The Story Behind New York Giants’ Justin Tuck’s New Facemask

June 26th, 2012 at 6:31 PM
By Casey Sherman

If you thought last season's facemask of New York Giants' Defensive End and Captain Justin Tuck was over the top, then you might find his new design slightly terrifying. His new facemask looks like something out of a comic book. You may ask yourself how a facemask so bulky could prove beneficial. Well Tuck explains that there is actually a reason for the new design; it's not just to be flashy or stand out from the other players, though it certainly does that also.

'Justin Tuck: Calm Before the Storm.' photo (c) 2009, Heath Brandon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Tuck revealed that his opponents were aware of his nagging neck injury and would grab his facemask in an attempt to aggravate it further by jerking his head to the side. Justin got together with the Giants' equipment manager and created a design that leaves very little space for fingers to grab on to.

“We’re just trying to give people not as much surface to be able to grab my face mask”

The design was sent to Schutt Sports and was finished this off-season. There were concerns that a facemask so large would make the helmet too heavy, which could affect Tuck's performance. However, Schutt used titanium, a very light metal, to build the facemask, making the weight a non-issue.

So not only will the new mask eliminate an advantage for his opponents, but many find it to be stylish and flashy. Tuck admits that other players have approached him and asked if they could get the same one.

“Everybody is like, ‘Can I get that facemask?’ No, it’s exclusive to me, no one else can have it. But it’s a copycat league in everything people do so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few of those floating around before we play.”

Hopefully the new mask gets the job done, and keeps Tuck healthy. That way his play on the field can stand out like his facemask certainly will.

Tags: Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL

23 Responses to “The Story Behind New York Giants’ Justin Tuck’s New Facemask”

When did grabbing the facemask become legal?

•  Chad Eldred says:

Half the crap Flozell Adams did on any given play was illegal, but he did it anyhow and got away with it very often. Besides, a fifteen yard penalty doesn’t exactly balance out a career ending injury. Stick with the mask JT.

2.  Casey Sherman says:

That’s a good question

3.  GIANTT says:

An article on cap space

I thought the reason Ballard was waived was b/c the Giants had no space or was it the roster limit of 90 ?
    I assume the a few of those who have a lot of space left still have to sign players (NO and dre brees ? ) but is there a cap floor ?

•  Dirt says:

He was waived specifically to clear roster space (he’d still count against the cap if on IR).

Or, my belief is that they wanted to clear the spot, but also secretly hoped he’d be claimed so his cap space was cleared as well.

There is a cap floor I believe.

4.  kujo says:

You know what I think we need? One or two more articles on the piece of material that covers Justin Tuck’s face. In fact, I think we should do a series of in-depth pieces on the different types of facemasks, jock straps, thigh pads and mouth-pieces throughout Giants history. Heck, we can even turn it into a new feature called “Getting to Know Your Equipment.”

Gold, Jerry. It’s gold!

This is about as off as ‘off season’ can get. There’s just nothing going on.

But actually what you said makes sense … in that this might be a good time to dissect the finer points of the game. I still remember that piece Piglet did on zone defenses … right now we could use more like that.

Just sayin’ … … …

Just one of many ‘bad signs’ from Victor Cruz! superstar… via PFT …

“Victor Cruz has had such a hectic offseason that he looks forward to the relative calm of putting on pads and getting beaten up.

But Cruz has instead focused on plenty of things other than football, hiring IMG to represent his off-field interests, which include writing a book and becoming the new Campbellā€™s Soup pitchman and handing out a Grammy and shopping his Young Whales T-shirt line via among other things a trip to Italy.”

Danger Will Robinson … danger … danger.

•  Dirt says:

He’ll be fine. Eli sells donuts, Toyotas and is unstoppable like his Citizens Eco Drive.

That’s true … but after two Superbowls, two SB MVPs … and a 7 year career that’s pointed towards the HOF Eli’s only now gaining a modicum of celebrity status.

Mr. Young Whales has had one good year.

I’m a Cruz! fan, but I don’t like this. It’s way too much … way too soon. I hope he’s got his head firmly planted on his shoulders and not up his a$$. Only time will tell.

•  BLU-82 says:

Hopefully, he’s just trying to insulate himself from a year of expenses on a small contract with no guarantee of a payday at the end of the tunnel. Injury, performance dropoff, etc can all realistically happen and its crazy to just smile and nod at Reese and not try to grab some extra cash on the side.

6.  Grateful Giants says:

While were on the subject of unrealistic story topics.

I’d like to see a comparison of how many times JPP was held in a given game vs. the actual holding penalties that were called.

The man gets held EVERY play, and I bet he didn’t even get 16 holding calls for him all season long.

I am a little afraid of what the crap the replacement refs are going to bring to the league this year if the regular refs are as awful as they are now.

They are watching for late hits, and helmet to helmet, while COMPLETELY MISSING lineman grab JPP and jump offside far too often.

7.  Chad Eldred says:

It’s late June, the absolute deadest period of time in the football world. The only people who are reading these stories at this time of year are complete dorks. I’m okay with my own membership in that group.

8.  GIANTT says:

Kujo , where so where do these Linebackers wear these paradigms – is it a new piece or something ?

So I see from a previous thread that Nosh is up to his old tricks of aspiring to be the resident cynic. He suggests that disliking New Orleans (the team and the city) is ridiculous and associates it with thinking everything the Giants do is great. Ummm, no. One needn’t have anything to do with the other.

I happen to despise the Saints. Always have, but even more so since Sean Payton (whom I have always thought was low-class, even when he was with the Giants) became their coach, and then even more so when the Sainted Drew Brees took immense credit for “saving” the city after Katrina and then proceeded, along with his “offensive genius” coach, to run up scores on teams in the last 3-4 minutes of games so he could reach some personal records.

I also don’t particularly like New Orleans, which is essentially a welfare ward of the federal government and costs all taxpayers huge sums every year because the corrupt locals allowed their fine city to be built on land that any sentient being knew was not appropriate for the expansion of a city lying low in a watery bayou. There are great things about the place: jazz, food, and cajun/voodoo culture. And the Mannings. But the degree of corruption that runs through the entire region, the celebration of flaunting “bourgeois culture” while depending upon its proceeds to keep the place from sinking into the Gulf, the ridiculous hypocrisy that is far greater than that we all tend to live with each day (personified at this point by Drew Brees and his proclamations against Goodell when he obviously knew exactly what was going on in regard to that bounty system that, according to the Saints’ players didn’t exist, and if it did exist then it was all the coaches’ fault, and in any case, everyone does it, and on and on with the failure to take responsibility for one’s actions which is so typical of New Orleans in general).

I’ll admit, I have loved trips to Nawlins on occasion and have enjoyed some of its sinful pleasures. But I enjoy it while knowing their world is a fantasy and that I will be returning to a more adult, more responsible, world that may not always be as much fun but is far more necessary to the course of civilization.

And no, I don’t think everything the Giants do is fabulous and unassailable. I think they raped the taxpayers in New Jersey and deep-sixed a lot of long-time fans by making ticket prices for even lesser seats way too high. I’m just waiting to see how badly they screw their Coach’s Club members after the three-year period when they cannot raise the seat prices ends after this season and they can give those members a choice of paying even more outrageous season ticket prices or walking from their $20,000/seat investment at a loss. They signed a kid to a contract this year who was charged with armed robbery. They kept a bum like Shockey on their roster for years. Until Pete Rozelle intervened the Mara family was content to see the team sink into decrepitude while the loyal fans knew they couldn’t give up their season tickets because there were plenty of suckers ready to take their place.

But all-in-all, this has historically been a high-class operation and, yeah, a lot of the current players are very high-character and quite intelligent guys. It isn’t naive to suggest that. It’s easy for a cynic to attack that. Cynics hide behind their cynicism thinking that it protects them from claims of naivete and makes them more “knowing”. It doesn’t.

•  giantsfan says:

Completely agree about Sean Payton. He was a good OC. But always thought he was too immature as a headcoach. never liked brees…

•  giantsfan says:

But then again, has Romo ever been clutch? His problem is that he can’t stand strong in the face of pressure. He’s too worried about getting hit. More often then not, he just chucks it up for grabs…

Although, I’ll give him credit for last year. He was the least of the cowturds problems.

The problem with Dallas isn’t Tony Romo. He may not be a top-5 QB, but he’s not the reason they tank year after year.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I’m not going to dump on Romo, he has been a decent QB and Krow is right, he isn’t the sole reason for Dallas being a disappointment. However, if I had to pick a QB to play for me with the eternal damnation of my soul being on the line, I would pick Eli to play for me over Romo without question.

•  Chad Eldred says:

In fact I would pick Eli over any QB with my soul on the line. Twice he has engineered Super Bowl winning drives. In neither case did I doubt that he would get the job done. There is nobody playing right now that I have more faith in. The only time I really believed that Eli would come through and he failed to was the regular season game against SanFran last year. I was in shock when his fourth down pass was batted down.