July 25th, 2012 at 6:30 AM
By Paul Tierney

New York Giants linebacker Michael Boley quietly had a breakout season in 2012. He recorded 93 tackles during the regular season, and made two huge sacks against the Green Bay Packers in the postseason. Although players like Eli Manning, Victor Cruz and Jason Pierre-Paul garnered all the media attention, Boley was perhaps the best player that nobody talked about throughout the playoffs.

'Linebackers' photo (c) 2012, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

However, in an interview with Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger, Boley assured fans that he is not resting on his laurels heading into the 2012 campaign. When asked what he plans to do with his Super Bowl XLVI ring, Boley answered the following.

"l'll put it in a safe-deposit box. There’s no point in keeping it at home. And then, later down the road when I retire, I’ll make myself a nice little trophy room and put it up on the mantle. But for now, it’s all about getting the next one," Boley said.

As training camp approaches, it's refreshing to hear players talk about how they are preparing for the upcoming season. The Giants are coming off of a Super Bowl victory, but that has not stopped the "experts" from picking them to finish third in the NFC East this year. This team still has a lot to prove, and putting away their Super Bowl rings would be a great way to put 2011 in the rearview mirror, and get focused on defending their championship.

Although Boley has never been considered a run-stopper, several fans, players, and mainly coaches have entertained the idea of moving him from the weak-side linebacker spot and into the middle for the upcoming season. 10 years ago, the style of play within the NFL would never allow a team to consider this option. However, after examining the offensive schemes of today's elite teams, Boley realizes that the NFL is evolving into a pass first league.

"Our league has been ever-evolving toward a pass-first league and teams are adjusting. I mean, you never know [if the trend will continue]. There are teams out there who love to run the ball. But if you look at the overall picture, more teams pass than run. And it’s kind of one of those things where the skill guys are getting better every year, so defenses are being forced to play smaller, faster guys," Boley said.

For the Giants to be successful on defense in 2012, Michael Boley must continue to be a force at linebacker. His ability to match up with the league's elite, speedy tight ends and running backs in the passing game has proven invaluable to Perry Fewell's defensive scheme up to this point. This was never more evident than against the Saints last season, when nobody on the team had the ability to cover tight end Jimmy Graham. It was then when people realized hoe important Boley is to the Giants, so its good to hear he is focused on the upcoming season.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Green Bay Packers, Jason Pierre-Paul, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFC East, NFL, Perry Fewell, Super Bowl XLVI, Victor Cruz

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Michael Boley on His Super Bowl Ring: “It’s All About Getting the Next One””

1.  James Stoll says:

Bolely and Canty turned out to be very solid FA signings after agonizingly slow starts (2009). Rolle too has proved his worth making JR appear sharper than ever.
    If Baas can continue the trend of FA signings who after a slow start come on strong, that will be a big boost for Big Blue.
    In the meanwhile, it will be very interesting to see how Perry Fewel deploys the numerous linebackers. Kiwi and Bolely are fixtures at 2 of the positions. After that there is Rivers, Williams, Herzlich, Paysinger, Jones, and Blackburn all vying for time.
    It will also be interested to see if Tracy and/or Sintim can make the squad as the 4th DE.

On my list of players who very easily could be cut this year, Sintim is at the top, followed by Tracy, Beckum, Barden, Brown and Greg Jones. All 6 are at risk due to sheer numbers at their position, injuries or under-performance. Of this group Beckum and Barden are probably the safest, especially Beckum if his knee is healed as our TE position is once again thin and questionable.

2.  Dirt says:

Paul and Boley are right: it’s all about pressuring/hitting the quarterback and covering guys down the field. Anyone who can do that well can play on my team, and we’ll worry about stopping the run later.

Well, SOME of us really liked all of Reese’s free agency acquisitions, most particularly Canty and Rolle. I was also a big fan of the Baas deal, and still am. I think last season was an anomaly for him. I liked the Boley deal too, but wondered if he could hold up well against the run. And I still think the Bernard deal was a great one and has continued to be undervalued by the fans.

Quite frankly, Jerry Reese and his personnel department are just about the primary reason that the Giants have been the best team in the NFL over the past five years. I don’t care about win totals, point differentials, etc. All I know is that they have 40% of the rings over that period, and were the “best team” for most of one of those other three seasons, and that makes them the best team in that half-decade. As wonderful as Tom Coughlin is, and as wonderful as Eli Manning is, it has been the accumulation of talent through the draft and free agency that has given the Giants the opportunity to be champions. When Reese signs a free agent we should all assume that it’s a good signing. He deserves the benefit of the doubt after what he’s done over his young tenure.

As for Boley, he has improved in the Giants’ scheme each year he’s been here. Last year he was great. There’s no reason to assume that won’t be the case this season as well.

And just btw, I don’t think this group of players is just paying lip-service to the thought that last year is now history and they are already focused on repeating. What makes this team so enjoyable to back is that they have accumulated a group of men who have the kind of character that allows the team leaders and coaching staff to keep everyone focused on the goal ahead of them, not to get too full of themselves, and to go about their business professionally while others are finding ways to avoid living up to that standard. So this combination of confidence earned by winning a championship, professionalism, focus, and drive is a heady mix that can take them far if they can manage to stay reasonably healthy.

5.  GIANTT says:

In recent years I had believed the mantra that the Giants value system in the draft did not put a high value on running backs .So to see Wilson drafted in the first round was a complete shock to me and then to find out that perhaps ,if we are to believe reports , he wasnt the first RB on their list either left me in the vernacular completely “gobsmacked ”
    Whats my point ? seeing Boley and a thousand others say

“Our league has been ever-evolving toward a pass-first league”

made the Giants draft pick strategy towards RBs make sense . They valued WRs much more although with a varying success from Senorita Moss to Hakeem Nicks .
    The Giants had success in this strategy and forced the other NFC east Teams to spend more of their resources on corners who could cover them . Asomugha comes to mind . Now the Eagles have a lot of money tied up in a cover corner .
    So , how do you neutralize this expenditure ?
    NOW maybe the Giants decided that a return to a run first philosophy made them wait until a back came along who could now force the other teams to spend depleted resources on defending the running game . Originally it was Tiki
    then Bradshaw and Jacobs early on . So seeing the Giants draft Wilson in the first round says to me anyway that the Giants would not have wasted a 1st round pick on a running back whoever they wanted without believing that that person was going to be a major part of the offense .The Giants were going to morph back to a run first type team . As a thought here , there was many a discussion on whether keeping Manningham was a good strategy or not , in my mind again it was a close one but the money issue was one factor
    and now perhaps letting Manningham go says that the Giants were not going to consider him as a major piece of their offensive strategy especially at what they considered too high a price in offensive usage and money .Whats Bennetts strength ? blocking . I hope Im right otherwise Ive wasted a lot of meds and coffee this morning

I think you are over-complicating this. The Giants are trying to build championship teams. Losing Manningham WAS a loss and it was about cap space. In order to throw successfully you need a legitimate running game (which, btw, the Giants HAD last season over their last six wins on the way to the Lombardi). Jacobs was shot. Bradshaw is not reliable for a full season. They had a huge NEED at running back. They saw a chance to get one of the three any team should have wanted, and they were picking at #32 where he had great “value” based on his explosiveness and what he could do to keep defenses honest.

It wasn’t an “NFC East-specific” pick. It wasn’t playing mind games based upon advanced game theory using players and cap spending as the variables. Wilson, quite simply, improves the team by improving the running game, and his explosiveness is a huge bonus. More to the point, a credible running game is necessary to maximize the value of Manning-Nicks-Cruz. Simple as that.

In today’s NFL the odds of getting beat with the pass far outweigh the chances of being beat by the run.

LBs are getting smaller … safeties are turning into slightly larger, slower CBs … and nickel/dime packages abound.

Boley isn’t small for his position … he’s the prototypical next generation LB.

He, Williams and especially Rivers look like the prototypes: 230-250 pounds, with speed and instincts.

BUT, there will always be room for classic MLBers who are also able to quickly drop into middle zones and disrupt the passing game. Erlacher has been that. The Giants are probably hoping that Herzlich or your boy Muasau can be that.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    I agree 100% with Kujo on our DEs.

I was thinking hearing Osi say what he did and knowing that Tuck has been banged up nearly as much as Osi the last few years could Osi really be fighting Tuck for a long term contract? It sounds crazy I know but what if Tuck has another uneven season like season and Osi posts another 12 plus sack season? We could sign Osi to a long term probably 3-4 year type deal. We still would have Tuck under contract for another year. JPP could be extended with the money not taking effect until 2014. It’s not what I believe will happen but I think it’s possible Osi can play well enough for this to be an option. Osi also is way closer in the intagable categories to Tuck than most give him credit for. I know it just sounds like offseason banter but 20 months ago no one would have thought we would let Smith and Manningham walk in part to keep Victor Cruz. Things can change quickly so I think this scenario is a possibility.

I think Philly’s issue with this current group is that they have been build as a big play team with speed all and talent all over the field. However, I don’t think they have still addressed their toughness questions which is illustrated by their short yardage, redzone and run defense issues. I think if they played in a dome or warm weather they could possibly get by with those issues. But playing in the NE I think those issues will ultimately be their undoing.

kujo says:
    July 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Problem is that Osi is a RDE, as is JPP. Sure, the latter can move all over the place, but his traditional position is the same as Osi’s, who hasn’t played much, if any, snaps from the LDE spot. Not an insignificant thing.

Besides, Tuck is a company man. Dude isn’t going anywhere.

Nosh.0 says:
    July 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM
    Goat brings up a great point and one I have been tempted to make but hesitated because I didn’t feel the backlash was worth the thought. But now that I see someone else has fired the first shot let me follow that up.

If given a choice between keeping one long term; Tuck or Osi, from an on field/production standpoint, it’s not a no brainer at this particular moment. Now, if Tuck goes out and has another all pro year than this discussion has no purpose. But, given Tucks injury history, it’s a legitimate question.

Now Tuck certainly wins on the “company man/ leadership front” – Kujo. Which is a skill that can’t be taken lightly. But from a pure pass rushing viewpoint, I believe Osi has the edge.

Ultimately if given a choice (Assuming Tuck plays at his usual great level this year) I’d have to take Tuck. But it’s a fair question because the skill Osi provides with the speed rush off the edge is a unique one, in the way Cruz’s skill in the slot is more unique than Nick’s on the outside.

Anyway, I think our DLine as a whole, works so well not only because of the amount of quality talent on it, but the skill set each player provides is different, and complements the others. Tucks pure power, Osi’s speed rush, Jpp’s freakish athleticism, and Kiwi being sort of a blend of Tuck and Osi. It makes for a much more formidable group as opposed to just having 4 power rushers or four speed rushers. The unique skill set each brings complements the others well, and I believe makes it that much harder for coaches to game plan against them.

Kujo I think JPP is young enough that JPP can be made a RDE if neccessary without issue. I agree Osi is too old to make a move like that but JPP I feel would be fine and maybe even more effective facing RTs.

I think one factor that gives the scenario a realistic chance is it would give us one more year of the big 3. But it would require another subpar year from Tuck which I don’t expect to happen but with his durability you never know. Then again Osi could have durability issues that make his contract affordable enough long term that we can still keep Tuck. If everyone plays as we hope Osi is gone but if they don’t Osi could very well be back.

This discussion falls into the category of the kinds of problems every NFL team wishes it had.

I’ll make an even more controversial point. I would not dismiss the possibility that the team decides to keep ALL of the defensive linemen even if that costs them Webster and Phillips-or-Rolle. Why not? With that pass rush couldn’t relatively average players do well as defensive backs? I like Hosley and think he will be a really fine corner. I like Amukamara and think he will be a stud. They just signed TT. If I had to choose between Corey Webster and Osi Umeniyora I’m going with Osi every time. I would NOT want to lose Kenny Phillips, but I think it’s a lot easier to find a good deep safety than it is to find a dozen sacks and 4-5 strips per season in part-time play from a defensive end.

So I do NOT think Osi’s departure is a foregone conclusion at all.