New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara Still Eyeing Week Two Return

September 7th, 2012 at 6:30 AM

With Michael Coe now dealing with what he calls a "minor" hamstring injury, the once deep cornerback position for the New York Giants is currently a shallow pool with floundering remains. But help may be on the way. Although he's not begun running yet, Prince Amukamara says he's been able to "hop" on his injured ankle and remains hopeful for a week two return against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"It feels a lot better," Amukamara said. "I've been hopping on it a little bit. You know, when you have an injury, you try to hop on it just to do stuff to see if you can do stuff. You can [do more] today than you could the other day. That's how I know I'm progressing."

But is he progressing fast enough? Head coach Tom Coughlin indicated on Thursday that he's not nearly as optimistic about the early return as Prince is, and that the young cornerback may still be a ways away.

Still, Amukamara feels the urgency. The Giants are dangerously thin at cornerback, and he knows they need him out there playing like the first-rounder that he is. Then again, he also knows he can't rush it and set himself -and his team- back any further.

“Of course the natural feeling is to feel that sense of urgency, that sense of pressure. But I know that I’m just worried about the things that I can control," Amukamara said. “If there was a magic pill to take to be healed, I would."

In the event that both Coe and Amukamara are unable to play next Sunday, Justin Tryon would get the start opposite of Corey Webster, with Jayron Hosley playing nickel.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Michael Coe, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tom Coughlin

10 Responses to “New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara Still Eyeing Week Two Return”

If Justin “Slant” Tryon gets the start then I’m really going to worry.

•  turkish says:

Not snagging Hanson off of waivers was a costly mistake. I’m not even that confident in Prince when/if he comes back.

2.  turkish says:

David Diehl needs to play LG or ride the pine. Flat out awful run blocker at T and a complete liability in pass protection. I mention LG just to give him a shot somewhere on the line, but he looks worse than he was last season (which is pretty bad).

3.  JimStoll says:

one of you super smart football guys explain why they leave Tryon at corner and play Hosely at nickel

I wondered that too. I’m assuming it’s because he’s a rook, and may not have all the coverages down yet.

•  Emperor Norton says:

When Coe went down on Wednesday, Fewell switched up most of the coverage–he’d been running a Cover 2 for most of the day, but moved to primarily man coverage when he didn’t have corners who knew the defense well. It obviously didn’t work very well (though part of me wonders why he wasn’t pressing his corners at the line, since Romo was diagnosing every blitz he called and tore us apart with short routes underneath), but he obviously has calls in his playbook that are made for man coverage. There ain’t much to man coverage. Stick with your guy, try not to get turned around, be aware of what side the deep safety is on. Hosley might not be a Rhodes scholar, but he can certainly get that part down. And I’d rather a slightly-confused Hosley than Tryon who knows the playbook.

4.  percellovesgiants says:

I was more worried about corey slant webster, bryant abused him, before olgletree did.

5.  rlhjr says:

Princess won’t be back for a month if that. If he’s not running on that ankle right now, there is no way he’s coming back soon. And again, when she gets back what in the hell is she going to do curtsey or cover?

6.  JimStoll says:

thankfully we have Tampa in 10 days
    that should get us healthy
    then we get Carolina and Cam Newton or no Cam Newton eli should feast on that defense and we should be 2-1 heading into Philly
    hopefully by then we’ll have better cohesion on the O-Line (don’t ask me how) and the D will begin to hit its stride

7.  wrdag says:

Nice comment by Stuh: The team fell apart in the second half. Dallas offensive line was in disaray and the Giants couldn’t take advantage.JPP was double teamed most of thegame and yet he outplayed the invisble Tuck and Osi.

I know the great Leonard Marshall and what he always told me that drove him every week was that if LT was getting doubled and he was singled it was a huge point of pride that he get to the QB. Tuck n Osi need to get the job done if they are only singled up.
    In their defense I will admit that Romo was once again showcasing his amazing ” spider senses” in the pocket. He must have eyes in the back of his head and when he does escape he makes you pay. Normally I would say well that’s just a Dallas issue but we all know that Vick is as talented or better in that regard.
    As long time NYG fans has this been a curse or what for decades that we have faced these nightmare elusive QB’s
    Romo