July 31st, 2012 at 3:55 PM

The NFL announced today that New York Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended four games without pay for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy. The second-year safety will be eligible to continue practicing with the team until the regular season gets underway, and then will be able to return on Monday, October 1st following the team’s September 30th game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I took a prescription drug [Adderall] legally under a doctor's care for an anxiety condition during the off season in March of this year. The purpose was to help me with public speaking appearances. I had no idea that this prescription drug was banned by NFL policy. Although I take full responsibility for this situation, I also want to state that I have never cheated or taken performance-enhancing drugs, and I frown on those who do," Sash said in an independent statement. "I am highly disappointed by the league's decision in this matter, but I will continue to do my best on and off the field. From this point on, I will be more conscientious about every single thing I put in my body. Once again, I want to reiterate that I have never been and will never be associated in any way with performance-enhancing drugs. The timing of this positive test was March 2012, a time during which there is no physical performance required of me. I hope this explanation reinforces my innocence and shows that my intentions were pure.?"

Sash, a 2011 sixth-round draft pick, was in a prime position to land the #3 safety spot going into 2012 after the Giants allowed Deon Grant to hit free agency. However, with Sash now out for the first four games of the season and cornerback Terrell Thomas' season likely over due to a re-injured ACL, Grant's phone will undoubtedly be ringing very soon.

Sash becomes the third Giants player to be suspended by the NFL in the last calendar year, joining running back Andre Brown and former defensive end Jimmy Kennedy. Both of those players appealed their suspensions and won, but Sash has already lost his appeal.

Because today was an off day for Big Blue, no one from the team is available to comment publicly.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tyler Sash

20 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tyler Sash Suspended Four Games for Violating League’s PED Policy”

Wow! This is big news! I’m guessing this could mean Grant even if it doesn’t it means Sash goes from lock to his spot being in question. Especially with a player like Hill flashing. We keep Hill and a vet at the 3rd and 4th safety spots. This is a huge blow to Sash. He has to play really well in the preseason to make it worth keeping him when he returns.

2.  Jackhajb says:

Really?!
    I’m sure Deon Grant is waiting anxiously by his phone right about now…

Let’s just hope Will Hill is mastering that playbook.

3.  JimStoll says:

someone (probably Norm) said it yesterday: the giants should just draft 6 defensive backs every year from here on out until further notice

4.  GIANTT says:

so , when did anyone know he was being investigated ? Is the NFL secretive about it or do they say we are looking into your test ? s-cks for Sash but again can only help the competition . Since they have a full camp complement will someone have to get waived if they decide to bring Grant back and practice ?

5.  GIANTT says:

So , I should have finished reading before opening comments but how is it that
    Sash already lost his appeal and no information was published before this ? is this SOP for the NFL ?

6.  LUZZ says:

How does Adderall make it’s way onto the NFL’s banned list? Or is it a case that Sash is insisting it’s only Adderall while the NFL tests are showing something different?

From what I know about Adderall, I would think it’s a performance decreasing drug.

This greatly limits his chances of being on the final 53 man roster.

7.  kujo says:

Norm has ranted and raved on this issue before, and, as with most topics that solicit the norm treatment, he was dead on. The fact is that if you’re a professional athlete and you are told by ANYONE that you have to or should take this medicine or supplement, your first phone call should be to your player rep or agent to make sure you are allowed to take it. Period. I have no doubt that Sash, Brown and Jimmy Kennedy had anything but magnanimous intentions in mind when they popped their pills. But for being absolutely stupid and failing to do the sensible thing–checking to make sure your livelihood isn’t going to be threatened by taking some medicine–they all deserve their punishments.

Now, bring on Sir Deon Grant. And I hereby request that Paul Tierney be the one to write the forthcoming article about how he represents a significant upgrade via his experience and leadership and skill.

•  Dirt says:

You stole my comment.

Gee, I get drug tested as an NFL player… Yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and not ask if this drug is cool.

•  Paul Tierney says:

Haha don’t hold your breath. As much as I like Deon Grant the person, he is no longer the player he once was. I’d much rather see Will Hill get the nod at the third safety, but maybe Grant would be a good guy to have around for the beginning of the season. After Sash’s suspension, I’m not totally against the idea of brining back Grant anymore. I just hope that some of the younger guys step up to the point where it is no longer necessary.

8.  TuckThis says:

The good news…..it was an off day. No one got hurt.

9.  kujo says:

Btw, lest it go unnoticed by this bit of breaking news, kudos to BLU-82′s comment vis a vis all this mayhem being your run of the mill preseason in Giantsland. Spoken like a true Giants fan–acerbic, self-deprecating and moody. Frank K. would have been proud.

*Adds Sash to the ‘Moron List’*