April 29th, 2012 at 3:00 PM

The New York Giants drafted cornerback Jayron Hosley out of Virginia Tech in the third-round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Immediately following the selection, General Manager Jerry Reese referred to the rookie as "athletically arrogant," comparing his on-field skill to that of Adam "Pacman" Jones.

'IMG_5102' photo (c) 2010, Tech Sports - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

As it turns out, Hosley fits that bill to perfection.

In his very first conference call with the New York media, Hosley said he left college early to pursue a career in the NFL because the game itself had started to become too easy for him.

"Truthfully, I felt like the college game was getting a little too easy for me," Hosley said. "I wanted a challenge and it was more of a challenge in the NFL."

In 2010, Hosley led the nation with nine interceptions and followed it up with another strong 2011 campaign, but opposing quarterbacks obviously tried a little bit harder to stay away from him.

Hosley hurt his draft stock by failing a drug test at the NFL Combine (marijuana), but following a conversation with Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, the team felt confident that any issues Hosley had are a thing of the past. He reaffirmed that on Friday night, saying he's working hard to better himself.

"I definitely regret it. But it’s something that’s in the past and behind me," said Hosley.. "I’m working toward bettering myself and not letting something like this happen again ever. They trusted me and I’m thankful for that and I want to make this a worthy decision."

The 21-year-old certainly doesn't lack in confidence, and his track record proves he doesn't lack in skill either. His success in the NFL will solely depend on his motivation, work-ethic and ability to avoid off-field distraction.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “New York Giants Rookie Jayron Hosley: ‘College Game was Getting Too Easy for Me’”

1.  Samardzija says:

Haha I love it. Swag city

Our locker room is currently at the point that we can take a few risks with kids like Hosley and Jackson.

As a football player Hosley reminds me of Grimes from ATL. He’s athletically a great addition at CB because he provides a different look than Webster, TT and Prince. And provides slot CB going forward.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

When we drafted Kenny Phillips I proposed the Nickname Kenny Bad@ss. It never stuck. Although me and my brother still call him that from time to time.

I propose Jayron Hosley now be called “Swag” Hosley. It’s got a nice ring to it. Of course the name won’t stick. But it will be my fantasy football team name at the very least.

Or we could call him “schwag” Hosley for his love of weed.

4. Hey all,

I am looking to gain entry into Ironman USA on August 11th and have partnered up with a charity called Swim Free. It supports programs across the country that teach swimming to America’s youth both as a skill and as a sport. Both the initiative and the event are important to me and I was wondering if the Giants 101 community would be willing to lend a hand.

Thanks a lot guys. Below is the donation page.

5.  JBeast says:

I am gonna be honest I had no idea who this kid was when his name was called but after listen to him and watched some of his video I totally love this pick. On the other hand I saw the eagles draft as I wasnt paying attention to what they were doing, but they had a really really really good draft. I’m gonna even say they had a better draft than the giants. I’m not saying give the eagles the trophy cause we don’t know who will be and all pro and who will be a bust. But looking at their draft at this moment they did really good like an A grade giants I give B/B+ cowboys C+ skinsC+

6.  GiantHomer says:

Just finished watching the youtube video on UDFA signing FB Martinek (thanks BBWC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG1RgZBo

Remember him from some of the Sanu tapes, but his highlight is deceptively impressive. Very powerful, hard to bring down and elusive for a FB with good hands, balance and speed. Looks like a contributor on specials, with 4.40-ish speed, first 10 in 1.5! Looks bad for Bear with the new TE and Martinek.

Favorite moment (at ~7:00) was three defenders trying to bring him down which prompted a Bavarro reference (one of my favorite Giants) from the commentator. And he looks good in blue: http://twitter.com/#!/JMartJr/status/196691866710847489/photo/1

7.  rlhjr says:

Understand the crap birds had a better draft than the Giants, as did the remainder of teams selecting ahead of the Egulls. That’s the way it works when you are a loser the year before.
    Every team helped themselves. Even the dead skins. The Giants did what they almost always do……they augmented.

As a result, they will be stronger this year than last. As will other teams.
    But the Giants have the advantage of already being a pretty damn good team.

REPOST:
    I am still hoping for another running back who has enough to replace Ware.
    I love Wilson, and still like Bradshaw. But I really think the team will miss the presents of Jacobs unless a sledge hammer can be found. I like the idea of Martinek in the running back rotation. However, for someone to replace Ware, he will have to do super job of picking up protections. Replacing Jacobs blocking will simply not be done. I’ve seen more than a few elite DE give pause to charging head long into the Giants offensive backfield knowing B-Jack lie in wait for them.

That said, I feel strongly another physical runner with size can be found.
    Perhaps Martinek is the man. I do feel we’ve seen the last of Barden, Beckum, and Scott.

And do not be surprised if the survivor of the NFC East is not playing in the last game of the season. Each team with exception of Washington is a good bet.
    A winning record within this division trumps the field (IMHO). Certainly the strongest contenders in the AFC are at least a year away from actually winning a Super Bowl with exception of (as always) Pittsburgh. The Patriots schedule is like unto a BCS school taking on cream puffs.
    When they come up against teams used to playing superior talent, they will fold like a low rent lounge chair. They may not find that team prior to the playoffs.

But still, in all honesty, with the game on the line, I like the odds Eli and his offense offer. No matter what the pundits have to say, no matter the doubters, Eli is the lone QB in the NFC East who will not cave to pressure.
    He’s simply a constant that the rest of the division has no answer for.
    If as the teams brain trust suspects his offensive line functions well, and the running game regains it’s explosive nature, the Giants remain the team to beat
    The entire team is battle tested, and honestly I feel more apt to win on the road, than at home. I would like to see them get more than one home playoff game, and perhaps this is the year. But no NFC team willing to tell the truth relishes playing the New York Giants in a game the matters.

On defense, someone must step up at MIKE, and SAM. The special teams must maintain the edge they started to develop toward the end of the season.
    Finally, between the acquisition of Rivers, and the loss of Grant, another reliable safety must be found to maintain the flexibility of back end coverage and to defend against the more prolific tight ends around the league. The defensive line remains fearsome and no team boasts an advantage over them.
    MISSION POSSIBLE.

Well, I love the looks of this team but we have a long way to go before that opening Wednesday night. If you can guarantee me that our 53 best players will arrive at the stadium to battle the Cowboys healthy and raring to go then I’ll say the Giants should be favored to win another title (favored meaning their odds are better than anyone else has but that still means no better than something like 4:1 or 5:1). But we looked awfully good on paper last year before Thomas and Witherspoon and Goff went down in preseason.

The one thing that we can all predict right now with absolute confidence is that this will be the most competitive camp and preseason that this team has ever experienced. Out of the 90 who will be at OTAs there are at least 70 worthy NFL-quality players. The 53 left standing will have fended off some serious competition, which is the goal of the organization each and every year and one that most teams in the NFL can only dream of at this point. There will be a number of cuts made that will offer other teams a shot at grabbing players who would start on their squad if they were in their camp and will eventually do so if they are signed when they depart the Giants as soon as they learn their new team’s playbook and approach.

I’d still like a few more safeties and another middle linebacker/SAM, and I wouldn’t mind another center and veteran guard, but we have more than enough to field a tremendous 53-man roster if everyone stays reasonably healthy.

And let me be the first to say that the Giants’ scouts should be watching the players on USC, Alabama, Stanford and LSU very carefully for next year’s draft. I want one of the USC or ‘Bama centers (both are studs), the ‘Bama safety, and a variety pack from the others. Throw in Stephon Taylor from Stanford and the top Oregon running back as guys who bear close watching.

I’m sure there are plenty of other great college players out there, but those two centers are both crazy good and we should get one of them.

10.  Dirt says:

In full disclosure, it makes no sense to predict how the upcoming season is going to end when you’re sitting in April, but I’m going to do it anyway.

2012 is going to be a very similar season as 2011.

Starting in the AFC, you return the same heap of garbage at the quarterback position, plus Peyton Manning. The Patriots will still be playing in the garbage AFC East and already have been assigned the easiest schedule in football. Look for them in the AFC Championship game by default.

In the NFC, San Francisco also has the inside track again to the NFC Championship game. I see them pulling down the best record in the conference, unless Kolb or some other clown out there makes a fool out of me. Unlikely. And having addressed the few weaknesses, the 9ers look good.

Packers stay strong but fall a little back to Earth. Saints do enough to make the tourney in spite of the sanctions.

And the other 3 spots? Eagles, Cowboys and Giants, benefactors of the ultimate proving ground, the NFC Beast.

A couple new teams in the playoffs from the NFC, but nonetheless the Giants travel to San Francisco while the Patriots host the winner of Manning/Roethlisberger. And since it’s still January, Peyton loses, Eli wins, and, yes, Giants/Patriots III.

It never happens that way anymore. Except this year.

And Swag Hosley wins the Super Bowl MVP as an ode to Dexter Jackson.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Great prediction. And excellent job of sneaking in our 3rd round picks new nickname! I think I will include him somehow in every post I write from now on until the name “Jayron” is eliminated from g101 posts.

Swag Hosley. Let the movement begin!

p.s. Anyone here tweet a lot and know his twitter. Someone needs to propose the nickname to him. It sounds even better when you say it out loud. Rolls off the tongue like other great nicknames Shady McCoy and Boobie Cousins. Athletes need nicknames. All we have is Easy E. Lets get Swag Hosley on board.