July 29th, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Following two consecutive practices in which he stole the show, second-year wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan is slowly becoming a person of interest for fans and media alike. But it's not just onlookers who have noticed Jernigan's improvement; his teammates have as well. And prior to Sunday's practice, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning offered some incredible praise for the youngster.

'DSCF8083' photo (c) 2012, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"I’m seeing some flashes of brilliance and some good things," Manning said. "Now it’s continuing to learn. Very familiar with the offense. Consistency, understanding all the ins and outs of it. That just comes with more repetition, more practice, preseason games. All those things will be very helpful."

Jernigan came into camp knowing there was going to be a lot of competition for the third wide receiver spot, and he knew players like Ramses Barden and the returning Domenik Hixon were going to go all out to impress the coaches. It was in his best interest to get noticed early and often, and thus far, that's exactly what he's done.

"Coming in everybody knew there was going to be a competition for this third wideout spot," Jernigan said, "So I had to come in and make a big splash. That’s what I’m looking forward to."

Two solid days of practice is a good start, but Jernigan knows it's going to take much more than that to earn the sort of playing time he covets.

"It’s only two days. We have a whole nother couple of weeks to go so I just have to continue working," he added.

His third practice did not get off to such a good start as he muffed a punt. Luckily, it's still early in the afternoon and he has a lot of time to make up for that mistake.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Jerrel Jernigan, New York, New York Giants, NFL

10 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning on Jerrel Jernigan: “I’m Seeing Some Flashes of Brilliance””

1.  LUZZ says:

Folks keep bringing it up on this site, so I’ll pile on as well. I’ve been watching the NFL network of the training camp coverage and there is absolutely no talk about the Giants. i don’t care from a “disrespect” standpoint but it’s a bummer not to catch any footage of the Giants camp as i watch footage from every other team.

2.  LUZZ says:

Been meaning to post this for the last couple days. I was in Dearborn, MI this week for a few days on work. I stayed at The Henry, which is an a rehabbed Ritz, now a Marriott property, very nice and upscale place. By pure luck the Lions were and are still staying there. I asked the bartender how long they were there and he told me they stay for the whole month of their camp.

Now you can imagine the scene. The hotel has a couple hundred rooms and 110 of them are occupied by the Lions. Needless, to say they were very popular. As you can also imagine the lounges and bars in the hotel were littered with beautiful women.

I’m surprised the Lions organization would run such a loose camp environment. The players staying in a 4 star hotel with working girls all over the place seems wrong to me. I’m not dumb enough to believe that the Giant’s players don’t take part in their fare share of adult fun, but I can’t imagine TC running his camp in this manner. Don’t the Giants stay in a dorm like environment in Albany? I’m sure they are comfortable, but I’m also sure it’s no Ritz with such access by the public.

3.  The Original G Man says:

Luzz – Maybe explains why they’re in the situation they are?

4.  The Original G Man says:

Re: Jernigan

Endorsements don’t get any bigger than that.

5.  Chad Eldred says:

I think that all of us perk up a bit when we hear things like this about Jernigan. We know how important going in to this season it will be for someone to fill the Manningham production. I don’t hide the fact that I think odds are slim to none that Barden can pick up any slack there. Randle is a rookie, it’s unfair to expect him to do so. A lot rides on Jernigan developing into a viable #3. This is encouraging.

Always looking at the glass half empty, I couldn’t help but detect a less that enthusiastic tone when asked about the current group of TE’s on Sirius yesterday. Camp just opened, I’m not implying that the panic button should be hit, but as things progress I’m hoping to hear some encouraging news. Anyone that’s at camp please chime in.

6.  James Stoll says:

Way to early to worry
    I haven’t been at camp but the word on the TEshas been pretty good I thought

•  Chad Eldred says:

Worry is a strong word, but Eli must have said “step up” about six times during the segment. I like Bennett. As far as Pascoe goes, nobody can match Norm’s lack of confidence, but I’m in his ballpark. In my mind someone to fill the second TE role who isn’t named Bear would be comforting.