Jonathan Goff Signs with Washington Redskins

April 30th, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The long and uncertain offseason for linebacker Jonathan Goff has finally come to an end. He'll return to the NFC East in 2012, but it will not be as a member of the New York Giants. Instead, the middle linebacker has signed with the Washington Redskins.

Despite missing the entire 2011 season after suffering a torn ACL, Goff seemed like a certainty to return to Big Blue. However, as days turned into weeks and weeks into months, it became apparent that the two sides weren't close on a new deal. Goff began visiting other teams, and General Manager Jerry Reese eventually reached back out to Super Bowl XLVI hero Chase Blackburn, and ended up signing him to a new one-year deal.

In 37 career games with the Giants, Goff collected 107 tackles, two sacks, one interception and seven stuffs. He had an incredible football IQ and showcased some improved agility prior to his injury a year ago.

With Goff now in Washington, Blackburn, Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones and possibly even Michael Boley will compete for the starting Middle Linebacker job.

Financial terms of Goff's new deal have not yet been made public.

Tags: Football, Jonathan Goff, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins

27 Responses to “Jonathan Goff Signs with Washington Redskins”

1.  norm says:

Jerry Reese: The best GM the Washington Redskins and Oakland Raiders (n)ever had.

I think a 3-4 inside LB might be a better fit for his skills.

3.  norm says:

Chalk up another comp pick for 2013.

•  norm says:

Free agents lost (off the top of my head):

Ross
      Mario
      Jacobs
      Tollefson
      Goff

Did I forget anyone?

Free agent signed:

Marty B.

Should be good for at least 2-3 decently placed comp picks next year.

I think we released a number of those guys before they were signed, so it won’t be as good as you suggest, if I understand the comp rules properly. It’s a bit of a black art.

•  jfunk says:

I THINK the only player released was Jacobs. The rest were expiring contracts, which I believe all count in the “formula”, whatever it is.

•  norm says:

Yeah, you’re correct. Jacobs was released prior to the end of his deal and then was signed by SF.

But I believe he was the only player on that list who did not leave as a UFA. And I forgot to include the signings of Locklear and Rogers, which may further offset whatever gains we may have made by our UFA departures.

I don’t pretend to have any comprehension of the workings of the whole comp pick formula myself. But I suspect you’re right in suggesting that it won’t turn out to be the haul I had originally hoped.

My bad; I suppose I just got giddy thinking about what Reese could do with all those extra picks.

•  jfunk says:

A lot of it depends on relative production. It’s a “net loss” kind of thing.

If Manningham goes to the pro bowl, it’s a big “loss” to the Giants. If Bennet does as well though, that “gain” could offset it to zero.

Devon Thomas also was signed. I think someone like Benard, Grant or McKenzie could be re-signed as well. So it still looks to be a comp pick or 2.

Good for Jon Goff. This is a good, smart, kid who can play football. While I cannot say I hope he does really well for the Skins, I hope he does well in life, and he probably will.

Not happy that he will know a lot about the Giants’ schemes on both sides of the ball, but our division rivals know most of that already.

•  jfunk says:

Ditto. Wish he didn’t go to Washington so I could root harder for him to play well, but I’m sure he’ll be fine either way.

The comp pick formula is heavily weighted on the worth of the contract. That’s rumored to be the main determinant. However production … as measured in “honors” like Pro Bowl selection … also figure in.

The NFL keeps it secret because it’s still very much a judgment call … and they don’t want to be second guessed.

•  Dirt says:

Am I imagining things that the formula only considers guys coming off rookie deals?

I don’t think so … I believe any UFA can be considered, but I’m really not sure. I do know that cuts … like Jacobs … do not. I think there’s something about FAs signed at vet minimum …. that they may not count either. It’s alchemy …

And as such … we’re really not on track to get very much. Don’t get your hopes up. It’ll be like a 6th or something.

6.  Luv2Salsa says:

Defense Total 4
    Offense FB Joe Martinek 1
    QB Ryan Perrilloux 1
    WR Dan DePalma 1
    Offense Total 3
    ————–

Picking rosters at this point of the season are immense fun. Here is a storyline to compliment GOAT’s (early) final cut down:

Clint Sintim recovers fully from his twice torn ACL and newly torn patella tendon and meniscus and wins a spot as a pass rushing specialist.
    Witherspoon and Johnson fall victim to their 2011 injuries and logjam at CB and are cut as is practice squad hopeful Adrian Tracy.
    Fan-fav Blackburn wins a spot at MLB mostly for leadership and special teams. Jones is cut despite having started several games at MLB in 2011.
    Janzen Jackson puts his past behind him, gets religion, and beats out 4 year pro Chris Horton for the #4 safety spot.
    Chris Hopkins wowed everyone at camp showing he’s mastered the backup FB and HB roles as well as all the inline blocking and pass-catching duties. Bear Pascoe is released and signed by Washington.
    Jim Cordle unexpectedly retires, giving his roster spot to Matt McCants. Cordle tweeted, ”Hey, the guy plays the tuba. How can I compete?”
    After his 4 game suspension, with DJ Ware showing good health, Andre Brown is cut. Brown is signed and released by Washington, Dallas, and Philadelphia.
    Hixon and Barden fend off younger competition for the 5th and 6th receiver spots. Hixon is used mostly as a gunner and returner. Barden never dresses.
    Scott hangs on at running back. Gilbride tries desperately to figure out how to use him.

All kidding aside, there will be lots of drama at these spots (well, not McCants.) Unfortunately some talent will fall victim to the numbers game. Rest assured that the Giants will try to get as many of the young projects onto the practice squad as they can.

Guys whom I don’t think are entitled to the benefit of the doubt by the coaches as they do their evaluations over the course of camp and the preseason: Sintim (Reese favorite who has produced just about nothing except in preseason); Jones (nice kid, hard worker, was awful when given a chance but played well on special teams); Ware, Scott and Brown (in the fight for the last spot on the depth chart they should be judged strictly by what they produce before final cuts because none have a great resume to fall back on); Janzen Jackson (I don’t care how much talent he has, he has to be MUCH better than Horton or his criminal past should be held against him); Barden and Beckum (very little production so far and no reason to keep either around if they don’t show REALLY well in preseason).

Guys whom I think ARE entitled to extra consideration based on their body of work and character: Hixon, Blackburn, Herzlich, Paysinger, Diehl, and Tryon.

I only included players who will be on the bubble, with the exception of Herzlich, whom I think is safe. Each of the last six are players who have given extra effort and proved worthy of a chance to play at least one more year. Hixon brings return ability and great character. He may also be the best candidate for the #5 WR spot. Blackburn is the leader of the special teams, which should be really good this season and may win some games for us. He is also great depth at MLB. Herzlich has the toughness and intelligence to excel if his body has recovered just a bit more than last year. Paysinger did everything asked of him as a rookie and flew around the field making plays. Diehl is a savvy veteran and great locker room presence, and played hurt last season. Tryon played with a broken arm, and did so pretty effectively! And he plays the slot corner spot which Thomas is ticketed for but no one knows whether he’ll be close to 100% or not, and the only other one they have is a rookie with great attitude and athleticism but no experience.

•  wlubake says:

I think Diehl is safe regardless. They restructured his contract to convert money into bonus. I doubt they’ll take the cap hit of cutting him now (whereas before the restructure it would have been free to cut him).

I don’t think he was ever at risk. However at 32 he’s our oldest OLman. Baas is next at 31.

By dropping O’Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie we’ve gone from old to young in this area.

Shhh. Don’t tell kujo. But to be honest, I, too, wouldn’t mind a high pick spent on an O-lineman next April. It would be nice to add one real stud to this group.