July 26th, 2012 at 1:07 PM
By Casey Sherman

Today the media met New York Giants' players as they reported for the start of training camp in Albany, New York. One player who seemed to get a lot of attention was newly acquired tight end from the Dallas Cowboys, Martellus Bennett.

Bennett had a lot to say, including that he "felt like Kim Kardashian" after being flashed by photographers stepping out of his Bentley. He also addressed his former team.

"I just want to kick those guy's asses. … I'm kind of pissed off about a lot," he said. "We're cool, but we ain't that cool. I kind of got some ill feelings towards them overall…I kind of hate everybody, honestly, in the NFL."

The ironic thing is he made that comment shortly after comparing himself to Ghandi, the least aggressive person in history. He told everyone he is at peace with himself after studying himself. He continued to contradict his comparison.

"I don't like a lot of people. I'm kind of an asshole," he added.

Bennett has expressed how excited he feels to be playing for the Giants. He knows he has a great opportunity to prove he can be a full-time starter at the tight end position.

"A lot of it is just being happy. For me, it was never an issue with playing ability or being able to make plays. It's realty about being happy and being at peace with myself. So I'm at peace with myself, I'm not at peace with anybody else so I have never been this hungry and this enthused about going to camp," Bennett said.

One thing is for sure, the Giants have a character on their hands who isn't afraid to have some fun. However, talking a big game is one thing, and tomorrow Bennett will be able show everyone how hungry he during the first practice session of training camp.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett on Playing Cowboys “I Just Want to Kick Those Guy’s Asses””

If, and it’s a very big “if”, he matures this season when surrounded by a different environment than the snake pit in Dallas, he could be a big factor for the Giants. He has a lot of talent. Can he corral it and produce? Tune in and we’ll all see.

And really, he isn’t being paranoid about how he was treated in Dallas. No one was in control except Jerry Jones and so the unholy alliance between Tony Romo and his best buddy Jason Witten really left very little opportunity for Bennett. When you know you’re only going to be targeted a few times and that your quarterback really doesn’t even want to look your way, the pressure on a young kid to “make a play” becomes pretty intense and could well tighten up your hands just enough to result in drops. I suspect he really wasn’t given a “fair chance” with that team. Hopefully a new environment will lead to different results based on simply being relaxed and more motivated to work. He’ll know that if he does his job he’ll see the ball. Eli doesn’t play favorites. And Mike Pope will be praising him all season for his blocking, so he’ll feel like a contributor in any case.

Bennett could be one of the really big upside surprises for the Giants this season. Ballard (and Pascoe….sorry norm) did a very respectable job last season, but they are, in the end, no more than average NFL players. Bennett has the tools to be a lot more.

•  kujo says:

Agreed on your take about Bennett and the rest of the TEs; totally disagree with your pollyanna optimism at the end of last thread vis a vis Petrus and the OL.

We’ll see. My view is that Petrus was a beast at Arkansas and should become the same here under good coaching even if he’s a bit slow on the uptake.

And I am actually really happy about Reese’s signing Locklear as insurance at the tackle spot. The guy isn’t what he once was but he has been a pretty solid player for quite some time.

I saw Baas dominate big guys when he was at Michigan and know for a fact that Harbaugh likes him and was sorry the Niners didn’t keep him (and Harbaugh developed a lot of great O-linemen at Stanford so he knows about those Big Uglies).

I think, at worst, Snee will be better-than-average. So I’m not overly concerned about the interior of the O-line. Baas, Snee, Boothe, Petrus and at least one of the depth guys (likely Mosley and Cordle, with the former a “swing” guy who can be prepared to play tackle or guard).

It’s on the outside that there are questions, but are they really so huge? Only if Beatty cannot get healthy. If he can play up to even last year’s standards he’s more than “okay”. And then you’ve got Diehl, Brewer and Lockler fighting for the RT spot, with the two who lose the competition as depth. McCants goes to the practice squad.

Does that really sound so bad to you?

2.  norm says:

I know FOXLIN thinks I’m Marty B’s #1 apologist on this site.

Much as I’d love to lay claim to that title (or ANY title which says I’m #1 in anything) I’d have to cede that honor to my man, jfunk – he of the “Bennett will catch more than 50 balls this year” fame.

Now, I’m not THAT optimistic. But I am optimistic that Bennett’s addition here will provide a huge boost to our running game. The Giants have not had a blocking TE of his caliber here in quite some time. If Bennett does nothing more than block as well as he did in Dallas and grab the 25-35 receptions that Boss and Ballard gave us over the past few years, he’ll more than justify Reese’s rather modest investment in him.

And therein lies the biggest difference between the situation that Bennett will find himself in here as opposed to what he had with the Cowboys. When Dallas spent a high second round pick to draft him, it was with the giddy expectation that Bennett would one day develop into one of new breed TEs; a Gates, a Graham, a Finley. All he turned out to be was a very good blocking TE – who reportedly never whiffed on a pass protection assignment and whose blocking was instrumental to the success of the Cowboy ground game. Sadly for all involved, that was considered an insufficient return on the team’s high initial investment.

So he spent most his time in Dallas tarred with the “bust” label. Here in NY, however, Bennett does not come with the baggage of such heightened expectations. No one here is looking for him to become another Gates or Gronk. If he turns out to be more or less the same player he was in Dallas – well, as we Jews like to say every Passover, “dayenu” (that would be enough) I think Bennett knows that most Giant fans (with the possible exception of FOXLIN and his ilk) will be more than appreciative for his contributions. I think it will come as a welcome relief to not hear himself continually referred to as a “bust” in the shouts of fans and the whispers of his own front office. For the first time in his pro career, he will have the opportunity to simply relax and play his game – and not worry about living up to some unrealistic expectation that he should try and become someone else.

Flame away, FOXLIN.

I agree but I do think Bennett could have an 50 catch impact that jfunk suggests. I think TE is a position opponets don’t respect with us so Bennet will be open as will Hypnoski. We have been a big play passing so I think this year we will find that our TEs, FBs and RBs will be able to get a lot of cheap yards underneath. Though, first Bennett does have to beat out Pascoe.

•  F0XLIN says:

I’ll agree that he will be an asset as a blocker and if he were to catch 35 balls, I’d also consider that a successful season.

My argument was never against his talent or potential, I just can’t buy into this potential. His reputation precedes him, and has done nothing to say otherwise thus far; showing up overweight and couldn’t run at mini camp and not shutting his “Marty B” mouth.

He was virtually ran out of Dallas as not only a bust but a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-****, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is!

•  Grateful Giants says:

Aren’t all cowboys cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-****, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** though? And the Giants are the Shinning light coming from the center of the Modern world.

Or maybe thats just how I envision it.

3.  Grateful Giants says:

Bennett will be, by far, the biggest upgrade on this team from last year. No doubt in my mind.

His contribution to this team will = weatherfords from last year.

4.  Grateful Giants says:

Also, does anyone else think its funny that the Pats are not only stock piling Tight ends, but they are stockpiling former NYG tight ends?

Just thought that was funny too. But a TE from the Giants is a valuable scouting tool, because they must know the ins and outs of the entire offense, blocking schemes and pass routes, as opposed to a RB, or WR who is more focused on one or the other…

5.  norm says:

Well, FOXLIN certainly did not disappoint. I expected a flaming and the man delivered one, big time.

However, I’m starting to fear that my man might actually be a closet Cowboys fan. What other logical explanation is there for the fact that he seems so thoroughly butthurt about the arc of Bennett’s NFL career thus far?

Face it, Bennett’s so-called “reputation” that FOXLIN made reference to is based on the fact that he never lived up to the Cowboys’ initial expectations for him. Jerruh thought he was buying another Antonio Gates when he spent a 2nd round pick on him. When that player never materialized, thus began the narrative that Bennett is “lazy” and “unmotivated.”

Lazy and unmotivated, indeed. Instead of Gates, what the Cowboys got was a player who is arguably the best blocking TE in the game. Yes, it’s true that blocking is often a thankless job. And Bennett certainly received no thanks for the excellent job he did of it in Dallas. Even worse, he got sh@t upon for the fact that he was unable to do more and had his character called into question as a result.

I’d agree with those who would argue that a second rounder is too steep a price to pay for a blocking TE with pedestrian receiving skills. So I can understand why Dallas fans became outraged with the guy. What I simply cannot understand is why any Giants fans would now adopt that outrage as their own.

Bottom line: Jerruh Jones overpaid for Bennett based on a misguided reading of his “potential.” Jerry Reese paid market rate for a very good blocking TE. That’s it. Should it come to pass that Bennett never pans out as the downfield threat in the passing game that Jerruh once believed he could be, I doubt Reese will lose a wink of sleep over it. So I don’t see why any Giants fans should either.

•  Grateful Giants says:

If anything at the end of the day… this def makes the Cowboys running game worse… he should love Bennett, even if Bennett sits on the bench, the Cowboys will NOT be able to run like they did last year. He may have been their best pass protector too. rHomo is in trouble.

I’d be lazy, and unmotivated if I was forced to play for the cowboys too.

•  F0XLIN says: