October 10th, 2012 at 12:00 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin hit the podium for his weekly press conference with anything but a smile on Wednesday. Coming off a huge 41-27 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, he was already looking ahead to a week six matchup with the San Francisco 49ers … and isn't happy that "no one" is giving them a chance.

Alas, before questions about the 49ers could begin, it was once again all about injuries and a tremendously long pre-practice injury report that included some new names and some old ones : Ramses Barden (concussion), Martellus Bennett (knee), Rocky Bernard (quad), Chase Blackburn (hip), Michael Boley (hip), Andre Brown (concussion), David Diehl (knee), Jayron Hosley (hamstring), Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot), Kenny Phillips (knee), Keith Rivers (hamstring), Antrel Rolle (knee) and Corey Webster.

The good news is that Kenny Phillips is scheduled to do some individual work with trainers today to see where he is in his progression. Additionally, Coughlin is "hopeful" that Nicks will be able to practice this week. That actually adds some credibility to what running back Ahmad Bradshaw said on Tuesday, when he said he received a hint that the wide receiver would suit up this weekend.

Meanwhile, Coughlin says Snee, Barden, Boley and Rivers will all practice today. Diehl and Hosley will be limited, while Brown, Blackburn, Bernard and Bennett will sit out.

And now back to your regularly schedule programing…

Coughlin feels again disrespected, especially by some of the 49ers players suggesting they lost a handle on things a year ago. The head coach reminded everyone the Giants "earned everything [they] got last year."

"Nobody gives us a chance to win," Coughlin said. "We’ll see."

He added that the team "works very hard" on the road: "you have to be together as one because there's nobody else there."

And one important key to victory on Sunday will be the ability to slow down tight end Vernon Davis, to which Coughlin says the gameplan is very straight forward.

"There's no trick [to slowing him down]," Coughlin said. "You know what you're getting … you gotta be able to run with him."

Finally, the coach acknowledged that he was aware a suspension for safety Will Hill was forthcoming. He was not caught off guard by it.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Chase Blackburn, Corey Webster, David Diehl, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jayron Hosley, Keith Rivers, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers, Tom Coughlin, Vernon Davis

34 Responses to “Several New York Giants Nearing a Return & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    October 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    +1000

I don’t see much difference in how this game sets up than the Philly game. While SF has played better than Philly this year but NFL is a week to week league and talent wise it’s a similar challenge.

kinsho says:
    October 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    The ‘Any Given Sunday’ is not a good principle to rest your hopes on. Yes, it’s possible that a terrible team can beat one of the best teams in football on any day. For example, the Jets could have upset the Texans this past Monday if they just cut down on the mistakes that were made.

But generally, the odds tend to hold. The teams that are favored to win generally win more than the teams favored to lose.

With that said, though, I do think the Giants have a very real shot of taking out the 49ers, who I consider the best team in football right now. However, considering the revenge factor, the injury situation, and the fact that we are playing on the west coast in a different time zone, the odds are stacked against us.

And yet, we could still pull out a win here. The odds were against us last year too when we were just humiliated by the Redskins on our home turf. Six games later, we were the ones hoisting the Lombardi on our shoulder.

You’re missing my point. The Philly team we played, played their best game of the year (no TOs) vs. us. Philly just played up to it’s talent level and produced a level of competition similar to what I expect out of SF.

You are acting like we didn’t beat this team with everything on the line last year. And we are not the defending champs. The issue is you are underestimating what this team is capable of in a big way.

The injury factor is the only legit concern. We play well on the road and won in the same stadium and timezone last year. You mention revenge and I counter that with disrespect.

•  kinsho says:

‘We are the defending world champs. It seems like any have already forgotten that including many of our fans. And forgotten that our team plays it’s best when written off.’ —-

What did I just say in the last paragraph of the comment that you were responding to? Something about hoisting a certain Lombardi trophy on our shoulders, isn’t that right? So no, I haven’t forgotten. But I’m also a realistic fan. If you think the injury factor is the only legit concern, then you’re not looking at this situation objectively.

•  kinsho says:

Also, the fact that Philly fumbled against every team they played this season except against us says more about the quality of our defense than it does about them.

Stop pretending that Philly was playing at an elite level when we played against them a few weeks ago. They were NOT playing at an elite level and neither were we.

•  norm says:

Repost:

I’m not resting my hopes on the “any given Sunday” principle.

I only referenced it as a reminder that the talent gap between any two teams in the NFL as never as great as it seems.

That’s certainly the case in this game in which I really don’t see much of a gap between these two teams at all.

Simply put, I see the game boiling down to the following:

Elite QB vs. elite defense.

Average QB vs. average defense

(And, yes, for all the hand-wringing over the Giants D, they are squarely in the middle of the pack in points allowed, 3rd down conversions allowed, and most of the other usual metrics. In other words, average)

If Eli and the Giants offense can get a leg up early on the SF D, they win. If SF can prevent that from happening and play their usual game, they win. Maybe the chances of the latter happening are a bit better than the former. But I’m just not seeing the whole “odds stacked against them” scenario that you suggest it is.

•  kinsho says:

Elite QB vs. elite defense.
        Average QB vs. average defense

Convenient oversimplifications. Thank goodness Coughlin sees the game in a more complex light.

Listen, as I said, if the Giants take an early lead, we literally have the game by the balls. But since when have the Giants been known as a team that takes early leads, especially against elite defenses?

•  norm says:

By now, I’d think that most people here would prefer that I limit myself to convenient oversimplifications, considering the long, rambling nature of many of my posts.

Of course it’s an oversimplified analysis – but that’s essentially how I see it. The NFL circa 2012 is a league where the outcomes of games are usually determined by QB play. The Giants have the far better QB and the Niners (right now) have the far better defense. I’m not so awestruck by the greatness of the 49ers D that I’m going to believe that they are a lock to stymie the best QB in the NFL right now. Conversely, I’m not so impressed by the “new, improved Alex Smith” that I believe he could mount a comeback against even an average D like the Giants if it comes down to that.

Bottom line: I’m nowhere near as frightened about this game as you seem to be. I see it as pretty much a toss-up and give only a slight edge to the Niners. I could turn out to be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

2.  demo3356 says:

Been real busy with work and football the last few days so haven’t been able to post much but wanted to pass on a few things
    1) Local radio guy here in Orlando is huge Giants fan and had Vegas guy on talking NFL Betting. They were talking Giants and dude said nobody in the NFL has less of a home field advantage betting wise than the NYG. All 31 other NFL Teams get a bigger bump playing at home than the giants do, while no other team see less of a decrease when going on the road. Another words no team in the NFL is a better road team or worse Home team than the Giants.
    2) Dan Patrick and Peter King were telling a story on the radio yesterday that a front office executive with the Chargers told them that Marty Shottenheimer DIDNT want Eli under any circumstances and wanted the more NFL Ready Rivers. Contrary to popular belief Eli had no problem with the Chargers until he and Archie went to their facility weeks before the draft and nobody met with them for either day they were there. AJ smith and some other guys wanted Eli but Shottenheimer demanded he get Rivers. This was kept hush hush so the Chargers could get max value from Giants. Thought that was interesting
    3) Once again, I’m not liking our chances on Sunday. Like I said earlier, this team like Philly and Dallas hate us and have had this game circled on calender since season ended last year. only difference is unlike Philly and Dallas, SF is a very good team. Add in the fact that outside of Arizona we dont travel out west very well. Its a long season and this is a 10-11 win team, i’m just not sure this week is one of them. The important thing is not to let this week cause anyone to jump off a ledge or write off this team.

I’m surprised this is your take. To me the difference in the Philly and Dallas game is we enter this game as a decided underdog. The general thought that SF is great and we were lucky to beat them last year so this year is pay back works in our favor. I think this game is more similar to NE last year because the climate was very similar to this one going into the game.

•  Levito says:

interesting. Dallas has a terrible home record in the new stadium, I wonder how much that is taken into consideration.

3.  giantsfan says:

Alex Smith is not bad. But his tremendous offensive helps him quite a bit. If we can generate some type of pressure, he’s much less effective down field. But that is of course a BIG IF.

I think our run defense should be able to hold off Gore. We normally have pretty good success against him. He’s more of a between the tackle runner, which isn’t our weakness. Kendall hunter is more dangerous on the edge.

Moss isnt what he used to be. Single man coverage should be good enough to handle him. Vernon Davis needs to be double covered at all times. I think if there is anything we learned from both games last year, it’s that he cannot be singled up. We should be OK with single coverage for Crabtree. Manningham is a little tricky.

Offensively, we won’t be able to run on these guys. Assuming we do not have Nicks, which greatly lowers our chance to beat these guys, we will have to go to the air deep. The short passes will be tightly covered by their speedy backers. Their safeties can be beat. The problem is, our guys NEED to win the battle and come down with the ball. Nicks and Cruz more often than not will win that battle. Don’t expect Barden to win anything unless he’s somehow able to get a free release and runs downfield. Hixon occassionally comes down with it. I think Randle needs to play. He’ll have a better chance than Barden at winning and securing the ball.

Will Wilson play more? I’m not sure. I tend to agree with FF55Y that he’ll be limited due to his limited protection ability. But I hope he does as he gives us a better chance than Bradshaw with these speedy backers.

Tough, tough game. The game hinges on the availability of Nicks and Bennet quite a bit. I think if both plays, we win. Our offense can score on them, as showed by last year’s regular season game. The offense was greatly hindered by the weather in the playoff game. If the weather holds up, we would had won that championship with much more ease.

Having Will Hill to play some on Vernon Davis would have been helpful.

NotoriousOHM Ohm Youngmisuk
    Hakeem Nicks did some running on side and looked good and able to move side to side and backpedal as well. Ran close to 3/4 speed too.

NotoriousOHM Ohm Youngmisuk
    Nicks, Bennett, Rocky, Phillips did light work on side outside. Blackburn and Webster not practicing. Boley, Rivers and Hosley doing work

6.  norm says:

RIP Alex Karras

An all-time gridiron great who I nonetheless will remember mostly as Mongo in “Blazing Saddles.”

7.  Willy Wonka says:

answer to wfan’s contest question is kyle williams if you want to try and call in and win tickets to skins @ giants unfortunately i live in nc

8.  GIANTT says:

I dont like the cross country trip . I think the Giants come in lifeless in games like this but Im hoping it wont be the case .
    Im just hoping Rivers goes I think his speed against Blackburns who isnt practicing will force Alex Smith to be more than a dink and dunk game manager , if thats the case as Ive hoped for in previous games , if the Giants can play even with Sf then I will take Eli over Smith . I also hope the O line retains some confidence that they gained last week . Yeah , I know SF is a better defense but sometimes a little confidence goes a long way and Bradshaw can put up 80-100 yards and not force the Giants to have to throw all the time to go down field .
    Re Alex Karras , I just thought of him as a d-m good player who got himself a gig after football .

9.  Valid says:

I’ll repeat what I said yesterday: if we lose this game, it really isn’t THAT big of a deal. This is one of the games that I’m sure all of us thought would be one of our most likely losses coming into the season. If we WIN, however, I think it absolutely sets off the Giants and will propel them to take control of the NFC in the following weeks.

kinsho,

I’m not pretending. Look you obviously think SF is great. I don’t, it’s really that simple. Yes, they beat 2 teams playing badly, very decisively. I’m not as impressed as you were. If want to really look it they haven’t beat a good team yet. If I’m overrating Philly then you are certainly overrating GB, Det, NYJ and Buf. There’s not a 500 team in the bunch. The only good team they played, they lost to in Minn. I see this game as 2 very good teams playing each other that need to prove they can beat other good teams. Nothing we should be in awe of or need some perfect game to win. They are simply another good opponent like Philly was.