make things tougher.

28-24 Giants.

•  TonyMW says:

I agree. While I think we win, I’d be thoroughly shocked if it was by anymore than 3-4 points.

•  TonyMW says:

Also, speaking of “tailor-made”…..I’ve watched a few Steelers games, and their offense sure seems “tailor-made” to abuse our style of defense.

•  demo3356 says:

Gonna be a slobber knocker thats for sure

•  kujo says:

I remember the 2008 game was as well. Gonna be watching it with a few Steeler fans as well. If you ever loud sounds coming from near MCO, just know that it’s me abusing my future best man and his brother.

3.  TonyMW says:

In continuation from the last thread-

While I think Payton is, without a doubt, a “good” coach, I can’t help but wonder how much of his “greatness” can be attested to having a QB like Brees. I understand that the common opinion is that Brees is a “system QB” and Payton made him, but I seem to remember a certain HC (Jim Fassel of all people) stripping his play-calling duties and having said offense turn around dramatically.

I’m not saying that Payton in Dallas won’t be an improvement over Jason Garrett, but we also shouldn’t pretend that Romo is the QB that Brees is. I’d actually welcome Payton is Dallas. I love when division rivals have to learn new systems every couple of years, while we churn away w/ the proven Coughlin/Gilbride/Eli combo.

•  BLU-82 says:

I’m with you on having our competitors learn a new system every few years, but if there’s a system I don’t want them to learn ever it’s whatever the Saints run offensively. They always seem to have our number in a horrendous fashion. Here’s to hoping for revenge a few weeks down the road.

4.  TonyMW says:

I may be late to the party here, but it really just totally dawned on me that we’ve yet to face a QB this season that isn’t known for his running ability or mobility out of the pocket. Truly a testament to the evolution of the game. What I’d give for a Kurt Warner or Drew Bledsoe type right about now….

5.  norm says:

This one has all the earmarks of a loss.

An emotionally drained, Sandy-distracted Giants team gets rolled by a more focused, better prepared Steelers squad.

34-21, Pittsburgh.

Two things.

First of all, I spent from late yesterday afternoon through most of the night and this morning volunteering in Gerritsen Beach and then in the Rockaways. It’s hard to believe how bad things are over there. Any comment I made about it being a close call but that I thought the Marathon should be run was before I knew about how badly people who are, essentially, cut off from the world, have been hit. No way that race should have been run. And no way this region is going to recover quickly from that storm. It will affect everything for years to come. But right now, except for a smattering of volunteers, many of the hardest-hit communities are absolutely on their own. Not nearly enough emergency workers and utility workers and others to help yet.

Second, while I’m not happy to hear KP may not play, I think that adding Paysinger to the mix would help a lot. Let’s not forget that kid. He’s a playmaker. We’d be better off with the three-safety look, but he can run almost as well as a safety. He may be as much help against Miller as would be anyone.

•  TonyMW says:

Much respect to you for offering a hand, when the hands are obviously limited. All of my family is in Staten Island and North Jersey….they’re struggling, but they didn’t even get hit hard. My heart truly goes out to those who did.

As far as Paysinger, run almost like a safety? Maybe if that safety is CC Brown. While I DO like the guy, I recall him not exactly being renowned for his foot speed.

•  norm says:

Maybe Reese should think about trading for Drew Brees this offseason.

If he brings the same magic to post-Sandy NY & NJ that he brought to New Orleans post-Katrina, then this region will be fully rebuilt by the start of next season.

•  TonyMW says:

You didn’t hear? Tim Tebow requested the upcoming games off in preparation of hosting a midnight vigil w/ a subsequent spiritual cleansing of the area. We don’t need Drew Breesus, we already have our savior in-state.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I too volunteered but out east by green point where the damage was severe but little talked about. My only qualm bout the whole marathon thing was that it shoulda been canceled sooner. Bloomberg dropped the ball on this storm. And FEMA once agains proves to be useless.

7.  GmenMania says:

I think that although the Steelers will drive us crazy with long drives and lots of field goals, the Giants will eventually pull it out on another 4th quarter Eli comeback. 27-20.

On another topic, any of you thinking it would be GOOD to have Payton wind up with Dallas is nuts. Look, their defense is becoming very good, and Rob Ryan just showed us two GREAT game plans that essentially shut down our top offense (he out-coached Gilbride on both occasions). Had their offense not been so inconsistent and irresponsible they’d now have two consecutive wins against us and three of the last four. As it is, I hope they get knocked out of the playoffs because I do NOT want to see them again.

Add a brilliant offensive mind to the mix in Dallas and the NFC East will become such an absurdly tough division that the possibilities of reaching the playoffs each year, even with a great roster and good coaching, is going to get exponentially tougher. I hope he stays right where he is in New Orleans. Actually, I’m okay with his going anywhere but the NFC East, Atlanta or San Francisco.

•  TonyMW says:

lol….stop jumping to conclusions. No one said that it would be “good” if Payton was in Dallas. I personally like the over-matched Jason Garrett at the helm just fine. I just don’t think that Payton is some offensive god that others think. He certainly has his flaws.

•  TonyMW says:

Also, I seem to recall that before the season a lot of folks were saying that the Saints were doomed without Payton. While their record surely sucks, I attest that to the fact that they have a defense that is on pace to be the worst in NFL history. You could seriously take 11 random G101 posters and have comparable results. All while the offense is still churning out close to 400 yds a game.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m not underestimating the steelers but I have a feeling that the giants come to really play today and put it on them. Just don’t see it being the slugfest some of u guys do. But then again, I’m more often wrong than right.

27-17 giants

• Similar feeling. Sloppy, slow first half while both teams commit to unproductive running games. High scoring second half with lots of passing.

10-7 Big Blue at the half. Maybe 13-17.

Big Blue wins 30-24.

10. Fantasy Football question for those of you addicts out there:

Do you ever get a feeling in your stomach when your entire team is playing at 1 o’clock?

Or feel good when your opponent has almost all 1:00 p.m. players and you have a bunch of fours and a primetime or two.

I know it’s probably half my neurosis and the other half that is the human mind’s ability to hope (or, that there’s appears more value in the starts yet to come, as they’re viewed through the rose colored glasses of optimism)…but I would absolutely love to see some research on fantasy outputs as they differ between time slots (1, 4 and primetime).

Part of me feels like 1 o’clock games always start off sleepy. Lots of running and getting into the flow of things and establishing field position and whatever.

Probably just in my head, but I wonder…