September 16th, 2012 at 7:00 AM
By Paul Tierney

New York Giants defensive tackle Marvin Austin has not played a meaningful football game in over two years. After being suspended for his senior season at North Carolna, he missed all of Big Blue's 2011 campaign with a torn pectoral muscle. To exacerbate his injury woes, Austin missed a majority of the team's preseason with back issues. However, tomorrow may be the first time we get to see the team's 2011 second-round pick in regular season action.

While Austin remains a game time decision, his return would provide quality depth to a defensive line that struggled to either stop the run, or create a consistent pass rush in Week one. While it would be unfair to expect meaningful production from a guy who has been out of football for so long, it's just good to have Marvin Austin back on the field again.

“You take it for granted,” said Austin. “You’re like, ‘I’m going to be in the league. I’m going to be this, I’m going to be that.’ You think too much of yourself, and that’s what it was. I was humbled.”

It may not be such a bad thing for a player with documented character issues to be humbled in his first years in the NFL. While Austin will only going to get better on the field by playing, he's definitely had to learn his place so far during his short career. Despite being a talented player, he fell to the wayside last season as the Giants marched to a Super Bowl title.

“Nobody talks to you, there aren’t any cameras, there aren’t any people wanting to talk to you,” Austin said. “You got to really look into yourself and ask yourself, ‘What are you doing it for? Why do you play?’?I just make sure I keep everything in perspective.”

That likely won't change against Tampa Bay. With Linval Joseph and Rocky Bernard each playing well, Marvin Austin will struggle for playing time in Week two. Furthermore, 2012 seventh-round pick Markus Kuhn may also see time ahead of Austin.

However, the only way Marvin Austin will ever fit into the Giants plans is if he steps on the field. He can not get better by watching from the sideline. So it should be interesting to see what decision head coach Tom Coughlin makes as the team makes its final preparations for Tampa Bay.

Tags: Football, Linval Joseph, Markus Kuhn, Marvin Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rocky Bernard, Super Bowl, Tom Coughlin

24 Responses to “New York Giants’ Marvin Austin Could Make NFL Debut Against Tampa Bay Buccaneers”

1.  percellovesgiants says:

I sure hope this guy dont turn out to be a bust.

2.  kujo says:

Can someone explain to me how me banging GmenFan’s sister would result in retarded nieces and nephews? I get the assumption belying the insult–Kujo’s retarded, so his offspring will also be retarded–but I’m a little shady on the logic (since, ya know, being retarded isn’t something that is passed down via the genes, and is instead an abnormality). Unless GmenFan is my long lost brother, in which case banging his sister would be incest, which has been known to result in some of the same genetic abnormalities under question.

But then again, I’m probably giving more thought to this than I should, considering the source of the insult didn’t understand the reference being made with my eclair-in-trash comment. I never said that I knew more about football than Jerry Reese, but instead pointed out that he has thus far shown a preference for high value expenditures at a few positions–WR, DE, DT, CB, QB–while favoring low-cost high reward prospects in lower rounds and via free agency–OL, TE, LB, RB (until this year). In other words, there are positions where Reese looks at the trash heap and tries to find an unbesmirched eclair, a jewel scattered amongst the detritus material known as undrafted and unrestricted free agency. That’s a fact, and the reference comes from Seinfeld.

Again, I don’t know what your problem is with me, but I would think that you would have more ammo to lob at this snot-nosed retard other than baseless accusations. This is a sports blog. We express opinions here. You are free (and encouraged) to disagree. But being a deuchebag and not even having the grace to present an argument just makes you a troll. Man up and argue with me.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

U two hom0′s still going at it?

•  Dirt says:

I’m not sure free agents are low cost. Baas was signed for 5 years, $27.5M (which is more than Andrew Luck got as the #1 pick). In fact, if you include McKenzie as a high cost guy (which he was in ’05), Reese took the field in 2011 with 4 of 5 Olinemen being high cost guys – 2 expensive free agent types and 2 2nd round draft picks.

•  Dirt says:

Sorry, misread your post about free agents being low cost. But, still, he’s had high cost guys there.

•  kujo says:

Nah I just worded it strangely.

The “cost” was more about draft capital then contract size. You were right to point out Snee and Baas.

•  kujo says:

I’m not gonna get into this on game day but suffice to say that Reese did not build that line; Accorsi did. THIS line is his. His draft picks, his free agents and his veterans.

Bitching about this is for the week of the game, not Sunday. I’m hoping our sh-t OL destroys the Bucs today!

•  James Stoll says:

Let’s just hope we play well today and in

•  Dirt says:

Absolutely they were Accorsi’s guys. But they were still high cost guys. And unless the delta of acquiring another high cost guy is greater than the delta at other positions, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to make a move. I think the McKenzie drop off caught him off guard. I think Dumpster Fire Diehl makes blame for Reese legit.

I’d also point out that we believe the bargain basement has paid off at LB. Well, Boley was a pricey FA, and Kiwi was a #1, so really only 1 position was the eclair on the trash heap, but it seems to have worked.

I think he’ll get it turned around.

•  rlhjr says:

It’s like catching VD from a toilet seat dude…………….LMAO

Hmmm, obviously I, happily, missed some nasty stuff around here.

So here’s my update for today. Giants will NOT lose this game. I wake up this morning to find that Kansas State (my wonderful wife is a Kansas girl) wins despite not playing their best, and Stanford dominates USC and beats the hell outta them everywhere but on the scoreboard, where they only win by a single TD but still prove to all that they are a very solid team even without Luck. Yankees finally have a win based on good pitching and timely hitting. I even made a very good real estate deal this week. So, nope, things on the sports and other fronts are just going too well for the Giants to come out and blow a game they HAVE to have. It would screw up the order of the universe, which has decided to smile upon me this week for some unknown reason for which I am grateful.

•  kujo says:

Whatever you missed, I missed it too.

I made an assumption based on your comment above. I have no idea what happened and don’t really want to know. I don’t mind tossing “guy insults” back-and-forth around here but if it gets personal that’s more than I want to see.

•  kujo says:

I don’t mind it either. I’m as confused about this spat as you are.

•  demo3356 says:

Her’s what you missed FF55Yrs
          kujo says:
          September 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM
          Hey G-menFan!

Did I bang your sister? Are you David Diehl’s agent? Or did I do something that I don’t remember, because there was nothing in my last comment that warranted your jerkish comment.

G-MenFan says:
          September 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM
          My issue with you is this little gem, ” so we will continue to watch him suck until Reese finds an eclair on one of the various trash heaps he scours year in and year out for players at positions he doesn’t deem worthy in his vaunted BPA equation.”

As if you know more about football than Jerry Reese. LMFAO at you.

And no, you did not bang my sister. None of my nieces or nephews are retarded.

Personally I think it was hysterical and I;m glad to see I’m not the only one tired of Princess Meatlockers pot shots at our fantastic GM.. Good for Gmen Fan. Dont let the little load mouth push you around bro:-)

•  kujo says:

First, I’ll never be able to shake the feeling of discomfort and nausea at reading an emoticon in one of Demo’s posts.

Second, what pot shot did I take at Reese here? I said Diehl sucked (he does) and that Reese is likely to continue to abide by his philosophy of developing low round picks along the OL, and acquiring inexpensive veteran talents to bolster and compete with the draft picks, or eclairs. I happen to disagree with this approach, but describing it for what it is isnt a potshot.

Third, I’m pretty sure you just got confused, since the word “potshot” is so similar to “potsticker,” and the thought of food sent you into a semi-orgasmic rage. I understand your limitations, bro. This is a safe place. Don’t feel embarrassed.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I turned off the USC game last night by the fights were starting. But watched most of it, and came to two conclusions, 1. Matt barkely isn’t that guy. 2. USC isn’t that good. They nearly blew a game to ‘Cuse last weekend. And Cuse had stony brook hanging with them all game yesterday. Stanford played well enough to win for the most part. They have some nice d-line pieces that won the game.

•  Dirt says:

That was pisspoor coaching by Kiffen last night at the end as well. For sure, a team like USC should have some sick blockers up front, but the Stanford DL ate them up at the end. However, it’s on the coaches to give them help, and they instead chose to send 5 guys deep. Don’t matter if you send 50 guys deep if your QB is on your back.

Speaking of, Killdrive, today… How about we keep your QB off his back.

4.  James Stoll says:

I watched a little of the Bucs game last week and on D they were obviously great against the run, but they also put a lot of pressure on Cam, especially in the first half. They looked fast

Hold your noses

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Off to the stadium! Let’s go bluuuuuuuue!!!!!!!!!

6.  Dirt says:

Interesting this NFL Network piece on the no huddle offense. Like how defenses (and the Giants offensive coaches) hate it.

After all, you wouldn’t want to take advantage of defenses who haven’t gotten in game shape under the CBA restrictions.

•  rlhjr says:

Funny how since Eli first became #1 QB the hurry up has been his best mode of operation. Simply because he has the brains to run it well, and (now) has the weapons to hurt defenses with it.

It is also typical to expect the Giants offensive guru’s to totally ignore this fact.

Just like the defensive staff is ignorant as to what JPP unleashed can do to any offensive unit in the league. And just in case Kujo and Sam are reading:

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A POSITION CHANGE FOR JPP. I AM NOW AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN ADVOCATING MAKING THE OFFENSE ACCOUNT FOR HIS ELEMENTAL TALENT. I DONT CARE IF HE WAS 390, (Actually 280) THE KID MOVES LIKE AN INSECT.

HE CAN BE MOVED BETWEEN DE/DT and LB and simply wreck an OFFENSE.
      AND HE WILL FREE UP OTHER DEFENDERS BECAUSE THE OFFENSE HAS TO ACCOUNT FOR HIM. AGAIN, WAKE UP! THE GIANTS WILL BE BETTER THAN WHAT THEY ARE NOW WHEN THEY START THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.

And that goes for both sides of the ball.