May 5th, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Only a few short months ago, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat…at least according to many pundits. His team was 7-7 and starring at a third consecutive season without a playoff appearance. Fans were beginning to scream for his head and the magic of the 2007 season had completely worn off. Fast forward to now, and Coughlin has won his second Super Bowl title with Big Blue and earned himself an upcoming contract extension. As a result, the talking heads have done a complete 180 and the National Football Post recently recognized him as the second best head coach in the game.

"Two Super Bowl wins since 2008 as well as the uncanny ability to deliver when he’s pressed up against it has the Big Blue boss right near the top of our rankings. To borrow a phrase from Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, Coughlin’s a stalker who likes to race just behind the lead pack before making his move down the backstretch when it’s time to go for the kill," Joe Fortenbaugh wrote.

One might immediately assume New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick rests comfortably at number, but not so fast. Three victories over Belichick (two Super Bowl's, one regular season game) has propelled Coughlin over his nemesis in the rankings, but it's actually Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz who sits atop the league.

Whether or not you agree with who the rankings, it's still nice to see Coughlin garner some of the respect he deserves. Like Eli Manning however, nothing he does will ever be enough to have him considered the best in the game.

Under Coughlin, the Giants have had only one losing season. They were 6-10 in his first year (2004) as head coach.

Tags: Bill Belichick, Football, Jim Schwartz, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

17 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Ranked #2 in National Football Post’s Head Coach Power Rankings”

Jim Schwartz. Well, so much for this ranking having any meaning.

2.  ERICHONIUS says:

Schwartz!?… Schwartz!?… really!?

3.  Dirt says:

*That* Jim Schwartz?

4.  Luv2Salsa says:

Tom Coughlin is one of my favorite people. He is perfect for keeping the lid on the pressure cooker that is New York sports. Those so called “experts” who jump on the “dump TC bandwagon” at first sign of trouble, know nothing of how he is regarded by the owners and what they expect from him.

The Mara’s and Tish’s have vision for the type of “product” that they sell. No cheer leaders. No marching bands. No locker room controversies. No media malcontents. Just good ol’ fashioned football. Play the game; win championships and enjoy the success that follows.

For molding that product each season, there is none better than Tom Coughlin.

•  TheCatch says:

As per Osi’s comment “Enjoy the camp **** whipping u will be receiving” That to me sounds no different than a player on one team talking shvt to a player on another, but in this case it’s camp where it’s defense against offense. It reads of someone proud of his “defense team” preparing to go up against the camp “offense team”. I LIKE IT!!!!!

•  TheCatch says:

Speaking of quotes I was surprised that the quote posted here the other day (attributed to an Eagle asst coach I believe), that Marvin Austin would be a force to be recogned with received no comments. I had seen an interview given by Phil Simms a few weeks after the Super Bowl where he used almost the exact words. As if the pressure we can bring isn’t over the top already (Osi included) – just imagine…. Seriously these are people in the know , I have to believe that once he gets back up to speed, with our walking wounded back and our new additions in place we are in for a treat. “D FENSE, D- FENSE, D FENSE” !!!

•  TheCatch says:

Both the Simms quote and the lastest were statements made without someone asking them about Austin, which to me is telling in itself. Simms was talking about the 2011 D, and injected his comment out of the blue mentioning no one else (like getting TT back) but Austin when he turned his thoughts to 2012. The recent other one was apparently tweeted for whatever reason by this coach. My point is those in the inner circles have apparently heard really big things about DT. Let’s hope

•  norm says:

I doubt those quotes tell us anything more than what we already know.

And what we already know is that Austin is a man with freakish speed and agility for someone his size and that if he can harness all of those tools in a football context, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

What we don’t yet know is how ready he is to play NFL football after being away from the game for two years.

I’d say the likelihood that Simms and/or the Eagles asst coach have some inside skinny on Austin’s readiness for the 2012 season is none. Especially considering that Reese is already on record as saying that he has no idea how ready Austin will be to play this year.

I’m excited about Austin’s promise , too. But I can’t shake the feeling that 2012 is going to be a redshirt season for him.

5.  norm says:

I’d argue that the name most deserving of the top spot on that list is John Fox.

I don’t think there was any NFL head coach faced with a tougher set of circumstances last year:

Came in as a first year head coach following a lockout;

immediately faced with choosing between the mediocre journeyman Orton and the cult figure Tebow as his starting QB;

forced by a horrible start and increasing fan pressure into scuttling the ineffective Orton and installing the equally dreadful Tebow as the #1 signal caller;

retooled the offense on the fly to make optimum use of Tebow’s limited skill set;

improbably wound up in the postseason and actually won a playoff game;

and, finally, assisted Elway in selling Denver to Peyton, providing the Broncs with their only possible escape hatch from the insane Tebow circus.

Considering where he began, what he had to work with, and where he and his team ultimately ended up, John Fox did as masterful a job of coaching as you will ever see in this league.

6.  Samardzija says:

Samardz is always reading Kujo.

CHELSEA FC!!!! CHAMPS!!

•  Dirt says:

Apparently Chelsea, the Blues, like Big Blue, beat a team who shares ownership with the Boston Red Sox?

Hell yeah go Chelsea!

I’ve just started watching soccer the last few months. I’ve taken Chelsea as my team because they’re blue, their goalie wears a helmet and they have Didier Drogba.

The 2011 Dirt would never have made this post.

•  Samardzija says:

Welcome aboard lol. Yeah Liverpool are owned by JWH.

Chelsea are playing the equivalent of the Super Bowl on the 19th of May if you didnt already know..

7.  purorock says:

Yeah, I agree… the fact that Schwartz is ranked first, implying Schwartz can out coach and coaches better than Tom Coughlin, nullifies this list. How about Coughlin taking a 4-12 team and turning it around… taking 2 teams to a Super Bowl Championship and another (Jacksonville) to an AFC Championship… I poop on this list.

It’s perfectly fine that these lists and rankings engender conversation, but anyone who takes any of them seriously is sadly misguided. I couldn’t care less who these guys rank as the best coach, nor who those other guys rank as the best player in the NFL in 2011. In 2011, certainly, the answers were Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning, but the imprimatur of the “experts” is as meaningless as the beauty contest run by the players. As I recall, the experts were pretty unanimous in declaring the Giants a very unlikely playoff contender for 2011, the MLB players were those who rated Jeter the “most-overrated” player in the league, and the 2010 cohort of players saw fit to leave Eli off their Top 100 list entirely. I rest my case.

•  norm says:

It goes without saying that these kind of lists are pure fluff. But within the context of this discussion, I’d take issue with the idea that one need look no further than the coach of the Super Bowl winner to determine who is deserving of being crowned the “best” in a given year.

Of course, TC did do a fantastic job in keeping his team focused and together during an adversity-filled season. But as great of a job as he did, it would not have been possible without the otherworldly play and unruffled leadership of Eli Manning.

And therein lies the crux of the problem in using the metric of wins and losses to evaluate the performance of a head coach. Pretty much without exception, ALL of the winningest coaches today enjoy the services of an elite QB. Belichick has Brady; McCarthy has Rodgers; your good buddy Payton has Brees; and, of course, TC has Eli.

Which is why I singled out John Fox for praise in my earlier post. To say he lacked an elite QB in 2012 would be the understatement of the decade. I believe “clusterfvck” would be a more accurate term to describe the QB situation he inherited in Denver last year. But against all odds, Fox somehow made it work and managed to get more out of that position than anyone could have reasonably expected. That he was able to do so amidst the non-stop madness of the Tebow media carnival made his accomplishments even more impressive. As I said, it was as good a coaching job as you will ever see in this league. Yes, better even than that which we saw from Coughlin in 2012, IMHO.

All true, but since I reject the premise of “the best” in a team sport anyway, I can’t get excited about the whole debate. But Fox did a great job, for all the reasons you’ve explained.