May 7th, 2012 at 6:30 AM

When New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora created a Twitter account earlier this month, major headlines were anticipated. Thus far, he hasn't disappointed. However, the news being made isn't exactly what was expected of him, as he's routinely praised General Manager Jerry Reese, expressed his desire to remain with the team and kept and a relatively cool head.

On Saturday, that continued when a fan asked him if some of his tweets were subtle messages towards Reese.

"No subtle messages directed at Mr. Reese. Jerry will always be my guy no matter what happens," Umenyiora tweeted.

This isn't to say Osi has caved on his desire for more money or a new contract; he certainly hasn't done that. However, he promised not to be a distraction this offseason and swore his public complaints were a thing of the past. So far, on the world's largest soap box, he's done a great job living up to his word.

With less talented defensive ends wracking up big money all around him, there's something to be said about how quiet Umenyiora has remained. He could be making a much larger stink than he is (perhaps rightfully so), but he's just going about his business, preparing for another -and possibly final- season with the New York Football Giants.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

23 Responses to “New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora: “Jerry Reese Will Always Be My Guy No Matter What Happens””

1.  Dirt says:

Oddly enough, Vacchiano hasn’t reported this side of the story.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Has anyone else? It’s not flashy and dramatic.

•  kujo says:

He’s also not reported all the snide little comments that Osi has made on his Twitter account. Like his “that’s nice. very nice” comment when Schefter reported that DE Cameron Wake had received a contract extension, or when he responded to a fan saying he deserved a new contract by saying “why would they do that? Its not like we have won any championships or anything like that. Hahahahaha just kidding. Thanks man.”

If there’s one thing you can rely on, it’s that Dirt will stop by whenever the integrity of his beau, Osi, is impugned.

2.  kujo says:

Joe-Joe ? @JJOOEEY
    @OsiUmenyiora @TheBlueScreen what ever happened to pro athletes plating out their contracts THEY agreed to? Seems like a pre maddona

Osi Umenyiora ? @OsiUmenyiora
    @JJOOEEY same thing that happened to the dinosaurs. They are extinct because they didnt evolve #truth

3.  kujo says:

Eli’s “Little Brothers” sketch…definitely worth a watch!

For once I think I’m going to end up being right. I said long ago that I expected Osi to play out his contract then go elsewhere. It just seems too logical. Osi knows the only way to make the money he wants is to have a big season. With a big season he could be worth 9-10 mil per year. Wake is also 30 and got 10 mil plus per year. For us he’s probably only worth 5-6 mil per year for only 2-3 year with low guarantees.

•  kujo says:

Right. Plus, Wake is on the Dolphins, who have recently perfected the art of doing the wrong thing wrongly. Wake is a very good player, but that’s quite a contract for someone who is not a Top 5 or 10 defensive end/pass rusher in the NFL.

Yeah, he’s crazy not to go. I don’t blame him one bit if he can get that kind of contract. He’d be out of his head to stay.

But at the end of the year … when he does leave … if we don’t have our 5th Superbowl trophy … or at least made a good run at it … then we were idiots not to have traded him.

Just some love for JR:

Brandon Graham has high hopes for 2012

Two years ago, the Eagles selected defensive end Brandon Graham with the 13th overall pick in the draft.

Two years later, the Eagles have Trent Cole and Jason Babin and they devoted a second-round pick to another pass rusher, Vinny Curry of Marshall.

Graham hasn’t had a sack since November 2010. He suffered a serious knee injury the following month, he needed microfracture surgery, and he appeared in only three games last season.

But he isn’t down in the dumps, any more. “I just can’t wait [for this season] because everybody’s opinion will change — even though they’ll still say what they want to say. What I do on the field will speak for itself,” Graham tells Geoff Mosher of the News Journal.

First, Graham has to get on the field. Cole and Babin are the starters, Curry is the newcomer, and guys like Darryl Tapp are still on the depth chart.

Graham thinks he still has the faith of the coaching staff. “They know I’m working,” Graham said. “They see it’s important to me. I just can’t wait to go out there and show them how much this season means to me.”

This offseason, Graham has dropped 20 pounds, from 285 to 265. And G.M. Howie Roseman says that the addition of Curry doesn’t mean Graham is on the outs.

“I don’t see Brandon Graham needing any more motivation that he already has. He knows what’s on the line for him,” Roseman said. “He seems incredibly focused to all of us and in great shape. And he’s a talented guy and he’s healthy and that’s important.”

It’s more important that Graham begin to fulfill the potential that made him the 13th overall pick in the draft. Especially as the man taken two picks later — Jason Pierre-Paul — becomes one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, for one of the Eagles’ biggest rivals. And that’s all the more reason for the powers-that-be to give Graham every opportunity to develop.

I don’t follow Twitter, largely because I believe that focusing on the not only daily but literally minute-by-minute happenings among those one follows guarantees a lack of perspective. Attention spans are already short enough. Broader views of the world are sadly in retreat as the “instant” becomes the focus.

The above explains why people are so missing the mark regarding Osi Umeniyora. It literally makes no difference what he’s tweeting, or what he thinks about the justice of his current contract this moment. What matters is whether he can stay healthy and play a full season at the level he played last year. If he can, watch out for the Giants because they’re coming to get you.

Osi needs a BIG year to justify the contract that he wants (and he WILL have plenty of suitors if he’s healthy….remember, Strahan played his best football in his 30′s and many great defensive ends played into their mid-30′s). Tuck will be much healthier. JPP is a year wiser. Trattou will, IMO, more than replace Tollefson’s production. Joseph started to look dominant toward the latter part of last season. Canty played at a Pro Bowl-worthy level. Austin may be raw but he is quick and powerful and gets penetration. Kiwi is a defensive back playing linebacker. Williams, Boley and Rivers can ALL get to the quarterback from the outside. There are going to be a lot of very unhappy quarterbacks in the league this season, among them the guys who have to play against the Giants in 2012 if Osi is still here and still healthy, both of which I expect to be the case.

Twitter that.

7.  Dirt says:

kujo, all I want to see is some sort of balance. I hate to see an important player get dumped on by and exiled by fans because they see one side portrayed. That’s all. You, me, anyone else here, we can say anything we want. Professional journalists, in my naïve fantasy land, shouldn’t cherry pick.

On a related note, honest question, has anyone ever produced a quote where Osi actually called Reese a “liar”? Or was it just a stretching of affidavit stating why a lockout was causing irreparable harm? On the other hand, I do see a quote here where he says “Jerry will always be my guy”.

I think you can google it up. It was pretty common knowledge. Now whether it was an off-handed, heated exchange … with little thought … that may very well be the case. But he did say it.

Osi is like a Rorschach test. People bring their own issues to the observation of him.

He is a great player, when he’s healthy. Yet people deny that. He has been unable to stay healthy, yet people ignore that. He is a difference-maker. Many don’t want to acknowledge that, and would rather focus on the fiction that he is awful against the run (he isn’t JPP, Tuck or Strahan against the run but is FAR from awful). He is “selfish”, “ungrateful”, “smart for trying to get money when he can”, “dogging it purposely”, or “playing great while in pain”, depending on one’s perspective. Osi has an interesting, complicated personality and a kind of perspective that is shared by many players but articulated by few. Only an iron-willed GM could have dealt successfully with him. Reese has, much to the benefit of the Giants and their fans.

There is unlikely to ever be a consensus regarding Osi. I’m just glad he’s been here and helped a LOT in winning us two Lombardi Trophies.

To be honest … I have to believe that in light of all these contracts we’re seeing … that I’ve under-valued the number. Maybe Osi IS worth more … maybe he is in that $10-mil-a-year range. Not the 7 I was thinking.

It doesn’t help us sign him. But I’m starting to feel that I was wrong … or outdated … about the figures.

Krow – No we are not making a mistake if we don’t trade Osi and not making at least a SB run. Who says trading him will get us another good player? As good as JR is a 2nd pick isn’t any guarantee of a good player. See Sintim. We know what Osi is. Even if we do draft a good player we are likely talking 2014 or 2015 until this player has a huge impact. Plus if Osi gets a big deal like Norm has pointed out we will get something like a 4th round comp pick in 2014.

I always use the Seynour example with with NE but an example closer to home is Philly. Philly has always been credited with getting rid of players to reload effectively. But I think there were times they needed to keep a vet and risk losing him to put them over the hump. There’s a difference in giving up on a player like Jacobs who’s past his prime and MM who’s out of our price range. Osi is under contract for 4 mil. I don’t think anyone would argue that’s a great deal given Osi’s talents. So why not see what happens? We are in it to win it IMO not to just be in the mix.

•  kujo says:

Sintim wasn’t/isn’t a bad player. He’s just suffered myriad injuries, and never gained any traction on this team. It’s sad, but not an indictment of Jerry Reese.