October 22nd, 2012 at 10:30 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

The New York Giants walked a high wire act yesterday, giving up what looked like a game-winning touchdown to Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III and Santana Moss with 1:32 left in the game…only to see Eli Manning erase memories of his spotty day with a game-saving 77-yard touchdown to Victor Cruz.

We know we aren't the only ones who had a pit in our stomach when Griffin dodged Jason Pierre-Paul to miraculously extend his touchdown drive on 4th-and-10…and that means we weren't the only ones whose stomach pits turned into bowling balls when the ball settled into Moss' hands in the end zone.

While we're trying to hold onto the euphoria that exploded as Cruz exploded toward the end zone, trying to remind ourselves that a "W" is a "W" any way you look at it, we can't exactly shake that feeling of impending loss that the Griffin inflicted on us late in that game.

Don't think Griffin was good enough to beat the Giants yesterday? Well, then you probably disagree with Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who called him "flat-out brilliant," or fellow DE Justin Tuck, who was angry at the "football Gods" for putting Griffin in the NFC East. Pretty effusive praise for a rookie…but Griffin showed yesterday he isn't your average rookie.

Laying here on the couch at Giants101.com's Brooklyn HQ this morning, the memories that run through our head of yesterday include Alfred Morris carrying tacklers for an extra few yards on nearly every carry, Eli Manning throwing those awful interceptions, Griffin turning the corner on running plays so easily that he averaged 10 yards per carry and finally Griffin dropping a 30-yard beauty into Santana Moss' hands with 1:32 left to play. It felt like a nail in the coffin at the time, and that feeling's hard to shake.

Hard to have memories of a game like that when it was actually a game our team won.

That's not to say the Giants were awful yesterday, or that they got outplayed, or that they deserved to lose. They did a lot of things good besides that game-winning play: the pass rush came alive for the second straight week, the defense caused four turnovers, and the defense also made a successful halftime adjustment to slow down the Morris/Griffin run and play-action game.

Nonetheless, the Giants can rest on the fact that they're 5-2, firmly in first place with a chance to make it even firmer next week against the Dallas Cowboys,

And we'll try to remember all of that as we head into Dallas this week with a 5-2 record that has Big Blue firmly in first place…despite that pit in our stomach, that feeling of defeat and despair that came perilously close to the actualization yesterday.

Meh, we'll get over it by Wednesday. Get ready, Tony Romo.

Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Eli Manning, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFC, NFC East, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Robert Griffin III, Victor Cruz, Washington Redskins

61 Responses to “New York Giants Barely Escape from Washington Redskins & More from Monday Morning Hangover”

1 2 3
  1.  TuckThis says:

RG111 is the real deal. Period. End of story. He will be a thorn in the side of this team for years to come! Could someone please tell me what was going on with Bradshaw. He seemed to be in heated conversations all over the place yesterday.

I was just listening to the WFAN and they broke down the second half defensive performance. 4 TOs forced, 1 punt, a FG when a TO already put washington in FG range and 1 TD. And even that TD we gave up was more RG3 making great plays than our scheme of players messing up. I think that shows that Fewell started to figured this offense out and another matchup vs them I expect a better defense performance. In addition, I think Eli plays better. Their defense still isn’t any good. Even with an average offensive performance we scored 27.

The reason why I felt extremely confident in winning this game is because even if we struggled with RG3, I felt our offense would easily score 30 plus on their defense. We didn’t but the only reason why is that Eli was off yesterday. Even the WRs, Hixon with a drop, Cruz not getting the first down and Nicks not making a difficult on the following play didn’t make up for Eli being off.

4.  Levito says:

Never seen Bradshaw like that yesterday. I’d really like to hear some of the audio of what was going on. He went at it with Jerald Ingram, Coughlin & Cruz, and that’s just what was caught on camera. He channeled his inner Brandon Jacobs, and chances are, whatever Bradshaw was jawing about, he was right. Eli wasn’t playing well for the most part, and the Giants kinda gave up on the running game. They could have made it easier if they stuck with it a bit. The running game also struggled in SF last week, but they stuck with it and it payed dividends in the second half.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Got something on this coming a bit later.

•  kinsho says:

Granted, I felt bad that Bradshaw didn’t see more rushes, but why would you run the ball when your opponent has high-schoolers working the secondary? The whole game plan was predicated on Eli being able read the defense to throw the ball well, neither of which he did too well up until that final pass to Cruz.

5.  jfunk says:

Contrary to what a lot are saying, I didn’t think the scheme changed to fix a whole lot in the second half. I didn’t see our defense “stop” any more of their plays. If anything, I saw a defense that KNEW it couldn’t stop them, so they went with “Plan B”…go for the ball, every time.

I’m not trying to take any credit away from the defense for getting it done. Those weren’t unforced errors…the defense created those turnovers. But I saw no indication that they “figured out” the offense and had any confidence they could simply stop them on down & distance. Quite the opposite. They appeared to concede they couldn’t stop them, so went “turnover or bust” the rest of the game.

Some teams go entire seasons relying on that approach (see recent Packers teams), but I’d rather we not go down that road on a regular basis.

I disagree. In the first half there no negative plays. In the second half we had quite a few negative and very short gain type of plays. That made playing them easier. That JPP play was behind the line of scrimage, we weren’t making that play in the first half. I think we had a better idea of what they were trying to do and the rythym so we were able to better disrupt what they were doing. And that started with stuffing Morris. When Morris is running well it’s nearly impossible to stop RG3. Once we slowed Morris down it was easier to defend RG3.

6.  kinsho says:

I know some fans are disappointed that the Giants didn’t come out and house the Redskins, but this was a pretty damn good game for us, all things considering. The only reason the Redskins were close the entire game was because Eli kept making mistakes that either resulted in interceptions or missed chances to gut a weak secondary.

The defense did an outstanding job pressuring RG3 and forcing a Redskins team known for guarding the football well to choke it up not once, twice, or thrice, but FOUR times. Before the Giants game, I believe the Redskins only had something like seven turnovers for the WHOLE season. Not to mention three sacks on RG3 is all the more impressive considering he’s part cheetah.

The offense did well enough to win the game. Despite all of Eli’s mistakes, our offense was good enough to put points on the board and make the clutch plays when it mattered. We should be thankful that on a rare day when Eli wasn’t playing up to an elite level, our team was still good enough to pull out a win against an up-and-coming team.

I see Eli having a field day next week against the Cowboys. In fact, I see the entire team having a good day next week in order to avenge that first-week loss.

•  Levito says:

Don’t sleep on the Cowboys secondary. They’re a pretty lousy team, but they have the pieces in the secondary to keep the passing game at bay. No excuses not to be all over their offense though.

The Cowboy CBs are much better. We can pass the ball on anyone but Eli will have to be much sharper.

This kid is a gamer – He’s a baller, he’s a play maker and a shot caller.

Well, before turning the page and focusing on Dallas, which the team is doing as we speak, I am going to point out a few things about yesterday.

First, at least one of us had warned all last week that RGIII is no flash-in-the-pan and is a very dangerous opponent, that the only way to control the Skins’ offense was to shut down Morris and make them one-dimensional, and that the middle of the defense would have to play a very good game.

Yesterday’s game was a story of two halves. In the first half we did NOT shut down Morris, the middle of the defense played poorly, and Chase Blackburn took a step in every single time RGIII faked a hand-off to Morris, allowing for an easy completion to the tight end over the middle just about every time. We were extremely lucky to come out of the half tied after our defense was pushed all over the field. In the second half the defensive front played extremely well, Blackburn did a better job of not falling for the fake every time, and that little option pass was not nearly as open, which gave the pass rush more time to get to the quarterback. Those were excellent adjustments by the coaches and the players, and those adjustments probably saved the game.

Having said that, in the end we won the game because we made one more play than they did, because we have a quarterback rapidly ascending to the Olympian heights of the Montana and Unitas level as a killer who will “get” you in the end even if he has not had a great game (I saw Unitas and Montana play many times, and they. too, had poor or mediocre games that ended in unearthly plays when the game was on the line that left opponents shaking their heads in wonder and with the greatest of respect), and because we have a team that Tom Coughlin has inculcated with a devotion to each other and a complete unwillingness to quit.

I was right to be concerned about this game going in. I was pretty much on the mark as to what the keys were. And I’m right about this, too: this was a truly great win against a very good opponent that was extremely well-prepared, came in with a great game plan, threw things at us that had never been seen on film, and got a number of wondrous plays from quarterback who is special.

I stood very lonely for a number of years insisting that Eli Manning was going to be a great quarterback even when he looked pretty bad early in his career, because I saw the tools and the character. Many of you, if you’re honest, know you were among the hordes ready to run him out of New York. Well, sorry as I am about it, RGIII and Andrew Luck are both going to be great quarterbacks. They’re different. And sure, RGIII will not be able to keep running like this forever. He’ll get hurt at some point and they’ll view things differently. But in my view he is Tony Romo with character and a lot more speed. Andrew Luck is John Elway. If I had to take one it would be Luck, but anyone still insisting Griffen isn’t going to be really special is whistling in the wind. Thankfully, the New York Giants are holding the ace of spades because under center we have the best player in the NFL and the best quarterback among a lot of really terrific ones.

Eli Manning is literally EVERYTHING you would want in a quarterback, in a leader of men, in the personification of his team. Any of you who aren’t enjoying this as we experience it is really missing something. That game yesterday was operatic in its swings of emotion and dominance, but in the end it was Eli who stepped up and delivered the aria that brought the crowd to their feet for a well-deserved standing ovation.

I don’t know what it was like watching on TV, but at the stadium it was one of the most draining, dramatic games I can remember. I think most people there were gobsmacked by the rapid transitions from doubt, to disgust, to belief, to despair, to euphoria and left the stadium almost totally drained. I don’t know how the players got out of bed this morning. We can all clinically analyze it in retrospect, but this was a game where you “had to be there”. It was the highest form of drama and one of the best examples of why NFL football can touch you in places that are really, really, deep.

•  TuckThis says:

With the exception of a few, most of us here knew and had it confirmed that RG111 will haunt the Giants for years. The Skins have a legit QB and a legit coach who has the Giants number and what looks to be a legit running back. The Skins will compete with the Giants for years to come.

I don’t know about that. I saw a lot of “we should kill these guys” on this site last week. I also saw a lot of “RGIII ain’t nothing special” too. Both arguments were sadly mistaken.

By the way, comparing Griffen to Vick and Newton is absurd. Neither of them is a particularly accurate passer. He is VERY accurate. Neither of them has “sterling” character. He does. There are plenty of other huge differences but I won’t belabor the point.

You did express respect for Griffen and did declare worries about the game. I do not think those opinions were all that common.

I think RG3 has all the ability but using this gimmick offense while it makes them much harder to defense presently it hurts RG3 development. He really should be mastering a real pro offense like Luck and Tannelhill are right now. I believe from all his talents that he can do very well in a legit pro offense but he still has to prove he can do it. To me his biggest talent is accuracy. His athleticism is nice as is his intelligence but the ability to put the ball where you want it to go is something not everyone has. That’s why I say he will be at least a Romo level QB and quite possible an Aaron Rodgers type of QB.

But I do think though they might not be as extreme that he will go through struggles just like Cam when defenses adjust to this offense. But he will adjust just like I expect Cam will eventually.

Bad news … Panthers fired their GM.

•  kinsho says:

Won’t fix that scam they have playing QB…..

He has the tools to be a very good QB, but lacks the sort of mental and emotional intelligence you need to elevate your game in the NFL. Almost seems Vince Young-ish….

No, but it could cost us Marc Ross.

•  G-MenFan says:

That would truly suck.

Unless his replacement was an expert on college O-linemen. Then it wouldn’t suck as bad.

•  Valid says:

In fairness, I think Newton is far more talented than Young. Young had a noodle for an arm.

•  TuckThis says:

And you know this how? Is that wishful thinking. He looked very mentally and emotionally intelligent to me when he evaded the Giants defense on 3 and 14. :-)

I think that’s being too critical. Everyone forgets what was said about Eli. He’s played 22 games. He’s not handling losing well but that doesn’t mean he won’t grow from it and improve.

He’s re-writing the book