New York Giants’ Andre Brown Comes up Big as Opportunity Knocks

September 17th, 2012 at 1:19 PM

What can Brown do for you? Well, when it comes to running back Andre Brown filling in for an injured Ahmad Bradshaw, he can tally 90 total yards and a game winning touchdown on 15 touches for the New York Giants.

Going into Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Brown has amassed a grand total of -1 yards rushing on two carries in his NFL career. Not expecting much to change for him in that regard, he was merely looking to make an impact on special teams. However, fate would thrust him into an important role and the fourth-year back out of NC State would not allow it to slip through his fingers.

"I just needed a shot and took advantage of my shot yesterday," Brown said. "I don't think it's closure, though. I think it's a beginning. As far as me just playing in an NFL game and I really contributed to the win we had yesterday. I just think it's the beginning and I'm going to continue to work hard and I'm going to continue to go out there and do whatever coach wants me to do and be ready whenever my number's called."

Brown is no stranger to frustrating trials and tribulations, and he's continued where many before him had given up. A fourth-round pick in 2009, his NFL career was almost immediately derailed after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. He was subsequently released by the Giants and then bounced around for a year until returning to New York in 2011.

He did eventually get himself a ring, but did so while on the practice squad. He also earned himself a four-game suspension for failing to file proper paperwork with the league for his prescribed use of Adderal. Luckily for him, that suspension for overturned or he wouldn't have had his shot on Sunday afternoon.

"I've been waiting for a couple years now," Brown said. "Patience is key. If you let things play out and when your opportunity comes you just have to take advantage of it."

Head coach Tom Coughlin praised Brown on Monday morning, saying he ran very hard and "did well" in Sunday's win. However, he wouldn't go as far as to name him the starter for Thursday's game against the Carolina Panthers … in the event that Bradshaw (neck) is unable to play, of course.

Either way, Brown has earned himself some carries as a solid North-South runner. And even iif Bradshaw returns fully healthy, he's now stolen some carries away (see: earned) from both he and rookie running back David Wilson.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tom Coughlin

132 Responses to “New York Giants’ Andre Brown Comes up Big as Opportunity Knocks”

1 2 3 4

Repost:

TuckThis says:
    September 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    I actually think the 49ers are one of the 2 best teams in the NFL….with or without the replacement refs. Yes, unfortunately the Packers are the other.
    Sorry. That’s my opinion.

Valid says:
    September 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    I’ll take my chances against an Alex Smith-led team.

One thing the 49ers have definitively shown is that they are very tough to beat once they are playing with a lead – as they have been able to do for all of this year so far.

What remains to be seen is how well they will do when forced to play from behind. Can Alex Smith put the team on his back and make plays, especially late in the game when trailing and something more than a game manager QB is needed?

He could not do it last year in the NFCC against the Giants. We still don’t know if that’s changed or not.

GOAT56 says:
    September 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    I agree with Norm. I think the refs do make a difference because finese teams like us, GB, Philly, etc. all have WRs that are difficult to cover with closely called illegal contact rules. I also think SF hasn’t faced any real adversity yet specifically TOs and injuries. SF certainly looks the part through 3 weeks but I think the NFL is far more even than some want to admit. The NFC west looks like it could be very good. And all the teams play with a physical edge that can play SF well.

GB I’m not convinced if you block Mattews that GB’s defense is any good. Mattews basically runined that game for Chicago. They play well from ahead though. They are kind of like those Indy teams.

I don’t know why no one gives Houston its due respect. I were ranking teams they would be my #1 because they can actually be an elite offense and defense with no major holes. Right now I can’t say that about another team.

2.  norm says:

As the long-time leader and drum major of the “Andre Brown Sucks” parade, I feel it’s my appointed duty to note that one game does not a career make.

That said, his performance yesterday vastly exceeded my less-than-modest expectations for him. Here’s hoping that he’s able to keep it going now that DCs around the NFL are aware that the Giants even have a player named “Andre Brown” on the roster and that he can run a little bit if left unaccounted for.

I’m not that far off from you. While I didn’t think he sucked I thought Brown was a JAG. I saw some things that made me think the others were right and he really might be our best back. I have some Cruz thoughts about his out of nowhere perfromance yesterday. I the very least I think he will provide a ballard (out of nowhere) type of pressence for the running game. I look forward to seeing the combo of Brown and Wilson on Thursday.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Norm- Agree 100%, before yesterdays game my perception of Brown was that if he cant beat out DJ freakin ware then he must really suck, and the times he did get carries nothing really flashed on tape, so yes, yesterday was a big day for Mr Brown and i was extremely happy for him.

•  JimStoll says:

if you all remember, coming out of college, Brown was being compared to Rodney Hampton.
        High praise indeed.
        The achilles ended all that perhaps, but there is a reason the Giants brought him back last year and kept him around for this campaign
        a lot of us were arguing that we keep Brown and Scott over one of those guys and Ware
        luckily the team did that
        Brown will start this week and now we shall see what he can bring to the table
        hopefully soon wilson will begin to contribute and that will help Brown further

•  norm says:

Yes, it’s worth pointing out that Brown’s resurgence is really quite unprecedented.

Shortly after Brown ruptured his Achilles, someone here linked to a study published in a medical journal which examined the career production of NFL RBs after returning from Achilles surgery.

The findings of that study were uniformly bleak, essentially saying that no back with a reconstructed Achilles had ever been anything close to what NFL coaches consider effective upon their return to the NFL.

Which is why I remain somewhat jaundiced about Brown’s effectiveness going forward. Yeah, he may be able to keep it up for one game – or even a handful. But to expect him to become the team’s workhorse back is to expect him to do something that I don’t think has ever been done before by an NFL RB returning from a torn Achilles.

I don’t think SF has an elite OL. They are an elite run blocking unit but struggle in pass protection. They usually play from ahead which minimizes their pass blocking struggles. They gave up a ton of sacks last year for being a running team. But Alex Smith does look improved. What’s funny as a player I think Smith is similar to his head coach. A good player but I’m not sure if he’s good enough to win a SB. The way it looks is that SF would have to beat 3 high level QBs to win a SB in the playoffs.

4. Speaking of Brown, I’m not sure what it is…but something seemed to have clicked in the run game yesterday.

Maybe it was the newest configuration of the offensive line. Maybe it was Brown himself. But if Brown and the O-line can do that again on Thursday, well, watch out for the Giants offense.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

He went North and South, not East and West. There was no dancing around.

•  JimStoll says:

absolutely; and he went into the line decisively; got the first 2 yards before contact then dragged for the next 2, 3, 4

•  norm says:

For one thing, the much maligned Baas-Boothe combo really began to click near the end of the first half and started blowing open some huge holes in the middle of the Bucs D. Holes so big that – dare I say it? – Bradshaw himself would have had a difficult time ignoring.

• You guys should give Brown a little credit. The Giants liked him enough to give him a shot after an achilles surgery and a year of bouncing around the league.

And as for the “was never able to beat out DJ Ware” thing. Guess what? He just did.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Hi Simon, It quire possibly could be a mixture of both. I saw some plays where Brown showed patience and waited for holes to open, And I think the O-line started to look better, maybe thats all we needed was a change up and this was the only way to get it on the field, an un fortunate injury. I wish David well and hopes he can come back rested.

5.  Valid says:

What I like about Brown is that he appears to have an all-around game, something we haven’t had in a halfback since Jacobs’ monster 2008 season. He hits the holes quickly and with authority, he has the power to shed defenders, and he accelerates very quickly to the outside.

Unlike Jacobs, however, Brown seems to have pretty good hands, leading me to believe that we might FINALLY be able to get our little Tiki Barber screen back. I’m not saying he is going to do it as well as Tiki did, because Barber was among the best at that, but if he can at least do it adequately, it just adds yet another dimension to our offense.

6.  rlhjr says:

OBSERVATIONS: I hold these truths to be self evident. Your mileage may differ.

1. Frisco is the “Gold Standard” for defense, tackling and running the football. They block and they have plenty of time to throw because of it. Their linebacking crew is among the most if not the most talented and athletic in the game…bar none. They don’t have to change anything on third down. Megatron meant nothing to them last night, just another body to beat up on.
    I don’t care if it’s a passing league or not, 49ers have the stuff to prevail. Their lone adversary is injury. That may well be the only way they are beaten.

2. All together now: SAME OLD COWBOYS. How they were able to beat the Giants….ON THE ROAD is still beyond me. Oh, now I remember our corners, O-line and the “Best Defensive Line” in football (Aside from JPP and Joseph) all SUCK BALLS! At least for now.

3. So much for the Pats running the table. Too bad no one in their division is even as good as Arizona they might even lose another game. Maybe Buffalo can take them. The Jets are a really bad joke.

4. The Giants will have an awful hard time defeating Newton and Griffin this year. Griffin is particularly scary as he is Mike Vick with a brain.
    With a full head of steam, Newton will abuse DB’s and some linebackers.
    He out runs most lineman. And he can throw it very well too. Their option is going to drive Fewell and the D-line craz Thursday. Hopefully Rivers and Boley are ready to play. Newton is physically bigger faster and seemingly as strong as any linebacker on the Giant roster with the possiable exception of Kiwi. Oh he can out run Kiwi, but he is not as strong as the former DE.

5. Given time to throw, and a running game, Eli could take this football team deep into the playoffs yet again. Nicks/Curz! (and soon) Randal will be a three headed monster that teams will have no answer for. Add some Wilson and Brown and look out!

7. If the Giant offensive line can somehow support a consistent running game, they will be able to pass the ball well enough to challenge San Fran. Given the present cast of characters however, that’s a huge ask. But the only chance the Giants have of even sniffing a repeat is with a high functioning O-line. Eli is still at risk of being very seriously hurt vs the likes of San Fran Philly, Dulla$$, Baltimore.

•  norm says:

8. Anyone who can accurately foretell the course of an NFL season just two weeks in should be living in a palatial mansion, somewhere outside of Las Vegas.

7.  norm says:

Also: Welcome aboard, NM Giant!

Does the “NM” stand for New Mexico – or “Near Mint” (an abbreviation very well known to vinyl record collectors such as myself)

At any rate, keep the excellent comments coming. I hope you continue to post early and often.

8.  AdamGmen says:

Can someone tell me wtf has happened to Tuck? Is their an injury I haven’t heard?
    The D-line had no push yesterday, none. Freeman was a statue at times and given the talented QB’s we have coming up, Eli will have to throw for 600 yards to win if something doesnt change.

•  norm says:

Always hard to say with Tuck whether ineffective play is due to physical reasons or some existential crisis.

•  AdamGmen says:

And Osi has really been worse, I think he may have two tackles all year. I understand that he will disappear for weeks on end but than have 5 sacks in two games, but Tuck and Osi have been just plain awful.

9.  ERICHONIUS says:

@rlhjr
    “6. Reese needs to extract his head from his a$$ and select a stud MLB, OG, OT and CB who can actually play. And Mr. Mira needs to have stones enough to pay the kids. This team needs 10 year talents at those positions…..yesterday.”

Yeah, this is all easy to say, but think how many teams have “stud” MLB, OG, OT, and CBs right now? and which of those teams haven’t sucked over the last 10 years in order to have the high draft picks to select them. So how about we go easy on the “Reese needs to extract his head from his a$$” especially with the fact that his draft picks are the most likely reason we have won 2 superbowls in the last 5 seasons.

•  AdamGmen says:

The defensive problems start up front. Thats where the big money guys are. You give any QB the amount of time Freeman had yesterday, they will find someone to throw to…I do care how many stubs you have in the secondary.

I will now feed into everyone’s mistaken impression of me:

I told you so.

I said all along that Brown had talent, that he was a big back who could do things Jacobs couldn’t, that he was excellent as a receiver, that he hits holes quick-and-hard as good running backs who are not Barry Sanders do, and that he could be a bell-cow IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY.

Now, why am I saying “I told you so”? Not because it brings glory to me, because almost all of you have no idea who I am other than some website ghost. But because there’s a lesson to be learned. Do NOT assume that a player who never gets an opportunity isn’t good. Coaches are not perfect, and their decisions in regard to whom to play are not made as objectively as they would have you believe. Guys get cut who shouldn’t be. Guys who play, and start, are sometimes not the right guy but for a variety of reasons are coaches’ favorites (on the Giants the defensive coordinator always wants his “guy” at the MIKE position because he serves as his mind and voice on the field….that’s why Spags wouldn’t let go of Pierce and Fewell sticks with Blackburn even when their deficiencies are apparent).

We don’t know what will happen with Brown, but give him this: he’s a big guy with good speed who makes rapid decisions, hits gaps quickly and runs downhill and north-south and takes a 4-yard gain if that’s what’s there to be had instead of juking around trying to get 40-yards and winding up with 1-yard. He also generally doesn’t get hit in the backfield because he isn’t hesitating and looking while he’s failing to advance, and he doesn’t seem to have any problems looking passes into his hands instead of trying to run before he has secured it.

Whatever happens with Brown, I hope Wilson is watching and recognizing that with this offensive line he needs to hit gaps quickly and THEN look for cutbacks that can get him into the secondary. I don’t want more Bradshaws on the team, even though I respect Ahmad’s toughness and ability. Bradshaw doesn’t fit a drive-blocking O-line, and that’s what the group out there yesterday proved they can do pretty successfully. I was surprised by that, but it’s true. Brown DOES fit a drive-block scheme. Wilson will, I think, fit ANY scheme. Obviously he has started out slowly, but I’m still almost certain we have a star on our hands in him.

•  Hanshi says:

Ok, I have to say something here. I used to read FF55′s post and couldn’t stand all the “I told you so” stuff. But I’ve really changed my mind about that. He is right far more often than he is wrong and if he wants to say “I told you so”, than go ahead… he has every right to. When I haven’t been on G101 for a half a day or so, his posts are some of what I read first to get caught up. I do have to admit that I read the posts of those who disagree with him as well. After all we need a little balance here. Good job FF, you kind of won me over… just don’t say you knew it all the time.

1 2 3 4