The New York Giants took the field on Saturday during what was easily the hottest and most humid day of training camp thus far, with temperatures approaching 100 degrees on the field. However, the weather wouldn't slow them down as they dove right in and conducted another intense practice as they prepare themselves to defend the Lombardi Trophy.
- Jason Pierre-Paul – JPP just appears unstoppable at this point. The offensive line routinely put two guys on him, but he powered right through with incredible ease at times. Even in the event that he was shut down at the line of scrimmage, he was able to get his arms up and disrupt passing lanes, causing the quarterbacks to go to alternate options on a number of occasions.
- Mark Herzlich – Herz has gotten better with each practice, and with Chase Blackburn out this afternoon (thigh bruise), had a chance to work with the first team exclusively. On one particular play, he sniffed out a would-be screen pass and forced David Carr to go long (incomplete). His pass defense has significantly improved from a year ago, and he appears quick with not only his feet, but each read as well.
- Will Hill – The story of Hill is starting to spread like wildfire, and he deserves the spotlight. It's clear that he's spending an incredible amount of time with the playbook as he seems oddly familiar with the scheme and locations of his teammates for a first-year guy.
- Kenny Phillips – Speaking of safeties, KP had an impressive leaping interception this afternoon that would have made the ESPN highlight reel if they stopped showing Tim Tebow updates.
- Lawrence Tynes – 5-for-5 in field goals.
- Trick Plays – The Giants ran an odd number of trick plays this afternoon, including a two-point conversation from Steve Weatherford to David Diehl. Although that particular one was successful, then ran a variety of misdirection screen passes to both tight ends and running backs. In 11 on 11's, it failed to gain many yards or catch the defense by surprise. They also practiced a variety of direct snaps – most to the running backs, but one also went to Jerrel Jernigan who was in motion. He gained four yards before being pushed out of bounds.
- Adrien Robisnon – It was a bad day for the JPP of tight ends, as he had two drops.
- Brandon Collins – During kickoff drills, Collins got major heat tom Tom Quinn after leaving early, who screamed "Stay on the line! Do you want to make this team?!"
- Ryan Perrilloux – One minute, Perrilloux is threading a needle to a wide receiver in traffic. The next minute, he's over-throwing people by 7+ yards. He continued his inconsistent training camp today.
- Ramses Barden – Barden, struggling to earn a spot, came up with some nice catches this afternoon, including an impressive sliding grab, but the development of his routes is continuing to be a concern. He looks slow in and out of his breaks, and his pattens just seem to take too long to develop.
- At one point, Antrel Rolle was flagged for pass interference. He picked up the flag and pretended like he was going to throw it across the field. Fans laughed; referees did not.
- After practice, I had a chance to talk to Jerry Reese. I asked him about the "In Reese We Trust" motto and he said "It's only good until we lose again. Then I'll be getting a ton of hate mail again."
- Be sure to "like" Giants 101 on Facebook and to follow Giants 101 on Twitter
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/icy