With Trade Deadline 4 P.M. Thursday, Might New York Giants Make a Move?

November 1st, 2012 at 10:56 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

The short answer is no, probably not…but you never know what might happen as deadlines creep near. The New York Giants don't have any obvious glaring needs, but the trade rumors around the league are heating up and we wanted to get in on the fun.

'Cam Newton DeAngelo Williams' photo (c) 2011, Parker Anderson - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Down by the Carolina Panthers, rumors of a fire sale have put the names of both DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith into the mill, Detroit's general manager has a reputation for being willing to deal and plenty of teams around the league have found themselves in the unenviable position of needing to replace injured guys.

That said, we doubt the Giants will be involved in anything major (certainly not with the caliber player of Smith or Williams). In fact, it's most likely the Giants do absolutely nothing before today's deadline…but it's not altogether out of the question.

If a fire sale does go down somewhere, Jerry Reese will see if he can scoop up a good player for less than cost. And hey, Reese already tried to upgrade Mitch Petrus once this season so why not again? And you never know when a team desperate for secondary help calls for back-end of the roster guys like Tyler Sash or Justin Tryon. But these are the kind of deals, if any, we'd expect.

We'll keep you updated here at Giants101.com all day. Drop by in the comments and let us know what kind of deal you would be looking to make if you were Jerry Reese.

Tags: Carolina Panthers, DeAngelo Williams, Football, Jerry Reese, Justin Tryon, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Tyler Sash

52 Responses to “With Trade Deadline 4 P.M. Thursday, Might New York Giants Make a Move?”

1.  Willy Wonka says:

any guess on how long it takes for one of our “genius” posters to come up with an argument about how we are going to deal osi for x y z? + – at 400 minutes starting now

•  Levito says:

Osi for a sack of potatoes.

•  Emperor Norton says:

Osi to the Bucs for exclusive TV revenue rights for Josh Freeman. He’s dreamy.

•  GIANTT says:

Willy , are you saying that there is NO deal you would make for Osi right now ? As much as Osi is a fan favorite in years past but with the way he has performed this year there is nothing you would take for him ? I can agree JPP on the defensive side and as much as I love Osi , if someone came begging with a BOATLOAD of picks you wouldnt think about it ?

•  Chad Eldred says:

At a good price, I’d ship Osi in a heartbeat. We’ve basically gotten to 6-2 without him making any significant impact. I’d rather have him for the stretch run, without a doubt, but a good GM listens to any and all offers before dismissing them. At the right price, anyone is fair game.

•  Willy Wonka says:

who are you going to replace osi with raw ojomo and adrian tracy? Moving Kiwi midseason to permnament de?

Scenario A. As much as yall on here love them, get real they DO NOT bring the same thing at this point (yeah maybe later, but now NO)

Scenario B. With Rivers and Jacquain ailing I am curious who you are sticking at olb, and what you are going to do in a situation in which boley, jacquian, or rivers suffers a serious injury resulting in them going on ir

•  Willy Wonka says:

I am saying that that hypothetical situation is never going to happen so any talk of it is moot. There is not a single situation I can think of that would actually be a viable and considerable trade offer that I can think of other than: Sash or Tryon as the author mentioned. However, having been reading this blog for years I know someone in a short time be on suggesting we either make a trade that A. No nfl GM, even of the most desperate nature would truly offer. or B. Jerry Reese would laugh at if offered.

As much as Osi hasn’t been producing this year he is a ticking time bomb in a good away. Also, those of you suggesting ojomo/adrian tracy right now are better options than osi are dead wrong. The only one that could be is kiwi but his role as joker/olb is too valuable to adjust midseason, that no a trade for osi would require too rich an offer that it is not even worth talking about.

Oh and by the way don’t get me started on tuck who hasn’t been having as bad as a year as some on here have suggested!

They both need to play better obviously, BUT we all know those 2 suddenly wake up for those big games and playoffs runs and provided they do that the giants will live with them because that influences their value exponentially

2.  Since 1963 says:

I’m no genius, but I’ve got a deal they might consider making. Seattle is practically having to drag Puget Sound for someone to play WR. Why not ship them Jernigan for a low-round pick? I don’t know that the Seahawks will bite–they probably want someone with more experience–but it’s worth a try, no?

The advantages to the Giants are (1) clearing a roster spot; (2) getting something back for Jernigan, who, I suspect, will only be waived anyway, eventually; and (3) replacing, more or less, the draft pick it cost to get Keith Rivers.

At this point, Jernigan can’t get on the field. if another WR gets hurt, we have David Douglas on the practice squad.

Reese loves a bargain, so nothing would surprise me. However I absolutely do not expect us to make any moves.

4. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Going back to the previous article, Beckum was (according to the Giants) a full participant yesterday. Here’s their injury report – he’s not listed.

5.  Chad Eldred says:

Aside from draft day, the NFL just isn’t a heavy trading league. It’s fun to speculate, but usually a few small moves are the only ones that get done. I don’t blame Carolina for trying to rebuild, but they are probably best suited holding onto Smith. They won’t get enough in return to compensate for his talent. Not at his age. And good luck getting rid of DeAngelo Williams with his contract. I’d love to have a guy like him and I’m sure a few other teams would too, but the numbers have to make sense.

•  TonyMW says:

I agree. It’s seems us fans (collectively) get anxious when this time of the season comes around, somehow forgetting nothing ever happens. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we hear nothing although I have a hunch that at least one trade gets done.

6.  TonyMW says:

So I’ve now heard from a couple of separate people that the Giants are looking to trade for Dwayne Bowe. I personally think it’s a bunch of bs, and there is pretty close to 0% chance of that happening, but hey, it’s fun to speculate.

Yeah, Nicks (that bum who can’t stay healthy) straight up for Bowe. Or maybe Osi and a low draft pick? How about David Carr plus a #4 pick?

Sounds kinda crazy … unless they think they’re not signing Nicks … and I highly doubt that sort of decision has been made at this stage of the game.

But damn … I’d love to see opposing defense coordinators heads exploding trying to figure those 3 guys out.

7.  TonyMW says:

Haha….how about Barden and a 5th?? I swear, I hear people constantly that actually think guys like Barden, Jernigan and Herzlich have some sort of trade value. Shocking. Like I said, still fun to speculate though.

•  Chad Eldred says:

If Herzlich was on another roster, wouldn’t we actually be the logical choice to trade FOR him?

•  TonyMW says:

Anything is possible, I’ve actually seen people on other forums/blogs suggest asking a 3rd for Herzlich. I guess everyone has some sort of value on them, but I couldn’t possible see anyone getting anything more than a conditional low 2013 pick for someone like Herzlich. Still very unlikely though.

• No way. Just, no way. Jernigan is not worth anything. Herz worth a 6th (at absolute best). Come on, guys. Get real here.

Guys need to have played to have value. They need to have put stuff on tape. Barden’s put stuff on tape. Tryon has put stuff on tape. Even Sash.

If someone were to go, my bet would be a defensive back since they’ll need a spot for Hill soon anyway.

•  TonyMW says:

I’m somewhat confused. Your line “Come on, guys. Get real here.” seems to insinuate that we’re suggesting these guys have a trade value? I was actually ridiculing those who thought that.

8.  Begiant says:

tryon or Sash for a 7th or future 7th, these are the only possible trades I would want.

I like Barden for this year and any other player is just depth we might need (like Deihl)

9. –Let me start off with the disclaimer THAT I IN NO WAY BROUGHT THIS UP OR SUGGESTED IT…but since someone mentioned Osi, I might be inclined to listen if they were offering a 2 or a 3. Adrian Tracy as the fourth DE in the rotation is not that bad; not much different than Tollefson in that role. Osi still worth more to the team as a member than a future draft pick, but I’d listen.

–Secondly, while Jernigan has absolutely no trade value to anybody (and might not even get claimed if we cut him), don’t kid yourselves into thinking Barden doesn’t. It might not be a lot, but he’s put enough on tape to show that with his size and skills, coming into the prime of his career, he could be worth something. He’s most certainly worth more to the Giants as a member of the team than a 4th or 5th round pick in this year’s draft (same with Osi), he does have value.

– There is, absolutely positively, no way the Giants trade for Dwayne Bowe. Unless Nicks got hurt yesterday and they are not telling us, there’s no way we’re trading for Bowe.

• And let me add, I think it’s a lot more likely that Reese is a buyer not a seller. We’ve got a good team here; we’re not building for the future.

Reese is going to see if he can spend a 4th or 5th like he did on Rivers and get someone who can help down the stretch. Or in the future.

He tried to replace Petrus once, don’t think if an obvious upgrade came along for a conditional 6th or 7th round pick he wouldn’t do it again. Or if a team has a firesale and a veteran CB who they think is an upgrade over Tryon is cheap that he won’t pull the trigger. Maybe even help at RB now that Scott is down. A lot more opportunities to buy (IF THE RIGHT DEAL COMES ALONG) than sell.

•  Begiant says:

I agree on all points. I assume Tracy would be the 4th DE because Kiwi would play the role of 3rd DE?

well…except that someone would give a fourth or fifth for Barden. If somone offered a 4th for Barden I would do it. We would still have 4 receivers ahead of him (Randle has been getting snaps) and Jernigan has been in the system. We also have some guys on PS.

I was kidding about trading Nicks. Shocked if anyone took that seriously. I might trade him for Megatron or Fitz, but that’s it, end of story.

Osi has too much value this year (we have a real shot at repeating, and he has some good football left in him) to trade him. Better to get his talent NOW and worry about next season next season.

Barden is an outright JAG. I don’t care about his height. Any team interested will figure he’ll be a man without a team after this season and they can always grab him then as their #5 receiver. No one is trading spit for this guy.

I would NOT trade Jernigan (possibly a good backup slot receiver) for a very low draft pick. Offer me a fourth round pick and he’s yours. Otherwise I keep him.

Tracy “isn’t much different than Tollefson”? C’mon, he’s already shown he’s better and he’s just getting started. And by the way, I ranted about Tollefson for years and got told I was wrong. Now that he’s playing regularly in the league what is his productivity? Yeah, I thought so. You could have found street free agents who could have done what he did on the Giants because he was always coming in when Strahan, Tuck, Osi and JPP had exhausted their opposing lineman so they were at least a step slow. The guy is a JAG and was never more than that. Tracy could be significantly more and in any case will prove far better than Tolley even if he winds up as just a “more advanced JAG”.

•  Begiant says:

I disagree about Barden. I think he is a fine fourth receiver. He did have a 100 yard receiving game, albeit against the Panthers. I think he does not have much value but I would resign him for vet min if we do not draft a high round receiver. My main problem with Barden is that he does not play special teams

•  TonyMW says:

I see absolutely no way we’d EVER get a 4th or 5th for Barden. That’s absolutely f’n crazy. If we get offered a 4th for Barden, I’ll buy his plane ticket.

10.  norm says:

“The one thing Ernie taught me, if he didn’t teach me anything else, is that you’ve got to give guys a chance to fail.”

-Jerry Reese

This quote should be emblazoned in big bold letters along the masthead of this site. It may not be aesthetically pleasing but if it succeeds in cutting down the number of “dump [Jernigan, Austin, or the next young, unproven player who does not produce anything of note in their first two years]” posts, it will be well worth it.

•  Begiant says:

I agree…I find it astounding that people are already saying we should get rid of Jernigan.

•  TonyMW says:

He may still have a place on this team, but I think the people that DO feel that way are the same people who can’t get Sinorice Moss out of their brains. I’m not a proponent of dumping someone until they’ve actually gotten a chance and still prove to be worthless.