October 22nd, 2012 at 8:45 AM

The Washington Redskins had Eli Manning dead to rights on Sunday afternoon. He was getting hit, sailing the ball, making uncharacteristically poor decisions at times and tossed two very bad interceptions. But once again, the New York Giants quarterback rallied his team late in the fourth quarter and dropped a perfectly thrown pass into the arms of wide receiver Victor Cruz, who took it to the house for the go-ahead score. It was a play that left former Big Blue defensive tackle Barry Cofield in awe.

"Eli is like Joe Montana right now," Cofield said. "When I was here, he was good, showing flashes. [But] he’s exceptional right now. He’s got nerves of steel. To beat this team you are gonna have to bury him, then you have to put the dirt on top of him and then put the cement on top of him and then watch it dry. Anything short of that they are still in the game.”

That's especially high praise from Cofield, who seemed bitter towards the Giants after he was allowed to walk via free agency in 2011. But after yet another magical fourth quarter comeback courtesy of Easy-E, it has to be hard for an opponent to do anything other than tip their cap, shake their head and accept what has just happened.

Alas, the praise was a two-way street. As impressed as the Redskins were with Eli, the Giants defense was equally impressed with Robert Griffin III. And rightfully so.

"I’m pretty mad at the football gods for putting him in the NFC East. To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache," Justin Tuck said. "A guy like him, I don’t think there is anybody in the league just like him. If I was going to run that offense and they asked me to pick between Vick, Cam Newton, and RGIII, I’m probably taking that guy."

Love the Redskins or hate the Redskins, they've found a gem in RG3 as the Giants did with Eli. And for the next several years, it's going to be both a blessing and a curse to watch these two battle it out.

photo credit: Kenyon's Travel via photo pin cc

Tags: Barry Cofield, Eli Manning, Football, Joe Montana, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz, Washington, Washington Redskins

25 Responses to “Washington Redskins’ Barry Cofield on New York Giants’ Eli Manning: “He’s Like Joe Montana””

1.  jfunk says:

Re: Griffin.

There are two pretty vocal groups out there that I disagree with on him. First, those who have already decided he’s the next great QB. Krow is right, we have to see him do it in a sustainable non-gimmick offense before we know for sure.

On the other hand, those dismissing him as the “next Vick” are not seeing the forest for the trees in my opinion. Just going by what I see with my own eyes when I watch, the kid is already a better quarterback than Vick has EVER been (barring that brief stretch of 2010 where it appeared there was nothing he couldn’t do). This guy is intelligent, and CAN deliver a strike from the pocket. Just because he can run and does so a lot now while he’s still learning doesn’t make him Michael Vick. Steve Young could run too (and also ran too much early).

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I THINK Griffin has “it”. I THINK he’s going to be very very good. I’m not guaranteeing anything, we obviously have to actually see him do it before we’ll know, but right now I don’t see many reasons to doubt him beyond that standard low % chance of great NFL success in general.

•  kujo says:

No one is calling him “the next great QB.” That’s the sort of strawman bullsh*t that Krow and others are spreading. Griffin is going to be an excellent player in this league. Will he be “elite?” No, probably not–that status is reserved for players who do their work in and around the pocket. But will he help his team win football games, and perhaps lead them to a title? Absolutely–he’s a gifted athlete who is also a very smart young man driven by the sort of unique regemented mentality you see in military families. He’s not going to be Vick or Newton, who get by on athleticism instead of hard work. It’s not in this kid to be that guy. And as someone said earlier, he’s 1 big receiver away from making real hay in this division. Saying he’s a gimmick is retarded–he’s an athlete doing his thing. And that thing was a c-nt’s hair away from being enough to defeat the defending Super Bowl champions yesterday. Give the kid his due.

Seriously? Are you missing the media storm swirling around this guy? No one is calling him the ‘next great QB’? No one?

Speaking of ‘strawmen’ … no one … especially ME … is saying ‘HE’S’ a gimmick. I’m saying he runs a gimmick offense.

•  kujo says:

I don’t have cable. So yeah, I am missing the storm you speak of. But if you’re surprised by the media prematurely jumping onto a bandwagon before it even exists, I’ve got some land down here in Orlando you might be interested in.

No cable? Is that even possible? We could do a reality TV show. “Here comes no cable kujo” or something like that. You’ll be famous.

I think you are short selling Newton. Maybe you meant Vick and Viince Young. Cam’s issue isn’t working hard. Playing the QB position is hard. Maybe he doesn’t read defenses well but it’s not due to working hard. It’s possible Cam won’t succeed but it won’t be lack of effort.

The offense is a gimmick so I understand why people confuse that with him as the player. RG3 played well yesterday but if our QB played like his usual self we win this game was cushion. Cam did beat people in a similar fashion last year. I think RG3 does have accuracy and that will help him be a good QB in any system.

•  G-MenFan says:

Peter King of SI has chapped lips from bobbing on RG3′s knob in public. It’s embarrassing.

That said, the kid is really REALLY good already. If he doesn’t suffer too much damage running the ball, I’m afraid of what he’ll be by 2014. Hell, I’m already afraid of what he’ll be by December.

2.  wrdag says:

Another good game from the Prince ! ??
    Hard to tell but it seems like teams are not throwing his way and would rather attack Webster. Granted he gets the second best receiver but it’s been several games now and the opposition has not really targeted Prince as a weakness. Pretty good turnaround in a short period of time.
    If I was breaking down our defense the big weakness is first our LBs in the running game. Get to the second level and they get washed out quite easily. All three are guilty but Blackburn in the middle needs to get better.
    Second I take advantage of our DE biting to hard into the middle without keeping outside containment. JPP sometimes gets away with this based on his speed but we get caught at this quite often.
    The overall good news is these weaknesses make teams scheme us to run the ball more and it slows the game down and keeps the big play designs to a minimum. Plus with our rush potential your less likely to run double move routes that take long to develope. Run the ball against us and go with a short passing attack. Long drives with plenty of 3rd down conversions. A wet dream for Perry F.
    Quick side note on yesterday but we looked confused pre-snap for most of the game. Lots of calls and guys out of place. We seem to play better when things are far simpler.

Prince is really coming into his own. It’s especially stark in contrast to Webster who is not having a good year.

3.  Starks in Tampa says:

My .02 cents on this game. I was not posting much this past week because although I was thinking the G-MEN would come out on top I knew it was going to be tough. When reading my comments on this win please remember what some of the Giant defenders had to say after the game “They were running stuff out there that we have never seen before, never seen on tape”….with that said here we go.

1-First with Eli, not a great game but that first interception was not totally on him, Marty B broke his route and stopped running. The second Int was totally on Eli but hey that happens you cant expect a QB to not throw picks in this league, it happens to the best of them and Eli is certainly one of the best in the league.

2 – KUDOS to Fewell. YES I am giving him and the defense MAJOR props! Think about what the defenders have said” They did stuff out there we have never seen” At the same time great gameplan by Mike Shannahan and great adjustmentsby Fewell and the boys in the Second half. This is why I think with more tape of RG3, Defenses will get a better read on him and this redskins offense and even though we are all slobbering over RG3 this week, I will venture to say that the defenses will start to catch up with him and the offense sooner or later. You can only run these BS option reads, college offenses for so long until these fast and very smart NFL defenses learn to play it right. Now with that said, RG3 is a very good QB that will give ANY defense fits but again give me your Manning’s Rodgers, Brady, any day of the week as opposed to a QB like RG3.

3 – To piggy back on my last statement, Mike Shannahan and his son have to be really creative each and every week with this type of offense, and maybe they can do it, maybe they cant, but we will see. I have my doubts. Again nothing taken away from RG3, he is a tremendous talent, but option offenses do not work in the NFL and for good reasons.

4 – Really awful job by the offensive coaching ALMOST costing us ANOTHER game, (See Philly game this year)….seriously i know Gilbride and the offense have the mentality that we will step pn your throats via the air no matter what but at what point do you have to be smart and not give the opposing teams more chances?????? (See Barden vs Philly when we had the ball at the 26 yard line)….again, the play calling late in the game is awful, once again. Whether that is Glbride or Eli audibling, I dont know but it needs to get better.

5 – Any Giant fan that is not happy about the win yesterday is kidding themselves. This was a veyr tough Redskins team and we won it late. Very happy about to be 5-2. You can not win every game in a blow out. The other teams want to win as bad as we(Giants) do so every win whether its ugly or pretty is a win and thats that! Are there things to be improved sure thing but make no mistake, last night was a great game for the Giants to come away with and if you want to be an 11 or 12 win team you have to get wins like these.

Im so pumped right now!

Yeah, it was a much bigger win then we’re giving them credit for. Clearly the Skins were up for it. And we were coming off an inspirational butt whipping of the Whiners. So you knew we’d suffer a bit of a downer. Yet they hung in despite not playing particularly well … survived a trick offense … and nailed a W on the door. Enjoy it.

•  kujo says:

I do agree with you, though. These are the game we’ve lost in the past. Not having done so is a good sign.

No let’s do it again next Sunday and get healthy in the BYE week!

If you think of all the ups and downs over the years … we’re due for an UP next week. I’m predicting a righteous tail whipping of the Cowbags.

I was just going to post the same thing. This is a game we managed win when in the past we have lost. Winning these types of games is how you end up wiining lots of games.

Win Sunday and we are in control of the of the division and the 2 seed.

Let’s hope Aaron Rogers cools off before we play them. That boy is on fire right now.

Jfunk agree with all you have said

RG3 proved to be tougher to stop than I though because their gimmick offense has yet to be figured out. But I think even this offense gets figured out (it will) when RG3 plays a more conventional style offense he does have accuracy and intelligence. Those along with his athleticism still don’t guarantee greatness but should produce at least a Romo quality QB with the ability to be be Aaron Rodgers like.

I also think the assemement of Eli yesterday was dead on. I think we are over protective of Eli. I think see what’s so hard to admit that for Eli he played badly yesterday. But when the chips were down he came through. It’s like the super star basketball player that’s 6-21 but hits 2 clutch shots to give you the lead then seal the win. I still have the utmost confidence in Eli. I told the many Redskin fans around me that with 1:33 left and 3 TOs that they better hope for OT. That’s what makes Eli special is he can make some of the worse plays and then come back like nothing has happened and make a great throw.

This is also a good indication of how unflappable Eli is. Nothing bothers him. Nothing unnerves him. He made some mistakes … had a really off day. Yet with a minute to go he hits the perfect pass … a split second before being leveled … and we win. No sulking. No head-hanging. No ‘poor me’. He just laces that ball and sticks the dagger. Damned amazing.

8.  Valid says:

Krow -

I wish I could agree with you about the Dallas game, but I just don’t see it that way. I feel the same way about this game that many of you felt about the Philadelphia game a few weeks back.

The Cowboys are going to be fighting for their lives in Jerry World, and the fact that the Giants are the team they are fighting for their lives against isn’t going to pump them up even more.

Now I believe the Giants are clearly the superior team and they always play well in Dallas (haven’t lost there since 2008), but this game scares me. A lot.

•  Valid says:

* That should have read DON’T THINK FOR A SECOND that the fact that they are fighting for their lives against the Giants isn’t going to pump them up more.

9.  GIANTT says:

Im not going to apologize for my unabashed (some say I should have been bashed but …) optimism pregame that the Giants would win in a big way .
    My first question was going to be how was the wind b/c it seemed that a couple of passes both ways seemed to sail a little . FF55y so far was the only comment I read that the wind was a factor . Im impressed by RG111 s speed but I think eventually the right defense is going to cause him problems and rather than get him hurt the Redskins will have to go to a more conventional game plan and use the option only on occasion to preserve him from some nasty hits .
    But I have to say that picking Eli as a better QB in the end has stood the test . As averagely (yeah , I know its not a real word but it fits ) as Eli threw for 58 Minutes there is nobody I repeat nobody as good as Eli in the last 2 minutes and this week was another brick for that wall. I have a theory .
    I think it was Valid back on last weeks game who was complaining about Eli throwing when the Giants perhaps should have been running and I thought that Eli plays and throws better when he is under pressure and the likelihood of him making a play on a what would be a very low percentage play for most QBs is actually better .
    My 2 plays in point ? two words Tyree and Manningham . both very low percentage plays but Eli seems to concentrate more and find a play to make that if it was drawn up would have not gotten out of the gate . Maybe Tyrees catch was more serendipitous and needed EVERYTHING to work perfectly after Eli escaped the rush but again the throw was in exactly the right place for an up to then average receiver .
    Belichick said double Nicks and Cruz and let Manningham beat us . Well Eli must have seen his talent in practice and put it in the ONE place Manningham COULD catch it in bounds and also not have it knocked away . That wasnt luck that was Eli earning his 100 mill contract or whatever it is with the pressure on him .Im listening to the argument Eli or Peyton – well RIGHT NOW its Eli for me
    I say that RG111 is going to win games for the Redskins this year but as has been said , the defenses will eventually will catch up . As they did with Vick and McNabb and a few years ago Randall Cunningham . I know RG111 is faster but he is one guy and the talent around him has to be able to do the job also . I think the Redskins are the 2nd team in the NFC East and the Giants showed who is top dog

•  Valid says:

I don’t recall complaining about passing the ball last week at all. Probably have me confused with someone else. lol.

•  F0XLIN says:

It was breezy in the stadium but I wouldn’t call it windy by any means. Eli has throwing a far better ball in windier conditions

10.  Valid says:

I also think it’s fairly safe to say that Santana Moss is a Giant killer. I can’t think of another receiver in this league who terrorizes the G-Men more than him. Not even Steve Smith.