New York Giants’ Sean Locklear Will Start at Left Tackle Against Dallas Cowboys

September 3rd, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Although projected starting left tackle Will Beatty (back) is said to be improving and has participated in practice on a limited basis each of the last two days, Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger reports that veteran Sean Locklear will get the starting nod on Wednesday night against the Dallas Cowboys.

"Sean is playing very well, so he’s been really as good as anybody we've had," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said on Sunday.

After struggling early in training camp and specifically against the Chicago Bears in week three of the preseason, Locklear has, in his own words, gotten much more comfortable with both the offense and the playbook.

“I’m prepared. I was hesitant with things but now I feel like with the more practice I’ve gotten, the more comfortable I feel," he said. "I think I’ve advanced [since the Chicago game]. That was the third preseason game and we’ve gotten numerous amount of practices there. I said before I was probably like 90 percent aware of the playbook but now I feel like I’ve got a grasp of it, especially now we’re in game weeks and the playbook is kind of cut down on the things you’re going to do for certain games."

For the sake of quarterback Eli Manning, the team had better hope Locklear does have a full grasp on things. While the Cowboys' defensive scheme isn't overly complicated, they do have a lot of talent along their front seven and have historically done a good job at getting to Manning. DeMarcus Ware in particular has had success (10.5 sacks in 14 career games) against Big Blue's tackles – most notably David Diehl, who will now be starting at right tackle.

For Will Beatty, there remains optimism that he'll be active on Wednesday night and able to see action in a reserve role. Barring any setbacks, it's likely he'll re-assume the starting role in week two against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, David Diehl, DeMarcus Ware, Eli Manning, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Locklear, Will Beatty

29 Responses to “New York Giants’ Sean Locklear Will Start at Left Tackle Against Dallas Cowboys”

Locklear is a solid pro. He was eased out of both Seattle and Washington because both teams had used drafts to get what they consider top young tackles and Locklear was too expensive to carry as a backup. He was very good in Seattle and never really got a chance to play much for the Skins. He has been through the wars and can’t be what he once was, but just like David Diehl, he will be pretty dependable and while getting beaten once in awhile, will more than hold his own.

I loved the acquisition. I thought he played reasonably well in preseason while learning Flaherty’s approach (although I only saw snatches of the Bears game on tape, where I guess he struggled a bit). And guess what? We don’t have a top tackle around who can nudge him out of the way at the moment. Until Beatty is playing every week and playing well, Locklear is one of our two top options.

I think he will get beaten a couple of times by Ware, but so would Beatty at his best (and most other tackles in the NFL). The key is Eli sensing Ware and getting rid of the ball safely.

Once Beatty is back to relatively full health having Locklear SHOULD push Diehl hard (not that he needs to be pushed….the guy is an animal for work and knows he’s always competing for his job), but in any case gives us the luxury of three “pretty good” tackles with the hope that Brewer becomes better than that and Beatty can become so too.

2.  The Original G Man says:

GIANTT says:
    September 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    You may feel for Petrus but bringing him back was a little more than a knee jerk reaction and panic time . If there had been anyone else out there that the Giants could have picked up Im sure that they would have . To me , the fact that they brought him back tells me he is safe for a while .

The Original G Man says:
    September 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    Huh? If there is anything the Giants are not … it’s an organization that makes knee jerk reactions or panices.

GIANTT says:
    September 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    what I said ?

•  The Original G Man says:

Unless I’m not reading you right, it looks like you’re saying that the Giants made a knee jerk decision out of panic in resigning Petrus.

I’m saying they are not a team that panics or makes knee jerk moves.

3.  demo3356 says:

FF55yrs- hat DB you were thinking of from 2007 playoffs was Geoffrey Pope

4.  demo3356 says:

I think the message hear to Beatty is stop being a **** or we will find someone else to take your job.

5.  The Original G Man says:

@JayGlazer
    Bears are releasing DT Brian Price today.

Wow. That guy must be a total mess.

•  demo3356 says:

indeed, he was supposed to be a stud coming out of UCLA.. Wasn’t Norm driving the draft Brian Price bus here on G101 a few years ago?

•  kujo says:

Yep. In fact, I could be mistaken, but that’s the first “bus” I remember being specifically mentioned around here.

•  BillyS says:

I wanted the Giants to draft Price in the worst way. When he slipped into the 2nd round I wanted them to trade up for him. He just looked like a stud, however, now he doesn’t seem to be the same player — or person. Apparently he’s still having a hard time adjusting after his sister was killed in a drive by. I can’t say I blame the guy because I recall he’s had a lot of hardships and seems to be the type who just can’t catch a break. I hope he latches on somewhere and can resurrect his career. The guy adopted his late sister’s children…a lot of players in the NFL would be too greedy for that kind of commitment. Some would rather slap their mom in the face.

6.  SimonGC says:

A) He didn’t struggle against the Bears. He was completely, totally solid. He kept Eli clean and sealed his man off nicely on a few of Wilson’s nice runs to the left.

B) This isn’t really “bad” news. This means we have total confidence in our swing tackle so we can work Beatty back, and it means that, obviously, we don’t HAVE to rush Beatty back.

Here’s the kicker: Locklear probably swings over to the right when Beatty’s back. You heard Gilbride, he’s been as good as anybody, and while the Giants have too much invested in Beatty to hold him back for a (albeit well-playing) journeyman like Locklear, the same probably can’t be said for Diehl.

If Locklear goes out there and shuts down the blind side for the next week or two or three, Dave Diehl probably is going to hit the “blocking TE” phase of his career sooner rather than later.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

He def. struggled against the Bears. Both he and Gilbride even think so. LoL

But I agree that this isn’t bad news. As long as he has a grasp on the offense, I think he’ll do quite well.

•  SimonGC says:

Hey may not have been technically sound, but he sure looked better than Dave Diehl has in the last two years…

•  BillyS says:

Of course he struggled against the Bears…but just keep in mind of who he had to lineup against. Anyone would have struggled.

7.  JimStoll says:

WR Hakeem Nicks (foot), CB Prince Amukamara (ankle), DT Marvin Austin (back), and OT James Brewer (back) did not practice yesterday.

8.  JimStoll says:

Looks like every starter other than Prince and Beatty are go’s
    A lot of the O-Line play will depend on what Snee can do
    we all know he hasn’t looked great and has missed pre-season time
    if he can’t return to something approximating 2008 form, we will continue to struggle to run to the right

my predictions on who does not dress for Weds.: Prince, Brewer, Stevie Brown, Petrus, Austin, and Randal

9.  kujo says:

We should sign Price.

Just sayin. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good. And isnt he from Jersey originally?

Could be that we could turn him around.

He really was excellent in college. Maybe they should work him out, but right now there may not be any room on the practice squad.

10.  kujo says:

As the resident ankle grabber about the OL, I humbly request that a list is assembled containing the players who I am supposed to accept will treat our tackles and guards like a little boy in a Penn State locker room. From the sound of it, Ware is on that list. Obviously Orakpo, Peppers and Kerrigan. Cole? Babin? Brandon Graham? Apparently Jermaine Cunningham is on there as well.

It sure would be helpful to know how large the grading curve will be this season. Will save me some heart ache and save you all from having to read all the screeds I’m sure to write about how dismal this unit is.

Oh please. The great pass-rushers in the NFl will make EVERY tackle except the absolutely elite ones (of whom there are precious few, and only on rare occasions will they get through a game against these guys looking good) look bad a number of times in any game. Simply put, they are better athletes and better football players than the guys trying to stop them, and will generally only be controlled by some mix such as a combination the use of a tight end, a running back left in occasionally to block, short-patterns by the receivers and excellent awareness on the part of the quarterback.

Apparently you want a team that has no problem creating a cordon around its quarterback and also just btw blowing the defenders off the LOS so the backs can average at least 4.7 YPC. Well, as things are evolving we may have seen the last of those kinds of offensive lines. Even if they can match up perfectly against a defense (and they almost never can because defensive players are increasingly superior) the coordinator will put an extra man in the box and there are just too many shirts that have to be defended, or he will flood zones with dropping linebackers or extra safeties and corners, forcing QBs to hesitate long enough that rushers can consistently pressure them over the course of a game.

My bogey for this line is pretty simple: do the job well enough to give the offense a chance to help compete for a championship (along with a great defense and increasingly solid special teams) and then hope you get the plays and the good luck to navigate through the playoffs and go back-to-back. They don’t have to be great. They don’t have to be dominating. They don’t even need to be very good. They just have to be “good enough”, and that’s exactly what they were last season and have a chance to be again.

•  JimStoll says:

what I would hope for is a line that allows the offense to consistently move the ball so that we don’t end up sputtering in futility on 75% of our offensive turns and thereby become forced to live upon the big play

those big plays are great, and having that ability has its own powerful value, but it would be nice to be able to methodically move the ball

against the last 2 teams standing last season — SF and NE, our offense sputtered all day long
        fortunately eli was in the midst of a great season and our big 3 receivers kept outdoing one another with big plays at just the right moment

but it was a bit unsettling for most of the year to watch 3 and out after 3 and out, with the occasional 99 yarder to Cruz as an offset

•  Chad Eldred says:

You almost managed to pull that post off until you closed with logic that can be characterized as straight up stupid. It’s like admitting you have a heart problem, but doing nothing about it based on the logic that “it was good enough to get me through yesterday.” Sure, it’s good enough, until it isn’t. I hope this unit is good enough do it one more time, but at some point it won’t be.

The point is that despite being just about the same line last year (I think the addition of Locklear and the physical well-being of Bass, Diehl, and Snee more than offset the loss of McKenzie) they WERE good enough while everyone moaned and groaned about them. I think they’re better this season and see no reason to assume anyone’s decline from last year’s individual production. Ergo, I believe there’s evidence that they should be at least equal to last year’s group, which was PROVABLY good enough by dint of their joining in the hoisting of a championship trophy. Nothing the least bit illogical or wishful about that.

Of course someday this group won’t be “good enough”. I happen to think that day hasn’t come, and I think those who claim it has are the ones refusing to admit the EVIDENCE that was on the field the last six games of a championship season. The very same folks telling anyone with the temerity to think this offensive line may just squeak by that they have to PROVE it simply refuse to accept that they are the ones with the need for proof. Those who say this line should be “good enough” have the “on the record experience” of last year plus a logical assessment that this year’s offensive line is at least equal to last year’s are probably better.