September 13th, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Like any good brother, New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett isn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of going head-to-head with his older sibling this Sunday when Big Blue takes on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But the NFL has a way of throwing mental and physical roadblocks at athletes, which only the best are able to overcome. Accordingly, each Bennett brother, both Michael and Martellus, are prepared to face each other on the gridiron. Again.

“This week, I’ve already told him that, ‘Hey, we’ve got to suck it up and go at each other,’ ” Martellus said. “It’ll be fun, and we’ll just see who comes out on top. If I win, he’s got to buy me something nice. And if he wins, vice versa.”

In their last meeting, while Martellus was still with the Dallas Cowboys, he swapped blocking assignments with Jason Witten so he didn't have to face his brother – fearing one may injury the other. He will not be afforded that same luxury this weekend, and the two will have no choice but t do battle.

“It’s probably frustrating to be the defending champions and to lose,” Michael Bennett said. “They want to come back and play strong like any other team would. It should be a hard-fought game. [Martellus] had a big game, and he’s very focused on the season. It should be a good game.”

Another thing Martellus will certainly not do on Sunday is cheer his brother in the event he gets a sack. He's done that once before when Michael brought down Tony Romo, but at 0-1 and facing a disastrous start, being excited over the sack of his own teammate, two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, is not likely in the cards. It was fun once, but that time has come and gone.

“I was on the sidelines and I was like, ‘Yeah! Good sack! Good sack!’” Martellus recalled. “Then I turned around [and yelled] ‘Somebody block that MF-er, man, what y’all doing out there?!’ ”

In 35 career games, Michael has seven sacks, including one last week against the Carolina Panthers. It will be part of Martellus' job to ensure he doesn't get number eight on Sunday.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Eli Manning, Football, Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett, Michael Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tony Romo

30 Responses to “New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett Ready to Shut Down Brother, Michael, on Sunday”

Looks like the Giants are treating Sunday’s game just as I am: a must-win. When only Ojomo and the two PUP players are missing from practice despite plenty of serious dings from which players are still trying to heal, it’s pretty obvious that Coughlin has made it clear that it’s “All hands on deck”. Good. That indicates a level of intention that this team needs after a really poor performance to open the season.

And I am completely with Coughlin. Things could go south quickly for the Giants if they don’t make a big effort over the next week (that’s right, in just a week they will have played two games). It’s time for the players and the trainers to stop coddling those who aren’t positive they can go 100%. If they cannot let the coaches decide whether to take them off the field. If someone can aggravate an injury, too bad. It’s football. It happens. These are two very big, winnable, games. Then there’s 10 days off before they have to play the Eagles. Players can heal over those ten days. Right now it’s “go time.”

•  jfunk says:

Quite frankly, only going 3-1 will even begin to slow the momentum of the sky is falling movement.

Should we be 2-2 in a couple weeks, regardless of who those wins come against, the outlook will be just as bleak to most as it is today.

2-2 would be fine, provided they play competitively over the course of those games. But throw in another two half-hearted efforts and lose both games to go 1-3 for the first quarter of the season and there will be really good cause for concern on the part of anyone with a brain. Even that COULD be recovered from, but anyone betting on it would be hoping rather than basing their belief on any evidence other than “we did it last year”, which is absolutely irrelevant when you’ve had a 30% turnover on the roster.

•  Chad Eldred says:

They could theoretically recover from 1-3, but the historical difference of making the playoffs is huge when going to from 2-2 to 1-3. I’m not going to attempt to quote the numbers because I honestly don’t remember the specific numbers. But I do know that it was brought up on Sirius by Jim Miller last year early in the season and the difference is drastic. The most dramatic difference was between starting 0-2 and 0-3. Teams can lost their first two and bounce back, but losing your first 3 and bouncing back to make the playoffs is against huge odds.

I understand numbers but the thing is there’s always a first. We were the first 9-7 team to win the SB. It’s always better to do things the easy way but this team has too much talent for me to think they are dead until we are official eliminated. I learned that from last year and this year’s team has more talent.

2.  rlhjr says:

It would be nice if they had a DT rotation to lean on. It would also be good to set up the run with the pass this time. Every time to be honest.

If the O-line can get a hat on someone, then counter and influence plays could help get Wilson going, and Bradshaw too. One of these units (offense or defense) will have to be the catalyst for the entire team to rise up.

Someone has to step up and become an on-field, physical/emotional leader.
    Eli is going to do his thing. However, is anyone else up to the task?
    I think there are a few on defense who could. However, without Jacobs, who will standup for the offense? Bradshaw, Bennett, Cruz?

Sean Locklear will start at LT for the #Giants on Sunday.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

55- your pretty football savvy, you ever coach?

Nothing beyond peewee football and youth soccer and basketball. And I played quarterback through high school (wasn’t good enough for college ball). But when you’ve watched carefully for as long as I have even an idiot picks up a few things along the way!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Not at all. My grandfather and Uncle coached for years in the bronx. They have 4 PSAL City Championships and One NY State Championship.

You seem to know a ton bout the in and outs of the game that’s why i asked.

Nice family history there. And thanks for the compliment. It’s basically a combination of having learned a LOT when I played (I was interested in every position on the team, not just being under center), having observed an awful lot, knowing a number of people who have been involved with the league since I was a kid, and a bit of intelligence along with a dose of common sense.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

My Uncle doesn’t coach anymore but he actually works with the NFL. he’s the Director of the youth football program.

•  LUZZ says:

I don’t see how a high school playing career provides any insight at all into today’s NFL. I was a HS QB as well, and I can say that other than the shape of the ball, the game we played at that level has nothing in comparison to the game the NFL is playing today. Now I’m 38 and this is true, I’m guessing you are in your mid-60′s since your handle has been FF55 for over 5 years now. I can’t see how your wing T, wishbone, or power I offense from the 50′s gives you any insight to what Eli is doing out there.

I’m not trying to insult you. You do seem to know a lot, but it has to be from another knowledge source than your high school harry days.

Okay, I’m lying. I’m actually Tom Coughlin and all that nonsense that I spend all my time preparing the team is just a smokescreen for my real job of informing a select group of fans what they really need to know.

But, even though I am Tom Coughlin (which explains everything) I would suggest that even “way back in the mid-60′s” some high school teams played more of a “pro-style” game, especially if in front of the quarterback was a guy who eventually became one of the Redskin “Hogs” and was capable of knocking down anyone who thought he could get to the quarterback, therefore allowing a relatively mediocre QB who WAS a good athlete, enough time to find multiple receivers to whom the ball could be thrown.

I’d also suggest that a LOT of the fundamentals (blocking techniques, tackling techniques, defensive positioning against receivers, pass patterns and how to maximize separation) are not ALL that different today.

Having said that, if I WERE just a fan (and being Tom Coughlin I am much more than that) I would make use of the above experience, a lot of close observation, and some acquaintances (ranging from Allie Sherman to Frank Gifford and Kyle Rote, to some staff from the Harbaugh days at Stanford, a few Tisches now) plus a large dose of common sense and at least a bit of intelligence to make what I hoped were insightful observations about the Giants.

But of course, being their coach, I needn’t depend upon any of that. I KNOW what my plans are for the team.

5.  LUZZ says:

If Fewel rushes only 4 and drops 7 for the whole game, we will let up 20 3rd down conversions and be in a tight one.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Luzz, and thoughts on the game tonight?

GB -5.5.

might scout it out and make a play at the half if it makes sense.

•  LUZZ says:

I’m with you. I’m a half player too.

If I had to play this game tonight i would take the Bears and points. I have major concerns about the GB defense, plus their whining about the refs is a bad sign. bears are hungry this year, i think.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

The way that the 9er’s torched the Gb secondary, makes me think that Cutler is gonna have a field day. I’m actually considering starting Alshon Jefferies instead of Stevie Johnson this week.

But yeah, I think the Bears are winning the division.

I would be surprised if chicago scores less than 30. I don’t see why GB is favorite by so much. This is an even game with GB -3 due to the home field. I like Chicago because they can score and they have always played Rodgers tough.

Flowers the CB from KC still isn’t 100% though he will likely play. Stevie Johnson is a much safer bet though Jefferies has some real upside. His issue is that Bennett and Hester still get a lot of snaps so he’s not clearly even the #2 WR right now.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

Another thing that I just thought about is DJ Ware playing for the bucs. Perhaps he will provide more insight on our offense then both Sully and Sherridan?

7.  kujo says:

Does any one think the teams in the NFL doesn’t know wha plays we are running? Who cares of Sully and Ware and that schlub Sheridan have knowledge of our scheme? Talk about worrying over nothing.

Not when we call them. Today’s NFL is mainly about deception. If for some reason TB knew a play were coming it would hurt us. No I highly doubt Ware or anyone else has that type of insight. My concern is more knowing our favoite type of play in a clutch moment. It’s not going to be a big difference but in a close game something small they know could hurt.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Actually, no ones worrying but it’s more that they’ll provide insight to the defense.

Anyone can predict Gilrbide’s offense.

•  Samardzija says:

I thought the general consensus around here was that his offense was too complicated? Now its easily predictable? Guess that explains why we are always a bottom ten offense…