May 5th, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Can you imagine New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora with a soap box? Well, imagine no more. The two-time All-Pro has decided to create his very own Twitter account, and is slowly amassing a legion of followers.

The account, which was created on May 3rd, has already been verified by Twitter and filled with some pretty interesting tweets from the "African Prince."

"And fyi, i dont always play defensive end. But when i do, i prefer to play it for the NYG. Stay thirsty my friends," he tweeted early Saturday morning.

Umenyiora also had an interesting exchange with teammate William Beatty, whom he told to "Enjoy the camp ass whippings u will be receiving." Of course, that immediately prompted questions from fans about a holdout -or lack thereof- to which Osi simply replied "i cant even tell u what that means. Hahaha."

Perhaps the most telling tweet of all was one of Osi's first, in which he wrote "Im probably the wrong guy to have a twitter acct by the way."

Hold onto your hats, folks. Things are about to get wild and crazy.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

9 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora: “I Don’t Always Play DE, but When I Do, I Prefer to Play It for New York Giants””

1.  James Stoll says:

I’m going to my twitter account to follow Osi right now

2.  James Stoll says:

What’s his handle?

I tell ya … we’re so much better off if Reese finds a way to keep him.

4.  kujo says:

Oh, and if Samard is reading, phuck Chelsea!

Liverpooooool

There IS a way that Osi could continue to play for the Giants for another 3-4 years. But it’s an outside shot. I don’t think Reese can get him to sign an extension now because Osi overvalues himself and probably won’t get realistic until he sees what he’s offered by other teams in free agency. But if they don’t burn their bridges why wouldn’t Osi want to come back to the Giants for roughly the same dollars he can get elsewhere?

But Reese will NOT overpay. Remember, if someone is willing to pay Osi $8MM per annum the Giants would get a pretty darn good comp pick (no worse than 4th round and probably 3rd). And having tied up Kiwi and probably extended JPP after this season, plus probably finding that a linebacking corps of Boley, Williams, Rivers, Herzlich, Blackburn, Jones and others can get the job done absent Kiwi, Reese will calculate a value for Osi that is probably about $5.5-6MM per annum for three years with $10MM guaranteed. That’s probably not enough today but might be after Agnone makes the rounds of GMs in the off-season. Especially if Osi so much enjoys playing with the guys in his locker room and wants to get another ring or two to create a legendary career that he would give a home-team discount to the Giants. But as I started by saying, it’s a long-shot.

We are 12-1 odds to win the Superbowl.

Naturally there’s no scientific basis for it. But if we use it simply as a ‘rule of thumb’ then the plain fact is that one more year of Osi won’t mean a damn thing. It’s hard to win one … damned hard to repeat.

This is the real argument over whether to trade him or not. It’s not a comparison of ’4-5 more years and another shot at a championship’ vs. a 2nd round pick.

It’s nothing vs. a 2nd round pick.

So if Reese really feels he’s got virtually no chance of signing him then at least a trade gets us something. However if he does think a deal can be reached then no trade short of a blockbuster makes any sense.

7.  GmenMania says: