New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Says He’s “Definitely Making Training Camp”

June 26th, 2012 at 6:27 AM

For the second time in less than a month, New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, who is recovering from a fractured 5th metatarsal of his right foot, has said he'll be back by training camp. This time however, Nicks also told WFNZ Charlotte that he's no longer in a walking boot and had, at one point, started running.

'Eli Manning Warms Up with Hakeem Nicks' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

“Definitely making training camp. I started running about two weeks [ago] but the coaches don’t really want me to force the issue right now so I haven’t [resumed] running yet. They want me to just take my time with it — they feel like that’s what’s best. So right now I’m just taking my time with it. But I’ll definitely be ready for the season,” Nicks said.

Nicks said he knew a bone in his foot was broken the moment it happened, but didn't really believe it was that big a deal as he was able to walk off the field without so much as a limp.

“Yeah, I know right away. I felt it. I heard it in my body. It was like a little snap on the side of my foot. I knew it right away. I walked off the field, didn’t nobody even know," he added. "I just walked off the field and told the trainers on the side, ‘I think I just broke a bone in my foot.’”

The initial projection was that Nicks would miss upwards of 12 weeks, meaning a return sometime in mid-August, but he's remained adamant from day one that he'd be able to return much sooner. Since then, there have also been several reports that the wide receiver out of North Carolina could return in as little as 4-6 weeks. Either way, the Giants will undoubtedly ease Nicks back into the fold only when they feel confident that his foot has healed properly. The last thing they want to do is have him re-injure his foot and miss the week one game against the Dallas Cowboys.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL

23 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Says He’s “Definitely Making Training Camp””

1.  Dirt says:

@ProFootballTalk: Michael Strahan calls Giants treatment of Umenyiora “robbery” http://wp.me/p14QSB-43eG

2.  Dirt says:

I’m extremely worried about this cat Nicks. That is all.

3.  GIANTT says:

I agree , I just hope that Nicks doesnt do the ” I know my body better than anyone else ” and try to come back too soon as tends to happen when these guys dont listen to the doctors . He should go talk to Steve Smith and ask him how it worked out .

4.  Chad Eldred says:

One of the things I’ve learned over the past few years is that when it comes to medical insights in regard to football injuries none of us know what we’re talking about. I’m still bewildered that Andre Brown has a chance to make the roster. And while most of us were correct that Chad Jones would never make the team this season, how many of us really thought he would even show up for OTAs and run out on the field?

So I’m not about to offer a diagnosis of Hakeem Nicks’ foot. But I know this: I’d happily take a few early season losses in exchange for having Hakeem available for the last 12-13 weeks of the regular season and, presumably, the playoffs. If I were the Giants I would be so careful with this guy that fans would get angry with me. I wouldn’t care what he had to say, and I would instruct the team doctors to act as conservatively as justifiable under the circumstances. Of course they want him out on the field, and of course the receiving corps is severely diminished without their best member, but the season is a long one and all they need to focus on is getting to the playoffs and playing well when they get there.

I’ve heard Kevin Gilbride say how unhappy he is that they don’t get the time to work with Nicks on some subtle refinements in his game that they think he needs. Meanwhile, he has become one of the top WRs in the NFL without those refinements, and they can work on them over the course of the season. Nothing suggests Hakeem cannot continue to “grow” as the schedule progresses. But this team cannot afford to lose him because they focused too much on getting him ready for the Dallas game. First of all, I think they can beat the Cowboys without him. Second, a loss, while bad, would be preferable to jeopardizing their second most important offensive weapon in Week 1 of what promises to be a long, tough, but potentially very rewarding, season.

We’d all love to have him out there September 5. And none of us would want his season risked in order to get him dressed for that game. The team will feel the same. Nicks just might be more willing to play at some risk because that’s what players do, especially young ones. So the one quintessential thing is that the team and the doctors must ignore what Hakeem has to say about his condition and make their own, very conservative, judgments.

And as for Strahan, lucky for him he isn’t Tiki. If Barber had said the exact same thing he couldn’t show his face in the city. Why Michael felt compelled to say that is beyond me. I love the guy and what he did for this team, but as a journalist he just moved into the “Ralphie category” of stirrers of trouble for the sake of creating a story.

•  TuckThis says:

I’ll never understand why any of these guys feel compelled to get involved in things that aren’t their business. Exactly right ff55…Tiki would be crucified.

7.  GIANTT says:

Chad , Im sorry but thats c–p – first of all when did he get his MD ? And since I dont see that hes had the injury before and knows what its about he has to listen to the best of the best experts on these type of injuries and WAIT until they say its OK I hate to be crass about it but the wrong decision here could cost the Giants games and Nicks contract money so Im not going along with

“Nicks knows his body better than anyone else, he should come back as soon as he feels he’s ready.”

Starhan should see if he can get the minimum wage increased … instead of lobbying for more money for a 31 year old multi-millionaire.

9.  Chad Eldred says:

But in all seriousness I do think that it can be futile in some sense to treat the injuries with too much delicacy. You can wait a few extra weeks to be “on the safe side” and have Nicks tear an ACL in his first game back. It’s all calculated risk, but the word risk will never be eliminated from the conversation. If the docs and the player all feel the injury is healed, get out and play.

10.  Grateful Giants says:

Two things,

First, I had that injury in college (I am no professional athlete) but its a tough one to recover from with out the surgery (which Nicks had). If you think about it, every step you take will affect that exact spot on your foot. When I had a cast, they put it up past my knee so that my foot, ankle and leg did not move at all… I didn’t get surgery, and was able to walk fine after about 6 weeks but its just a delicate issue for a guy who makes his money moving his feet and using his hands.

My other thought is that Nicks wants to make sure he is still in good condition. I think it was Kenny Phillips who said that after his surgery, the first year he got back he was still trying to get his conditioning up for a football season, the second year after the surgery, he was able to start to work on his football “skills” and maturing as a player. I don’t think that Nicks should be running earlier than his foot is completely healed, but with the best Dr.s in the world working on him, his previous ability to recover pretty quickly, and the want/need to play with Eli, and teach the youngsters, I totally understand why he is pushing himself, not that I agree with it.