New York Giants’ Michael Coe Suffers Hamstring Injury in Loss to Dallas Cowboys

September 6th, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Adding injury to insult, the New York Giants not only lost their season opener to the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday night, but they may have lost cornerback Michael Coe for an extended period of time as well.

After breaking up a potential touchdown pass to wide receiver Kevin Ogletree in the third quarter, Coe took himself out of the game after experiencing some pain and weakness in his hamstring. Shortly after being tended to by senior vice president of medical services Ronnie Barnes, head coach Tom Coughlin received the bad news: Coe is done for the game.

“I didn’t feel like I could run after that last play in the end zone,” Coe said. “I felt like I could have picked it off but couldn’t really push off my legs like I wanted to, so I just came out.”

With Terrell Thomas (knee) and Brian Witherspoon (knee) already out for the season, and Prince Amukamara (ankle) inactive, the Giants had to rely on Justin Tryon to step up and fill the gap. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to slow the furious Cowboys aerial attack down, giving up a 34-yard touchdown to Miles Austin on a 1st-and-30 that all but sealed a Dallas victory.

Safety Antrel Rolle wasn't interested in using secondary injuries as an excuse for the futility displayed on Wednesday night.

“As a secondary, we have to definitely hold our own,” Rolle said. “When those one-on-one match-ups present themselves, you have to make those plays and get a little bit right in our technique.”

Coe will undergo some additional tests on Friday to determine the extent of the damage and a timetable on his return.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Brian Witherspoon, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Justin Tryon, Kevin Ogletree, Michael Coe, Miles Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas, Tom Coughlin

45 Responses to “New York Giants’ Michael Coe Suffers Hamstring Injury in Loss to Dallas Cowboys”

1 2 3
  1. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Lots to talk about after this game, but I want to say thank you to the legions of readers who showed up at the tailgate yesterday to show their support and love for G101. That was a truly surreal experience. I had no idea the sites was loves as much as it is.

•  njm0m says:

We love you guys and I would think you would understand that by now. We may slow down on posting and visiting a thousand times a day, but we come back when the season is in full swing again and the kids are back to school.

Now if only they won last night going to bed at 1 and being up at 7 wouldn’t have hurt so bad.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It was crazy. CRAZY. Can’t even explain it.

I got to meet Terrence T, too. He’s a cool dude. I gotta fix his account today so he can get back on here.

2.  Dirt says:

Kujo,

You may have watched a slightly different game than I did. If defensive captain Justin Tuck tackles Murray in the backfield for a 5 yard loss like he should have, Murray’s sitting at 78 yards on the night, or 3.9/carry. He didn’t torch them all night, but absolutely and certainly on that play.

As TroyThorne I believe pointed out, Webster’s getting beat was key. They were playing even, really, outside of that Murray run and the two Webster plays. They we’re doing the textbook “don’t let their best 3 receiving options beat us” and generally containing the run. Webster getting beat by Bryant was a backbreaker, and Webster getting played by Ogletree was gross misconduct. (The other corners of course added to this, but that could have been expected.)

Oh, and when you watch the DVR of that 2nd Ogletree TD – I’m not sure if NBC graphics have a lag, but the playclock was sitting at 0 during the snap. No one’s talking about it, but when you add in the Cruz hold, I’m giving 10 points to the refs. The replacmement, scab NAIA refs.

I’m not happy, but I’m realizing that a rusty looking team played a division rival to a one score loss. As I think about it, this reminds me of a post-bye week effort that we’ve seen from these guys, which is fitting given last week’s 1-2 drive walkthrough from the 1s.

The issues have been highlighted, some will be corrected, some will linger. But they’ll produce better than this going forward.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Three times last night the playclock was sitting at 0 for the Cowboys and no call was made. The fans were losing their minds.

I haven’t watched the tape yet, but were the referees as bad as they appeared to be?

All I kept thinking was “Man oh man, Kujo was spot on about this o-line. I’ve tried to avoid his line of thought, but I can’t anymore.”

•  njm0m says:

Yes Dan they were that bad. I won’t go as far as to the blame them for the loss because the Giants did have opportunities, but as Dirt said at least ten points are def. on the refs. Between the holding that wasn’t called and the play clock it was just bad.

•  Levito says:

Sure the clock was down to zero, but its’s not like the Giants still didn’t give up plays in big spots and fail to make plays when they needed to.

The Giants had 3 chances to score a TD starting inside the 2 and they bounced 2 runs outside.
        They had to stop Romo from completing a 3rd and 12 to get the ball back and not lose the game and they play a soft defense with Tuck in coverage (in all fairness it’s not like he did much rushing the QB anyway)
        They had a chance to stop Murray on a 5 yard loss and instead let him run 70 yards. Game and momentum changer right there.
        Cruz dropped 4 3rd down passes to stall drives.

Refs missed a lot of calls, sure. But the Giants blew more opportunities.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The Giants were ****. Don’t get me wrong. But that shouldn’t give the refs a pass. They threw a flag on Eli for delay of game when the clock was at 2 seconds, yet Romo was at 0 three times and no call. Two obvious PI that weren’t called and TWICE they called false start against the defense.

On that huge Cowboys run, Kiwi (I believe) was literally tackled from behind by an offensive lineman. No call.

•  Levito says:

I give the Cowboys some credit there. They knew what they could get away with. Coughlin refuses to bend the rules. But you have to know that with these refs, it’s easy to get away with things when the game is moving quickly. A little extra contact downfield an extra grab of a D lineman…these things are hard to see when there’s bodies flying all over the place.

Don’t get me wrong, I was pissed at the refs too. But like I just said in a post a few lines down, if the Giants played better, bad calls wouldn’t matter. The calls were way worse in GB in January, but the Giants flat outplayed the Packers and the bad calls didn’t matter.

•  Dirt says:

No argument here. The offense didn’t show up (until it was too late, because that’s their trademark).

But rules are rules. And when a QB has extra time to digest coverage, he can make plays. Not saying that’s why Webster was beat at all, but, c’mon man, this is a society, we have rules!

3.  Dirt says:

I will point out that whilst the Cowboys offensive decision makers were busy getting fat off of untested Giants cornerbacks, the Giants could not be bothered to get fat off of Cowboys untested cornerbacks.

Good to see a screen pass not ever called against aggressive press man coverage as well. You know that Rob Ryan’s such a softie, you’d never find his coverage in an overly aggressive position to exploit.

4.  Levito says:

I’m tired of blaming the refs. These refs were bad, yep. Just as bad as the refs which tried to give the game away to the Packers in January. Did it matter back then? No, because the Giants out executed and outplayed the Packers for 4 quarters back then.

Last night the Cowboys were still called for 14 (I think) penalties. No team should get called for that many penalties and still be in the game. It just really shows how poorly the Giants played. They had no business being within a TD at the end, they were flat out dominated. Outside of JPP and the linebackers, nobody played well at all. Eli was fine, minus a few slightly off throws. But other than those guys, they all stunk. Cruz had his worst game as a Giant, and Osi and Tuck stunk up the joint.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Who is blaming the refs? Pointing out their futility doesn’t mean they’re being blamed (plenty of that to go around), but ignoring their gaffes would be like ignoring the mess on the OL, Webster’s piss-poor game, the bad decision to play cushion on the 3-and-12 in the 4th, etc. ALL of these things are cumulative, and the replacements refs and their mess shouldn’t be ignored.

Yeah, they did suck. It’s too bad the other refs quit. Crazy … someone leaving a $150,000 part-time fun job. Sounds incredible. But they did.

•  Levito says:

All I’m saying is that if you don’t play well enough, you leave it up to the refs to decide the game. The Giants did just that. The refs are only human, and they’re not the usual guys out there (not that the usual refs are any better). It’s just a part of this sport, and it’s been that way for its entire existence. If the Giants play better in ANY facet of the game (you name it because they stunk everywhere), the bad calls don’t matter. In the long run, the calls should, in theory, balance out.

One game does not a season make. Even in the best of times we’re going to lose 5 or so times. A lot can … and will … be fixed.

But some things were disturbing … and for me it was mostly the two Fs … focus and fitness.

The intensity level was low. They looked like they were going through the motions. No fire in their bellies. Hanging their heads like dogs. That’s not how I want to lose.

And by the fourth quarter we were the team gasping for air. Some of those plays that worked against us were the result of bad conditioning. Our guys gassed out. The Cowboys had more in their tanks … and it showed.

Superbowl hangover? Distractions? Do we miss Jacobs’ anger and rage? WTF is going on?

6.  Dirt says:

I just watched the entrance from the tunnel for the defending champs to conclude the “ceremony”. Flat. I wonder if they’re been tempered too much? It IS ok to have a little swagger after you win it all! These turkeys just trotted out there like a damn preseason game.

Yeah, a real low intensity vibe. I don’t envy Tom Coughlin … trying to motivate this bunch. They looked awfully content to me.

7.  F0XLIN says:

They also threw a flag when there was 12 men on the field prior to the ball being snapped, even though there was still 12 men on the field. The penalty can’t be called until snapped, so they had to pick it up.

8.  giantsfan says:

It wasn’t an AWFUL game. Neither team looked incredible. Both looked like they were playing their first game of the season. Was a little disappointed with our pass rush and schemes.

I am pretty sure Deon Grant will be returning REAL soon.

9.  James Stoll says:

Again guys, what we saw last night is no different than any other Coughlin team over the past 8 years. One week up, the next down. TC produces incredibly frustrating erratic teams. It is one reason why he is over-rated as a head coach.
    And it is one reason why our players are over-rated. If you can’t consistently get up and play that well then you are not as good as your talent on your best days suggests you can be.
    We are a .500 team give or take. We will struggle to make the playoffs. If we do and get motivated then we can be the best. But getting there will be a frustrating up and down battle with plenty of downs and really bad play ahead.

10.  kinsho says:

I’m worried that this will be a repeat of 2011. Granted, 2011 ultimately ended well, but it was still a hellish roller coaster ride. We lose our first game to a divisional rival, our running game is dead on arrival, and Victor Cruz is dropping passes left and right.

But on a more positive note, if losing national games like these can help us quickly tap into that same mentality that propelled us to the Super Bowl, I don’t think we’ll have much to worry about outside of the running game.

And on that note, I remember a couple years ago that Chinese zookeepers were trying to get a couple pandas to mate by showing them a video of other pandas getting it on. How about we adopt that same strategy and show our offensive line what holes are supposed to look like?

1 2 3