September 19th, 2012 at 9:15 AM

New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was seen limping off the field several times on Sunday afternoon against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In one instance, it was clear that a defender had come down on the back of his heel and that Nicks was in a significant amount of pain. However, after taking a scheduled day off from practice on Tuesday, both Nicks and head coach Tom Coughlin said that no setbacks were suffered and the wideout had a green light for Thursday.

“I feel all right,” Nicks said. “I’m taking it day-by-day. I got some treatment, worked on my cardio, then hit the weight room. I can’t let not practicing frustrate me. I just have to have the mentality to get better. It’s getting better. It’s all about maintaining my body and then getting ready to play come game time.”

Nicks added that playing on Sunday actually made his foot feel a lot better; that it was a better treatment than ice. And although that may just be a mental thing, he's anxious to hit the field again on Thursday for what will be his first trip back to Carolina since being drafted in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

“It’s really big for me,” Nicks said. “I’m really looking forward to it. I have a lot of family and friends that are going to be there.”

Nicks is no stranger to the Carolina Panthers, having watched them religiously while attending UNC. In fact, he was a big fan of Steve Smith – someone he modeled himself after and hoped to be like. On Sunday, he'll have a chance to put on a show with Smith watching from the sidelines.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Suffers No Setbacks, Expected to Play Thursday Against Carolina”

This is VERY good news. I thought the thing to worry about might be his ankle after that play that after he was held all the way downfield the Bucs added insult to injury by stepping hard on it as Hakeem went down. He only missed one play after that, but I was afraid it would swell up on him. Glad he can go because he will be critical.

So getting to that small detail that the team plays a big game tomorrow, what is the approach regarding the Panthers? Frankly, it’s too early in the season for me to know enough about them to have a good idea of what we should be doing other than the obvious: play our three fast linebackers together a lot to offset Newton’s runs; keep a deep man behind Smith and single LaFell; stop the early runs, especially those that they try to bounce outside; get pressure on Cam; establish the run enough to allow Eli to slice up their secondary targeting mostly Nicks, Cruz and Bennett. What else? Anyone really familiar with the Panthers?

•  JimStoll says:

Nicks is terrific.
      Cruz is terrific.
      Eli is terrific.
      If Bennett keeps coming (that is, drop fewer passes)
      Brown or wilson can give us at least what Brown gave us last week
      and we can get something out of whoever the 3d receiver ends up being, watch out.

I think Sunday was the first time I realized just how much of a warrior we have in Nicks. I knew how good of WR he was when healthy. I also knew he always seemed to be injured. But Sunday proved to me just how much this kid wants it. When he limped off the field most would have at least sat out a few plays but he comes right back in. Not only does he return but it’s a huge catch with a great move off the line of scrimage. Then he comes up with the huge big play when the game is tied.

I think what we have overlooked is that not only is Eli clutch but we have a pair of clutch WRs, especially Nicks. He’s already made many big catches in his young career. With Cruz and Bennett also occupying defenders he will continue to find himself with those opportunities.

3.  G-MenFan says:

Even though he’s a wide receiver, Nicks not only could have played for Parcells, but I think Parcells might even have remembered his name.

4.  Emperor Norton says:

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    September 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Emperor Norton says:
    September 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Considering the pedigree of their linebacking corps, the Panthers’ run defense this season has been absolutely wretched. I’m hoping that Gilbride decides to keep riding his ‘establish the run at all costs even we’re getting 1.5 YPC’ pony for one more week, because I think this is the game where we can actually use the run to set up the pass. If this was really a team that could pound the rock, it would be one of the most terrifying offenses since the ’07 Pats.

Defensively, I think you’ve got it: don’t put Webster on Smith, because he’s going to get torched, and keep a deep safety behind Smith all the time. They don’t have any other WRs that scare me, so we can probably creep Rolle up to the line to slow down that option-style running game they’ve been leaning on, and make Cam beat us with underneath stuff.

Without reading this I’m going to guess the BID is about Diehl since they have been ranking him so low.

I was correct:

No Big Diehl?

If you’ve read almost any of our Giants game analysis from last season, then you’re probably aware of the struggles of offensive lineman David Diehl. Announcers call him versatile because he can play guard or tackle, which really means that he can hurt the Giants at two positions. He compiled an abysmal -47.2 grade at left guard and left tackle in 2011, and has shown no signs of improvement at right tackle this season. He graded a -6.0 against the Cowboys and -1.8 in just 15 snaps on Sunday before he left with an injury. Sean Locklear (-0.6) struggled in pass protection in his stead and William Beatty (+0.2) had a couple of bad false start penalties, but even their average performances are an upgrade from Diehl’s standard. If Diehl has to miss any time with his injury, the Giants may be getting a blessing in disguise.

5.  Leo62 says:

I think first and foremost the the giants defense must stop carolinas run game, make cam newton strictly a pocket passer. He’s less affective a passer without a run game to use as a crutch. It also makes there qb option plays less effective.

On offense control charles johnson give eli a clean pocket to throw from and nicks cruz bennet and company will have their way with the panthers D. I also think well have success running the ball this week as the run defense has not been that good throught the first two games.

Biggest advantage we have for tomorrow is probably this: we have veterans at most starting positions and a coach who probably was insistent that a game plan be created for the Panthers prior to Sunday (TC covers EVERY detail), so we know how to get ready for a quick turnaround. Rivera is a new coach and probably had to have coaches’ meetings deep into Monday night to come up with a plan, and they have a young quarterback who may not be able to help their younger players adapt to the short week.

Coaching advantage: Giants
    Quarterback advantage: Giants
    Receiver advantage: Giants (Smith and LaFell having excellent seasons but nobody in the league has Nicks + Cruz)
    Defense: toss-up unless the real Giants’ defense shows up
    Offensive line advantage: probably Carolina but I think one of their tackles is questionable for the game
    Running game advantage: Carolina
    Defense against the run advantage: Giants

Sounds to me like, once again, we are riding Eli’s coattails, which have been very supportive. But we also have to “control” Newton who is capable of winning a game against a defense that doesn’t do its job.

I think we need to limit Carolina’s big plays. They are a little like the Eagles in that there offense is use to getting big plays. Hopefully we can make the plays we need to stop drives if we limit big plays.

The hidden weapon I worry about them hurting us with is Olson. Clark started to hurt us towards the end of the game and at this point of their careers Olson is bigger and faster. He will be tough to stop with all the focus on the RBs and Cam.

The more I think about it the only way to really stop this Pather offense is a dominant DL effort. They have enough very good threats around Cam that you just can’t fully focus on Cam. Tuck and Osi have to step up this game or we will likely have to try to win a shoot out.

I love our match up vs this defense. I think they are similar but less talented than TB. If Beatty plays well against Johnson I don’t see them getting much pass rush. I think this game we will see another WR either Barden or Randle along with Bennett having huge games. I see Carolina trying to double Nicks and Cruz a lot which will allow for some huge plays from others. I think they will play a lot more coverage than TB so Eli has to be patient.

8.  jfunk says:

I think #1 is stop their running game. Can Cam Newton beat us on his own? I don’t know, but I’d at least like to make sure that he has to in order to get the win. Keying primarily on Cam instead of the RBs will only make things easier on him.