Newest SNL Promo, Featuring New York Giants’ Eli Manning and Rihanna, Released

May 4th, 2012 at 4:00 PM

In a little over 24 hours, New York Giants quarterback and two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning will be hosting Saturday Night Live. As the show inches closer, NBC has begun to rapidly release promos, including their most recent which features both Easy-E and musical guest Rihanna.

On Friday afternoon, it was also revealed that Manning may be using his vocal cords a bit on Saturday night.

“I might be testing my musical skills,” the Giants quarterback said. “Some singing, maybe some dancing. So, you know, there’ll be a few things people probably have never seen me do many times before. It should be fun.”

Eli has taken advice from older Brother Peyton, and has really just enjoyed his week. In fact, he's gotten a little too comfortable, says actor Seth Meyers.

"He’s trusting us, which might turn out to really burn him in the end," Meyers said.

It's shaping up to be a great show, so don't forget to set your DVRs!

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rihanna, Saturday Night Live, Seth Meyers

11 Responses to “Newest SNL Promo, Featuring New York Giants’ Eli Manning and Rihanna, Released”

Repost:

norm says:
    May 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    While it’s undeniable that the draft is important and that successful teams build through the draft, I believe the value of individual draft picks has become wildly overrated.

Much of that is due to the growth of the draft as a spectacle unto itself. It’s arguably second only to the Super Bowl as the most anticipated event in the NFL calendar.

I’m old enough to recollect the days before the internet, heck, before the draft was even on TV. I’d go out the day after, pick up the Daily News and read a brief blurb on each of the players selected. These would inevitably include at least 3-4 quotes from the front office or coach lauding the upside of some late rounders from East Jesus Bumfvck State. My friends and I would always get a good laugh. We did not know Thing One about 95% of the players… but we at least knew enough to realize that in 2-3 years time, 3/4 of them would be glued to the bench or out of the league entirely.

Nowadays, with all the time spent prior to the draft dissecting, discussing, analyzing, and arguing the pros and cons of dozens of players, even college football ignoramuses such as myself can delude themselves into believing that they have a real handle on how those late rounders from East Jesus Bumfvck State will fare in the NFL. Then, after the fact, if our team selects a number of players with whose names we are at least familiar, we’re pleased. The selection of, say, a “name” like Orson Charles will always generate far more positive buzz than that of an Adrien Robinson. This tendency to expect more favorable outcomes for those things with which are more familiar is known in high-brow scientific circles as the “availability heuristic”.

The reality, of course, is that just because we know infinitely more about these players than was possible in the pre-internet, pre TV draft days, the expected outcome has not changed a bit. In 2-3 years time, 3/4 of the players selected last weekend will wind up either glued to the bench or out of the league entirely.

That’s just fact… but given all of the time – not to mention psychic and emotional energy – we as fans have put into thinking about many of these drafted players, it’s one that’s very difficult to accept right now. Were one to do an informal survey of the fan boards of all 32 teams, one would conclude that at least 100 sure fire Pro Bowlers were selected last week. Put that way, it seems a preposterous notion… but try telling your average Bears fan that their fifth round “steal” will turn out to be nothing more than a “depth guy.” It won’t be happily received.

I got to thinking about all this apropos of the ongoing conversation re: Osi. The school of thought (which appears to have more than a few faculty members) which suggests Osi’s value to the team can be adequately replaced with a draft pick or picks seems fatally flawed – largely for the reasons enumerated above. Simply put: Osi is a known quantity and draft picks are not. And what that “known quantity” happens to be is one of the premier pass rushing specialists in the league – the type of talent teams will often spend two, three, or four high draft picks on before they luck into one who is as skilled.

The old adage “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” comes most readily to mind here. That would still be true if the “bird” will only be “in hand” for only one more year and the “two in the bush” happens to be a first round pick. Considering that no first round pick will be forthcoming, there’s really no package of draft picks that can sufficiently compensate for the loss of Osi. Period.

That’s my opinion… and I’ve a strong hunch that it’s one that Reese is in complete agreement with.

fanfor55years says:
    May 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Well, I’m on record as saying it would take TWO #1 picks for Reese to be interested. I know that sounds crazy to some, but I think it’s true, for all the reasons you and I have cited. The Ravens’ 2nd pick next season, if they were playing with Osi, would be somewhere between #55 and #64. Not even CLOSE to a sure thing. Yes, our draft group is tremendous, but we still took Sintim and a few other questionable picks late in the 2nd round in the past.

You NEVER know with a draft pick. The Redskins may or may not ever get the value out of RGIII they expect. There are at least 6-7 first-rounders this year who will never amount to much (I don’t know which ones, but they will show up over the next few years).

Osi’s not just a Bird-in-the-Hand. He’s a FUNDAMENTAL part of what this team does that is crucial to their winning championships, and he is the best turnover-generator most have ever seen on a defensive line. Reese knows this. he would have to be knocked off his feet to give that up. he won’t be, so he won’t.

GOAT56 says:
    May 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Norm -I agree this is part of the point I made weeks ago when I originally stated why I felt we should keep Osi. Plus even if we draft another Osi with the draft pick we are waiting until 2014 or 2015 for the same production.

F55 – That’s the case for any draft pick. You don’t know if the pick will be good. But if you are right you have a player for many years, the first 4 or 5 pretty cheaply. 2 first rounders is just way too much because you also have to pay the player. Not many non QBs are worth 2 1st rounders period.

fanfor55years says:
    May 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Not too many quarterbacks can change a game the way Osi can, and he’ll keep doing it for 3-4 more years. Don’t get me wrong. If I were Newsome I wouldn’t even offer ONE 1st round pick. But my point is that Reese has no reason to trade him unless he gets WAY too much in return. He isn’t going to, and shouldn’t, trade him for a 2nd and a 4th, or anything close to that. He has him for this run at a championship (if Newsome has reason to think “Win now” why would Reese have any less reason to think that way?…he’s actually got a better team unless he gives up Osi to the ravens, which evens things out more), and he may even want to, and be able to, keep him beyond this season if future circumstances so allow and dictate.

The trade will not happen unless Newsome loses his mind.

I think baltimore is even more so in a win now mode than us because they haven’t won a SB with this group (save for Ray), Ray and Ed Reed or on their last legs. Those are 2 of the top defenders in the NFL the last 2 decades. I think they want to try to win one with them before they retire. And both probably only have a year or 2 left playing. Our great players are in their primes so while we fully want to win now we will have future chances with most of our group.

I think JR values Osi but not to the level you are stating. Asking for 2 ones is the equivilant of saying we are not trading Osi. If JR felt that way he would have stated it long ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if JR took a 2nd and 4th if offered for Osi. Now neither of us would make that trade but JR seems to be willing to trade. Maybe not that specific trade but something not too far draft pick wise from that type of offer.

•  Samardzija says:

Damn son.. Cliffs?

2.  norm says:

Expect to see this early next week:

TV Review

Eli Manning Hosts Saturday Night Live
    by j. charles

Dayummm… that was some seriously funny ish

is there anything TGEM can’t do?????? Football? hell yeah, he got that. Comedy? yeah, he got that too.

remember – hating on Eli is like hating on yourself. ugly people say he looks funny. stupid people say he has down syndrome. and if you don’t think TGEM killed it last night on SNL, then you ain’t got no damn sense of humor.

Fans of lesser qbs will go on and on about how peyton was better and because ELI is not as good as the GOAT he is a bust. etc….

Child, please.

And Aaron Rodgers? saying he might do SNL himself someday if he has the time? now that’s funny… funnier than anything he’d ever do LIVE TV. Dude is a system comedian, fine doing his little belt thingy on a car insurance commercial but definitely not ready for prime time with the not ready for prime time players.

The next time somebody starts hating on Eli tell them: TWO super bowl rings and ONE SNL appearance, brah. the dude saying Eli should never do comedy… he is a cowboy fan…. i mean we all know they have an inferiority complex…

I was laughing WITH Eli on saturday night and I will laugh AT any fool who tells me that TGEM ain’t funny

I’m j charles and I approve this message.

With all the floating testosterone around here I am really surprised at the absence of the comments about the incredible hotness of Rihanna. The girl is smoking.

•  kujo says:

I’m not traditionally attracted to African-American women. But I’d get Rihanna like a broken screen door in a hurricane: “whackwhackwhackwhackwhack!”

(In all honesty, she’s hot but she’s got a case of the crazies. Her boyfriend, or whatever he is, is another famous R&B artist who beat the ever lovin’ sh*t out of her a few years back. I’m talking bruises, gashes, bite marks, etc. It was a whole big thing…and now she’s back with him. Clearly she’s got some problems, and it’s hard to unsee that)

Well, I’m not up enough on pop culture to have known about the boyfriend, and my wife is a Scottish/English/German WASP from Kansas (who is in her 50′s but looks both young and beautiful), but whatever ethnicity or color that girl is she is unbelievably beautiful. To hell with Eli. I’d watch that show anyway.

•  norm says:

I thought her boyfriend is the Dodgers’ star, Matt Kemp.

•  Eric S says:

She was with Kemp but apparently he preferred hitting baseballs soooo…back to the ex.

•  Samardzija says:

Her elbows are too pointy. Seriously though, she needs to get in a squat rack and work on that non existent butt of hears…