October 3rd, 2012 at 9:10 AM

With one catch totaling four yards over his first four games as a member of the New York Giants, the "NFL-ready" Rueben Randle hasn't done much to dazzle. On Sunday night, during a 19-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Randle had an opportunity to step up and make his presence felt in the absence of Hakeem Nicks, but like the one pass that went his way, he fell short. And during the NBC broadcast, analyst Cris Collinsworth made mention that the Giants have begun to question his work ethic.

“Randle’s work ethic has been questioned a bit with the Giants," Collinsworth said. “They’re hoping that he grows up as he goes along and starts becoming a bit more of a pro.”

Initially dismissed as more nonsensical rambling courtesy of Collinsworth, it now appears his remarks have some merit. In a recent interview with the New York Post, fellow wide receiver Victor Cruz not only engaged in questions about Randle's work ethic, but more or less agreed with exactly what Collinsworth had said.

“Rueben has to understand that this is a business now, it’s not just come out here, lollygag, because you may not be getting as much reps as somebody else, that you shouldn’t be giving as much effort," Victor Cruz told The Post. “He has to understand that each and every day he walks in here he’s a professional and he has to perform no matter what’s being asked of him."

Asked whether or not Randle needs to step up and adjust his attitude, Cruz said "I guess. I guess."

These comments are far from the glowing praise that was initially heaped on the rookie from General Manager Jerry Reese and Director of College Scouting Marc Ross. Each raved about how talented Randle was and how successful he'd ultimately be in this league. But, of course, you have to have the right mentality to achieve success in the NFL and, at least for now, the former LSU standout doesn't appear to have it.

“I tell him little things here and there,” Cruz said, “like, ‘Hey man, you got to just show some energy out there. Act like you want to be here. Act like you want to go out there and continue to play and run routes, because sooner or later your number is going to be called and we’re gonna need you to play.”

On a team full of "we" and "us" guys, Randle is out of place. He's going to need to shape up or he'll find himself not only in the cold tub, but in Tom Coughlin's dog house. And once you're in there, it's very difficult to get out.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, Marc Ross, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Victor Cruz

30 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Tells Teammate Rueben Randle: “Act Like You Want to Be Here””

1.  F0XLIN says:

Repost:
    F0XLIN says:
    October 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    We should find out about Nicks knee today. Assuming BBG source is correct it really depends how severe the tear is and if they choose to repair it or just cut out the torn part. When the meniscus tears it shreds, and after it shreds it’s the scar tissue that causes the pain and swelling ( I have had 3 meniscus tears so I consider myself the local expert)

What Osi did a few years back was to have his repaired, which is a long recovery, I believe 6 months. If it is not severe, you can just have the damaged part cut out and be back to 100% in 2-4 weeks which is what I had done 2 of the 3 times. It really is a quick recovery with no residual effects.

I lean towards the thinking that it is not severe considering he played through the original issue, and only experienced swelling after the fact.

I think Nicks will either play through it ala MM last year, or have a quick clean out procedure done, and will be back on the field in 2-4 weeks.

Agreed on the meniscus tear. Same thing happened to me. My knee swelled up … mysteriously. No impact … just after a basketball game. Easy fix … walking in 3 days … back playing in 3 weeks. Let’s hope it’s that, though I’m sure it’s different for an elite athlete.

Good piece.

But the things is if Nicks is out for a while randle is on the cusp of major playing time already. Neither Hixon or Barden have histories of being durable so unless Jernigan jumps him Randle appear like he will get some heavy playing time at some point in the next few weeks.

I think this shows that unlike Cruz, Randle has been that guy all his life and doesn’t really know how to work while being a backup. You rather have a true professional but I can also see Randle as the type of guy that will practice better and give more effort the more he’s involved. The one issue with our WR corp is there is really no vet. Hixon is still is only 27-28 and he’s the grey beard of the group. With a kid like Randle a Toomer like vet would be helpful. I think he will figure out enough to be successful on his own. But it does worry you he will make mistakes in our complex offense.

It will be interesting to see if he stays ahead of Jernigan if he makes a Wilson like error or two.

3.  F0XLIN says:

I believe this was reported here at G101 first from a inside edition dinner with Gilbride Jr. Sometimes it takes a little time for some rookies to grow up.

Wow, looks like one of our Giants101 posters had a real scoop after all. Who was it who knew people at LSU who said Randle was lazy? Kudos to one of our intrepid reporters. Step up and take a bow.

No way that the Giants are going to depend long term on a kid with that kind of work ethic. They’ll find someone else or just figure they can roll with Hixon for a few years until they can draft someone, or hope that Jernigan starts showing he can be the slot receiver they thought he could be and move Cruz outside.

But one thing this news tends to lead to is a real need to keep Cruz and Nicks, no matter the cost. Those two are great #1 and #2 receivers, and it sure looks like we may not have anyone who can really step into that #2 spot if one of them leaves. I thought, and will bet a lot that Reese/Ross thought, Randle was a great candidate. But if he’s from the Dez Bryant Receivers School then I want no part of him. Usually, wide receivers with an “attitude” don’t tend to lose it. They just remain privileged prima donnas who think things are owed them whether they prove their worth or not. This kid had better turn it around or he could be the kind of bust every team dreads: plenty of talent and potential, no character. Those are the ones that you keep hoping will grow up, but most don’t (and those that do usually do it only after they’ve been dumped by the team that drafted them and realized nothing is guaranteed and then have to work on “prove it” contracts in order to show they belong in the league).

•  BigBlueScorpion says:

Hes no Dez has good character just lazy becauae hes not starting just needs a good kick in the ****

I think we always needed to keep cruz and Nicks. Actually, Nicks’ injury might make it easier to extend him. I think maybe we can get him at a discount yearly salary if we provide high guarantees.

I think it’s way too early to judge Randle. Working hard like playing hard is not something everyone has and many times it’s learned. I think in Randle’s case being a backup hurts him. I think we would see a harder worker if he’s was our 2nd or 3rd WR. We will see.

•  Jason McEwan says:

+1. I think we are hitting the panic button way too early on this kid. Remember that TC use to be a WRs coach, who better to pull the talent out than him? Randle will learn what it is to be a pro, he is a rookie afterall, this is quite likely is his first job.

•  wlubake says:

That was me with the scoop, FYI. I’ve been mostly MIA and lurking this season, as work is crazy busy.

Thanks for remembering guys.

5.  The Sherminator says:

Good for Cruz stepping up and being a leader. A kid like this doesn’t fit with the Giants mentality of team first. I would rather see a guy like Douglas on our prac squad get a shot over some big shot first rounder who feels he should be handed a spot. I am sure Douglas has a a better work ethic and would do anything TC and co tell him to do.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, this is bad news.

This kid might end up being a great WR, but he’s got to change his attitude.

Not sure what it is, maybe he grew up and Eagles/ Cowboys fan and hated the Giants? LOL. Regardless he should be grateful for his chance.

•  demo3356 says:

clown analogy bro.. He’s a spoiled athlete, used to always being the man wherever he went and now he is 5th on depth chart getting zero reps. He’s not used to having to work for anything since he probably got by on freakish athletic ability his whole life. He’s got to adjust to the fact that EVERYBODY in the NFL is a freakish athlete and nobody is going to give him anything, he is going to have to earn it and take it. Most people figure that out a little quicker than him, but he’ll get it

7.  demo3356 says:

Well, now we know why a guy with top 25 talent went 64th in the draft. good sccop Foxlin. You nailed it early. Pretty Sure he is in the right clubhouse to get that sh*t fixed and corrected. I expect big things from him and he should be the clear cut #3 next year.

Rueben Randle is 21 years old … and he’s just been handed a $390,000 job not counting whatever signing bonus he received on top of that.

I’m willing to bet that if any of us here were in his position we’d be just as big an a-hole. Think back. What were you like at 21? You grew out of it; he will too … well ok, not kujo and demo of course.

Anyway, the thing is … he’s not a gangster … he’s just a kid who’s about to get the cold hard slap of reality. If he’s still this way a year from now … then I’ll be worried. Until then he’s serving out his apprenticeship like all rookies.

I hope you’re right, but wide receivers with attitude don’t have a great track record in the NFL unless they’re superstars. Those guys get away with a lot. Randle needs to either grow up, or show he’s so indispensable that the Giants can’t afford to make him grow up. Given our coach and his history with Mr. Burress I think the likelihood of the latter happening is extremely slim. That leaves Option A. We all had better hope Reuben takes it. He has enormous talent. But so does Dez Bryant.

•  TuckThis says:

The 24/7 news cycle has brought all of these stories front and center because they need to fill space. I’m sure there are many players who came to the NFL full of themselves and learned the hard way it wasn’t all about them any longer.
        I’m going to assume that TC and company will handle this.

The off season signing situation is getting very murky too. It’s a ‘capologist’ nightmare. While it’s pretty obvious that Diehl ($4.1 mil) and Bradshaw ($3.75 mil) would be looked upon with hungry eyes … I think we may be adding Corey Webster ($7 mil) to that list as well. With Hosley surprising us and Prince coming into his own it wouldn’t be a shock to see C-Web renegotiate … or else.

There are quite a few players who need and deserve new contracts. Cruz will be a RFA, but it’s a good time to forge a long term deal. Nicks is a UDFA, and we need to sign him. Phillips won’t get that much free agent interest given his injury history, but he’s still a critical player for us.

Beatty, Locklear, Boothe and Bennett are all hitting the market. We should have the inside track to signing them all … but they’re not working for free.

Of course there’s always ‘Osi Theatre’ … who knows what’s going to happen there. And it’s never too soon to lock up JPP.

Cap madness … coming soon to a football team near you.

UDFA=UFA … doh

I think some of those issues are easier than you suppose.

Bradshaw is gone unless he’ll work for very short dollars. And I don’t think any other team will pay him a lot more.

Diehl will have to take back-up money with a bonus if he winds up playing more than X number of snaps, or hit the road, probably the latter unless he’s feeling very good physically and wants one more year.

Webster will have to take a BIG hit if he wants to keep playing. I don’t think anyone will pay him #1 cornerback money and most teams won’t pay him #2 money either. Some will, but the Giants, because they will have their two other corners on rookie deals, could afford to pay him more than he can probably get elsewhere. Could be a 2-year, $3.5-$4MM per year, type of deal.

Osi is only going to be signed if he’ll work pretty cheap. We now have two young guys in the wings (Ojomo and Tracy, to say nothing of marshall and Broha) and really HAVE to move Kiwi to DE if we can keep Rivers. Rivers ought to be a three-down linebacker and I think he should be retained.

I think these things will work out okay. I’m worried about this season, not what happens after it. Lots of issues right now. The water is clear as mud.

Good point about Rivers. We’ll see how the rest of the year unfolds. But he’s a walking hospital ward. One thing after another. So far he can’t demonstrate the ability to stay on the field.

9.  LUZZ says:

Phillips will generate a lot of interest as FA. He’s an excellent deep cover safety and the whole league knows his value. Aside from being talented he’s a solid locker room guy, hard worker, and conducts himself very well off the field. There will be great interest in him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

yeah but he’s the quiet type. He’s not the leader that will get your team pumped up and what not.

I think KP will get a lucrative offer from the redskins, Chicago, Miami or AZ in the Offseason that he won’t turn down. I just don’t see us paying him.

There will be wide interest, but I can’t see a team making him a mega-offer. Not with one knee a micro-fracture job and the other one recently sprained. We should be able to match anything.

Looks like the injury report would be shorter if we just said who isn’t injured.

But I may have to lay off Barden a little. If he was concussed before that last series he may have had no idea how stupidly he went about his business. On the other hand, maybe Eli punched him in the jaw in the locker room before taking the blame for Barden’s mistakes.