New York Giants Activate Chris Canty Off PUP List; Place Da’Rel Scott on IR

October 20th, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The New York Giants had until 4:00 PM EST today to make a decision on defensive tackle Chris Canty, and will mere seconds remaining, the team decided to activate the veteran off of the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. In order to make room for Canty, Big Blue placed running back Da'Rel Scott (knee) on Injured Reserve (IR).

'You The Man' photo (c) 2010, New York City Department of Transportation - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

"He’s in outstanding shape, condition wise. He hasn’t been hit, obviously, but we’ll come up with the right formula," Tom Coughlin said of Canty.

Canty, who underwent knee surgery following Super Bowl XLVI, was upset with the team after being placed on PUP to start the season, but recently acknowledged it was the right decision. Still, neither the team nor #99 have revealed the full nature of his injury or details regarding the surgery.

Meanwhile, for Da'Rel Scott, the team has confirmed his IR designation is of the season-ending variety. Initially, there was speculation that he would be given the opportunity to return based on the new short-term IR rules, but after undergoing knee surgery of his own earlier this week, the team decided to shut him down for the remainder of the season.

Canty is expected to be active on Sunday when the Giants take on the Washington Redskins.

Tags: Chris Canty, Da'Rel Scott, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

17 Responses to “New York Giants Activate Chris Canty Off PUP List; Place Da’Rel Scott on IR”

1.  kujo says:

Be afraid, Bobert III. Be very afraid.

2.  kujo says:

@giantswfan: roar heard throughout NYC area was from @ChrisCanty99 … door has been busted down – man is ready to rock … alfred morris welcome to #NFL

3.  jfunk says:

Flex play: Alex Green, Kendall Wright, or David Wilson (return yardage counts at 20 yards per point)?

I must say, I’m a little worried about Canty playing immediately after not playing football for nearly 9 months. I guess they can work him in with as few snaps as they feel comfortable with though, it’s not like Austin was getting many.

•  GmenMania says:

I think it’s a toss-up between Green and Wright. As much as I love Wilson, Wright is the #2 receiver and is facing the Bills, who to put it bluntly, suck. Green gets all the carries in Green Bay. Tough to choose between the 2, but I would go Green – 15-20 carries is too good to pass up.

4.  rlhjr says:

Go easy Canty and what he will provide for the D-line. His legs are hardly under him. He could very well get hurt again if they are not careful with him.

5. Not very surprising, here. Have to wonder if the Giants are really going to carry 5 DT’s the rest of the way. Perhaps when Canty is fully in the swing of things and Bernard is back, Kuhn or Austin are jettisoned to the PS to make room for Hill.

6.  rlhjr says:

BYU first place in the worst looking field goal attempt EVER contest.

ND QB?…………….Suspect. Two BYU players of note, number 47 and number 21 who the hell are those kids? Cant bring myself to listen to NBC’s broadcast.

7.  rlhjr says:

BYU QB ready to throw a pick 6 soon. Getting gut pressure.

8.  rlhjr says:

Kujo which one is Golic?

9.  rlhjr says:

George Atkinson III, any relation to the Raider safety?

10.  G-MenFan says:

A big game for Perry Fewell today. Scheme-wise, I’m already concerned about some things I’m reading, specifically regarding our pass-rushing ends worried about contain. I believe this is a losing strategy. I don’t want our ends worried about containing RGIII on obvious passing downs. I want them taking the best path the the QB and pressuring him into mistakes and getting sacks. Put a LB spy on Griffin and turn the D-ends loose. Only the down tackles should be concerned with gap discipline and lanes.
    Of course, I’ve never been paid a dime to draw up an NFL defensive game plan.