September 1st, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Despite rumored interest from the Dallas Cowboys, wide receiver David Douglas has cleared waivers and is back at the TIMEX Performance Center as a part of the New York Giants practice squad.

Douglas is joined by tight end Larry Donnell, defensive back and return specialist Laron Scott, offensive linemen Matt McCants, Selvish Capers and Stephen Goodin, and defensive ends Craig Marshall and Matt Broha, who also drew some interest from other teams.

"It's official, Matt Broha is a member of the Giants practice squad," his agent Bill Deni tweeted.

Broha was to said to have considered signing elsewhere, but felt comfortable with the Giants and opted to stay.

In addition to announcing their practice squad, the team also revealed they have waived offensive lineman Mitch Petrus, and were awarded offensive tackle D.J. Jones off of waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles. We will have more n that later.

Tags: Craig Marshall, David Douglas, Football, Laron Scott, Larry Donnell, Matt Broha, Matt McCants, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “David Douglas, Matt Broha Highlight Additions to New York Giants’ Practice Squad”

1.  Dirt says:

To think – people were worried about losing Douglas!

2.  norm says:

Well, that didn’t take long.

As expected, Petrus’ stay with the Giants has come to an end. No surprises there. What’s somewhat surprising is that his place on the roster was taken by another tackle who is – unsurprisingly – someone I’ve never heard of before.

But in judging by the following, he sounds like he has been found wanting at tackle in his brief NFL career thus far. Hopefully, in switching to the interior he’ll prove better than Petrus. He can’t be any worse, can he?

According to various scouting reports on Jones, the former Nebraska starter has drawn praise for his quick engagement of defenders at the line of scrimmage and ability to keep his feet moving. His 6-foot-5 frame has also allowed him to successfully turn opponents at the line and drive them back in certain situations, while his flashes of athleticism in space have also garnered attention. In spite of his potential, Jones has reportedly displayed below-average awareness and has therefore been susceptible to pass rushers off the edge, prompting suggestions of a move to the guard position. With his potential in open space, however, Jones could be an ideal pupil of Eagles’ line coach Howard Mudd, who emphasizes athleticism over bulk in his blocking scheme.

3.  BillyS says:

This Jones guy seems like he doesn’t really have the feel for the outside game so a push inside could be better. Petrus didn’t have a feel for the outside either, but he also let guys get by him on the inside too because he wasn’t too quick with his feet. I like the fact that this guy, from what was posted above, seems to go right at people because that’s what you need from a stud run blocker. You need a guy who gets the push right off the snap instead of letting the defender get the leverage and momentum. I’m not saying he’s going to be great, but that little blurb did make him sound pretty appealing (albeit very raw). At the very least I don’t see him as a downgrade from Petrus so it’s a very worthy gamble.

And I’m thrilled that Marshall, Broha, and Douglas are on the PS. Marshall had several very good plays this preseason and Broha was all over the place. Plus Douglas is a great emergency WR/PR stash.

4.  Dirt says:

Anyone know what’s up with the Andrews brothers? Just curious.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Stacy has a major (undisclosed) medial issue – something to do with his back. The Giants nearly re-signed him earlier this offseason before it was discovered. Shawn also has lingering back issues and has gotten no interest from any team. Judging by his Twitter account, he’d be far from in good shape anyway.

5.  demo3356 says:

LOL, another giant season set to start and G101 has to deal with another 3 month long menstrual fest from Kujo about the offensive line.. He spent last preseason crying about it as well and we won the Superbowl. Hopefully our round little good luck charm will spurn us yet another Lombardi run with his never ending Biatchfest about the OLine:-)
    Look, I get the OLIne is struggling, I get that it is the weakest unit on our team.. But this isnt the salary capless 80′s or 90′s and it isnt Madden where you can just trade value for value and plug in a stud LT to make things all better.. You cant have a Dominating Unit on every aspect of your team. Some spots are going to be weaker than others. Reese and Co have made it clear that they intent to focus on Studs on the DL, the DB and WR position and to let other positions LB and OL get filled with mid to late rd picksm free agents and an occasional high pick (Snee, Beatty Sinitm)
    The Giants have
    1) an elite QB- top 5 no doubt
    2) an improved RB stable
    3) one of the best WR duos in the League
    4) an improved TE depth chart with Bennett
    5) The best DL in NFL by a mile
    6) vastly improved LB corps
    7) very Solid Secondary
    8) one of the most improved ST units in the league the last few years
    So yeah I get that your pissed that we haven’t spent a first RD pick on a blue Chip Interior OL (a very wise man beat that point into you over and over again a few years back) but you cant have it all Brohski.. I get that being Kujo Costanza the Meat locker man and whining about the OLine every day is your shtick…But saying your about to Start the Fire Reese bandwagon is idiotic even for your Gump like intellect. This team just won the Lombardi twice in the last 5 years including last year, with this same approach to the OLine.. Let me know when they dont have a winning season or aren’t a top 10 offense (even with the supposed albatross of an OC Gillbdride).. As far as I can remember this team has patched together OLines under the Great Pat Flaherty and put up 5000+ yards year after year..
    Ok that’s the end of my rant..Feel free to go back to the “Wahhh me want a new OL Wahhh Me want to trade Osi to the place where great OL grow on trees and teams are looking to trade them for one year rentals”

6.  norm says:

I also think the concerns over interior line depth were nominally addressed by the inclusion of two guards on the practice squad, Capers and Goodin.

Now, I’m aware that Capers was downright awful for much of the preseason. Admittedly, I’m not holding out too much hope that he’s ever going to amount to anything. It’s likely he’s nothing more than a warm body who at least looks the part of an NFL linemen – even if he could not even play one on TV.

Stephen Goodin, I think, is a bit more intriguing. Although he, too, was part of the epic dumpster fire that was the Giants second o-line unit in the 2012 preseason, I think he deserves a bit of a pass.

For starters, he is a rookie out of a tiny Division II school (Nebraska-Kearney) so the likelihood that he would have been able to transition smoothly to the pro game this year was very small to begin with. But dude is huge (6’6, 320) And, unlike Petrus, he’s bright (chemistry major who eventually plans on attending medical school, according to one report I read) Reports refer to his athleticism as above average.

I did not notice him at all when he was on the field in the preseason games I watched. But I do recall seeing his name mentioned favorably in a few practice reports (again, unlike Petrus) Plus, I think both Traina and Mike G thought at one point that he had an outside shot at beating out Petrus for a roster spot. So there’s that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know… yet another developmental O-line prospect with “upside” on a unit in which we all just want to see a legit plug ‘n’ play contributor at this point. So I’m hardly going to get on anyone’s case if they choose not to get all giddy about Stephen Goodin. But reading between the lines, it appears the coaches and front office do like this kid and maybe see him as farther along in his development than any of us suspect right now. Don’t be surprised if we see him promoted from the practice squad to the active roster if injuries to the starters along the interior line become a problem this year.

NFP’s Wes Bunting on DJ Jones:

“Isn’t a real natural bender when asked to sit into his stance in pass protection and struggles to consistently get off the football on time. Is routinely one of the last offensive linemen moving off the snap and lacks the kind of pure range to make up for a slow/false step. Isn’t real technically sound on his kick-slide, allows his footwork to get routinely overextended, lunges into blocks and easily is disengaged from on any type of counter move. Looks heavy-footed when asked to redirect and lacks the body control/athleticism to mirror in space.

Exhibits an above-average initial step when asked to reach targets off his frame in the run game, but again struggles to generate a real pop on contact and stay on blocks through the play. Loses his balance easily, gets overextended into contact and lacks the coordination to consistently finish. Doesn’t generate much of a pop into blocks as an in-line guy either, but has some natural power and can at least create a slight push eventually through the play after the defenders’ initial surge.

Impression: Lacks the range and athleticism to play tackle at the next level and simply doesn’t have the type of short-area quickness/body control needed to hold up inside either.”

•  norm says:

I suspect we’d see similarly lackluster scouting reports on any of the other O-linemen who were released yesterday.

At this point, though, the only question relevant to the Giants is “better than Petrus?” Admittedly, not an especially high hurdle to clear. But if Jones is able to answer that question in the affirmative, then mission accomplished.

First, I apologize for iPhone because it produces gibberish. Okay, having said that let me say that while I believe a decent O-line IS critical to winning championships I also believe that with the skill players we have they ONLY have to be mediocre, and no better. Kujo will not agree. But I think they can get by with this group, especially if Beatty can give them a dozen regular season games and the playoffs.

I like the decision re: Petrus and don’t care that this kid needs some retooling. I am completely confident that Flaherty can coach up one of he, Goodin and Capers by partway through this season. And btw, the fact that they kept Capers is very good news for him. They see something in him they like after having him to play for quite awhile. They wouldn’t waste a practice squad spot on a guy they know well and don’t think has something to offer.

I would like to say that collectively we got this roster pretty accurately. I jumped on Hill immediately, norm kept everyone aware of why Cordle was a lock, some of us said Locear was going to help a lot, and a LOT of guys insisted they. Sexed to keep both Onomo and Tracy. A few of us said early that Kuhn looked “Burt-like” and might stick.

Good job by all. Excellent crowd-sourced wisdom.

Oh, also we had a pretty good handle on the practice squad. I think Capers and Scott are the only surprises there.

10.  kujo says:

So what Demo is saying is that I’m short, fat, dumb and wrong about the OL. 3 of those things are true. Guess which one is false?

•  G-MenFan says:

He didn’t say that your mother dresses you funny. So, you’ve got that going for you.

I can’t blame you for being concerned about the O-line. We were apoplectic about the linebacking corps a couple of seasons ago and Reese fixed it. I’m sure he will cobble together an O-line that can work. It’s hard to be patient though because we’re “win now” every year with Eli and TC.