New York Giants’ David Wilson Getting Reps with First Team

August 21st, 2012 at 4:19 PM
By Casey Sherman

During Monday's team practice, New York Giants first-round pick David Wilson was spotted taking reps with the first team offense. Starting running back Ahmad Bradshaw suffered a contusion in his hand that kept him from participating fully in practice. The big question is: has Wilson passed D.J. Ware for the second string running back position?

'DSC_0226' photo (c) 2009, Tech Sports - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Although Ware had an impressive outing in the first preseason game, his second game against the Jets was far from impressive. Now halfway through the preseason, David Wilson has led the team in rushing with 69 yards on 15 attempts averaging 4.6 yards per carry, while Ware has rushed for only 45 yards on 16 carries averaging 2.8 yards per carry, though he does have the team's only rushing touchdown.

There were two key plays that stood out in which Ware made a mistake. He missed his assignment on punt protection that resulted in a blocked punt, then later he dropped an easy screen pass. Though Ware had a subpar game, Coach Coughlin insists that is not necessarily the reason Wilson is working with the first-team offense in practice.

"Just the fact that he hasn't had those reps with the first group, and we want to take a look at that," Coughlin said. "This was scheduled. David's going to move up, and get some plays with the ones."

It is clear that Bradshaw will remain the primary ball carrier. He was active for practice Monday, but was held out for precautionary reasons. Wilson and Ware will continue battling to be Bradshaw's spell back in the last two preseason games. Wilson possesses speed that no other running back on the roster has which may give him the edge in the competition.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, D.J. Ware, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

34 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson Getting Reps with First Team”

Repost:

Norm -

My reponse is basically what F55 said. I’m pretty confident we start the year with 5 DTs because really everyone is a question mark except Joseph. Canty and maybe Austin look very dicey to play to start the season. Thomas just practiced for the first time, doesn’t know the play book and isn’t in football shape yet. Rodgers if he isn’t gone for the year is certainly a question to start the year. Hendricks and Kuhn are young guys that are probably not ready for more than a handful of snaps. With Sash’s suspension we do have kind of an extra roster spot that I think will temporarly go to DT and likely move somewhere else.

Players getting to PS is a challenge. If they are drafted it hurts and if they really flashed it hurts. That’s what makes Kuhn and even Hendricks in danger. Two years ago I think Cruz was headed to PS until he had the crazy 3rd preseason game. Last year I think Scott might have had a simillar fate but he had 2 long TDs during preseason. Players like Muasua, Bing, Nicolas and even Douglas can probably slide. I think those 2 will be harder. And I don’t think you want to risk both, one i understand but 2 is a huge risk when they have average vets in front of them.

But we all knew Ware was the 3rd down back and not really be the backup. This just confirms Wilson isn’t behind.

Oh F55 on Ware blowing his punt protection, that’s Sash’s job. I think we are just trying to find a temporary replacement which doesn’t have to be Ware. But I don’t think it effects his 3rd down back status at all.

I know it’s Sash’s job, BUT, it can’t have done DJ much good that he barely even chipped the guy. Gilbride probably saw that and started wondering if he will consistently protect his quarterback.

If there’s one thing that most worries me about losing BJ, it’s that. He was great at keeping rushers away from Eli. Do we have backs who will do the same other than Bradshaw?

I don’t remember Ware blowing blocks last year and he was our 3rd down back. He’s not as physical as BJ or AB but I think he is effective.

Giants’ Tom Coughlin says ‘there’s a ray of hope’ Shaun Rogers could return this season

Despite the initial prognosis, Rogers was never placed on injured reserve or cut from the roster to make room for another defensive tackle during a flurry of injuries. Instead, the Giants cut linebacker Clint Sintim and defensive end Justin Trattou.

The original reasoning for the lost season was that the blood thinning medication he would have to go on wouldn’t allow him to play. But a second opinion has potentially changed the timetable.

“He is on a different kind of medication and that medication is supposedly something that can be dealt with after a certain amount of time,” Coughlin said. “Whether it’s 5, 6 weeks, whatever, I’m not sure.”

Michael Boley, who has been battling a nagging hamstring injury, ran for the first time in several days and it didn’t go as well as he had hoped.

“It’s still not where I need it to be for me to be able to go out and work,” said the linebacker, who experienced pain during the run.

Boley was able to return to practice in Albany for a couple days, but was quickly shut down again. He has since been sidelined with the injury, which he and the Giants originally forecasted to be minor. Now, it may prevent him from playing in the Sept. 5 opener against the Cowboys, though he’s staying optimistic.

Rodgers still sounds hard to keep on the roster because of the concerns with Canty and Austin. It still appears that Rodgers wouldn’t be ready for 9/5.

Boley is now officially in the Canty and TT area of having a roster spot but not looking good for week 1. Luckily we have Rivers and Williams returned to practice. Out of the three I’m least concerned about Boley because we have very talented replacements.

•  JimStoll says:

almost time to push the panic button on boley
      3 weeks without being able to practice
      runs today and can’t go means he misses the entire pre-season and heads into the regular season one sprint away from IR

I think it just means like much of last year our inactives will be injured players that can’t play. We have depth at LB.

The NFL is all about managing two things … injuries and the cap. This is why building through the draft is so important. This is why intelligent signings of UDFAs is important.

5.  BillyS says:

I’m not that concerned with Boley because I think he’s in good shape and he already knows the system so he won’t be too far behind once the season starts. Guys like Austin are much farther behind — especially Austin since he hasn’t played in years (plural).

As for Wilson…I think it was just a matter of time til they gave him a chance to run with the first team offense to see what he could do. I still expect Bradshaw to be the featured back early on, but he has had trouble staying healthy so may as well let Wilson get comfortable with some of the guys in practice. I also think they’ll put Rogers on the PUP list since it sounds like he could come back, but not right away (plus he’ll have to get back into game shape).

•  JimStoll says:

the problem for Boley is simply health
      for the past 2 seasons he has been our best LB
      and when he went out last season against the niners and didn’t return until the packers, the defense really suffered
      he’s had hammy problems for what seems like forever
      those are very hard to recover from without a lot of rest
      we do have depth and talent at LB so maybe Rivers Kiwi williams and Blackburn/Herzlich can fill the gap, but like losing TT last year, even though Ross filled in pretty well, he was never TT

•  creewan says:

boley wore the headset last year too, which was big because he never really comes off the field. he plays in the nickel sets because he is far from a liability. im sure chase is the one who is wearing the headset while boley is out. chase sometimes plays the nickel due to his smarts and scheme familiarity but he is honestly a bulls eye for offensive coordinators looking for a mismatch. let’s hope boley makes it back quickly, even though we do have some talent behind him in rivers and williams.

6.  creewan says:

during sash’s suspension, does that free a roster spot for 4 weeks or does he still count against the 53?

7.  creewan says:

also i don’t think we can PUP shaun rogers. he has already practiced and participated this offseason/camp.

That’s right. Now that it looks like he cannot play anytime soon but might be able to play this season, they’ll probably figure they can tell him to stay by the phone and stay in shape.

Boley being unable to play for the first quarter of the season would not trouble me too much. He’ll be on the roster but not dressed. I’m perfectly content to have Williams and Rivers handle that position. The ONLY real complication is that we may have to go back to the use of a third safety in nickel sets because Boley would be on the field with Williams and Rivers if Fewell wanted to stick with speedy linebackers instead. Of course, that means plenty of Will Hill, which troubles me not one bit.

•  creewan says:

our nickel could feature:

webster
      prince
      hosley (nickel)
      rolle
      phillips

rivers
      jacquain

4 dl

that is assuming of course hosley earns the trust of the staff and his teammates to hold it down consistently. the nickel set is the new base. will hill could also play that role. t2 as well when healthy. boley really isn’t missed in terms of the nickel set, other than the fact he may be better than his replacements. but strictly from a gameplanning/personnel point of view, nothing changes. 2 speedy backers plus one more secondary guy.

9.  creewan says:

thanks 55. for clearing up the questions about the roster spots. Stevie Brown probably will make this team, at least until Sash gets back.

its going to be interesting to see how the DT battlle goes.

Joseph and Bernard are locks.

Assuming Canty isn’t PUP til week 6 he obviously makes the team.

After that it’s Thomas, Hendricks, Kuhn, Austin, and I guess Rogers for one (maybe two) spots – if Canty is on the PUP til week 6.

I would like to see us PUP Canty since he is already eligible, and like many have said, it would be better to have him 100 percent for 10 games rather than have him hobbled for 16.

I don’t know who to like after that… I like different things about each guy. I love the way Coughlin speaks of Hendricks’ motor and desire. I love the way Rogers is playing for the chance to win a championship and showed the dedication necessary in the offseason with the weight loss. I love Thomas’ athletic ability and his numbers from last season. I love Marvin Austin’s talent. I love Kuhn’s Jets game. It’s going to be interesting.

Interior DL and OT have to be the biggest areas of concern right now. It’s starting to get frustrating reading about Beatty everyday, “still struggling”.

10.  LUZZ says:

Krow said it best. Kuhn needs to break a pinky so we can IR him. Although, I do remember the league looking into the Giants handling of Cruz 2 years ago. We IR’d him for a rather mild hammy injury and it did cause the league to snoop around. I remember being nervous while that evaluation was taking place.

Dan – Do you know if the league more clearly defined the IR threshold in the new CBA? Not that I expect you to have all the answers, but I wonder if that was addressed.

•  BillyS says:

Does anyone have a link that shows a lot of the changes for the new CBA? I admit I didn’t really give a crap during the lockout because I just wanted football back, but I suppose it’s time to actually find out what exactly changed and what the whole deal was about…or Dan and company can just keep answering questions. Either is fine by me ;)