September 21st, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The last thing the New York Giants needed were more injuries at the cornerback position, but that's exactly what they got in Thursday nights 36-7 victory over the Carolina Panthers. Shortly after a brief scuffle with Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith, cornerback Corey Webster headed to the locker-room for X-rays. He eventually emerged with a cast on his hand and it was revealed after the game that he had suffered a broken bone in his right hand.

“I made a tackle and came up stinging for a couple plays,” Webster said. “I finished playing this game, so I’m good for the next one.”

Although Webster acknowledges that the cast weighs his hand down and it will make it difficult to catch, he expects to play through it. He insists that he'll be on the field against the Philadelphia Eagles next Sunday, and each week after that going forward.

"It’s probably going to be a little tough to catch. But we’re going to do our best," he added.

Depending on the severity of the injury, surgery may eventually be required to insert pins of screws. However, because team doctors allowed Webster to return to the game in a cast, the break may be a more minor variety. Many players, including former running back Tiki Barber, have managed to play with heavy casts on their hands, so Webster will not likely be the exception.

Follow-up x-rays are usually taken within 5-7 days to rule out displacement or further angulation, and healing time is generally between four to eight weeks pending any setbacks or complications.

photo credit: AJ Guel Photography via photo pin cc

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Corey Webster, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith

22 Responses to “New York Giants’ Corey Webster Suffers Broken Hand in Win Over Carolina Panthers”

Hats off to my cable provider Time Warner/Road Runner … the last F-bags to not carry the NFL Network. Thanks guys … you’re the worst.

Is Martellus Bennett constructing a shrine to Eli? He certainly should. Not since Dracula has someone raised more people from the grave. ESPN was saying before the game how Eli makes stars out of relatively unknown players. Then afterwards they thumped their respective chests as he proved them right.

Barden … like a fine wine, aged on the oaken bench. He did look like Plax, and while he’s not Mr. Quick he’s certainly showed he can be a good mid-range possession WR. Hopefully he won’t tweet anything stupid, but the day is young.

Andre Brown … what coaching staff would recognize the talent in this guy? Apparently only 1. Kudos to Brown and to the team that didn’t give up on him. And thank you for all those fantasy points. Yes, I picked him up and started him this week.

The OL … while I’m resisting the urge to do some JPP backflips there’s no denying that something has changed. Maybe it’s the guys … maybe Carolina sucks … or maybe it’s what Brown can do for them. Fingers crossed.

One last F’U for Time Warner …

“It was nothing they did, it was all on us,” Newton said.

Makes it even sweeter. Green Bay and the 40Whiners are nodding in agreement. The rest of us are laughing.

•  jfunk says:

lol…apparently the Giants haven’t won a game in years. Other teams just keep on gifting them to us for some reason.

Perhaps Eli Manning isn’t actually a good QB after all…he’s just a voodoo priest that hexes our opponents.

3.  jfunk says:

Meh, not really worried about Corey’s hand. Next to his general level of play, it’s a non-issue. Besides, I think the next game missed by a defensive player due to a broken hand will be the first.

4.  JimStoll says:

morning after reflections:

1. if your last name began with a B, you were a star last night: Barden, Bennett, Brown — Bradshaw must really be p!ssed he missed the game;

2. speaking of Bradshaw, when he returns is he now the number 2 back? based on the last 2 games, he should be. Brown has shown better vision, better patience and more explosiveness. Plus, he’s looked like a better short yardage back. you don’t typically lose your starting job to injury on a Coughlin team, but Brown has looked so much better in his 6 quarters than Bradshaw did in his, it certainly is tempting.

3. Barden/Hixon present the same dilemma — is Hixon now the no. 4 receiver? Barden more than made the case last night. He got off the line well; used his big body for position, showed soft hands and solid concentration, and tossed a few moves out there after the catch. It is going to be very hard to ignore him in the game plan going forward.

4. How happy is Martellus Bennett? 4 years being denigrated in Dallas. Given the bum’s rush on the way out the door. And now he’s off to a TE’s wet dream of a season. 3 games; 3 TD’s (a franchise record, thank you very much). Big catches on 3d down. A great long seam reception. And a group of teammates ready to tear off an opponents head for trying to rough him up.

5. Then there is Locklear over diehl. Can Diehl really be given back his job if and when he’s healthy?

6. Osi and Tuck began to wake up last night. But how about LJ? He is becoming a pass-rushing force up the middle.

7. On the less rosy side, we now have Rivers, Holsley, Rolle and Webster nursing injuries. Only the entire defense. Boley however looks to have recovered pretty well from his pre-season woes. Half a sack; his 3d pick of the season (apparently, another franchise record — 1 pick in each of the first 3 games).

all in all, a pretty enjoyable game. as my son said afterwards: I needed a stress-free game.

ps. I didn’t forget to mention Eli and JPP. Did I need to?

•  jfunk says:

Re: Bennett.

Bennett was actually expected to be a better receiver than blocker coming out (although he was graded as “above average” blocking and a legit two way threat as well).

Is it a little ironic that the Dallas Cowboys drafted a receiving TE, molded him into an excellent blocker while ignoring his receiving talents, and then the New York Giants pick him up an unleash him as a receiver? Doesn’t quite seem to fit the script for this team, or for Coughlin.

The person who really had a bad night was Ahmad Bradshaw. Now don’t get me wrong … I love me some Bradshaw. 7th round wonder. Two SB rings. I’ll take him on my team any time.

But if Brown can keep this up … while Wilson learns the position … then that $3.75 mil cap hit is going to look awfully tasty when Reese starts trying to keep/extend the likes of Nicks, Cruz, Phillips, Bennett … etc etc.

Pains me to say it, but Bradshaw could be facing the same negotiation situation in 2013 that Jacobs did in 2012. And we all know how that turned out.

6.  njm0m says:

What a great day, what a great game. Last night was just utterly amazing. I’m sure everyone has covered everything as you guys always do, but I just have to say how happy I was to see everyone step up last night. We had a running game and a passing game all in the same night. We had two great plays on specials and except for a slight release of pressure a really good defensive showing. The line looked better then we have seen them in ages. Even Kujo you have to be pleased with their performance last night. Does Diehl really make that big of a difference or are they just tired of being sh*t on?

As much as I love a dominating win by the Giants I have to just say how much fun was it to see that sour puss look on dear old Cam Newton? That boy got a beat down and didn’t appear to be having to much fun.

7.  NeuronRoot says:

Did anyone see how Austin played? According to Traina all players played but I didn’t notice him

•  Emperor Norton says:

He was quiet all night. Only DT I saw playing really well was Bernard, who chased down D Williams (!) in the backfield for a loss after JPP blew up the outside blocking. I’m not too worried about Landfill, though, since the entire D line played so well that it was tough to find highlight reels for everybody.

•  jfunk says:

I didn’t notice Austin at all. I saw Kuhn out there, although I didn’t notice anything standing out about his play either.

•  JimStoll says:

LJ played really well I thought.
        First, not a single run up the middle worked. Second he had at least 3 monster pressures. When Canty gets back, assuming he’s 100%, he and LJ are going to be something together

8.  jfunk says:

Did anybody catch the moment during the broadcast where one of the announcers said “It’s not pretty, but here it is…” and circled Cam Newton’s face? He was talking about the Giants o-line, but they switched the camera on him right when he was doing it. That was pretty funny.

9.  Emperor Norton says:

This week’s blessing-in-disguise-watch: CWeb can’t get called for so many PI penalties if he can’t grab opposing receivers’ jerseys 10 yards downfield.

Anyway, I’m off to see if I can find footage of last night’s pregame show, with Neon Deon rounding out the panel of wisemen unanimously picking the Panthers, while Marshall Faulk is in-frame on stage left looking like he’s just eaten bad fish.

Repost:

I feel like I just woke up from a dream. Did Barden really look like Plax? Did Brown really look like a legit #1 RB. Did Prince and Hosley really play that well?

I mean that’s one of the best Giant performances in recent years. Carolina is a good team, that’s very talented. I felt like Eli took his game to another level. He came out and played like it was the 4th quarter from the start. If he continues that he will be in the regular season MVP running.

Brown is why the NFL is so crazy. He was thought to be our 3rd string RB just 5 days ago and now there’s only a handful of RBs who look better. I was never a Brown fan but the way he looked from his 2nd carry sunday is borderline special. He just seems to have it. I see some are disapointed in Wilson but I this is all about Brown playing great rather than anything about Wilson.

Barden was a surprise to me. I didn’t give up on him like many but I never expected a dominant game like this. They played us like we expected, it’s just that Barden stepped up bigtime.

The OL was great again. Even TC can’t find a way to re-insert Diehl. There were running lanes and great pass protection.

Props to Gillbride. I thought he called the more agressive game we all called for. He didn’t baby the backups. He showed he believed in Eli and the young guys by continuing to give them chances to make plays.

JPP is great. I mean he dominated the first part of the game.

Hosley just has it. He will make plays if given the chance. Prince was very good too. And Webster had a bounce back performance. The 2 penulties were out of agression and stradling the line of legal. That’s how I want Eli to play.

Bennett is a star. He’s exceeded expectations and still isn’t where he will be.