Video: New York Giants’ Kenny Phillips Unloads on Vincent Jackson

September 17th, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Trailing 27-16 late in the third quarter, the New York Giants were desperately looking for a momentum swing. And as an 0-2 start began to loom, it was safety Kenny Phillips who came to the rescue. He would unleash a crushing hit on Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Vincent Jackson that changed the course of the game.

On the very next play, cornerback Corey Webster would come up with an interception and then quarterback Eli Manning would begin to do his thing. For the Bucs, it was all downhill from there.

As far as Troy Aikman's assessment goes, he's dead wrong in assuming this was an illegal hit. Phillips does not lead with his helmet, nor does he appear to hit Jackson in the head. From the replays, it looks as if KP hits Jackson in the chest/shoulder/arm with his shoulder and does so without really lunging forward.

It was, however, only the second best hit in the NFL on Sunday. Golden Tate of the Seattle Seahawks gets the nod for #1 on his brutal shot on Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee.

Tags: Corey Webster, Eli Manning, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Vincent Jackson

12 Responses to “Video: New York Giants’ Kenny Phillips Unloads on Vincent Jackson”

1.  The Original G Man says:

The Golden Tate hit was one of the most brutal I’ve ever seen.

(Dear Golden – Please make your check or money order payable to “The National Football League Office of Infraction Collections.”)

2.  Dirt says:

Both hits are illegal.

Tate:
    @MikePereira: The hit on Lee is an illegal blindside block. Lee is considered defenseless, which means you can’t lower your head & hit in head/neck area.
    @MikePereira: On a blindside block the player is defenseless and you can’t lead with your helmet no matter where you hit him.

Phillips:
    @MikePereira: Yes. It was a shoulder to the head and neck area of receiver. RT @Golfer07840 should Giants have been flagged for defenseless receiver hit?

You guys gotta realize that these illegal hits don’t need to involved a defender’s head, and they don’t have to involved a defenseless person’s head. Words like “shoulder” and “area” are in the rulebooks.

No comment on what I think about the rules.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The NFL is pussified. Both of these shots are borderline based on the rules, but seem to be of the cleaner variety in comparison to, say, the hit on Domenik Hixon which was blatantly dirty. More importantly, neither was called illegal on the field.

3.  UANYG says:

Whether they’re legal or not, that ish has to hurt this morning. I cringed when I saw lee get hit.

Repost:

Hope all is well. I have to admit, yesterday’s thrilling win was a flashback to last year. If anything, it reaffirms my confidence that this team, at the very least, has a puncher’s shot with anyone they play. Credit goes to a Tampa team that played better than I thought was possible.

Now that I’ve had time for the bourbon and afterglow of the game to wear off, here are a few of my thoughts:

As someone who grew up with the late 80?s early 90?s Giant teams, I never in a million years would have expected 500+ passing yards. Truly incredible, and that makes me wonder what Eli could do if he had an elite oline. They held up well, Eli wasn’t sacked once.

Who needs a #3 receiver? It’s pretty clear that the combo of Eli, Nicks, and Cruz will be enough, at least during the regular season. Bennett and his dropsies haven’t been cured.

While I’m nowhere near ready to abandon the call for an improved oline, the more immediate need is in the secondary. Something needs to be done, but what? For those who are calling for a trade, the only way that will happen, is if the Giants are out of it by week 8, in which case you could see NY swap Osi for a younger nickel corner with promise. Highly doubtful, and merely speculative.

Finally, let’s all be happy we’re 1-1 and back in the swing of things. Carolina is a dangerous team, but if NY can come out of this shortened week with a win, they’ll be well prepared to deal with the likes of more athletic QB’s, including Rogers, Vick, and Robert.

4.  F0XLIN says:

I thought Hosley played well on the outside for his first start. Good in coverage, physical in the run game. I assume is Prince was close to playing yesterday, he is a go for Thursday. We really need Webster to snap out of is, looks like he is in mid season 06 form.

Dan,

Stopped by the tailgate but you were already inside, thanks for the free beer and sticker

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I love those damn stickers. They crack me up.

Sorry I missed ya. I was out there from 8 until about 12-12:30. Was running around like a crazy person promoting this, interviewing them, promoting that.

Thanks for stopping by, though!

5.  Dirt says:

This whole thing is so touchy. Yes, it seemed to turn the game around. Yes, it was illegal by the book. No, Jackson didn’t seem impacted by a headshot that the rules are designed to protect against. Yes, Phillips could have hit him in the body instead to remove all doubt. No, scab refs are not calling anything in the secondary as they should. Yes, Phillips made a hit consistent with what’s been put on tape and allowed by league sanctioned refs so far this season, ostensibly making it legal.

All I know is a) real refs throw that flag, and b) we’d be (rightfully) screaming injustice had, say, Barber delivered a hit like that to Nicks with no flag.

6.  JimStoll says:

Orakapo done for the season — torn pec