April 16th, 2012 at 3:12 PM

With wide receiver Hakeem Nicks still under his rookie contract and signed through the 2013 season, re-signing him is not yet a top priority for the New York Giants. However, as time continues to tick away, his contract situation will become more pressing…especially since he's sure to command a lot of attention should he ever hit the free agent market.

Although Nicks is 100% committed to the Giants right now, he doesn't rule out the possibility of playing for other teams (who would?), namely the Carolina Panthers, should his contract is allowed to expire.

"You never know what the future holds," Nicks said on WFNZ in Charlotte. "Right now I am a New York Giant and it's going to be like that for the next two seasons and I really can't speak out on that."

Nicks was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina and played college football at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, so it's no real surprise that he'd consider "going home" should the opportunity present itself. That said, it's clear he's not thinking too far ahead and remains focused on bettering himself and helping the Giants repeat as Super Bowl Champions.

"I don't feel like I am too far [off from being an elite receiver]. [Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald] got some years on me. It comes with respect. The way I play and statistically I feel like I can compete on a level like that.," he said.

Ahhh. Offseason chatter. It's fun, isn't it?

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL

19 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Doesn’t Rule Out Playing for Carolina Panthers Once Contract is Up”

I sounds bad but it just means we can’t let Nicks make it to free agency or we will have to franchise him. Nicks will be here. There are some very good players I have questions about being with us long term but Nicks is not one of them.

2.  norm says:

Uhhh… it might be worth noting that Nicks made these remarks during an interview conducted by a Charlotte radio station.

What is he supposed to say, “Are you kidding? You really expect me to leave behind a Super Bowl caliber team and one of the game’s elite QB’s for an opportunity to come play for the joke of a franchise that plays in this town?”

Nicks was simply being polite. Which is not to say that he’s a certainty to re-sign here when his deal his up. But telling a North Carolina radio station that he wouldn’t rule out coming back and playing in North Carolina some day is hardly cause for any concern.

3.  Samardzija says:

In reference to the draft piece to articles back. Highly doubt we pick Sanu in the 2nd. If we havent picked a WR and the third rolls around I could see it, but not the 2nd. Not enough upside to warrant a top 64 pick.

If Stephen Hill is available, in the first, thats who I think we pick. I can see Reese having a massive hard on for him. Personally I was hoping we might have a shot at Fletcher Cox, but it seems the secret is out unfortunately.

•  norm says:

Is Cox for real?

Reason I ask is because many of the mocks I’ve seen have him going to Philly. If that’s where he winds up I obviously hope he’s a bust.

I don’t know if he’s for real but I know Philly is the lowest I have seen him in recent mocks. I have seen him at 6 on a few mocks.

•  Samardzija says:

Hes my #1 DT, so yes I think he is. Really dont hope Philly gets him.

I remember before the combine Sapp was asked which player reminded him of himself and he said Cox.

I just don’t think Sanu is a game-changer and therefore not worth even considering until the third round, largely because there is relatively similar talent available throughout the first 75-85 picks.

Now Hill? Definitely a game-changer even if just a bit raw. Must say, though, that when I watched a bit of video on him (after his name came up here on Giants 101) I was immediately struck by the thought that he looked to me like the offensive equivalent to JPP: a kid whose talent jumps off the screen but is still a bit raw. I’d live with Hixon or Jernigan as Eli’s third WR target for a season in exchange for getting this kid, who looks to me like a superstar-in-the-making.

And once again, I still think that a DE or Fleener is in the mix for the #32 pick, along with a wide receiver.

In other news, Hakeem Nicks was heard to say that when his contract expires he just might be playing in any of 32 cities, including the one he has been playing for since being drafted.

But never mind. Unless he gets injured, Jerry Reese will never allow him to get anywhere near free agency. You can make a pretty good argument that along with Eli, JPP, and I think eventually Amukamara, Mr. Nicks is one of our very few foundation stones going forward. Right below them would be Williams, Phillips, Joseph, Cruz, and possibly Beatty (assuming he takes another step up this season). But there’s no question that they MUST retain Hakeem. They will.

One player we haven’t discussed but I have seen going arounf us is Ruben Randle. I wonder what people thoughts are about him? I don’t really think he’s a first rounder. But with the LSU QB play, like Hill he needs more indepth analysis. Plus I think there are similar talents available in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I think another possible pick at 32 that we haven’t discussed looking our needs and value (maybe) is Harrison Smith the safety from ND. Safety can be seen as a big need if we are not moving a CB there. Harrison Smith is being pushed by a few analyst is a late first, early second round pick. Though, it seems to me the better value would be the Boise St safety in the second if available. If we are looking at safeties.

We could go almost all offense in this draft based on our needs.

•  Samardzija says:

As a ND fan, I feel Im done rooting for Harrison, good kid and all, but do not want..

Nope. Safety at #32 ain’t gonna happen. Of course, if Barron were to miraculously drop that would change things, but it’s unlikely to be the case.

7.  BBWC says:

Here’s my 4 round mock draft….

In order to get to #22 from #32 we need 190 points on the draft value board. With that in mind, here’s what I would do.

Osi’s trade value – Osi’s going to be 30 years old this year. So I’d put his value at a mid-second round pick (value 450 points). If Osi was 25 I’d say first round, but he’s not. So a mid-second round pick I think is fair.

Trade Osi to Cleveland for their 3rd pick 67th overall (value 255 points), and swap 1st rounds picks. Thus 255+190=445, which=Osi’s value.

#22 – DE Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus.

#63 – WR Mohamed Sanu or Nick Toon

#67 from Cleveland – G/OT Amini Silatolu

#94 – RB Robert Turbin

#127 – TE Ladarius Green or Michael Egnew

#131 – Best available Defensive back, CB or S

You may now throw rotten tomatoes and water balloons at me, for trading Osi!!!!!!

I’m not sure that point value system has the same meaning with the change in rookie contracts. While I think the trade is fairly reasonable, I don’t see a team like clevland making this trade. I think Tenn, Sea, Chi & NE are the 4 teams I see making such a move. With a 30 year old DE a team has to be in a win now mold. I think Sea & Tenn can win now and believe so internally more than most think. And of course NE & Chi fit that mold.

But this is good attempt. I prefer getting a 2nd plus maybe another later round pick rather than moving up in the 1st. I don’t think it’s worth moving up 10 slots in the first. Plus I think a 2nd round pick allows JR to best utilize his talents. There are plenty of 1st round like talents that slip into the second round.

8.  BBWC says:

This is suppose to be the 2012 draft value chart. It’s what used. http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php
    Only reason I moved up first round was to secure one of the top DE to replace Osi.
    So people wouldn’t be so hard on me :-D

9.  kujo says:

Thinking about putting together a thread on the message boards to keep track of everyone’s mock predictions. Anyone interested?

(Could we put a link to it on the bottom of the articles between now and the draft? Maybe even put a brief article together announcing it? I’d be willing to throw it together)