New York Giants’ Toughness: Looking Back at Super Bowl Championship Run

August 19th, 2012 at 6:30 AM
By Jen Polashock

Each week, more information is written about the injuries that the New York Giants faced last season. Although their depth chart had to be heavily relied-upon and several assignment and mental hiccups were visible, the team actually overcame more than just tens of players on injured reserve and a few guys “getting healthier” down the stretch.

DT Linval Joseph, S Antrel Rolle and DE Justin Tuck all played though excruciating pain this past 2011 season and attempted to keep their injuries on the down low as they realized what the possible roads before them were. RB Ahmad Bradshaw has done the same (in previous seasons) on two broken wheels. If injuries and future health/career aren’t a concern then most Giants seem to want to stay on the gridiron.

Of course, injuries are a concern and the fact that owner John Mara has spoken on behalf of keeping players as safe as possible in a sport of speed and viciousness just shows the class of the franchise. Another piece of the franchise that’s evident is toughness. Players limping to the sidelines and getting taped up or “fixed” so they can run back in for the next play historically wasn’t unheard of. Infamous pictures of Y.A. Tittle and old film of H-Back/DB Frank Gifford playing all three sides of the ball are iconic to our Big Blue organization—while the thought of that “tough son-of-a-bitch” (a la Parcells) TE Mark Bavaro comes to mind as he had his jaw broken in 1986 in a game versus the New Orleans Saints and not only finished the game (with his mouth bloodied, jaw wired shut), but never missed a game that season.

Aside from upholding a certain physical toughness from their players, the New York Giants also advocate a mind frame that is as equally strong while giving the players support in maintaining that physical and mental fortitude. Physical pain and dealing with an inability of one’s body to carry out daily activities of living can bear a toll that many that have never suffered injury cannot fathom; add pain-management to the mix and more harm can be had than good.

In hindsight, the Giants should have never won Super Bowl XLVI, but they did. Immovable power and stability in all aspects of this Big Blue institute are what should be considered the pillars of their new mantra: “Build the Bridge” and credited for their phenomenal finish to 2011 (not just plain ol’ luck—for “luck is the residue of hard work and design”). The Giants took what was before them and approached it the way they have done for decades—with a strong support system in place and concurring team players that won’t let one another slip. Strength does truly lie in number in the NFL—if they come together as one.

Head Coach Tom Coughlin has this team in agreement once again, believing that which he wants to build upon. In June, he told Giants.com:

“We have moved the bar up. We’ve raised the bar and the quality of our practices, our preparation and our play throughout the playoffs is something we can all be proud of. What I’m trying to do is to verbally, motivationally, efficiently, from the classroom to the practice field, bridge it – bridge it over to the 2012-2013 New York Giants.”

The feelings gathered around from visiting training camp in Albany were of the same ilk. Fans felt a certain hard, resounding seriousness exuding from players during competitions there and in comparison to 2008, the differences are vast. Nothing is being assumed (as far as continuance) and the goals remain: to improve, get into the playoffs and explode with a smash-mouth mentality once there.

In a little under three weeks, the kickoff on the evening of September 5th will signify the defense of the World Championship. Big Blue Faithful, you All In?

photo credit: MattBritt00 via photo pin cc

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Antrel Rolle, Football, Frank Gifford, John Mara, Justin Tuck, Linval Joseph, Mark Bavaro, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Super Bowl XLVI, Tom Coughlin

24 Responses to “New York Giants’ Toughness: Looking Back at Super Bowl Championship Run”

1.  James Stoll says:

I felt good about last night until I read about all the injuries
    Tuck, again? Neck and shoulder, again? Let the fretting begin
    Holesy in a boot? Turf toe maybe? Looked like he clipped his trailing toe as he was hot dogging it into the end zone
    Tracy with a hammy; bummer. I really wanted to see him excel and grab the 4th DE slot
    Speaking of which, Marshall, Ojomo and Broha all looked like world beaters against their Jet counterparts. The back-ups, to the back-ups to the back-ups. It will be interesting to see where these guys land once they are released
    Can Ojomo go to the practice squad?

The o-line continues to terrify. Beatty can’t get on the field and the rest can’t seem to play. Baas continues to underwhelm. Snee is no longer pro bowl calibre. Diehl is Diehl. Yikes! One muses over whether the Andrews brothers want to play this year, or perhaps Ritchie wants another go, Mayberry Professor McKenzie will re-up. SOS!!

Eli was off last night; Carr was miserable after that first pass; Perriloux at least looked athletic.

How many good wide receiving prospects do we have? Too many! Barden is not one of them. I’m letting go.

My final 53 has 7 receivers –Nicks, Cruz, Randal, Jernigan, Hixon, Douglas and Stanbach

Our depth at LB is looking a tad precarious with Bolely and Williams unable to get healthy.

I still want Kuhn to make the final 53 so I can hear him interviewed.

2.  kujo says:

How about we move on from last year and focus on this year.

And how about we talk about how the line looks bad. Again.

3.  LUZZ says:

Simon – a few steakhouses you can’t go wrong with today.

Rosebud Steakhouse, on 192 E Walton. Slightly lower key and a little neighborhoodie with old money regulars in there. Great bartenders and service. Bone-in-ribeye, holy sh1t.

Chicago Cut, 300 N LaSalle. Its right on the river. outdoor seating today would be great.

Gibsons, 1028 N Rush. It’s touristy, but the Steaks are great and it’s always a fun time. Very happening part of town if your going to roam around a little and do some people watching after.

Enjoy!

Yes, the offensive line looked bad….in a game we completely dominated.

The Jets are not a bad team. They may not be an elite team, but they are probably in the top half of the league. And they were absolutely dominated last night.

We can moan and groan all anyone wants about the deficiencies on the Giants while forgetting that EVERY team has areas of weakness. And it is true that we ought to worry about how we’re going to run the damn ball behind these guys if they don’t get their act together.

BUT, I hope everyone noticed that Rocky Bernard looked very good, that he and Joseph did a good job of limiting the run along with Chase Blackburn (who looked VERY good); that Keith Rivers is a tremendous player and we now have some awfully good linebackers who can dominate from the outside; that Will Hill is the real deal; that Jayron Hosley is even more “real”; that Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle look in midseason form already; and that JPP, Osi and Tuck are all BETTER than they were last season (anyone really worrying about Tuck should remember that he went back in after his “injury” and got a pretty impressive sack). THIS DEFENSE IS GOING TO DOMINATE IF THEY CAN JUST STAY HEALTHY.

Add to that the fact that our kickers look good and our kick coverage looks good; we got a few pretty decent punt returns; Hixon looks very sharp; Stanback looks like a potentially big upside surprise; Wilson looks like he has learned to “hit” the LOS quickly even if there doesn’t look like much there; Bennett looks really good; and some of the “depth” offensive linemen and defensive linemen looked very good (albeit against depth players from the Jets).

What I take away from last night is that the offensive line needs work, Randle needs to improve his blocking even though the kid can really get the ball, and the Giants absolutely killed a pretty decent team that was treating this as a very big game.

Oh yeah, one other thing I took from it: Tim Tebow stinks.

All in all, I’d say it was a very good night for the Giants.

•  James Stoll says:

My only point of disagreement is your assessment of the Jets, at least insofar as their offense is concerned. It is dreadful and Sanchez is a trylu awful QB. He can’t throw the ball more than 10 yards. He wilts under pressure and he is generally ineffective. Plus he has no weapons and an o-line outdone in bad play only by the giants’ o-line
      So while our defense looked dominating last night, and it likely will be terrific this year, that was a group of amateurs they were facing

Tebow should actually be their starter. As bad as he is he is better than Sanchez who is pure unadulterated garbage

Perhaps Tebow could ‘lay hands’ on Mark Sanchez, and heal him of his bad quarterbacking habits?

Never thought I’d say this about a young guy making an enormous amount of money for playing a game, but I feel sorry for Sanchez. The Jets have done nothing to help him. We don’t really know if he’s any good because he has too few receivers and a significant weakness at one of the offensive tackle positions. And while Eli may not have great protection, Eli is a great quarterback and works his way around that problem. No one thinks Sanchez is great. But to prove even adequate he has to be given a chance to succeed. The Jets aren’t giving it to him, and bringing in Tebow, while it generated the publicity Woody Johnson wants, is probably going to undermine him further.

Hey, I don’t care. I wouldn’t mind if the Jets finish at the bottom of their conference. But that is unlikely when they have a solid defense. I don’t want to get into a discussion of the Jets because I don’t wish them well and I don’t care who succeeds or fails at QB for them. If I had to guess, though, I’d say their quarterback of 2015 is not currently on their roster.

If nothing else, the Jets have a very good defense, and we did move the ball against them even if we didn’t score touchdowns (a problem that I believe will be corrected over the next three weeks).

I saw a lot that they can build on and came away feeling pretty good about the team. Bradshaw’s injury is minor (no break, just swelling), Hosley was walking around pretty well after the game, Tuck appears to be fine, and Herzlich seems somewhat irrelevant to me after seeing Rivers play the way he did (and just btw, Muasau looked pretty good too). Tracy’s hammy is a bit worrisome but hopefully it isn’t a bad one and he’ll be back soon. In any case, we saw a lot of pretty interesting additional candidates for the 4th DE spot last night. And our defense is fabulous.

5.  LUZZ says:

Tebow is what he is, perhaps one of the best college football players ever, but his skillset just doesn’t translate well in this league. His upside is pretty low.

I think the big dissappointment is Sanchez right now if I’m a jets fan. Not only was his play shakey last night, but his comments to reports are all concerning to me if I’m a Jets fan. He says stuff to the sideline reporters that deflects responsibillity and blame from him to his teammates. Even if he is right, these are things you just never hear or heard come out of Eli’s mouth. Why not just say, “Yes, I need to get better and until I do this offense won’t take off. I’m committed to getting better and will continue to work hard in practice and the film room to do so.” Just leave it at that.

•  James Stoll says:

What he really ought to say is I realize no matter how hard I work I will never be more than a Rex Grossman. But hey, the Jets paid me $44M so what do you wnt me to do? Give it back?
      Nah. I think I’ll just keep muddling through until this contract is up and then I’ll do the 10 year 10 team NFL back-up tour

6.  LUZZ says:

By the way Cousins (the MSU QB that the whole league passed on in April) looked fantastic last night for the Redskins. All these NFL teams with questionable QBs really missed a great chance to sign a great character kid with REAL upside as a QB in this league. Some of these GMs suck.

•  James Stoll says:

And the Redskins signed him for warehousing purposes
      Interesting
      Maybe Danny will turn him into 3 draft pick to be wasted later

•  LUZZ says:

18-23 for 265 yards. I don’t care who it was against, i assume the guys on defense were all fighting to make the Bears roster, so they were at least trying. But those numbers just show that he has a grasp of the offense at a very earlier time.

That may be right, but a lot of the success of quarterbacks in the NFL is impossible to predict. I think the only “can’t miss” prospects who have come out in the past few years are Newton and Luck. The rest are crap shoots who the teams hope prove to have the goods (and I include RG III in that group). But it may well be that Cousins will prove better than a lot who were drafted.

Hey, it looks like there’s a possibility Perrilloux is a guy who could help some teams. He cannot stay with the Giants because David Carr is the perfect backup and could lead the team if necessary, but I’m starting to wonder if he may now become the trade chip that I suspect it was hoped he would be when he was drafted by Reese. He certainly looked better last night than either of the Jets’ QBs.

7.  Jen Polashock says:

The jets are not a bad team? What?! LOL. They have NO OFFENSE aside from a run game that the Giants stopped mostly in the backfield. THEIR o-line was manhandled and left two over-hyped QBs running for their lives 20+ yards into the offensive backfield. I LOVED every second of it. Their Special Teams looked like ours a few years back. Shanked punts and DOINKED FGs? Ha. The ONLY good thing about the jets is their Defense and part of why our offensive line had some issues. There is DEFINITE work to be done, but holes WERE opened up against a GOOD run D (Bennett is a BIG asset here) and while the line and (again) shifts/changes on it create the need for gelling to be had, I see good things with these 5. Didn’t anyone see the gains and time on the 4th down conversions? Rex DIED since his D considered that their strength. Give som credit where it’s due. One thing, I’ll specifically say: I like Locklear. Beatty STILL scares me, period. What’s worse is the depth guys against good D (especially 3-4)…our 2nd string got BLOWN off the line & got Carr SLAMMED from go. Literally.

I don’t want to argue about the Jets because I don’t care a whit about them, but a lot of why their offense looked so atrocious was because our defense is so good and Holmes was out.

It was nice to see Westhoff’s stupid mug as his special teams looked so awful. Yeah, he’s some genius. Weatherford is allowed to walk and they come up with this?

But their defense is an elite defense, and that makes them “not a bad team” because defenses will keep you in most NFL games if yours is elite. That’s why I’m sanguine about the Giants’ problems on the O-line, which like you, I think are not quite as bad as many assume simply because they DID move the ball against a very, very good defense.

I have been saying that Locklear is a pretty decent player, still. I think he looked it last night. I don’t agree with you about a few of the second-liners. I thought Petrus, Capers and Brewer did not look bad. Cordle looked completely overmatched. He was being beaten like a drum. Baas had better stay healthy. But that group did look bad because an O-line is only as good as it’s weakest link, and when that’s the center you’re REALLY in trouble.

•  James Stoll says:

What’s the story with Beatty?
        Why is he still not playing?
        He’s not an experienced enough player I fear to trust without a preseason
        Should Diehl move back to the left tackle position?
        Can Boothe pop out to RT?
        Is Petrus good enough to hold down LG
        Will Snee ever return to 2008 form?
        Is Baas the biggest bust of JR’s run?
        These are the questions on the table I believe

Diehl and Locklear look to be the two tackles, whichever way they’re aligned, if Beatty cannot get back and play next week. So Boothe stays at LG. Snee has to play better, as does Baas, and Hynoski has to knock some snot out of guys trying to fill holes.

Lots of questions. Hopefully some answers will emerge over the next 4-5 weeks.

•  James Stoll says:

Gonna be a little scary
            In the short run I would play Eli less
            He took some unnecessary shots last night after those first 2 drives

•  Jen Polashock says:

One thing & I’ll digress on the jets….their offense EVEN WITH HOLMES wouldn’t have done ISH. Holmes doesn’t give 100 and he’s NOT the team. Starts at QB as you mentioned. Simple. They had to call timeouts right after timeouts! New system or not, they don’t have the leader/s (QB) for it.
        Oh and I correct myself: DOINKED FG. Just one. :)

Well, one can hope that they go 0-16, Woody Johnson fires Rex, they dump Sanchez, and their fans start wearing bags over their heads. But even that wouldn’t shut these clowns up.

I think Revis will want out.

I cannot wait to hear talk radio this week as the commentators and fans obsess about what’s wrong with them and how do they fix it while they ignore the boring old Giants who steamrolled them. It will actually be funny. Anyone who is a Mets/Jets fan (of which there are many) has to be wishing he’d/she’d made different choices when he/she was a kid. Yep, the Schadenfruende is out for me in full glory. When the Jets and their fans finally shut up I may feel some sympathy. Until then, HA-HA-HA.

8.  James Stoll says:

Anyone think one of Marshal, Ojomo or Broha sticks either on the 53 or PS?
    And is it a joke that they put Marshal in number 70?