New York Giants’ Chris Canty “Feels Great” After First Action of the Season

October 22nd, 2012 at 7:30 AM
By Casey Sherman

The New York Giants welcomed back an integral part of the defensive line for Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins. Defensive tackle Chris Canty had to sit out the first six games while he was on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, recovering from offseason knee surgery. But even in limited action, Canty says his body "feels great."

The timing of his return couldn't have been more perfect as the Giants took on the most dangerous quarterback with his legs in Robert Griffin III. Though Canty didn't record a sack, his presence helped Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora get to the rookie quarterback.

Initially, the coaching staff was hesitant to rush Canty back into the DT rotation, especially after practicing only three times. However, they opted to work him back into the swing of things slowly and he played between twenty to thirty snaps … as planned.

"That was what the plan was and they stuck to the plan," Canty said. "Believe me, against my own will, they stuck to the plan."

Canty practiced for the first time on Wednesday and didn't find out until Saturday that he was playing. As expected, he was ecstatic to hear the news and said he felt good physically while playing.

"My body feels great," Canty said. "Obviously they want to limit my play count because they want me to continue to feel good. But I feel great."

Canty has proven to be an important piece to the Giants' defensive front. The unit as a whole is more productive when he is healthy. After a slow start to the season, the Giants' front four is becoming increasingly more productive and it should continue improving as Canty works towards playing at full speed again.

"To be honest, [the toughest part was] just getting back into my groove. I hadn’t hit anybody since the Super Bowl. I'm going out there and hitting people making sure I can tackle."

Tags: Chris Canty, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Robert Griffin III, Washington, Washington Redskins

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ Chris Canty “Feels Great” After First Action of the Season”

1.  PittJim says:

Was anyone as baffled, then ANGRY as I was yday when on 3rd & 1 Eli threw the ball from deep in our end….? While we needed to run the clock down….
    Even Troy Aikman was incredulous.

BAD playcalling yesterday all around, I thought.

Luck to win.

ps The ‘skins defense is decimated & we almost blew it. Yeesh

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It was equal luck the Skins weren’t blown out on a few near misses by the Giants, so that’s a scratch.

But yes, the play-calling wasn’t great, but also kudos the Skins who were well prepared and had a hell of a game-plan themselves.

The better team won on Sunday, but the Redskins are going to be damn good for a long time, unfortunately.

2.  PittJim says:

PPS Sorry. Forgot this.

The REASON Ahmad was so fired up & ticked was b/c of Cruz NOT blocking outside for him on that nice gainer. Cruz was basically salsa dancing (yes) with the DB who was covering him once Ahmad broke outside. #44 was angry b/c that could have been a long TD around the corner. He was so infuriated TC had to tell him to chill!

Pretty funny.
    Love the passion.

3.  F0XLIN says:

They had that marked at 3rd and 2 at the stadium but looked a lot shorter than that to me. One could argue if Eli makes the throw it’s a great play call to get the first down, but he didn’t, tough to judge looking back. Redskins were playing the run, Nicks was open and I’m sure Coughlin wanted no part of putting the ball back in Griffins hands.

Down the stretch they did a lot to almost blow the game but once again Eli saves they day. What an incredible throw.

4.  JimStoll says:

Morning after:

Skins look to be the competition for the future. Wait until they add a couple of legit wide receivers.
    It’s been said many times, but some real questionable calls late.
    Throwing on 3d and 1 in the 4th; throwing on 1st down immediately following the RGIII fumble; the back shoulder throw to attempt to convert. We got away with it, and of course if any one of those three plays works there is no conversation; but each of them seemed like the low percentage choice at the time.

I saw the debate earlier, but it really does look like Andre Brown is the “better” runner than Bradshaw. Braddie is all guts and intensity; but Brown looks so much smoother, seems to have much better vision; seems to know how to use his blockers. Braddie is not bad, but Brown does look better.

It seems every year we have 1 player who we are dying to see hit the field and he just doesn’t; this year that is wilson. We’ve seen the flashes of speed; we know he’s explosive. What I find a little hard to understand is how it is that the coaches believed he was ready to be the No. 2 guy Week 1 against Dallas; now in Week 7, despite several near TD kick returns, and one late garbage time explosive TD run, they can’t figure out a way to get him meaningful snaps.

Holesly got owned several times yesterday. Both TD passes to Moss were on him. He’s a rookie and you have to expect it; but we saw yesterday that there is always bad to go with the good.

The pass rush is coming back which is great to see. If RG were a tenth or two slower, we probably rack up 6+ sacks. But good to see that aspect of the team returning.

Then of course, there is always Eli; and pretty soon we are all going to say there is always Victor Cruz. The comparisons with Jerry Rice are going to start in earnest very soon. If only Nicks could get fully healthy.

And how about Bennett. 2 weeks ago against Cleveland he hyperextends his knee early and the dude doesn’t miss a beat and comes up with a number of big receptions.

A critical good win. 5-2 heading down to Dallas. Another key divisional match-up; a win and we really are in control.

5.  jfunk says:

The Giants do that all the time (go deep on 3rd & short). Don’t know whether it was the play call or Eli made the decision. Either way, get used to it. Just like they were throwing deep against the Eagles, this team is ultra-aggressive on offense and that isn’t going to change.

That’s why the ball wasn’t run much in general yesterday. The Skins secondary is complete trash so the whole game plan was to let our future Hall of Famer do what he does.

Eli played very poorly yesterday. Thankfully, he’s Easy E so it didn’t matter and he made his best throw of the day when the game was on the line. But he WAS the primary culprit yesterday. I don’t love him any less and I don’t want us to get conservative out of fear he might have a bad game, but make no mistake he almost let the team down. They walked into that stadium saying “Eli, this is your day. Win the game for us” and he nearly spit the bit.

•  JimStoll says:

Yeah, he played poorly for him
      not bad for most QB’s; but below Eli’s standard
      But as you say, always unflappable

as far as our O being ultra-aggressive; that’s true but sometimes one has to be sensible

at least we get to discuss it with a W in the background

•  jfunk says:

I understand the sentiment, but it just can’t work that way. You can’t like being ultra-aggressive, except when it doesn’t work. That’s the price you pay for being wide open. We have the best in the business at QB and we give him full reign at the line of scrimmage. He’s a gunslinger and will take the shot almost every single time he sees it before the snap regardless of the play call.

Love him or hate him, that’s our boy. His being “unflappable” is also why he’ll keep doing it over and over and over again even when he’s clearly having a bad day (and how many times has that paid off beautifully for us).

You gotta take the good with the bad. I think Eli has been far more good than bad for us, so I’m not going to go suggesting Kevin Gilbride try to reign him in. Eli KNOWS sometimes it’s wiser to take 2 yards than go for 20. He makes that decision a lot too…it’s just that it goes for the 20 much more often. I’m OK with that.

6.  wrdag says:

There is no doubt that RG3 was very impressive, he not only has great wheels but has a very accurate arm. He will be an issue for years to come. However, I thought I saw the blueprint in the second half to give him issues. He looked good yesterday when they were getting so many yards off of first down with their backs. I think teams will sell out versus the run early like we began in the second half. Granted you risk RG making a big run on the option but this slowed them down. Like most of these young guys get them in 2nd n 3rd long and they will struggle. At times you could see in obvious passing downs he has two reads at best and he pulls it down to run. The other advantage versus NYG is we have a poor MLB versus the run. I think most teams have tackling machines at MLB and defend their running game better and his option scrambles. Let’s see what happens when like Cam Newton, defenses scheme to keep in the pocket. Of course if you can get him in 3rd n long situations I doubt most teams will be insane enough to rush just 3 guys.

7.  PittJim says:

Agree with you all….

Thnk for a second how lucky we are to have Eli.
    Not just for ydays win, but overall….

Vick in “01, Young in ’05, Newton in ’11……..
    All superior arthletes who can run & throw.

NONE of them will own a ring when it’s said & done.
    Jaworski just said on ESPN WHY that won’t hold true for RG3.

I disagree. He will get his bell rung a few times (once already) & have to
    become a true pocket passer. I think he may have a better touch on the ball
    than those others, but his size and eventual pounding will wear him down….

Like I said…Thank You Mr Accorsi.
    PJ

Well I guess I’m an RG3 hater … which by definition is anyone not participating in the league-wide suckfest. But until I see him operate out of a pro set … with a pro offense … making pro decisions then I’m not ready to boost him on top of that golden pedestal everyone has him measured for.

I’m not saying he can’t become a great NFL QB. I’m not saying he won’t either. But as long as he’s running this simplified college offense … as long as he’s scrambling around … as long as he’s making as many plays with his feet as his arm … and until he’s taking a lot of snap under center … then the jury is still out.