September 19th, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Coming off a short week, the New York Giants had very little time to heal. Accordingly, it comes as no surprise that running back Ahmad Bradshaw (neck), wide receiver Domenik Hixon (concussion), defensive end Adewale Ojomo (hamstring) and offensive tackle David Diehl (knee) have all been ruled out for Thursday nights game against the Carolina Panthers.

Meanwhile, cornerback Michael Coe (hamstring) and wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (foot) are both listed as questionable. However, Nicks said on Tuesday that he suffered no setbacks in Sunday's win over Tampa Bay and fully expects to play in what will be a special homecoming for him.

The team also announced that cornerback Prince Amukamara (ankle), running back Da'Rel Scott (knee) and linebacker Keith Rivers (hamstring) are all probable.

Even with Prince back on the field, rookie Jayron Hosley is expected to start opposite of Corey Webster and then slide inside in nickel situations. Amukamara and Coe will then split time on the outside – how much each plays is a matter of both performance and pain tolerance.

At running back, Andre Brown will likely get the start with rookie David Wilson and Da'Rel Scott splitting carries. While at the tackle positions, it will be Will Beatty on the left and Sean Locklear on the right.

Finally, rookie wide receiver Rueben Randle will likely see an increased role at WR3 with Hixon out. Ramses Barden will also see more opportunities.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Adewale Ojomo, Ahmad Bradshaw, Carolina, Carolina Panthers, David Diehl, Domenik Hixon, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Keith Rivers, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara

33 Responses to “New York Giants’ Ahmad Bradshaw, Domenik Hixon & David Diehl Out Against Carolina Panthers”

1.  norm says:

Has there been any official word yet on the precise nature of Diehl’s knee injury?

If there has been, I missed it.

The only thing I recall was some vague talk earlier this week that it had something to do with the MCL. Nothing about whether it was torn or how much time he might miss.

I guess if it was something really severe, he would have been placed on either regular or temporary IR by now. But this is just speculation on my part.

Anyone here know anything more?

2.  BigBlueScorpion says:

I dont think Carolina is as dangerous as everyone is makeing them out 2 be

•  Barbarossa says:

It’s not about how dangerous Carolina is or isn’t, it’s about how inconsistent our beloved NYG tend to be. I’ve learned never to take any game for granted or look past anyone because the Giants have the ability to lay an ostrich sized egg on any given Sunday (or Thursday in this case).

•  Barbarossa says:

That’s why being a Giants fan is a little like being in an abusive relationship. Every time they tell you that this time things will be different and they’ve learned their lesson, and you always believe them because you’re kind of stupid and gullible. But they keep coming home drunk and beating you in your sleep…

GOAT56 says:
    September 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    September 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    BBG re I worry MUCH more about Vick than Cam

Steve Smith is better than either Philly WR and Lafell is rapidly improving. I think Olson is just as good or better than Celek. Their RB group is better than McCoy even though he’s a great player. Their OL is also better. Plus Cam is just more dangerous than Vick because he’s hard to bring down like Big Ben but as elusive (not as fast) as Vick. Plus their coaching staff usually stays with the running game a lot more than Philly so it’s harder to key on just Cam.

BigBlueGiant says:
    September 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    stop.

Steve Smith in 2012 is not better than Djax, Maclin and Avant. Lefell Is getting better but so is Maclin. I’ll take Maclin on my team anyday over Lafell. Sorry. Dwillz and Jonathan Stewart combined are NOT better than McCoy. Yes. their O-line is a little better, but not by much.

Panthers won 4 games last year and Cam was outstanding.

You must live in Philly or something. Steve Smith is better than any single Philly WR. I haven’t seen any signs Maclin has improved. I think you’re under estimating the Carolina group plus there’s Tolbert too. McCoy is great but he can’t play ever snap either. The Carolina OL was better last year and that’s with Peters and Kelce. This current Philly OL is worse than ours though they probably have better depth.

The Panthers won 6 games last year. That’s 2 games less than the great Philly offense with a horrible defense and rookie QB.

The point is you’re crazy not be just very scared of Cam and his offense. They were top 5 last year and looked that part again last week.

4. Hate to engage in G101 on G101 crime, but I’ve got to.

Disagree with Dan that Reuben’s going to be penciled in at the 3rd WR spot. I expect Barden, especially on a short week with a quick game-plan installation, to take over Hixon’s role.

Randle will see a few more opportunities, but Barden gets a shot here.

5.  GIANTT says:

Ive been VERY quiet the past couple of weeks – I totally agree that Nicks is a baller and its a well deserved honor . Does anyone think that the play when his foot was stepped on WASNT deliberate ? Lets put it this way the Buc player didnt go out of his way to avoid it
    I SAW the game on the NFL channel yesterday . I actually didnt think they played too badly in the first half . A couple of questions . I know Eli was blamed for the picks but it crossed my mind that the pick to the LB i think , did the WR run the wrong route ? Im more inclined to think a WR ran the wrong route than Eli threw to the wrong spot .

Also , to start the controversy again . The rule is that if the QB gives himself up then the play is dead and basically the defense cant touch him . So , if the QB goes for a kneel down isnt he giving himself up ? (and therefore shouldnt be hit ? )

• Don’t think Nicks was stepped on purposefully. Might look slow enough on the replay, but real time I doubt there’s anyway the defender had time to react in a deliberate manner one way or another.

The first and third picks were definitely Eli’s fault, but on the second one (an out to Cruz) it looked like Cruz got held a bit and thus was not at the spot Eli was throwing to. Ball still appeared to sail a bit, but if Cruz isn’t held he probably at least gets a hand on it.

He can surely be hit before his knee hits the ground. And in Schiano’s grand scheme, I suppose the goal is to knock the ball loose before Eli’s knee hit the ground.

I don’t think it was on purpose either.

On the knee Eli was actually hit by his own player (who was pushed back) so if he lost the ball when he fell to the ground it would have been a live ball.

•  GIANTT says:

Simon , Thanks for clarifying the INTs , again most of us just get to see
          nothing but a poor mans version so most times we dont get to see what is happening to the WR as he goes out .

GOAT , yes I know Eli was hit by his own man but as TC said I dont know if any of the line got hurt , they havent come in yet . Anybody getting hurt on that play was not something to be expected .
          I suppose that from now on the line will be ready for an assault and the refs will blow a quick whistle to stop any mayhem . Remembering either
          “the FUMBLE ” or “The miracvle in the Meadowlands ” depending on which team you were , the coaches will come up with another answer

Cruz was more than a little “held” on that second interception. It was blatant, and obvious. The first interception was 100% on Eli. He tried to loft a ball to Bennett over a linebacker and in front of the safety and short-armed it a bit so it was easily intercepted. The third was a combination of fabulous scouting by the Bucs (tendencies on 3rd and 2-3 yards in that area of the field), a fake blitz from Wright and then his step-back right into the pass just as Eli was pulling the trigger. Eli’s mistake wasn’t the throw. Nothing he could do about that. It was reading the fake blitz as a real one. It was a “non-recognition interception”. That’s certainly largely on Eli, but give Wright and his coaches credit for a fabulous play.

6. Dan — Meh. I’m not buying it. Barden may be taking snaps there because A) he’s one twisted ankle away from definitely having the job and B) Barden is probably taking most of Nicks’ practice snaps anyway.

My gut is we see a lot more Barden than Randle. But no point arguing about it, we’ll know in about 30 hours!

7.  Grateful Giants says:

does anyone know a website where I can watch a replay of the giants bucs game?

•  GIANTT says:

GG , I watched it on the NFL channel here on Long Island it s ch 150 ?

•  Grateful Giants says:

Thanks dude, Im in NYC and my Time Warner doesn’t have NFL I don’t think, I was on a plane during the game and want to see what really happened.

I really want to see how Brown ran in person, and how Cruz and Nicks played so well.

8.  norm says:

Based on the non-response to the query I posted above, I can only assume that there has still been no definitive word on the seriousness of Diehl’s knee injury.

Either that, or no one here gives enough of a sh!t about Diehl to bother finding out. Which is, of course, a very real possibility.

Prince is probable and Coe is not even listed. That’s great news! We finally get a real look at our 2012 full compliment of CBs. Though with TC comments Prince might be only used for spot duty.

Rivers playing is also great news. I think we have to find ways to get Williams or Rivers on the field a lot with Boley while at times using all 3. Tolbert at FB could be a tough cover.

I would love to see Randle out there as our 3rd WR. However, knowing TC and Barden showing signs of being a contributer I just would bet that Barden starts and plays the vast majority of the snaps. I hope I’m wrong.

I think we will finally get a chance to see Wilson a good number of snaps. Brown I’m sure will start and probably play more but Brown just played the most he has in 4 years and coming off of a short week. I think they will want to moderate his plays, especially being TC probably wants his blocking on 3rd downs.

10.  Valid says:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Jerry Jones said that the kneel-down should be “banned” and that teams should be “forced” to run a play in that situation.

An unsurprising comment from a well-known tool.