September 21st, 2012 at 12:00 PM

If the New York Giants had a nickel for every time an opposing player claimed they beat themselves, well … they would have a lot of nickels. Instead, they've got a lot of wins. But when defeat burns deep, it's sometimes difficult to admit you were bested. And for Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, he now becomes just another player who owes Big Blue a nickel.

'IMG_9267' photo (c) 2011, Parker Anderson - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

“It was nothing they did, it was all on us,” Newton said after the loss. "If I was a fan of the Carolina Panthers I would be holding my head down in shame of the product that was out there today."

The Giants really should be quite thankful to the rest of the league, because it sure does seem like a lot of teams are beating themselves for the Giants' benefit. Last year it was the Green Bay Packers and then the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship. Now, three weeks into this young season and needing a win, it was the upstart Carolina Panthers.

Perhaps they'll send pleasant Christmas cards.

Here's a thought … and we're just spit-balling here. But maybe, just maybe, the Giants are a good football team capable of winning games on their own.

We know! That's blasphemous talk and punishable by death. In other cultures we'd be considered witches, but the earth was also once believed to be flat, so anything is possible. And while it's undoubtedly true that all of these teams just happen to play their worst games when Big Blue comes to town, there is a very small -nearly microscopic- chance that Tom Coughlin & Co. are just better than their opponents.

Crazy thought, right? Now please excuse us as we wait for the Men in Black to arrive and whisk us away to a secret laboratory to have our minds cleared of such delirious thought.

Tags: Cam Newton, Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers, Tom Coughlin

153 Responses to “Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton: New York Giants Didn’t Beat Us, We Beat Ourselves”

1 2 3 ... 6

Best piece you’ve done in ages!!! Witchcraft, that’s the secret sauce. I love it.

I’m re-posting because sneaky Dan created a new thread as I was typing my conclusion to my previous comment. And I wanted to make sure this was said again. Believe it. It’s the truth.

I’ll say again what I’ve said since April. This is the best roster the Giants have ever had, and it is the best roster in the NFL. The only other teams that are even in the same class are the Packers, Niners and Texans. That’s it. Now it’s a matter of health and execution and luck.

I’ll also repeat this: if the defense can get healthy then once Canty returns this will be the first defense since the 2000 Ravens to be considered a truly great defense, provided they replace Blackburn.

Put the above two together with what has become a really special Special Teams unit and an offense that if everyone stays healthy looks nearly unstoppable now that some depth players are showing what they can do and Marty B appears to be what all of us hoped , and you get to where I noted long before the season commenced: the best shot at a repeat championship that anyone has had since the Patriots did it, and we won’t be doing it with “help”. That does NOT mean I’m predicting that because it takes a lot of luck and things going your way. I AM saying we have the team that can do it. We have a rough schedule, we still have areas that need correction, we need a return to health, and we need consistently good game-planning like what we had last night (excellent plans on both sides of the ball). In today’s NFL you can never rule out losing streaks, and for all we know the Giants will lay an egg at Lincoln Field a week from Sunday. But I like our chances to become a dominant team by November and make a long run in the playoffs. That’s been my story and I’m sticking with it.

• I already told Benton this morning not to get too excited until after the Eagles game. This is prime for a Giants-style letdown…

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I actually don’t think any of those teams have the depth at key position as we do.

WR, RB, D-line, Secondary. We”re deep.

Houston doesn’t have WR depth like us nor D-line depth, Packers dont have a secondary to speak of.

And if the 9ers had two of their top wr’s gone, they’d be unable to throw the ball.

Though I might have some different teams in the mix the point is this is a very very talented roster. Enough so that positions of weakness like RB, LT, 3rd WR, TE and CB can end up being strengths.

3. Norm — compared to a defense that tackles well. Let’s start there…

•  norm says:

So then I guess we can conclude that over the course of a few months, the New Orleans Saints devolved from one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL to one of staggering ineptitude.

What other explanation could there be for the fact that just a few days earlier, that same Saints offense was held in check by this horrifically sucky Panther defense?

I’ll refer back to one of the oldest cliches in sports: You’re never as good as you look when you win; you’re never as bad as you look when you lose. The Carolina D played poorly last night. But it’s a real stretch to cite that as some kind of ironclad evidence that they are among the worst defenses in a league that’s full of horrible defenses.

Exactly. Didn’t our defense suck versus Dallas? There defense still isn’t good but it can be good enough to win with the elite offense they expect.

4.  jfunk says:

Repost:

Since HopLax brought up the “talk” surrounding Bennett’s departure from the Cowboys, I’ll take the opportunity to remind every one that it’s the EXACT same thing that happened when Canty left.

Canty supposedly was a mediocre player looking good in the shadow of the stars surrounding him. Jerruh personally assured us all the Igor Olshansky was a more than adequate replacement and probably even an upgrade.

The Cowboys front office and coaching staff is a joke. That organization is a dark place where only the best of the best can succeed despite their environment. They bring out the worst in many a player. Bennett is exactly as was advertised coming out of college. Now that he is out from the dark light cast upon him by “The Star”, he is able to do what he was always capable of.

5.  wrdag says:

Terrence97 says:
    September 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    he once posted something on g101 and then went back to read it just to see how knowledgeable he really is…
    ff55 the most interesting poster on the net

Terrence, now thats was truly a LOL!!!
    ff55 deserves to give u a shout -out on that one. Very funny

Here’s the shout-out. Terrence knows I love him. Glad he finally figured out his way back. Took him long enough. Maybe he had to learn all the options like our receivers do before they can play?

6. Norm — they’re in the bottom 3rd of the league in pass yards allowed per game, run yards allowed per game and points allowed per game. And, last night, they showed every bit of that.

Their might be plenty of other teams that are as bad if not worse, but that doesn’t change the fact that they suuuuck. They didn’t do one single thing well last night.

7.  jfunk says:

If we lose to the Eagles, all of this disappears in an instant.

Every single thing said and written about the Giants will be exactly the same as it was following the Cowboys game.

Gotta say, being 2-0 vs. the NFC South and 0-2 vs. the NFC East would make all those nasty things difficult to argue against too.

Let’s just hope the Eagles offense continues it’s charitable ways. They certainly won’t beat the Giants with another 4-5 TO game. I’d very much love for them to “Beat themselves” so the Giants don’t have to.

• I’d love to see Eli go out there and start marching up and down the field from the get-go, much like he did last night.

Show them early, hey we’re going to move the ball at will and we’re going to score. Limits McCoy’s ability to help set the offensive tempo and puts Vick in the exact position we want him: having to sit in the pocket like bait while trying to force plays down the field.

•  Valid says:

I maintain that I don’t think the Eagles will be as much of a challenge as everyone thinks. As I mentioned in the previous update, the Panthers’ offense is very comparable to Philly’s, probably even better in some areas (I think Newton is better than Vick and I think Smith is better than either Jackson or Maclin), and we made them look foolish last night.

Philly’s offensive line is incredibly banged up, so I expect JPP, Linval, and the boys to have a field day. I am especially looking for a big game out of Linval given the fact that Philly’s center is out for the year. Also, I expect to see a whole lot of Jacquian and Rivers on the field together to keep Vick in check.

Hosley also picked a great time to have his coming out party. Let’s just hope his hamstring heals up in time for next Sunday, because having him, Webster, and Prince all healthy will be HUGE against the Eagles’ passing attack. Same goes for Rolle. He will be key in stopping McCoy, who I think is clearly the focal point of Philadelphia’s offense and the player we should be focused on shutting down the most. If you’re telling me that we’re going to force Vick to beat us through the air, I’ll take that 10 out of 10 times. He just isn’t a very good QB. Great athlete, but not a good QB.

I like the Giants to win this game rather handily, fellas.

I’m with you on the carolina offense is good prep for philly. But I don’t that means their offense will be easy to stop. It really helped our defense to be up 17-0 early second quarter. I think we can have success vs Philly’s offense but holding them to 7 points, I wouldn’t expect.

Then you’re forgetting the Philly defense is much much better than Carolina’s. I like the way Eli is playig against any defense. But this game is very tough. Remember we only won 1 out of the last 8 vs Philly.

For me a loss to Philly wouldn’t make me feel that. I think the concern with the dallas game was how we played. Philly is a very talented team a we could lose playing a B level game. The concern vs Dallas was not just that we lost but we were completely outplayed.

0-2 in the division would be bad but we still get rematches with Dallas and Philly.

The excitement I feel about this game is not about our current place in the standings, it’s about what this team can be. A loss at Philly wouldn’t change that for me. being down 2 games with 12 games to go wouldn’t worry me.

HopLax’s excellent post said 90% of what needs to be said about Bennett but he was too diplomatic to say the rest. I’m not.

Bennett was absolutely hosed by a combination of having a tough time starting out strong as rookie, a horrid front office, a quarterback who was so busy making his best buddy look good that he did nothing to help Bennett, and a touch of Dallas racism that was extremely disapproving of Marty B’s “attitude” (code for “this guy makes music and has cred in the ghetto….not really our type of young man”). I obviously have no proof of this, but I do not think it’s an irresponsible charge. We all know Romo didn’t want to look Bennett’s way if there was any chance of delivering a ball to Witten. We all should know that this is the franchise that had Tom Landry talking about how they only wanted “Good Christians” wearing their uniforms. We all should know that Dallas is a southern city in its attitudes about race. And we all know that Jerruh Jones doesn’t know how to run a football team but thinks he does. Add to this that Garrett was a pretty poor coach initially and had a long-standing relationship with Witten and Romo into which Bennett stepped and you have a pretty good formula for a kid being squeezed out.

Thank you Dallas. I sure hope Reese can manage to keep him. A combo of he and Robinson added to Nicks, Cruz and (pick your #3 wide receiver….I don’t care who it is) will not be defensible. By anyone.

• +1 all around.

The Giants have a ton of people that are going to be deserving of new contracts in the next few years, and Marty B might make himself or price himself out of being one of them. Others include Cruz, Nicks, JPP, Linvall, Beatty…with Brown maybe getting himself on that list soon enough if he keeps this up.

Some of those might be monster contracts, some might be affordable and some might happen with another team.

•  BLU-82 says:

Jerry loves Dez, against all odds. If he can continue to feel that way- I can’t believe there’s a racist agenda going on in the Dallas FO. I sincerely doubt racism has anything to do with Bennett’s failure there (And agree 100% with everything HopLax said). You say a lot of insightful stuff, but this comment doesn’t pass the sniff test.

As far as the racism I’m directing that more at their fans than at Jones. Jones is just bad at the football side of the team, but a very smart businessman. He knew his fan base didn’t like Bennett. Made it that much easier to dump him.

But I think that kind of thinking may have infected the team’s decision-makers as well.

I readily admit I could be wrong, but I still cannot understand why they wouldn’t have given this guy more of a shot. All you had to do was see him play a few games at college and you knew he could succeed in the NFL. What he looked like last night was what he looked like in school.

•  rlhjr says:

The thought had crossed my mind however; I chose to center my suspicions upon Blow-MO and Whitten being best buds. I think Whitten is a stand up type. Romo, I have no clue but suspect he’s a weasel.

Landry I thought was an outstanding defensive mind, devout Christian and Family man. Texas, rather than accept emancipation of slaves instead opted to succeed from the Union of States…..nuff said.

Bottom line is Bennett was devalued and shoved in a corner by what can only be categorized as an obtuse coaching and front office staff. This guy makes safeties, linebackers and DB’s look like high school kids, trying to tackle Jim Brown. He’s a load AND he block/catch. He’s like a 5 tool baseball player.

9.  norm says:

Simon,

I think you are missing the gist of my original point.

Namely: The Panthers are a middle of the pack team. Nothing more; nothing less. They will probably finish the year in the neighborhood of 7-9, 8-8.

And, as do many other middle of the pack teams in today’s NFL, they are saddled with a lousy defense. Bad defenses are the new normal in a league that have tilted the rules heavily in favor of the offense.

That’s it. If you want to pull out all kinds of stats to bolster your case that the Carolina D is especially bad, have at it. But it’s not a debate I’m particularly interested in. Heck. I’ll even concede the point, if you’d like.

In the meantime, I’ll simply continue to stand by my original thesis: The Panthers are not the horrifically sucky team that many are now saying they are based on their beatdown from the Giants last night. They are a middle of the pack team who will occasionally rise up to beat some of the better teams and will also get schooled by very good teams like the Giants when those teams are playing at or near the top of their game.

•  Valid says:

Funny thing is, the entire world (many people on this site included) were saying how much trouble the Giants were going to be in last night against what was supposed to be a solid, playoff-contending Carolina team. I think people would feel better if we would have beaten them 24-21 instead of 36-7.

10.  wrdag says:

Some Superman numbers that look pretty closer to Clarke Kent:

After starting with back to back 400 yard games he has had just 2 games over 300 yards. His final 12 games last year his average passing yards were a pedestrian 222.
    22 picks in 19 games (23 TDS)
    overall record 7-12
    cool TD dance

Meanwhile the NFL media ignores the better progress of Superman’s 2011 draftmate Andy Dalton:
    In 17 full games averages 226 yards a game
    15 picks (23 TDS)
    overall record 10-8 plus a playoff game
    TD dance unknown

•  norm says:

I was arguing the other day that Dalton deserved to be on Warner’s “Top 5″ list over QBs like Bob or Bradford.

•  jfunk says:

For some reason, the only TD dance I can even imagine Dalton doing is spiking the ball and having it bounce up and hit him in the nuts.

Maybe he has the same visions and will never attempt it.

1 2 3 ... 6