August 20th, 2012 at 7:05 AM
By Paul Tierney

Perhaps even more disturbing than New York Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara being dumped into the cold-tub by Jason Pierre-Paul was that there was a video of it. Even more disturbing was that the video was made public by punter Steve Weatherford for other players, coaches, and fans alike to see and hear. Not only did this further escalate an incident that did not need any media attention in the first place, but it publicly embarrassed Prince Amukamara, the teams 2011 first round pick.

'Special Teams' photo (c) 2012, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

On Sunday, the NFL said the incident was an "club matter" and would not be investigated. However, head coach Tom Coughlin had every intention of figuring out exactly what happened, and more importantly, why it was leaked to social media.

“I’m going to look into it, I’m going to talk to the parties involved,” Coughlin said. “As I’m understanding it, there were some parts of it that were inappropriate. And in no way, anything that occurs within this family or within our group should be a part of social media. I’m going to address that strongly because I spent a little time on that this preseason.”

Predictably, most likely after being reamed out by his coaches and teammates, punter Steve Weatherford made a public apology via twitter regarding his poor judgment.

"I want to apologize to the fans. The video I posted was distasteful. Our team is a family, and we love each other. I am sorry to the fans." Weatherford tweeted.

Make sure to note that Weatherford did not apologize to Prince Amukamara for publicly humiliating him while enabling thousands to watch via social media, nor did he offer condolences to his teammates for unnecessarily creating a media firestorm. While the incident itself was borderline inappropriate, Steve Weatherford obviously employed poor judgment in publicizing the video.

However, with all that said, it's impossible to understand the dynamics of an NFL locker room if you have never experienced one. Although this incident appeared to be at the very least, in bad taste, there is no way to tangibly calculate the overall impact it will have on the current roster. With some professionalism, and dare I say common sense, this issue should fade into obscurity well before the Week one opener against the Dallas Cowboys. Hopefully, Weatherofrd's apology is the last we hear of this incident.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Steve Weatherford, Tom Coughlin

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ Steve Weatherford Apologizes for Posting Prince Amukamara Video”

1.  G-MenFan says:

I must say that it is a real pleasure to root for a team for which something like this is considered to be controversial.

2.  JimStoll says:

once Prince makes a big pick and JPP gives him a huge man-hug, all will be well

3.  jfunk says:

I log into Twitter once in a blue moon to check in (I basically follow only Giants players, beat writers, and a few other NFL guys).

I think it was only a matter of time before Weatherford was involved with something like this. Guy seems to have no problem saying whatever pops into head on there (including engaging hecklers). Posts personal pics of himself & friends on vacation and stuff like that too.

Hopefully this is a lesson he only needs to learn once, but I’m skeptical.

4.  jfunk says:

Austin back today?

@AnchorManAustin
    Time to go get it #BeGreatTiday!!

5.  TuckThis says:

As a female, I guess my sensibilities differ a bit. I read most of your comments previously about the incident. I find it an embarrassment for the Giants.
    This “boys will be boys” mentality is actually “stupid is as stupid does.”
    I’m glad Coughlin jumped in. Hopefully there are lessons learned.

There’s an excellent article about JPP in the NY Times Magazine yesterday…I’ll link it if anyone would like to read it.

•  G-MenFan says:

We certainly don’t claim to be geniuses when we’re doing stupid stuff like this. We also don’t have a clue as to what precipitated JPP’s actions. There’s a lot of pranks that go on in that locker room, especially in the preseason. And one of the lead pranksters is Eli. For all we know, Prince could have pulled a prank. The real “crime” here was perpetrated by Weatherford for breaching the code and going public. The rest of the other stuff will work itself out.

“No Nigerians were harmed in the making of this film”.

Maybe Steve can hide a ‘creepy cam’ in the bathroom. That’d be a riot on YouTube.

7.  Luv2Salsa says:

The common thread is that the belligerents are first round draft choices. This could be nothing more than JPP passing on a little jazz to the next generation. With Prince’s injury last season, he probably couldn’t earn many lumps then, so this may just be a little catch up.

And if it wasn’t an ongoing thing, or a code red, then Weatherford’s intent may have been simply to share some fun. But it was still a bone-head thing to do. I think we have witnessed another glimpse inside the sausage factory.

OK … line in the sand. We have to keep Kuhn … aka Kahn … on the active roster.

This guy looks like the real thing. And there’s been a fair amount of buzz about him. He’s not gone unnoticed. This means there’s no way to PS him. So unless they fake an injury and put him on IR {or PUP} then he has to make the squad. Or we lose him, and that would be a very stupid move.

9.  BillyS says:

I think this is being so blown out of proportion. It is just “boys being boys”. Eli is the “king of pranks” and nobody seems to mind it, but if it was put on youtube I’m sure some people would find something to complain about. I remember reading something with Andre Woodson, the QB who didn’t turn into anything, where Eli emptied out his locker and left a “See me in my office – T.C.” note inside. Athletes always like to keep it real and screw around with one another. They’re like brothers. They WANT to embarrass each other. That’s the point. Prince was embarrassed, but he’s still technically a rookie and it’s not like they made him walk a line while all of them slapped his **** with a paddle. This is much ado about nothing and Weatherford needs to stop being so social media happy.