Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 2

September 18th, 2012 at 12:35 PM

"Poor Eli Manning” is a compilation of quotes by both the media and fans about New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XLII & XLVI MVP Eli Manning.

Despite his success, negativity and doubt have followed Peyton’s younger brother since the moment he was traded from the San Diego Chargers to the New York Giants on draft day of 2004. Regardless of what he does or how well he performs – even in a league that lives and dies by the motto, “What have you done for me lately?” – he is questioned and criticized.

'Eli Manning is back to pass in warm ups.' photo (c) 2009, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

In Sunday's 41-34 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Manning threw for a career-high 510 yards and notched yet another 4th quarter comeback win. He also tossed three touchdowns and completed 61% of his passes, but his three first half interceptions are what dug the Giants a huge hole in the first place.

Manning was far from perfect early on in the game, but it was his late game heroics that deserve the headlines. For most, that's perfectly acceptable, but for his haters, it's those three interceptions that steal the show. However, most comments were quickly deleted as Easy-E once again led his team to victory, and few loud mouths were able to stand by their in-game ridiculousness.

Alas, not everyone shied away from torching Eli this week. And it should come as no surprise that former Big Blue quarterback Kurt Warner, who lost his job to Eli, slighted the two-time Super Bowl MVP yet again.

Jason Whitlock, FOX Sports

"Despite his two Super Bowls and terrific play in the fourth quarter, Eli is not elite. Football coaches know this … The Giants proved you don’t have to be all that good in the regular season. Just make the tournament and roll the dice with your pass-happy mediocre QB."

Dylan Davis, Yahoo! Sports

"Let me be honest with you. There were times during the game when I wished the Giants had another quarterback. And that got me to thinking about who, if possible, I would rather have as my team's quarterback than Eli Manning. Here are the guys that I came up with: Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning."

Matt Trowbridge, Rockford Register Star

"Eli Manning is below average (82.3 carrer rating) until the fourth quarter."

Kurt Warner, NFL Network

"My top five QB's after two weeks, number five Cam Newton … [number four] Sam Bradford … [number three] RGIII … number two on my list, Philip Rivers … and number one on my list, Alex Smith."

Brian Patton, Facebook

"Eli Manning is no better than Trent Dilfer ever was."

Sidney Deane, Twitter

"Eli is the third Manning clone … You know they get dummer and watered down after each one."

Lorenzo Marquez, Twitter

"Eli Manning will never even be close to as good as Peyton."

Jason Kopriva

"Eli Manning couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat."

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Kurt Warner, New York, New York Giants, NFL

63 Responses to “Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 2”

1 2 3
  1.  norm says:

Kurt Warner… please step away from the crack pipe.

2.  The Original G Man says:

I was glad to see the Yahoo one was just some idiot user posting his own stuff, because that’s just moronic.

I’m surprised Warner is like this. Isn’t he Mr. Mega-Christian? I’m not certain, but it’s probably a good bet that Jesus wouldn’t be holding a grudge … and tweeting about it.

4.  BBWC says:

Alex Smith #1? He’s definitely on crack!

5.  The Original G Man says:

I just tweeted at Lorenzo about his comment. He doesn’t have a sense of humor. LOL!

6.  LUZZ says:

Kurt Warner’s list is terrible. I don’t think Warner is holding any kind of grudge. I’ve heard him talk plenty about his time with the Giants, he doesn’t hold any grudge as far as I can tell. In fact, I think he likes Eli and TC. His list is weird though. Sometimes these guys try too hard to give fresh opinions they they end up crossing over into fantasy and leave reality.

•  norm says:

I suppose a legit case can be made for Rivers (who has played very well over the first two weeks) and even Newton.

But Smith at #1? Bradford – what the f–k has he ever done? And I know everyone is falling all over themselves in their haste to anoint Bob as the Next Big Thing – but he hasn’t even been the best rookie QB so far!

7.  BigBlueGiant says:

Warner has always had it out for Eli.

8.  BBWC says:

Trent Dilfer and Eli Manning don’t even belong in the same sentence together.

9. Very good news to have Amukamara, Coe and Rivers all practicing.

Rivers is the Giants best linebacker when healthy and the secondary really needs Amukamara to play like he was drafted to play.

And let’s not underestimate Coe’s importance to this team. He’s way better than the next guy up (Tryon).

•  Chad Eldred says:

I don’t think anyone here will disagree with you the gulf that exists between the ability of Coe and Tryon.

Rivers is good, but Boley is still the best LB we have in my opinion. Not only due to his physical talent, but his ability to run the defense. We found out last year how important Boley was when he was gone for a spell. Hopefully we get them both healthy for the majority of the season.

10.  Valid says:

Gonna be completely honest here:

The fact that someone actually said that Eli is no better than Dilfer proves that Eli haters basically have no ammo left whatsoever.

There really is nothing left to see in “Poor Eli.”

1 2 3