August 8th, 2012 at 6:30 AM

From a very early age, parents are supposed to teach their children proper sportsmanship. A part of that is explaining to them that sometimes you lose the game, and in doing so, it's best to remain humble in defeat, acknowledge the winning team and use the feeling of disappointment as motivation to get better. Somewhere along the line, the parents of several Green Bay Packers, including linebacker Clay Matthews, forgot to instill that lesson.

Two months after Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said his team beat themselves, Matthews echoed his sentiment, claiming the New York Giants didn't truly defeat them in the 2012 NFL Playoffs.

"We picked the most inopportune time to play our worst ball. The fact is, [the Giants] didn't beat us; we beat ourselves. We need to play our best ball when it counts. This year, I expect us to be right back where we should be."

The Giants left quite a bit of devastation and bitterness in their wake a season ago. Neither the Packers nor the San Francisco 49ers have yet to come to terms with their respective defeats, and the only player on either team to actually man-up and acknowledge Big Blue was Green Bay wide receiver Greg Jennings.

“It hurts. It was a disappointing end to the season,” Jennings said in July. “But obviously, we lost to a better team at that point. We didn’t play up to our standard, but I can’t knock what the Giants did. They came in our house, beat us on our turf, got it done.”

As it was in 2007, the Giants merely "got lucky" in the eyes of many. Even if that were the case, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good, and it's a safe bet the 2012-2013 Giants would love to "get lucky" one more time and have all of their opponents "beat themselves."

Tags: Clay Matthews, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Greg Jennings, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

26 Responses to “Green Bay Packers’ Clay Matthews: Giants Didn’t Beat Us in the Playoffs, We Beat Ourselves”

1.  Remy says:

What a clown. It would’ve been a blow-out had it not been for the refs…

The roids … they make you crazy.

3.  The Original G Man says:

What manner of doosh-baggery is this?!

Well it all seems worse taken out of context … but he’s saying the Pack had a bad game and that’s why they lost. Similar sentiments have been echoed by millions of fans through the millennia. But by harping on it he looks like the classic whiner. Not a good thing for a football player.

4.  The Original G Man says:

Uh, Clay? Not only did we beat you, it was a whole “Veni, vidi, vici” moment … we came, we saw, we kicked your ****.

5.  Jason McEwan says:

The refs gave them the game in the regular season (that clearly was a TD by Ballard) and they tried to hand it to them in the playoffs. If it wasn’t for the B.S. calls it would’ve been a blow out.

6.  JimStoll says:

Dan,
    has something changed with the site from a technical standpoint
    I find I don’t seem to get the new threads popping up unless I either exit out or see a G101 twitter feed that I click on

7. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Given the amount of nasty, nasty e-mails I received yesterday and a lot of the complaints I’ve been getting recently, I need to make something clear to all readers of Giants 101:

This is a free service we offer here. We don’t charge anyone, we no longer (by popular demand) limit what anyone discusses here and we devote endless hours of our life (unpaid) to do the very best we can here on this site. Moreover, I’ve spent thousands upon thousands of my hard earned dollars making this site the best I possibly can. And I realize that it screws up here and there, and I realize we don’t have an app and that sometimes things are far from perfect. There’s nothing I can do about that. I have a full-time job and part-time job away from this site, plus (believe it or not) a personal life that often goes neglected because I am spending any free time I have writing articles, answering emails or working to improve this sites functionality the best I possibly can.

Complaints about the ads: We’ve already eliminated pop-ups, pop-overs and continue to work to eliminate auto-play ads for your benefit. These, of course, are the three most well-paying ads on the site, so we’ve sacrificed a significant chunk of change for your benefit. We can’t go further into the money hole by eliminating all ads.

App(s): This site is privately funded by me and done so using the aforementioned ads. A mobile app would not only cost me money to build, but would not be monetized, thereby costing me additional money on top of the development price, hurting not only my bank account, but the site.

Amount of updates: 50% of the people claim there are too many and it disrupts conversation, 50% say there aren’t enough. Bottom line, content is king in the online media world. We do as many as we can, in an effort to keep all of you updated, with the time allotted to us. Less articles means less traffic, means less site income, means either a) more out of my pocket or b) the site suffers.

Yes/No on Forums: We tried it. It failed. Miserably. We will not bring them back because no one used them. At all.

Giants 101 Hall of Fame: It’s a time issue. I love the idea, someday I will get back to it, but I only have so much time to dedicate.

Podcast: See above, add in additional expenditures.

“I can’t see the latest updates”: This is a non-Giants 101 issue. This is a personal caching and/or cookies issue. Clear both and try again.

“I hate SSI”: Sorry. It’s more cost-effective and very simply to use anyway. I realize people are still having trouble with it, and when I can, I will devote more of my time to try to simplify it even further. But right now, it’s a must-have feature and not something I can simply turn off like a light switch.

The Rewards Button on the Left: Not spam. Not a pop-up. It’s there to give back to the readers. It is, in every sense, a rewards feature that allows you to earn points by reading, commenting and sharing our stories. The more point you get, the closer you get to FREE things. We like to give back to our loyal readers and this is one of the ways we can.

Other Giveaways: Sometimes we give things away on Facebook, sometimes on Twitter and sometimes on out .com. If you do not use social media, I am sorry. We like to appeal to the wide range of our fans, not just a select group who feel Twitter is “stupid.” Don’t email me complaining you can’t enter because you don’t use social media.

Tailgating: Yes. We will be doing it this year. More information will be coming soon.

Am I missing anything?

•  The Original G Man says:

So, reading between the lines here, you’re not getting an App, or … ?

:-)

•  The Original G Man says:

On a serious note, I still have problems when using my phone, but when I come here using my lap top … night and day from a year ago.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Well, I discovered an issue using the mobile version of the site last night which I will address and hopefully correct this week. It has to do with the rewards button we have – not sure if that’s related to the same issues you’ve experienced, but I hope so.

•  Jason McEwan says:

And we love ya for all that you’ve done and what you will continue to do.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

Didn’t get to post this yesterday and my apologies if anyone else did.

Yesterday is by far my favorite day of camp because Francessa is there and interviews TC, JR, and certain players. Most people dislike Francessa but he gives a great interview. For those that are interested heres the link.

Interviews include:
    -ELI
    -TC
    -JR
    -CRUZ
    -TUCK
    -ROLLE
    -HERZLICH
    -MARA

And Giants beat reporter Paul Dottino who actually gives some good insight.

9. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

You dont beat yourself and lose by 17.

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Also just by listening to Dottino , and reading a few other sites, I think our biggest concern , by far, has to be OL.

I’m willing to give Bass the benefit of the doubt and say he’ll be fine this year, even though he was bad last season. I will also give DD the benefit of wherever he plays, RT or LT. He’ll be fine. And I think Petrus eventually takes over that LG position and keeps it.

But LT is not looking good. Beatty is soft to begin with, “finesse” is a nicer way to say this. Also now with his back, if he can’t go, we have a serious problem at one of our tackle spots. DD can play either, but who plays the other? Locklear? Boothe?

This scares me. Eli took way too many hits last season, and the only thing that could derail our year is an injury to him.