September 19th, 2012 at 12:10 PM

New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara is anxious to return to the football field, and thought he was ready on Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, the team thought otherwise and he was listed as inactive. Now, a few days of additional rest later, Amukamara once again has his mind set on playing; this time on Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers.

'Commissioner Goodell with Prince Amukamara ' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

“I hope this is the week,” Amukamara said on Tuesday. “I feel better than I did last week, so I know that I’m progressing. I did a lot today, so it was a good workout. All the signs are good to me.”

Hopeful the second-year cornerback would be back this week only a few short days ago, head coach Tom Coughlin has once again tempered his expectations. Although Amukamara participated in Tuesday's practice on a limited basis, the amount of pain he's still experiencing has turned hope into skepticism.

“We’ll see [if he can play against Carolina],” said Coughlin. “I’m not ready to say that yet.”

It looks like Prince, who suffered a high ankle sprain in week three of the preseason, will once again be a game-time decision come Thursday.

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Tom Coughlin

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara Says He’s Ready to Play Thursday; Tom Coughlin not So Sure”

1.  AdamGmen says:

Move over William Joseph…

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    September 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    BBG re I worry MUCH more about Vick than Cam

Steve Smith is better than either Philly WR and Lafell is rapidly improving. I think Olson is just as good or better than Celek. Their RB group is better than McCoy even though he’s a great player. Their OL is also better. Plus Cam is just more dangerous than Vick because he’s hard to bring down like Big Ben but as elusive (not as fast) as Vick. Plus their coaching staff usually stays with the running game a lot more than Philly so it’s harder to key on just Cam.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

stop.

Steve Smith in 2012 is not better than Djax, Maclin and Avant. Lefell Is getting better but so is Maclin. I’ll take Maclin on my team anyday over Lafell. Sorry. Dwillz and Jonathan Stewart combined are NOT better than McCoy. Yes. their O-line is a little better, but not by much.

Panthers won 4 games last year and Cam was outstanding.

3.  Hazem Kiswani says:

Kid’s killing me. I had such high hopes for him as a prospect with those natural man on man coverage skills. Still do. But he’s got to get a consistent string of time on the field going here soon before his confidence takes a hit.

4.  F0XLIN says:

Coe and Nicks questionable
    Prince, Rivers and Scott probable

5.  jfunk says:

FF55 – Regarding Rolle’s comments.

I wouldn’t be so quick to take Rolle’s comments at face value. Let’s wait to see how they actually play first.

It’s entirely possible that holding IS now part of their plan, but stating that publicly wouldn’t help the cause.

You’re right, but they weren’t holding on Sunday when every Tampa Bay defensive back was grabbing our guys on nearly every play and generally got away with it.

Folks, you HAVE to be patient with Prince. A high ankle sprain that clearly isn’t his fault is a tough injury. He may need another few weeks and Coughlin may be calculating the risk/reward thinking that another ten days of rest pretty much assures him a healthy player against the Eagles in a critical early-season division game against better receivers. Prince WANTS to play. It’s the coach who may not allow it.

This kid has unfortunately suffered a string of injuries, but he’s been perfectly okay when he’s been on the field. He was starting to look better than “okay” at the end of last season. He will be absolutely critical to our success this season and, at worst, will miss four games before returning (unless they allow him to play tomorrow and he aggravates what is clearly not a fully healed ankle sprain).

Anyone who even thinks about writing him off is a fool.

7.  LUZZ says:

Coe, Prince, and Holsey represent 3 very solid young CBs for us. These 3 are the future.

I like what I have seen from Will Hill at Safety so far. I wonder if JR will be able to keep both Rolle and KP for the long term, while also keeping both Cruz and Nicks for the long term, and kiwi and JPP for the long term. Assuming that only one of KP and Rolle will be retained long term, I wonder if Hill has the mental make-up to be an NFL starter once the glory of being an NFL player is presented to him. Anyone think JR has “little moles” on the team to let him know who parties at an acceptable level and who takes it to a dangerous level? I don’t know enough about the NFL culture to know if this stuff happens. If JR does have ways of getting info, I bet he’s got someone watching Hill closely.

•  F0XLIN says:

Speculation is C Web and Hosley will get the start tomorrow with Hosley sliding to the slot in Nickel packages with Prince on the outside

I’m with you on liking the three youngsters and have said so. I hope they can keep Corey at a reasonable price but I doubt it.

I have been a big fan of Will Hill (as I guess has been obvious) but you’re right in worrying about whether his commitment will remain what it appears to be once he starts to feel at all comfortable about his place on the team.

8.  F0XLIN says:

Ebenezer Samuel tweeted Ruben Randle was taking a lot of snaps as the 3rd WR, also Hakeem told him to be ready to go. Can’t read into the Hakeem bit too much

I think it’s time for Randle to be given a shot. Barden stinks. I figured Randle would take that #3 spot late this season after being eased into it, but force-feeding him could turn out well, and Carolina’s defensive backfield isn’t fabulous so perhaps this is a time to get the kid’s feet wet.

•  F0XLIN says:

Agreed, Barden has done nothing more than catch a couple screens in the pre season, it’s time for Randle to step up. If they force feed him now, he can be an unbelievable 3rd/4th option come later in the season.

Teams simply will not be able to cover Nicks, Cruz, Bennett, and Randle, especially if we start running the ball average to above average.